|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tara's family go to eat in Chapter 16?
2. Looking out at the audience, Tara recalls a story about her grandmother and mother freezing onstage at what in Chapter 13?
3. Sam suffers from what condition in the novel?
4. When was Kissing Doorknobs published?
5. In Chapter 13, Tara's parents even see the positive influence that who has on Tara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christmas Day end for Tara in Chapter 14?
2. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
3. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
4. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
5. What is Tara's first meeting with Dr. Susan Leopardi like in Chapter 19?
6. What do Tara and Donna spend Christmas doing in Chapter 14? What does Tara ask Donna?
7. How does Tara relate her school studies to her own life in Chapter 21?
8. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
9. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
10. How does Tara feel about Sam's impending visit in Chapter 18? How does she greet him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the family of Donna to Tara's family. How are Donna's parents similar to Tara's? How do they differ? How does Donna feel about her mother versus her father? Do these feelings correspond to Tara's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that religious obsession plays in obsessive-compulsive disorder. What other symptoms are significant which are displayed by Tara in the narrative? Would you have diagnosed Tara as OCD based upon her behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)