|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who poisoned Regan?
2. Who tells Gloucester that Edmund betrayed him?
3. Cordelia says she is guiding the French army against the English only because of what?
4. Goneril thinks that Gloucester should suffer what punishment?
5. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
2. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
3. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
4. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
5. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
6. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
7. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
8. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
9. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
10. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters of Regan and Goneril change from the moment that they are first introduced until their deaths? Are their deaths just? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What character traits of King Lear appear in his daughters and how do these traits affect his relationships with his daughters? Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)