|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Katie stay for the first week of summer?
2. What does Lynn do when she wakes up from her dream the night after seeing the doctor?
3. What does Lynn want to save her daily allowance for?
4. What is the name of the swamp Mother passes on her way to work?
5. How long is the drive to Mother's workplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman at the hotel say when Father tries to rent a room?
2. What does Katie say she would change about the plant if she owned it, and why?
3. What happens when Mother comes home from work with Katie and Sammy?
4. What does Silly say that makes Katie feel guilty?
5. What does Katsu talk about while Lynn is off with Amber and some boys?
6. What is Katie's dream romance when she is at camp?
7. What does Silly do in order to spend more time with Katie?
8. What does Lynn tell Katie when she wakes up after the rabbit hunt, and how does Katie feel about this?
9. What happens when Uncle Katsu challenges Lynn to a game of chess?
10. What does Katsu do in Nashville, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivations throughout the book, and explain how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Lynn and Katie change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)