|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Katie's family move at the beginning of the book?
2. How long does it take for Lynn to win a game of chess against Katsu?
3. What does Mother do in the car during her break?
4. What are Katie and Lynn playing with the chess set when Katsu sees them?
5. What does Lynn misplace in the move?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
2. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
3. What happens to Lynn when Katie is 10-and-a-half-years old?
4. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
5. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
6. What is Katie's mother worried about when they prepare to move to Georgia, and what is Katie's father's response to this?
7. What does Silly say that makes Katie feel guilty?
8. What does the woman at the hotel say when Father tries to rent a room?
9. What does kira-kira mean, and why is it so important to Katie?
10. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)