|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, in fear of her sinful thoughts, Tara says that she begins to do what?
2. Who does Tara's mother run to after a scene at the carnival in Chapter 10?
3. When Tara and her friends are looking at magazines in Chapter 7, who exclaims how good the models look?
4. What school friend of Tara's is described as a jock?
5. Tara's mother tells Tara that she did what when she was young in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Tara evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to Chapter 22?
2. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
3. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
4. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
5. How does Tara relate her school studies to her own life in Chapter 21?
6. What treatment does Dr. Leopardi suggest in Chapter 19? How difficult does she tell Tara it will be?
7. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
8. What leads up to Tara's stealing in Chapter 12? What does she do after stealing?
9. What treatment has Sam received for his condition? How does Tara relate to his discussion about OCD in Chapter 18?
10. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze Tara Sullivan as the protagonist of "Kissing Doorknobs". How old is Tara in Chapter 1? What can be discerned about her personality? How does Tara evolve and grow as a character throughout the narrative? How old is Tara at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
This section contains 1,747 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)