|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Christianity, what is for the majority the rite of admission into the Christian Church generally and also membership of a particular church tradition?
2. When was the American Legion founded?
3. How old is Tara when she meets Donna in Chapter 11?
4. What does Tara do after stealing in Chapter 12?
5. What refers to the act of holding back, controlling, or checking?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara find security in religion, as illustrated in Chapter 6?
2. How does Tara describe her best friends in Chapter 3? What grade is Tara in at this point?
3. How is the character of Greta depicted in Chapter 7?
4. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
5. What does Tara reveal to Donna about herself in Chapter 12? What is Donna's reaction?
6. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
7. What is Tara's response when confronted about her behavior by a friend in Chapter 4? How do her friends react?
8. What does Tara relate about her family and her relationship with her father in Chapter 8?
9. How does Tara come to feel about Keesha in Chapter 5? Why? What does this evolve into?
10. What is Tara's response to being kicked off the volleyball team in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss both religious allusion and the narrative voice in the novel. Is the novel written in present or past tense? From whose point of view? What religion is Tara? How does she feel about her religion? Why does Tara find solace in religion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss anorexia and the female self image. What percentage of teenage girls today suffer from low self image? How does this relate to body issues and weight? What self image do each of Tara's friends project? How does each relate to Tara?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tara's father's medical condition. What led to his heart attack, and how serious was his condition at the hospital? How does Tara's father's heart attack affect Tara's relationship with her mother? How is Greta affected by her father's hospitalization?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)