|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Kent warns the gentleman of the coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall, what are the spies of France doing?
2. In Act I, Scene 3, what are the names of the characters who speak?
3. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Lear refuses to leave the storm and go to safety without whom?
5. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
4. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
5. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
6. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
7. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
8. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
9. The storm is distracting the King from what?
10. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
Essay Topic 1
How do the characters of Regan and Goneril change from the moment that they are first introduced until their deaths? Are their deaths just? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What role does nature play in King Lear? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Shakespeare wrote this play centuries ago. Why is this play still relevant today? Are there any themes or messages in the play that are timeless and universal? Please use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)