|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie light on fire when she goes camping with Lynn and her best friend?
2. What is wrong with the kitchen in the new apartment in Georgia?
3. What do the adults tell the girls to do in the first big city they stop in on their drive to Georgia?
4. Why does Mother make Katie and Sammy sleep in the living room the night after they spend the day in the car?
5. What is the first big city they stop in on their drive to Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Father and Uncle Katsu do the night before the big move to Georgia?
2. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
3. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
4. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
5. Where does Lynn say she wants to live when she gets older?
6. Why does Katie feel so out of place on her first day of school?
7. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
8. What does Lynn hope to do to make money when she is older?
9. What does Katie do that makes her parents angry with her, and how does she respond?
10. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity and aging were strong themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how significant are they to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how is the plot altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)