|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do to his hair?
2. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
3. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
4. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester in order to do what?
5. Goneril and Cornwall order Gloucester to do what if Lear returns to the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
2. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
3. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
4. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
5. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
6. How does Edgar use his father's blindness to trick him?
7. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
8. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
9. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
10. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, how does King Lear move toward a greater knowledge of the world and himself through his actions and experiences? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)