|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to content underneath the spoken dialogue?
2. Who confronts Tara about her eccentric behavior in Chapter 4?
3. When was the American Legion founded?
4. Who does Tara go to speak to after leaving the store in Chapter 12?
5. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Keesha says that she is afraid of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
3. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
4. How does Tara describe her experience in the Christmas play in Chapter 13?
5. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
6. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
7. How does Tara describe her relationship with Sam in Chapter 23? How has Tara grown by the novel's end?
8. How is Donna described in Chapter 11?
9. What do Tara and Donna spend Christmas doing in Chapter 14? What does Tara ask Donna?
10. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Tara Sullivan as the protagonist of "Kissing Doorknobs". How old is Tara in Chapter 1? What can be discerned about her personality? How does Tara evolve and grow as a character throughout the narrative? How old is Tara at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify dramatic irony and the tragic hero in narrative literature. How many different types of irony are there, and why does dramatic irony fit the situation in Chapter 3? Why is Tara's character tragic? What is ironic about her situation with her friends and family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss anorexia and the female self image. What percentage of teenage girls today suffer from low self image? How does this relate to body issues and weight? What self image do each of Tara's friends project? How does each relate to Tara?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)