|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie see in a trash can at the hatchery that she hides from Sammy?
2. What do Katie's parents talk about at night after the picnic?
3. What has Lynn stopped doing since she got sick?
4. What does Amber think of Katie and Silly's pretend band?
5. What is Lynn really sick with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie realize that means, to her, she is now a big girl?
2. How does Katie find out what is really wrong with Lynn?
3. What happens when Uncle Katsu gets the truck stuck on a cliff?
4. How does Sammy get hurt while on the picnic?
5. What gets Katie's father fired, and what does he say to Katie about it?
6. What does Katie steal from the hatchery, and what does she do with what she steals?
7. What happens at the funeral that makes Katie fearful?
8. What does Katie realize while she washes dishes after Lynn's body is taken away?
9. What is the first thing that Lynn and Amber disagree about?
10. What does Katie do after she finds out what is really wrong with Lynn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Father and Katsu were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their families, and their roles in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)