|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Tara greet Sam with when he arrives in Chapter 18?
2. What does Tara's mother do at first to discourage her from doing "the doorknob thing" in Chapter 15?
3. Where do Donna and Tara go so that Donna can smoke in Chapter 14?
4. What does Tara's new psychiatrist say when Tara tells her she hates her in Chapter 20?
5. Who has become pregnant in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new behavior has Tara adopted in the beginning of Chapter 15?
2. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
3. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
4. What is Tara's first meeting with Dr. Susan Leopardi like in Chapter 19?
5. How does Christmas Day end for Tara in Chapter 14?
6. What does Tara go with Donna to purchase in Chapter 20? Why?
7. How has Tara's emotional life evolved in Chapter 13?
8. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
9. How does Tara describe her analysis of her dream from the beginning of the novel in Chapter 23?
10. What question does Tara ask her teacher in Chapter 21? Who in the class understands Tara's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Tara's experience at the carnival in Chapter 10. In what ways is this a pinnacle of demoralization for Tara? How does Tara's mother feel about her behavior? How does Tara's father react to the situation? What major lesson does Tara learn?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that religious obsession plays in obsessive-compulsive disorder. What other symptoms are significant which are displayed by Tara in the narrative? Would you have diagnosed Tara as OCD based upon her behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)