|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara blames her friend's pregnancy on whom in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 17, when Tara does her doorknob thing in front of her father, he gets angry when she won't stop what?
3. According to the Afterword, OCD affects about what percentage of the population in adults?
4. What does Tara do during the play she performs in in Chapter 13?
5. Tara tells her new psychiatrist that she looks like what, in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe her family in Chapter 23?
2. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
3. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
4. What treatment has Sam received for his condition? How does Tara relate to his discussion about OCD in Chapter 18?
5. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
6. What is the purpose of the book's Afterword? Who is it written by and what does it contain?
7. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
8. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
9. How does Christmas Day end for Tara in Chapter 14?
10. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Tara's father's medical condition. What led to his heart attack, and how serious was his condition at the hospital? How does Tara's father's heart attack affect Tara's relationship with her mother? How is Greta affected by her father's hospitalization?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the climax of the narrative and the character of Mr. Jacobson in the novel. How does Tara's father know Mr. Jacobson? What questions does Mr. Jacobson ask Tara?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)