|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
2. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
3. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
4. Kent repeatedly calls Oswald by what name?
5. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
2. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
3. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
4. When Lear arrives at Regan's castle, what is one of the actions Regan takes to show that she is selfish?
5. The storm is distracting the King from what?
6. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
7. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
8. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
9. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
10. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several words that are repeated throughout King Lear. Choose two of the words from the list below and discuss what their use means to the play and the characters in the play.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does King Lear symbolize a good king or a bad king, or both? What qualities does he posses that a king should (or should not) possess? What actions does he take that reinforces your opinion? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)