|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
2. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
3. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
4. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do to his hair?
5. Cornwall and Regan administer what punishment to Kent?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Regan and Cornwall order Gloucester not to let the King back into the castle, Gloucester tells Edmund that he plans to do what?
2. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
3. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
4. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
5. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
6. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
7. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
8. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
9. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
10. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
One of the first things that King Lear does is give up his kingdom. The end result is chaos for England. Using examples from the play, discuss whether you think this was a mistake by King Lear and how the play shows whether this was a mistake by King Lear or not.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)