|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 3, Scene 3 take place?
2. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
3. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
4. What did Oswald's letter from Goneril cause Regan and Cornwall to do?
5. What does Oswald say after Kent draws his sword?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
2. The storm is distracting the King from what?
3. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
4. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
5. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
6. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
7. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
8. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
9. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
10. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)