|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
2. Curan holds what position in society?
3. Who is the protagonist in the play?
4. Who is Edmund's father?
5. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
2. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
3. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
4. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
5. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
6. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
7. When Lear arrives at Regan's castle, what is one of the actions Regan takes to show that she is selfish?
8. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
9. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
10. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text, what are the connections between the main plot and the subplot in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the villains in the play, and why are they villains? What characteristics do they posses and actions do they take to show they are villains? Use the text to provide support for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How do the characters of Regan and Goneril change from the moment that they are first introduced until their deaths? Are their deaths just? Please support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)