|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes that Tara's condition is just a passing stage in Chapter 6?
2. Tara thinks "Keesha is" what in Chapter 5?
3. What does Tara repeatedly do on a ride at the carnival in Chapter 10?
4. The American Legion was founded by veterans returning from what war?
5. Tara's mother tells Tara that she did what when she was young in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What treatment has Sam received for his condition? How does Tara relate to his discussion about OCD in Chapter 18?
2. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
3. What conflict takes place between Tara and her father in Chapter 17?
4. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
5. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
6. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
7. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
8. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
9. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
10. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss both religious allusion and the narrative voice in the novel. Is the novel written in present or past tense? From whose point of view? What religion is Tara? How does she feel about her religion? Why does Tara find solace in religion?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family of Donna to Tara's family. How are Donna's parents similar to Tara's? How do they differ? How does Donna feel about her mother versus her father? Do these feelings correspond to Tara's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Tara's first experiences with stealing. What drives Tara back to confess in Chapter 12? How does this reflect Tara's morals? How does Father O'Malley react to Tara's confession? When before has Tara discussed the priest? What are her feelings about him?
This section contains 1,750 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)