|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Katie's parents doing when she goes into Lynn's room just after her death?
2. What game does Katie play while Lynn is in the hospital?
3. Why is Katie unable to sleep very well when Lynn's condition worsens?
4. What does Katie dig through for relics of Lynn?
5. What does Lynn do with the milk and water that Katie brings her one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie steal from the hatchery, and what does she do with what she steals?
2. How does Sammy get hurt while on the picnic?
3. How much money are Katie and Lynn able to save for their house, and what does their mother do when they show her?
4. What happens when Uncle Katsu gets the truck stuck on a cliff?
5. What happens when Katie's mother calls from the hospital while Fumi and Katsu are watching Katie and Sammy?
6. What do Katie and Sammy do at the hatchery?
7. How does Katie find out what is really wrong with Lynn?
8. What does Katie hear the night after the picnic?
9. What does Katie realize that means, to her, she is now a big girl?
10. What does Aunt Fumi say when Katie asks why Katsu is not a land surveyor anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Katie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)