|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does Lieberman share with Cross about the Gentleman Caller and Casanova?
2. How do Ruskin and Cross describe Kate's survival and escape?
3. What happened to Kate McTiernan?
4. What is Casanova holding when all of the women meet him in the living room?
5. How does Cross think Casanova feels at stumping him and the other authorities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Casanova do as Cross meets with Mary Ellen and what is he thinking during this time?
2. Describe the details that Kate shares with Cross to help him with the psychological profile.
3. What does Casanova think about the Gentleman Caller and why does he think this way?
4. What impresses Naomi about Kate and what does she finally answer Kate's pleas for information?
5. What is the surprise that Casanova has planned for the girls and what does he tell Naomi afterward?
6. What during the hypnosis causes Kate to cry and what does this cause her to ask Cross for?
7. What writer does Casanova think about and how does this relate to the things he does with the women he holds captive?
8. What does Cross begin to think about Casanova and his reasons for possibly taking Naomi?
9. What information does Detective Nick Ruskin call to share with Cross?
10. What does Dr. Cross' family wonder in regards to the police investigation and what was Sampson told about this issue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For Cross this case was very personal. Do you believe policemen should be allowed to work on cases they have a personal connection to? Why or why not? Do you think Cross would have been just as effective and diligent had he not been personally involved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Cross' relationship with his family. How does this relationship help him throughout the novel? How does it prove to be a hindrance?
Essay Topic 3
What role do you believe racism plays in this novel as a theme? Do you feel it is appropriately represented? Why or why not?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)