|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
2. Who carries a torch and finds the King and company in the forest?
3. Oswald is what relation to Goneril?
4. Who says: "Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise"
5. When Edmund tells his brother that his father is horribly angry with him, what does Edmund advise his brother to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
4. Goneril wants King Lear to leave her home and go where?
5. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
6. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
7. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
8. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
9. What is the point of Act 2, Scene 3?
10. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things that King Lear does is give up his kingdom. The end result is chaos for England. Using examples from the play, discuss whether you think this was a mistake by King Lear and how the play shows whether this was a mistake by King Lear or not.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 3
Would Edgar would make a good King of England? Why or why not? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)