|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Emily interrupt Tara from doing compulsively in Chapter 1?
(a) Arranging the dishes.
(b) Arranging the food.
(c) Washing her hands.
2. Tara says that she is sent to what classes starting in first grade in Chapter 2?
3. The American Legion was founded by veterans returning from what war?
(a) World War II.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War I.
4. What catch phrase does Tara begin hearing over and over in her head as described in Chapter 1?
(a) "Sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me."
(b) "I'm rubber, you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you."
(c) "Step on a crack, break your mother's back."
(d) "Mary, Mary, quite contrary."
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tara's mother do because of Tara's behavior at the carnival in Chapter 10?
2. Tara's mother tells Tara that she did what when she was young in Chapter 3?
3. When Tara and her friends share their fears in Chapter 3, Anna says that she is afraid of whom?
4. What classmates see Tara get reprimanded by her neighbor in Chapter 1?
5. Who approaches Tara angry because they don't hang out anymore in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara come to feel about Keesha in Chapter 5? Why? What does this evolve into?
2. How does Tara describe the summer between fifth and sixth grades in Chapter 7?
3. What is tragic about the image that Tara projects about herself versus the reality in Chapter 3?
4. How have Tara's relationships with her friends changed by seventh grade?
5. How does Tara describe the phrase that began her problems in Chapter 1?
6. How does Tara feel after the incident at the carnival in Chapter 10? What new fear has arisen?
7. How does Tara describe her best friends in Chapter 3? What grade is Tara in at this point?
8. What does Tara relate about her family and her relationship with her father in Chapter 8?
9. What leads Tara to study religion in Chapter 6? How is this perceived by her family?
10. Discuss the emotion in Chapter 9 between Tara and Keesha. How does Tara react to pushing her friend?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)