|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regan complains about not feeling well while fighting with whom about Edmund?
2. Lear says that wickedness is only punished in the poor and that wickedness isn't punished in the rich because they are protected by what?
3. The stage directions have the battle between the English and the French taking place where?
4. Who was captured by the English army?
5. The messenger who delivers the news of Cornwall's death to Albany and Goneril also delivers a letter to Goneril from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
2. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
3. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
4. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
5. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
6. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
7. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
8. What caused Lear's madness?
9. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
10. How does Edgar use his father's blindness to trick him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the definition of a hero? Using examples from the play, is there a hero in King Lear? If so, who is it and why? If not, why is there no hero in the play?
Essay Topic 2
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)