|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
2. What is the name of the person who stands up for Cordelia when her father disinherits her?
3. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
4. Gloucester blames the effects of what for affecting relationships?
5. How many daughters does King Lear have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
2. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
3. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
4. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
5. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
6. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
7. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
8. The storm is distracting the King from what?
9. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
10. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would Edgar would make a good King of England? Why or why not? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Animals are used in the play to describe various characters. Why does Shakespeare use animals to describe the characters instead of something else? What theme does this connect to? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)