|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Tara says that she is afraid of what?
2. What diagnosis does the family internist give for Tara's condition in Chapter 6?
3. What school does Donna attend in Chapter 11?
4. Who wonders if Tara's condition is their fault in Chapter 6?
5. Who says that she doesn't need to starve herself to feel special in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
2. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
3. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
4. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
5. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
6. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
7. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
8. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
9. How is Donna described in Chapter 11?
10. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Tara's experience at the carnival in Chapter 10. In what ways is this a pinnacle of demoralization for Tara? How does Tara's mother feel about her behavior? How does Tara's father react to the situation? What major lesson does Tara learn?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)