Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to content underneath the spoken dialogue?
2. Who confronts Tara about her eccentric behavior in Chapter 4?
3. When was the American Legion founded?
4. Who does Tara go to speak to after leaving the store in Chapter 12?
5. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Keesha says that she is afraid of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
3. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
4. How does Tara describe her experience in the Christmas play in Chapter 13?
5. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
6. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
7. How does Tara describe her relationship with Sam in Chapter 23? How has Tara grown by the novel's end?
8. How is Donna described in Chapter 11?
9. What do Tara and Donna spend Christmas doing in Chapter 14? What does Tara ask Donna?
10. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Define theme in narrative literature, and analyze the theme of isolation in the novel. How does Tara's character exhibit isolation? How has Tara become more isolated than ever before in Chapter 9? Is Tara's isolation self-inflicted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Tara's first experiences with stealing. What drives Tara back to confess in Chapter 12? How does this reflect Tara's morals? How does Father O'Malley react to Tara's confession? When before has Tara discussed the priest? What are her feelings about him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Tara's experience at the carnival in Chapter 10. In what ways is this a pinnacle of demoralization for Tara? How does Tara's mother feel about her behavior? How does Tara's father react to the situation? What major lesson does Tara learn?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)