|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cordelia has what quality that her sisters lack?
2. Who loses the battle according to the news Edgar brings?
3. Gloucester greets the news of the English taking prisoners with what thoughts?
4. Who gives Edmund the office of Earl of Gloucester?
5. What has to happen in order for Edgar to be reunited with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
2. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
3. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
4. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
5. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
6. Who opposes Albany's position with the King?
7. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
8. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
9. What caused Lear's madness?
10. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
Essay Topic 2
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, how does King Lear move toward a greater knowledge of the world and himself through his actions and experiences? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)