|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of King Lear's daughters are married?
2. Edmund cuts his arm with what weapon after he and Edgar pretend to fight?
3. Who is Gloucester's illegitimate son?
4. Edmund tells his brother that he fears someone has turned Gloucester against him and then tells his brother to do what?
5. When Lear sees Kent in the stocks, he asks Kent what question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
2. When Lear arrives at Regan's castle, what is one of the actions Regan takes to show that she is selfish?
3. The storm is distracting the King from what?
4. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
5. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
6. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
7. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
8. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
9. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
10. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the role of the Fool emphasize and/or relieve the tragedy of the play? Support your reasoning with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Animals are used in the play to describe various characters. Why does Shakespeare use animals to describe the characters instead of something else? What theme does this connect to? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)