|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Katsu practice his chess moves?
2. What is Katie's favorite book?
3. Why does Mother make Katie and Sammy sleep in the living room the night after they spend the day in the car?
4. What does Katie ask Lynn while she is sick?
5. What happens to the male chicks at the poultry hatchery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the man that Katie sees in the parking lot of her mother's plant?
2. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
3. What does Lynn hope to do to make money when she is older?
4. What does kira-kira mean, and why is it so important to Katie?
5. What is Father's job at the hatchery?
6. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
7. What do Katie and Lynn do while waiting in the car in St. Louis?
8. What is Katie's mother worried about when they prepare to move to Georgia, and what is Katie's father's response to this?
9. What does Katie do with Sammy at night?
10. What do the girls misplace during the moving process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)