|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Kent of a plot against the King?
2. Who loses the battle according to the news Edgar brings?
3. Who makes Lear sleep while they are in the farmhouse?
4. Who kills Oswald?
5. How does Edmund die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
2. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
3. What caused Lear's madness?
4. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
5. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
6. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
7. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
8. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
9. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
10. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of the play's ending? Is the ending hopeful, dramatic, pessimistic, mysterious or something else? Why might Shakespeare have chosen to end the play in this manner? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)