|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Here's a night pities neither wise man nor fool"?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
3. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
4. Who is Edmund's father?
5. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
2. How does Edmund incite his father into a rage against Edgar?
3. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
4. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
5. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
6. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
7. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
8. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
9. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
10. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Would Edgar would make a good King of England? Why or why not? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)