|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tara go after leaving the store in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 4, Tara says that "invisible ____ had snuck into my brain."
3. Who asks Tara whether she has ever stolen anything in Chapter 12?
4. What diagnosis does the family internist give for Tara's condition in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 2, Tara awakes from a nightmare in which what is coming through her neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
2. How are the relationships between Tara and her friends described in Chapter 7?
3. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
4. How does Tara come to feel about Keesha in Chapter 5? Why? What does this evolve into?
5. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
6. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
7. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
8. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
9. How has Greta's relationship with Tara shifted between Chapter 7 and Chapter 8?
10. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define theme in narrative literature, and analyze the theme of isolation in the novel. How does Tara's character exhibit isolation? How has Tara become more isolated than ever before in Chapter 9? Is Tara's isolation self-inflicted? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna in the narrative. How old are the girls? What are their relationships with each other like? How do these friends feel about Tara and her quirks? How do their relationships evolve and change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that religious obsession plays in obsessive-compulsive disorder. What other symptoms are significant which are displayed by Tara in the narrative? Would you have diagnosed Tara as OCD based upon her behavior? Why or why not?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)