|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the battlefield, Edgar sets Gloucester by a tree and tells him to pray for what?
2. Albany arrests who for treason?
3. Where does Act 3, Scene 5 take place?
4. Where does Act 4, Scene 3 take place?
5. Who poisoned Regan?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
2. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
3. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
4. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
5. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
6. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
7. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
8. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
9. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
10. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)