|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Tara repeat her prayers before leaving the house when she's afraid in Chapter 8?
2. What is, according to a Christian theological doctrine, humanity's state of sin resulting from the Fall of Man?
3. Tara says that she doesn't tell her mother that she worries all the time, but by what month does school begin getting harder for her in Chapter 3?
4. What does Tara do after stealing in Chapter 12?
5. Tara's mother asks her what happened to whom in Chapter 4, causing Tara to lie in response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange does Tara describe with Mrs. Scott in Chapter 1? What causes Tara's humiliation?
2. How does Tara defend her friendship with Donna to Keesha in Chapter 12?
3. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
4. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
5. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
6. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
7. How does Tara deal with her parents' absence while they are at work in Chapter 8?
8. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
9. In terms of character arc, where is Tara in Chapter 10? How is this chapter an imprint on her character?
10. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss anorexia and the female self image. What percentage of teenage girls today suffer from low self image? How does this relate to body issues and weight? What self image do each of Tara's friends project? How does each relate to Tara?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the family of Donna to Tara's family. How are Donna's parents similar to Tara's? How do they differ? How does Donna feel about her mother versus her father? Do these feelings correspond to Tara's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define theme in narrative literature, and analyze the theme of isolation in the novel. How does Tara's character exhibit isolation? How has Tara become more isolated than ever before in Chapter 9? Is Tara's isolation self-inflicted? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)