|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kira-kira mean?
2. How long is the drive to Mother's workplace?
3. Who does Amber almost kill at the camp?
4. How does Katie save Lynn's life the same night Lynn saved hers?
5. What does the girl in the parking lot give Sammy for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the swamp near the plant that Mother works at get its name?
2. What does Lynn tell Katie when she wakes up after the rabbit hunt, and how does Katie feel about this?
3. What does Lynn hope to do to make money when she is older?
4. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
5. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
6. What does Lynn write about in her journal?
7. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
8. What happens when Mother comes home from work with Katie and Sammy?
9. What happens when Katie goes hunting with Uncle Katsu?
10. What kind of discrimination is found in the plant where Mother works?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Maturity and aging were strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how significant are they to the plot?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)