|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara's mother asks her what happened to whom in Chapter 4, causing Tara to lie in response?
2. To whom does Tara pray to when she is frightened at home alone in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 10, Tara says of her mother, "I wanted to run to her and stroke her hair and tell her it was only" what?
4. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself?
5. What refers to content underneath the spoken dialogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe the phrase that began her problems in Chapter 1?
2. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
3. How is the character of Greta depicted in Chapter 7?
4. What is Tara's response when confronted about her behavior by a friend in Chapter 4? How do her friends react?
5. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
6. How have Tara's relationships with her friends changed by seventh grade?
7. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
8. What leads Tara to study religion in Chapter 6? How is this perceived by her family?
9. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
10. How does Tara find security in religion, as illustrated in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify dramatic irony and the tragic hero in narrative literature. How many different types of irony are there, and why does dramatic irony fit the situation in Chapter 3? Why is Tara's character tragic? What is ironic about her situation with her friends and family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss anorexia and the female self image. What percentage of teenage girls today suffer from low self image? How does this relate to body issues and weight? What self image do each of Tara's friends project? How does each relate to Tara?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the climax of the narrative and the character of Mr. Jacobson in the novel. How does Tara's father know Mr. Jacobson? What questions does Mr. Jacobson ask Tara?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)