|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester to whom?
2. Edmund cuts his arm with what weapon after he and Edgar pretend to fight?
3. King Lear is trying to find his fool who has been missing for how long?
4. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
5. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
2. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
3. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
4. The storm is distracting the King from what?
5. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
6. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
7. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
8. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
9. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
10. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things that King Lear does is give up his kingdom. The end result is chaos for England. Using examples from the play, discuss whether you think this was a mistake by King Lear and how the play shows whether this was a mistake by King Lear or not.
Essay Topic 2
Would Edgar would make a good King of England? Why or why not? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Blindness is a theme throughout King Lear. Where is this theme in evidence in the play, what different kinds of blindness are present in the play, and how does blindness effect the play? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)