|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lynn really sick with?
2. What does Katie see in a trash can at the hatchery that she hides from Sammy?
3. How long do Buddhists say it takes for the spirit to leave the earth after the body dies?
4. What is Lynn too tired to do the day after Katie's birthday?
5. What does Katie's father do that gets him fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sammy and Lynn look as Hank drives them to the hospital?
2. What does Katie see when she goes into Lynn's room just after she dies?
3. How does Sammy get hurt while on the picnic?
4. How does this book end?
5. What does Katie realize that means, to her, she is now a big girl?
6. How much money are Katie and Lynn able to save for their house, and what does their mother do when they show her?
7. What does Katie steal from the hatchery, and what does she do with what she steals?
8. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
9. What does Katie do after she finds out what is really wrong with Lynn?
10. What does Hank do when they get to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how is the plot altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 3
There were many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)