|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
2. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
3. The Fool calls King Lear a fool for doing what?
4. What event caused the Fool to pine away?
5. What does Edmund have that is supposedly from his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
3. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
4. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
5. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
6. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
7. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
8. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
9. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
10. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
What character traits of King Lear appear in his daughters and how do these traits affect his relationships with his daughters? Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters of Regan and Goneril change from the moment that they are first introduced until their deaths? Are their deaths just? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)