|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Keesha says that she is afraid of whom?
2. What nun does Tara have negative thoughts about in Chapter 5?
3. Why has Donna taken to wearing sunglasses all the time in Chapter 11?
4. What does Tara take from a store in Chapter 12?
5. What does Tara's mother do because of Tara's behavior at the carnival in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
2. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
3. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
4. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
5. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
6. How are the relationships between Tara and her friends described in Chapter 7?
7. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
8. How is Donna described in Chapter 11?
9. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
10. How does Tara describe her best friends in Chapter 3? What grade is Tara in at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify internal and external conflict in narrative literature. What conflicts does Tara face internally? What conflicts does she face in the world? How are these related in this novel? In what ways does Tara struggle with her own mind, and how does this struggle manifest itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the climax of the narrative and the character of Mr. Jacobson in the novel. How does Tara's father know Mr. Jacobson? What questions does Mr. Jacobson ask Tara?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)