|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name Edgar uses in place of his own?
2. What is Edmund going to do in order to assure Gloucester that his brother's intent isn't to hurt Gloucester?
3. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
4. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
5. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
2. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
3. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
4. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
5. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
6. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
7. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
8. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
9. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
10. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, King Lear goes mad and recovers. In what ways does King Lear contribute to his madness and recovery, and in what ways is the madness thrust upon him? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)