|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. Who does Tara ask if they think she is crazy in Chapter 6?
3. What word refers to a woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for her brave deeds and noble qualities?
4. The American Legion was founded by veterans returning from what war?
5. Who offers to beat up Tara's parents for her in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
2. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
3. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
4. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
5. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
6. How does Tara find security in religion, as illustrated in Chapter 6?
7. What leads Tara to study religion in Chapter 6? How is this perceived by her family?
8. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
9. How is the character of Greta depicted in Chapter 7?
10. What does Tara do after feeling humiliated in front of her schoolmates in Chapter 1? How does she feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)