|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katie's mother say would happen if a union were formed at work?
2. How does Katie feel about school?
3. What does Katie do that makes her parents angry with her?
4. Who stays with Lynn the second day she is in bed?
5. What is the first big city they stop in on their drive to Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Katie feel so out of place on her first day of school?
2. What does Lynn dream about while she is sick?
3. What do Katie and Lynn do while waiting in the car in St. Louis?
4. What happens to Lynn when Katie is 10-and-a-half-years old?
5. How do the nurses act when Mother has another baby?
6. Where does Lynn say she wants to live when she gets older?
7. How does the swamp near the plant that Mother works at get its name?
8. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
9. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
10. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens at the funeral, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scene there, and what does this monumental event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Silly was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)