|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What verb means to break down the courage of completely, as by sudden danger or trouble?
2. Tara sees "the kindness and generosity underneath" Donna's what, in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 6, in fear of her sinful thoughts, Tara says that she begins to do what?
4. Tara asks Donna how she can do what after going to Communion in Chapter 11?
5. Who says that she doesn't need to starve herself to feel special in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
2. Discuss the emotion in Chapter 9 between Tara and Keesha. How does Tara react to pushing her friend?
3. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
4. How does Chapter 11 serve the plot of the narrative? How do the events in this chapter relate to those in Chapter 10?
5. How does Tara come to feel about Keesha in Chapter 5? Why? What does this evolve into?
6. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
7. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
8. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
9. How does Tara describe her relationship to religion in Chapter 2?
10. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna in the narrative. How old are the girls? What are their relationships with each other like? How do these friends feel about Tara and her quirks? How do their relationships evolve and change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of fear and Tara's fears in the narrative. What has led to Tara's fear of losing her parents? How is Tara's condition affected when her father is hospitalized? How does the isolation from her friends affect Tara? What does Tara claim her greatest fear is in the novel?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)