|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie's mother say would happen if a union were formed at work?
2. Where does Katsu practice his chess moves?
3. What does Katie think Lynn is doing with the boys she goes with while camping?
4. Where does Lynn stay for the first week of summer?
5. What do Lynn's parents do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie do that makes her parents angry with her, and how does she respond?
2. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
3. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
4. What do Katie and Lynn do while waiting in the car in St. Louis?
5. Why does Katie feel so out of place on her first day of school?
6. What happens when a dog attacks Katie and Lynn when they are young?
7. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
8. What does the woman at the hotel say when Father tries to rent a room?
9. How does the swamp near the plant that Mother works at get its name?
10. What does Lynn write about in her journal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at the funeral, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)