|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Casanova look for his prey?
2. Where does Kate believe the mask Casanova wears might be from?
3. What does Cross indicate to Sampson he will not consider at all?
4. What does Cross think may have happened to Bette Anne Ryerson?
5. What is Anna doing as Casanova watches her through the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Casanova think about the Gentleman Caller and why does he think this way?
2. What information does Mary Ellen share with Cross when he pays her a visit in his investigation into his missing niece?
3. What is the surprise that Casanova has planned for the girls and what does he tell Naomi afterward?
4. What information does Detective Nick Ruskin call to share with Cross?
5. What does Cross begin to think about Casanova and his reasons for possibly taking Naomi?
6. What happens to Kate after she escapes and runs through the woods trying to get away from Casanova?
7. Describe Casanova as he enters Kate's room for the first time now that she is awake.
8. What is Dr. Cross doing with his family when he is interrupted and what causes the interruption?
9. What writer does Casanova think about and how does this relate to the things he does with the women he holds captive?
10. What impresses Naomi about Kate and what does she finally answer Kate's pleas for information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of twinning used in multiple ways in this novel? Describe at least three different ways that the concept was used throughout this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is the idea of staking out used by both the police and the killers within this novel? Which group do you believe does it more effectively? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What role do you believe racism plays in this novel as a theme? Do you feel it is appropriately represented? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)