|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school friend of Tara's is described as a jock?
2. Tara tells her parents that the teacher told the class to call the police if they saw their parents doing what in Chapter 3?
3. What name does Keesha call Tara in Chapter 5?
4. Who does Tara's mother run to after a scene at the carnival in Chapter 10?
5. What do Tara's friends invite her to do for their Little League games in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara feel about her inward thoughts in Chapter 5?
2. How has Tara's erratic behavior evolved at the beginning of Chapter 4? What does Tara do about her condition?
3. What does Tara relate about her family and her relationship with her father in Chapter 8?
4. How do Tara and their friends describe their personal fears in Chapter 3?
5. What causes unexpected trauma in Tara's life in Chapter 10?
6. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
7. How does Tara describe her relationship with her mother in Chapter 2? How does she describe her friends?
8. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
9. What awakens Tara in Chapter 2? Who does she turn to for reassurance?
10. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss stereotypes in the novel and in real life. How realistic are the characters of Keesha, Kristin and Anna? Are these stereotypes realistic depictions of people you can relate to? Why or why not? Is there a basis in the stereotypes? Are they simply Tara's way of identifying people?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify internal and external conflict in narrative literature. What conflicts does Tara face internally? What conflicts does she face in the world? How are these related in this novel? In what ways does Tara struggle with her own mind, and how does this struggle manifest itself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the character of Greta in the narrative. How old is Greta in relation to Tara? What is Greta's relationship with Tara like? How does Greta get along with her family? How does Greta prove her loyalty to Tara as a sister in the novel?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)