|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Katie invite to go camping with her after Lynn gets sick?
2. What makes Katie's father laugh?
3. What does Katie steal from the hatchery?
4. What does Katie do after Lynn's body is taken away?
5. Who comes to watch Katie and Sammy while Lynn is at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie hear the night after the picnic?
2. What does Katie's mother tell her she must do when they get home from the hospital?
3. What does Katie realize while she washes dishes after Lynn's body is taken away?
4. What does Aunt Fumi say when Katie asks why Katsu is not a land surveyor anymore?
5. How does Sammy get hurt while on the picnic?
6. What happens at the funeral that makes Katie fearful?
7. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
8. How does this book end?
9. What does Katie do when she hears that Amber is not friends with Lynn anymore?
10. What does Katie write in her essay about Lynn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cynthia Kadohata have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Katie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)