|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katsu buy in a pawn shop in Nashville?
2. What is the first big city they stop in on their drive to Georgia?
3. What does Katsu teach Amber to do?
4. What is wrong with the bathroom in the new apartment in Georgia?
5. What do Father and Katsu do on the first day Katsu is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the nurses act when Mother has another baby?
2. What happens to Lynn when Katie is 10-and-a-half-years old?
3. What is the job of the man that Katie sees in the parking lot of her mother's plant?
4. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
5. What do Father and Uncle Katsu do the night before the big move to Georgia?
6. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
7. What kind of discrimination is found in the plant where Mother works?
8. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
9. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
10. What does Katsu do in Nashville, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity and aging were strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how significant are they to the plot?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)