|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tara take from a store in Chapter 12?
2. What word means to repeat, duplicate, or reproduce, especially for experimental purposes?
3. What school friend of Tara's is described as a jock?
4. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself?
5. What refers to distress or uneasiness of mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
2. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
3. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
4. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
5. Discuss the emotion in Chapter 9 between Tara and Keesha. How does Tara react to pushing her friend?
6. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
7. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
8. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
9. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
10. What draws Tara to Donna as a person in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Tara's experience at the carnival in Chapter 10. In what ways is this a pinnacle of demoralization for Tara? How does Tara's mother feel about her behavior? How does Tara's father react to the situation? What major lesson does Tara learn?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify dramatic irony and the tragic hero in narrative literature. How many different types of irony are there, and why does dramatic irony fit the situation in Chapter 3? Why is Tara's character tragic? What is ironic about her situation with her friends and family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that religious obsession plays in obsessive-compulsive disorder. What other symptoms are significant which are displayed by Tara in the narrative? Would you have diagnosed Tara as OCD based upon her behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,713 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)