|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
2. Edmund says it will be best, and will support his story, if he finds Gloucester doing what?
3. When Gloucester is brought in and tied up, he asks Regan, Goneril, and Cornwall to not mistreat him because why?
4. Goneril thinks that Gloucester should suffer what punishment?
5. Regan complains about not feeling well while fighting with whom about Edmund?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
2. How did Cordelia respond to Kent's letter, according to the gentleman?
3. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
4. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
5. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
6. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
7. What caused Lear's madness?
8. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
9. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
10. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of the play's ending? Is the ending hopeful, dramatic, pessimistic, mysterious or something else? Why might Shakespeare have chosen to end the play in this manner? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Animals are used in the play to describe various characters. Why does Shakespeare use animals to describe the characters instead of something else? What theme does this connect to? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters of Regan and Goneril change from the moment that they are first introduced until their deaths? Are their deaths just? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)