|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Here's a night pities neither wise man nor fool"?
2. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
3. While Kent warns the gentleman of the coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall, what are the spies of France doing?
4. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
5. Who says, "I am a man / More sinned against than sinning" ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
2. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
3. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
4. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
5. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
6. What caused Lear's madness?
7. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
8. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
9. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
10. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
Essay Topic 1
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)