|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara tells her new psychiatrist that she looks like what, in Chapter 19?
2. What do Tara and Donna go to purchase in Chapter 20?
3. What is one factor of Sam's recovery, as explained in Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 19, who asks Tara about her condition?
5. According to the Afterword, Sam's explanation of the chemical causes of OCD in the novel is accurate: it is an imbalance in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara relate her school studies to her own life in Chapter 21?
2. What does Tara go with Donna to purchase in Chapter 20? Why?
3. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
4. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
5. What do Tara and Donna spend Christmas doing in Chapter 14? What does Tara ask Donna?
6. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
7. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
8. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
9. How has Tara's emotional life evolved in Chapter 13?
10. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)