|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
2. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
3. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do for clothing?
4. Gloucester blames the effects of what for affecting relationships?
5. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
2. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
3. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
4. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
5. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
6. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
7. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
8. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
9. Goneril wants King Lear to leave her home and go where?
10. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, how are Goneril and Regan alike and different in their actions, characteristic, motivations, and reaction to their father?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, how does King Lear move toward a greater knowledge of the world and himself through his actions and experiences? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of the play's ending? Is the ending hopeful, dramatic, pessimistic, mysterious or something else? Why might Shakespeare have chosen to end the play in this manner? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)