|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to beat up Tara's parents for her in Chapter 6?
2. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Anna says that she is afraid of whom?
3. What word means to repeat, duplicate, or reproduce, especially for experimental purposes?
4. Chapter 3 starts in what grade, which Tara says that is the best year of her life?
5. In Chapter 10, Tara says of her mother, "I wanted to run to her and stroke her hair and tell her it was only" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes unexpected trauma in Tara's life in Chapter 10?
2. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
3. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
4. How does Tara describe her best friends in Chapter 3? What grade is Tara in at this point?
5. How does Tara find security in religion, as illustrated in Chapter 6?
6. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
7. What does Tara do after feeling humiliated in front of her schoolmates in Chapter 1? How does she feel?
8. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
9. What does Tara overhear her parents saying about her in Chapter 6? How does Tara feel about the situation?
10. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Tara's first experiences with stealing. What drives Tara back to confess in Chapter 12? How does this reflect Tara's morals? How does Father O'Malley react to Tara's confession? When before has Tara discussed the priest? What are her feelings about him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)