|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Lynn to win a game of chess against Katsu?
2. What is an antebellum home?
3. What is next to Brenda when Katie sees her?
4. How long is the drive to Mother's workplace?
5. What is the name of the girl who talks to Katie in the parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman at the hotel say when Father tries to rent a room?
2. What kind of discrimination is found in the plant where Mother works?
3. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
4. What happens when Katsu teaches Amber to shoot a bow and arrow?
5. What does Silly say that makes Katie feel guilty?
6. What does Katsu do in Nashville, and why?
7. What does Katie do that makes her parents angry with her, and how does she respond?
8. What does Lynn dream about while she is sick?
9. What is Father's job at the hatchery?
10. What does Lynn hope to do to make money when she is older?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Father and Katsu were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their characters, their families, and their roles in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the Takeshima siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how does their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)