|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
2. Curan holds what position in society?
3. Edmund cuts his arm with what weapon after he and Edgar pretend to fight?
4. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
5. Lear states that Edgar is the natural man, after his ravings, because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
2. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
3. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
4. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
5. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
6. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
7. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
8. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
9. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
10. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, King Lear goes mad and recovers. In what ways does King Lear contribute to his madness and recovery, and in what ways is the madness thrust upon him? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)