|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Goneril die?
2. When the King recognizes Cordelia, this is seen as a sign of what?
3. Regan complains about not feeling well while fighting with whom about Edmund?
4. Edmund tells a captain to kill Cordelia and make it look like what?
5. When Gloucester is brought in and tied up, he asks Regan, Goneril, and Cornwall to not mistreat him because why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
2. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
3. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
4. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
5. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
6. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
7. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
8. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
9. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
10. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the tone of the play's ending? Is the ending hopeful, dramatic, pessimistic, mysterious or something else? Why might Shakespeare have chosen to end the play in this manner? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)