|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what grade is Tara in Chapter 13?
2. Tara's new psychiatrist explains that the condition is a disease of the brain, not what, in Chapter 19?
3. What kind of therapy involves exposing yourself to the thing you are most afraid of, and realizing that it is irrational?
4. According to the Afterword, Sam's explanation of the chemical causes of OCD in the novel is accurate: it is an imbalance in what?
5. Tara blames her friend's pregnancy on whom in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
2. What is Tara's first meeting with Dr. Susan Leopardi like in Chapter 19?
3. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
4. How does Tara describe her analysis of her dream from the beginning of the novel in Chapter 23?
5. How does Tara's treatment with Susan Leopardi begin in Chapter 20?
6. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
7. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
8. What does Tara go with Donna to purchase in Chapter 20? Why?
9. What conflict takes place between Tara and her father in Chapter 17?
10. What question does Tara ask her teacher in Chapter 21? Who in the class understands Tara's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that religious obsession plays in obsessive-compulsive disorder. What other symptoms are significant which are displayed by Tara in the narrative? Would you have diagnosed Tara as OCD based upon her behavior? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna in the narrative. How old are the girls? What are their relationships with each other like? How do these friends feel about Tara and her quirks? How do their relationships evolve and change throughout the novel?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)