|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lynn dream about the night after seeing the doctor?
2. What does Katie ask Lynn while she is sick?
3. What is Katie's favorite book?
4. What volume of the Encyclopedia Brittanica does Lynn own?
5. How does Katie's family move at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color is the house Lynn picks out, and why does she choose this house?
2. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
3. How do Sammy and Lynn look as Hank drives them to the hospital?
4. What is Father's job at the hatchery?
5. How much money are Katie and Lynn able to save for their house, and what does their mother do when they show her?
6. What does Lynn hope to do to make money when she is older?
7. What does kira-kira mean, and why is it so important to Katie?
8. What is the first thing that Lynn and Amber disagree about?
9. How does this book end?
10. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Lynn and Katie change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)