|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity would Sam compulsively do, according to his story in Chapter 18?
2. What does Tara say she is frightened of and wants to begin therapy without it in Chapter 19?
3. What does Tara do when Keesha says "Damn!" in Chapter 21?
4. When Sam visits Tara's family in Chapter 18, he explains that he was afraid of what?
5. Where do Tara and Donna go shopping in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
2. How does Tara describe her experience in the Christmas play in Chapter 13?
3. What does Tara go with Donna to purchase in Chapter 20? Why?
4. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
5. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
6. How does Tara describe her family in Chapter 23?
7. What new behavior has Tara adopted in the beginning of Chapter 15?
8. What is Tara's first meeting with Dr. Susan Leopardi like in Chapter 19?
9. What question does Tara ask her teacher in Chapter 21? Who in the class understands Tara's question?
10. How does Tara describe her relationship with Sam in Chapter 23? How has Tara grown by the novel's end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define theme in narrative literature, and analyze the theme of isolation in the novel. How does Tara's character exhibit isolation? How has Tara become more isolated than ever before in Chapter 9? Is Tara's isolation self-inflicted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)