|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Edmund the office of Earl of Gloucester?
2. Who tells Kent of a plot against the King?
3. Who tells Kent of Cordelia's response to his letter?
4. When Gloucester is brought in and tied up, he asks Regan, Goneril, and Cornwall to not mistreat him because why?
5. Edgar, in his disguise as Poor Tom, agrees to lead Gloucester to the cliffs at which place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornwall link the villainy in Edmund's family?
2. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
3. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
4. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
5. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
6. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
7. What caused Lear's madness?
8. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
9. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
10. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Would Edgar would make a good King of England? Why or why not? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)