|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
2. Who says: "Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise"
3. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do to his hair?
4. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
5. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
2. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
3. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
4. Goneril wants King Lear to leave her home and go where?
5. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
6. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
7. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
8. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
9. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
10. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 3
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)