|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing the news of Cornwall's death, Albany vows to take revenge for what act of Cornwall's?
2. Edgar, in his disguise as Poor Tom, agrees to lead Gloucester to the cliffs at which place?
3. Who is leading a blind Gloucester into the heath?
4. Regan promises a promotion to Oswald if he finds and kills who?
5. While Lear is in the town near the French encampment, he doesn't want to see Cordelia because he feels what?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
2. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
3. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
4. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
5. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
6. What caused Lear's madness?
7. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
8. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
9. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
10. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)