|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the male chicks at the poultry hatchery?
2. What does Katsu buy in a pawn shop in Nashville?
3. Where does Katie's uncle live?
4. What does Sammy do at the Muramoto's house?
5. What do Father and Katsu do on the first day Katsu is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman at the hotel say when Father tries to rent a room?
2. What happens when a dog attacks Katie and Lynn when they are young?
3. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
4. What does kira-kira mean, and why is it so important to Katie?
5. How do the nurses act when Mother has another baby?
6. What kind of discrimination is found in the plant where Mother works?
7. What does Uncle Katsu do to get the girls to stop crying during the drive?
8. What is Katie's mother worried about when they prepare to move to Georgia, and what is Katie's father's response to this?
9. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
10. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What happens at the funeral, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Father and Katsu were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their families, and their roles in the plot?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)