|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they find in Rudolph's secret compartment?
2. What is the name of the psychological condition that Cross thinks of in regard to the Gentleman Caller and Casanova?
3. What were the underground cellars called on the Underground Railroad?
4. Why does Casanova believe Rudolph was so unstable in California?
5. Where does Casanova know that everything can be traced back to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Craig tell Cross after they have uncovered the twenty-third victim in the mass grave?
2. What do Cross and Kate do and what impresses Cross that Kate has done for the occasion?
3. What is one of the Caller's most private secrets about the women that he chooses?
4. When Cross finds Naomi what does she tell him and what does he realize about himself?
5. What does Cross find in the newspaper accounts of the Tierney/Hutchinson murders that makes him think he has information about Casanova?
6. What wakes Naomi up and what does she think this indicates?
7. What does Sampson ask Cross about Kate and what is Cross's response?
8. What is Kate's condition and how does Cross describe his relationship to Kate to his friend Sampson?
9. What happens after Kate knocks Ruskin to the ground?
10. What does the Gentleman Caller feel inside himself as he watches Juliette's husband leave for work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Naomi and Kate. Compare them in regards to intelligence, character, perseverance, and strength.
Essay Topic 2
While Cross and Sampson are very close friends and both police detectives, they too very different paths to arrive at this same place. Describe their different paths. Why do you think such different paths lead to the same career? Why do you believe they are so close?
Essay Topic 3
What role do you believe racism plays in this novel as a theme? Do you feel it is appropriately represented? Why or why not?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)