|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tara do after her routing of putting her fingers on the doorknob in Chapter 15?
2. What question does Tara greet Sam with when he arrives in Chapter 18?
3. In Chapter 19, who asks Tara about her condition?
4. Who wrote the Afterword to the novel?
5. In Chapter 23, Tara says that she has figured out the dream she had at the beginning of the novel: The monster she was afraid of was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe her analysis of her dream from the beginning of the novel in Chapter 23?
2. How does Tara's treatment with Susan Leopardi begin in Chapter 20?
3. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
4. What conflict takes place between Tara and her father in Chapter 17?
5. What is Tara's first meeting with Dr. Susan Leopardi like in Chapter 19?
6. How does Tara feel about Sam's impending visit in Chapter 18? How does she greet him?
7. How does Tara describe her experience in the Christmas play in Chapter 13?
8. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
9. What new behavior has Tara adopted in the beginning of Chapter 15?
10. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Tara's first experiences with stealing. What drives Tara back to confess in Chapter 12? How does this reflect Tara's morals? How does Father O'Malley react to Tara's confession? When before has Tara discussed the priest? What are her feelings about him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
Essay Topic 3
Define theme in narrative literature, and analyze the theme of isolation in the novel. How does Tara's character exhibit isolation? How has Tara become more isolated than ever before in Chapter 9? Is Tara's isolation self-inflicted? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)