|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester in order to do what?
2. Oswald and Kent meet in front of what structure?
3. Edgar hides in what location to escape his pursuers?
4. Gloucester orders Edgar captured and killed because Gloucester thinks Edgar did what to Edmund?
5. Who says: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
4. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
5. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
6. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
7. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
8. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
9. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
10. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 2
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)