|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edmund says it will be best, and will support his story, if he finds Gloucester doing what?
2. Regan suspects that Goneril and Edmund are doing what?
3. Where does Act 4, Scene 3 take place?
4. The doctor wants Lear to wake up and servants carry Lear into the doctor on what?
5. Who tells Kent of Cordelia's response to his letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Lear's madness?
2. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
3. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
4. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
5. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
6. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
7. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
8. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
9. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
10. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)