|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lear says that wickedness is only punished in the poor and that wickedness isn't punished in the rich because they are protected by what?
2. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
3. Edmund promises not to allow Albany to have mercy on whom after the battle?
4. On the battlefield, Edgar sets Gloucester by a tree and tells him to pray for what?
5. Where do Lear, The Fool, Kent, and Gloucester go when they leave the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornwall link the villainy in Edmund's family?
2. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
3. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
4. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
5. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
6. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
7. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
8. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
9. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
10. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of the play's ending? Is the ending hopeful, dramatic, pessimistic, mysterious or something else? Why might Shakespeare have chosen to end the play in this manner? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)