|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The paper Edmund has, which he is going to show to Gloucester as proof of his brother's treachery, says that the older generation should do what with their riches?
2. To whom is Gloucester loyal?
3. Edmund tells his brother that he fears someone has turned Gloucester against him and then tells his brother to do what?
4. Edgar hides in what location to escape his pursuers?
5. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
2. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
3. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
4. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
5. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
6. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
7. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
8. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
9. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
10. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)