|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the investigators use pickaxes to dig up the meadow near the killer's lair?
2. Who comes into Naomi's room at the end of this section?
3. What does Casanova believe is Cross' weak point?
4. What does Nana Mama tell Cross that he needs?
5. What does Cross do when he finds Naomi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sampson ask Cross about Kate and what is Cross's response?
2. When Kate watches the suspect go into the hospital what conclusions does she come to about him being Casanova?
3. What plan does Casanova believe will allow him and Rudolph to beat Cross?
4. What does Cross see as he examines Rudolph's apartment?
5. What does the Gentleman Caller feel inside himself as he watches Juliette's husband leave for work?
6. What is one of the Caller's most private secrets about the women that he chooses?
7. Describe Kate's recovery at this point in the novel.
8. What does Cross find in the newspaper accounts of the Tierney/Hutchinson murders that makes him think he has information about Casanova?
9. What does Rudolph tell the ladies of Casanova's harem and what does he instruct them to do?
10. When Cross finds Naomi what does she tell him and what does he realize about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For Cross this case was very personal. Do you believe policemen should be allowed to work on cases they have a personal connection to? Why or why not? Do you think Cross would have been just as effective and diligent had he not been personally involved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What events cause Cross and Sampson to be stopped by the local police? How do they react to this situation? In what way do the events of this even with the local police prove Cross and Sampson to be similar to Casanova and Rudolph?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe the author provided enough clues for the reader to decipher the true identity of Casanova? Why or why not? Do you believe a good mystery should be able to be solved by the reader? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)