|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Tara says that the summer between fifth and sixth grades was almost normal, although she would not do what?
2. In Chapter 10, Tara says of her mother, "I wanted to run to her and stroke her hair and tell her it was only" what?
3. What does Tara do after stealing in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 8, Tara's father spends more and more time and energy transforming the American Legion into "a community center filled with life, laughter and piles of" what?
5. Tara thinks "Keesha is" what in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara describe her experience in the Christmas play in Chapter 13?
2. How does Christmas Day end for Tara in Chapter 14?
3. What fortunes are read by Tara's family at the Chinese restaurant in Chapter 16?
4. How does Tara relate her school studies to her own life in Chapter 21?
5. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
6. What does Mr. Jacobson make of Tara in Chapter 17? What questions does he ask her?
7. What does Sam bring Tara in Chapter 22? Why?
8. How does Tara's mother feel after taking Tara to a doctor in Chapter 15? How has Tara's behavior progressed?
9. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
10. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify internal and external conflict in narrative literature. What conflicts does Tara face internally? What conflicts does she face in the world? How are these related in this novel? In what ways does Tara struggle with her own mind, and how does this struggle manifest itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
This section contains 1,763 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)