|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Edmund the office of Earl of Gloucester?
2. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
3. Edgar stops in the middle of what area when he tells Gloucester that they are on a cliff?
4. Who tells Kent of Cordelia's response to his letter?
5. Cordelia enters Act 4, Scene 4 with what instruments sounding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Animals are used in the play to describe various characters. Why does Shakespeare use animals to describe the characters instead of something else? What theme does this connect to? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the play, King Lear goes mad and recovers. In what ways does King Lear contribute to his madness and recovery, and in what ways is the madness thrust upon him? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)