|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tara's mother run to after a scene at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. When was the American Legion founded?
3. In Chapter 7, Tara says that the summer between fifth and sixth grades was almost normal, although she would not do what?
4. In Chapter 2, Tara awakes from a nightmare in which what is coming through her neighborhood?
5. Keesha does not allow Tara to walk where alone in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
2. What does Tara do after feeling humiliated in front of her schoolmates in Chapter 1? How does she feel?
3. What draws Tara to Donna as a person in Chapter 11?
4. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
5. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
6. How does Tara describe the phrase that began her problems in Chapter 1?
7. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
8. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
9. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
10. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Tara's experience at the carnival in Chapter 10. In what ways is this a pinnacle of demoralization for Tara? How does Tara's mother feel about her behavior? How does Tara's father react to the situation? What major lesson does Tara learn?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)