|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lynn do when she wakes up from her dream the night after seeing the doctor?
2. What word does Father use to describe Lynn when she is sick in bed?
3. What are Katie and Lynn playing with the chess set when Katsu sees them?
4. Why does Mother tell Katie she cannot go into the plant with her?
5. What does Katie stand on to look into the plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
2. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
3. What is the job of the man that Katie sees in the parking lot of her mother's plant?
4. What do Katie and Lynn do while waiting in the car in St. Louis?
5. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
6. How do the nurses act when Mother has another baby?
7. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
8. How does the swamp near the plant that Mother works at get its name?
9. What does Katsu do in Nashville, and why?
10. What does Silly do in order to spend more time with Katie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Cynthia Kadohata have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Death and mortality were two integral themes of this plot. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the main characters?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)