|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lynn and Katie once throw from the roof of their house?
2. What do Katie and Lynn buy for their picnic?
3. What does Katie's father break when he is angry?
4. What does Katie listen to at night after the picnic?
5. What is Lynn too tired to do the day after Katie's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie's mother tell her she must do when they get home from the hospital?
2. What does Silly do before she leaves Katie's house on her birthday, and why?
3. What does Katie do on her eleventh birthday?
4. What does Katie do when she hears that Amber is not friends with Lynn anymore?
5. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
6. How does Sammy get hurt while on the picnic?
7. What is the first thing that Lynn and Amber disagree about?
8. What does Katie see when she goes into Lynn's room just after she dies?
9. What does Aunt Fumi say when Katie asks why Katsu is not a land surveyor anymore?
10. What happens when Uncle Katsu gets the truck stuck on a cliff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Katie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Father and Katsu were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their families, and their roles in the plot?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)