|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the King recognizes Cordelia, this is seen as a sign of what?
2. Who loses the battle according to the news Edgar brings?
3. While Lear is in the town near the French encampment, he doesn't want to see Cordelia because he feels what?
4. Who states that Goneril is a better soldier than Albany?
5. Where does the battle take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who opposes Albany's position with the King?
2. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
3. What caused Lear's madness?
4. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
5. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
6. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
7. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
8. How does Edgar use his father's blindness to trick him?
9. How did Cordelia respond to Kent's letter, according to the gentleman?
10. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)