|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tara's mother run to after a scene at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. How many times does Tara repeat her prayers before leaving the house when she's afraid in Chapter 8?
3. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Anna says that she is afraid of whom?
4. When Tara asks Donna why she hangs out with her, Donna says that she admires the way Tara can do what, in Chapter 12?
5. When Tara and her friends are looking at magazines in Chapter 7, who exclaims how good the models look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tara do after feeling humiliated in front of her schoolmates in Chapter 1? How does she feel?
2. How are the relationships between Tara and her friends described in Chapter 7?
3. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
4. Discuss the emotion in Chapter 9 between Tara and Keesha. How does Tara react to pushing her friend?
5. How have Tara's relationships with her friends changed by seventh grade?
6. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
7. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
8. What does Tara relate about her family and her relationship with her father in Chapter 8?
9. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
10. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)