|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to a woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for her brave deeds and noble qualities?
2. The captain of the volleyball team screams at Tara for what in Chapter 3?
3. What school friend of Tara's is concerned with her weight?
4. What refers to distress or uneasiness of mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune?
5. In Chapter 4, Tara invents excuses why she cannot walk with people, while she devotes all her attention to doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
2. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
3. How are the relationships between Tara and her friends described in Chapter 7?
4. What does Tara do after feeling humiliated in front of her schoolmates in Chapter 1? How does she feel?
5. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
6. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
7. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
8. What is Tara's response when confronted about her behavior by a friend in Chapter 4? How do her friends react?
9. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
10. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss both religious allusion and the narrative voice in the novel. Is the novel written in present or past tense? From whose point of view? What religion is Tara? How does she feel about her religion? Why does Tara find solace in religion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)