Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the plant does Mother work in at the beginning of the summer?
2. Where does Katsu practice his chess moves?
3. What word does Father use to describe Lynn when she is sick in bed?
4. What does the girl in the parking lot give Sammy for the first time?
5. What does Katsu do when he loses the last chess match against Lynn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Lynn when Katie is 10-and-a-half-years old?
2. Why does Katie feel so out of place on her first day of school?
3. How does this book end?
4. What is the first thing that Lynn and Amber disagree about?
5. How does Katie find out what is really wrong with Lynn?
6. What does Katie do for her mother just after Lynn dies?
7. What does Lynn write about in her journal?
8. What does Katie see when she goes into Lynn's room just after she dies?
9. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
10. What does Katie hear the night after the picnic?
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Father and Katsu were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their families, and their roles in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cynthia Kadohata have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)