|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Tara awakes from a nightmare in which what is coming through her neighborhood?
2. Tara sees "the kindness and generosity underneath" Donna's what, in Chapter 11?
3. When Tara and her friends are looking at magazines in Chapter 7, who exclaims how good the models look?
4. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
5. What refers to content underneath the spoken dialogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
2. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
3. How have Tara's relationships with her friends changed by seventh grade?
4. How has Greta's relationship with Tara shifted between Chapter 7 and Chapter 8?
5. How does Tara view language in Chapter 5? Why?
6. What takes place at the carnival in Chapter 10?
7. How does Tara describe the phrase that began her problems in Chapter 1?
8. How does Tara find security in religion, as illustrated in Chapter 6?
9. How is the character of Greta depicted in Chapter 7?
10. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss intrusive thoughts as symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. How are intrusive thoughts defined? How are these symptomatic of OCD? How do intrusive thoughts differ from things like a passing crush or worry about a test? What are examples of intrusive thoughts in Tara's character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of sexuality in the novel. How do Donna and Tara's views on sexuality differ? When before has Tara discussed sexuality? What is the result of Donna's having unprotected sex? Who does Tara blame for Donna's pregnancy?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)