|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Kent of a plot against the King?
2. Cordelia says she is guiding the French army against the English only because of what?
3. Cornwall says that Gloucester's villainy may be the cause of who's villainy?
4. Gloucester greets the news of the English taking prisoners with what thoughts?
5. Regan thinks that Gloucester should suffer what punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
2. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
3. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
4. How does Edgar use his father's blindness to trick him?
5. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
6. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
7. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
8. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
9. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
10. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 2
One of the first things that King Lear does is give up his kingdom. The end result is chaos for England. Using examples from the play, discuss whether you think this was a mistake by King Lear and how the play shows whether this was a mistake by King Lear or not.
Essay Topic 3
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)