|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the battlefield, Edgar sets Gloucester by a tree and tells him to pray for what?
2. Cordelia has what quality that her sisters lack?
3. When the King recognizes Cordelia, this is seen as a sign of what?
4. Cordelia enters Act 4, Scene 4 with what instruments sounding?
5. After Cornwall's death, who leads his army?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
2. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
3. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
4. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
5. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
6. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
7. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
8. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
9. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
10. What caused Lear's madness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
Essay Topic 3
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)