|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
2. Who tells Kent of a plot against the King?
3. Who gives Edmund the office of Earl of Gloucester?
4. Where does the battle take place?
5. Edmund laments promising himself to both sisters and figures out that the only way he is going to enjoy one of them is for what to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
2. How does Cornwall link the villainy in Edmund's family?
3. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
4. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
5. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
6. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
7. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
8. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
9. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
10. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, how does King Lear move toward a greater knowledge of the world and himself through his actions and experiences? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)