|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara's new psychiatrist explains that the condition is a disease of the brain, not what, in Chapter 19?
2. When was Kissing Doorknobs published?
3. What does Tara's family read after dinner in Chapter 16?
4. How old was Tara when she first heard "Step on a crack, break your mother's back"?
5. What does Tara do during the play she performs in in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
2. How has Tara's emotional life evolved in Chapter 13?
3. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
4. How does Tara describe her analysis of her dream from the beginning of the novel in Chapter 23?
5. How does Christmas Day end for Tara in Chapter 14?
6. How does Tara's treatment with Susan Leopardi begin in Chapter 20?
7. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
8. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
9. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
10. What treatment has Sam received for his condition? How does Tara relate to his discussion about OCD in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)