|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
2. Edmund laments promising himself to both sisters and figures out that the only way he is going to enjoy one of them is for what to happen?
3. When Goneril and Edmund travel to Albany's palace, what happens between them?
4. The doctor wants Lear to wake up and servants carry Lear into the doctor on what?
5. Who makes Lear sleep while they are in the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
2. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
3. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
4. What caused Lear's madness?
5. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
6. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
7. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
8. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
9. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
10. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)