|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
2. Who carries a torch and finds the King and company in the forest?
3. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
4. When Lear sees Kent in the stocks, he asks Kent what question?
5. Who delivers King Lear's letter to his other daughter, while the King is at Goneril's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
2. How does Edmund incite his father into a rage against Edgar?
3. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
4. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
5. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
6. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
7. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
8. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
9. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
10. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 2
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)