|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tara take from a store in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 8, Tara says that her parents "release their anxiety by fighting about money, movies, friends" and what?
3. Tara's father says that Tara's mother has PMS, "which he defined as" what in Chapter 10?
4. Who approaches Tara angry because they don't hang out anymore in Chapter 12?
5. Who gets angry at Tara and even threatens to kill her in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
2. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
3. What causes unexpected trauma in Tara's life in Chapter 10?
4. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
5. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
6. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
7. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
8. What leads Tara to study religion in Chapter 6? How is this perceived by her family?
9. How have Tara's relationships with her friends changed by seventh grade?
10. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna in the narrative. How old are the girls? What are their relationships with each other like? How do these friends feel about Tara and her quirks? How do their relationships evolve and change throughout the novel?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)