|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the part of narrative where the main part happens or the most dramatic part?
2. In Chapter 4, Tara says that "invisible ____ had snuck into my brain."
3. What word means to repeat, duplicate, or reproduce, especially for experimental purposes?
4. What did Donna call Tara because she looked spongy and blond in Chapter 11?
5. What school friend of Tara's is described as a jock?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
2. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
3. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
4. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
5. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
6. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
7. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
8. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
9. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
10. How does Tara describe her best friends in Chapter 3? What grade is Tara in at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the family of Donna to Tara's family. How are Donna's parents similar to Tara's? How do they differ? How does Donna feel about her mother versus her father? Do these feelings correspond to Tara's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify internal and external conflict in narrative literature. What conflicts does Tara face internally? What conflicts does she face in the world? How are these related in this novel? In what ways does Tara struggle with her own mind, and how does this struggle manifest itself?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss anorexia and the female self image. What percentage of teenage girls today suffer from low self image? How does this relate to body issues and weight? What self image do each of Tara's friends project? How does each relate to Tara?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)