|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree is outside the new house?
2. Who takes care of Lynn during the day when her condition worsens?
3. What makes Katie's father laugh?
4. What color does Lynn turn while Sammy is injured?
5. How many votes does the union pass by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Katie's mother calls from the hospital while Fumi and Katsu are watching Katie and Sammy?
2. What does Hank do when they get to the hospital?
3. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
4. What does Katie do on her eleventh birthday?
5. How does this book end?
6. What does Katie hear the night after the picnic?
7. What does Aunt Fumi say when Katie asks why Katsu is not a land surveyor anymore?
8. What does Katie realize while she washes dishes after Lynn's body is taken away?
9. What color is the house Lynn picks out, and why does she choose this house?
10. What does Katie do after she finds out what is really wrong with Lynn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how is the plot altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)