|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the picnic take place?
2. Who goes with Katie to find what is left at the picnic site?
3. What does Katie dig through for relics of Lynn?
4. What are the names of Katsu's twin boys?
5. What does Lynn think of Katie and Silly in their pretend band?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Katie find out what is really wrong with Lynn?
2. What does Katie realize while she washes dishes after Lynn's body is taken away?
3. What does Katie do on her eleventh birthday?
4. What does Katie see when she goes into Lynn's room just after she dies?
5. What does Katie do when she hears that Amber is not friends with Lynn anymore?
6. What color is the house Lynn picks out, and why does she choose this house?
7. What does Katie steal from the hatchery, and what does she do with what she steals?
8. What does Katie write in her essay about Lynn?
9. What do Katie and Sammy do at the hatchery?
10. What does Aunt Fumi say when Katie asks why Katsu is not a land surveyor anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cynthia Kadohata have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Katie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)