|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Jacobson tell Tara and her parents he believes she has in Chapter 17?
2. When Sam visits Tara's family in Chapter 18, he explains that he was afraid of what?
3. In Chapter 19, who asks Tara about her condition?
4. In Chapter 21, Tara says that she's studying what in school?
5. What does Tara say she is frightened of and wants to begin therapy without it in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara relate her school studies to her own life in Chapter 21?
2. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
3. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
4. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
5. What question does Tara ask her teacher in Chapter 21? Who in the class understands Tara's question?
6. How has Tara's emotional life evolved in Chapter 13?
7. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
8. How does Tara feel about Sam's impending visit in Chapter 18? How does she greet him?
9. What new behavior has Tara adopted in the beginning of Chapter 15?
10. What treatment has Sam received for his condition? How does Tara relate to his discussion about OCD in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the family of Donna to Tara's family. How are Donna's parents similar to Tara's? How do they differ? How does Donna feel about her mother versus her father? Do these feelings correspond to Tara's? Why or why not?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)