|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is leading a blind Gloucester into the heath?
2. On the battlefield, Edgar sets Gloucester by a tree and tells him to pray for what?
3. The stage directions have the battle between the English and the French taking place where?
4. Cordelia says that France is not fighting the English with which motivation?
5. Edmund laments promising himself to both sisters and figures out that the only way he is going to enjoy one of them is for what to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
2. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
3. Who opposes Albany's position with the King?
4. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
5. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
6. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
7. How did Cordelia respond to Kent's letter, according to the gentleman?
8. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
9. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
10. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 3
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)