|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What volume of the Encyclopedia Brittanica does Lynn own?
2. What does Katie eat when Lynn leaves her at the camp?
3. What does Mother find when she returns home from work with Katie and Sammy?
4. What does Lynn do to save Katie when she is 5-years-old?
5. What does Lynn want more than anything in the world at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Katsu do to get the girls to stop crying during the drive?
2. What is Father's job at the hatchery?
3. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
4. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
5. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
6. What does Katsu do in Nashville, and why?
7. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
8. What is Katie's mother worried about when they prepare to move to Georgia, and what is Katie's father's response to this?
9. What happens when Katie goes hunting with Uncle Katsu?
10. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways that Lynn and Katie show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)