|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester to whom?
2. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
3. How much love does Cordelia say she will give her husband?
4. When Lear sees Kent in the stocks, he asks Kent what question?
5. What is the name of the person who stands up for Cordelia when her father disinherits her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
2. The storm is distracting the King from what?
3. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
4. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
5. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
6. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
7. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
8. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
9. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
10. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Act 4, Scene 6 we are told that there is reason in madness. Using examples from the play, discuss the truth or falsehood of this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Animals are used in the play to describe various characters. Why does Shakespeare use animals to describe the characters instead of something else? What theme does this connect to? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)