|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lear says that the weather is not unkind in its actions of a storm because why?
2. Who is the protagonist in the play?
3. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
4. What do Regan and Goneril believe is affecting the King's mind?
5. When Lear sees Kent in the stocks, he asks Kent what question?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
4. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
5. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
6. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
7. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
8. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
9. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
10. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does King Lear portray service? Who serves? What sort of authority and relationships are related to service in the play? Does service, as used in the play, belong to family or to the state? Why? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)