|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the plant does Mother work in at the beginning of the summer?
2. What does the girl in the parking lot give Sammy for the first time?
3. What do the adults tell the girls to do in the first big city they stop in on their drive to Georgia?
4. What do the girls do during the beginning of their trip in the truck?
5. What does Lynn get hit in the chest with that sends her to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katie do after she finds out what is really wrong with Lynn?
2. What do Katie and Lynn do while waiting in the car in St. Louis?
3. What is Father's job at the hatchery?
4. What does Uncle Katsu do to get the girls to stop crying during the drive?
5. What kind of discrimination is found in the plant where Mother works?
6. What happens at the funeral that makes Katie fearful?
7. Where does Lynn say she wants to live when she gets older?
8. What happens when Uncle Katsu gets the truck stuck on a cliff?
9. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
10. What is the first thing that Lynn and Amber disagree about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cynthia Kadohata have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)