|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara asks Donna how she can do what after going to Communion in Chapter 11?
2. What is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or some intangible quality or idea?
3. Who does Tara ask if they think she is crazy in Chapter 6?
4. Donna says that she's heard that Tara's family outings are what, in Chapter 11?
5. What is Donna's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. Discuss the emotion in Chapter 9 between Tara and Keesha. How does Tara react to pushing her friend?
3. What causes unexpected trauma in Tara's life in Chapter 10?
4. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
5. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
6. How is Donna described in Chapter 11?
7. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
8. What does Tara relate about her family and her relationship with her father in Chapter 8?
9. What draws Tara to Donna as a person in Chapter 11?
10. How does Tara describe the phrase that began her problems in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of language and style in literature and in the novel. How is language used in "Kissing Doorknobs"? How is it used thematically with Tara's character? How do the characters interact with one another? Does this differ from how Tara's internal mind thinks?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss both religious allusion and the narrative voice in the novel. Is the novel written in present or past tense? From whose point of view? What religion is Tara? How does she feel about her religion? Why does Tara find solace in religion?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)