|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lear says that wickedness is only punished in the poor and that wickedness isn't punished in the rich because they are protected by what?
(a) Their status.
(b) Their homes.
(c) Their servants.
(d) Their wealth.
2. When Goneril and Edmund travel to Albany's palace, what happens between them?
(a) They fall in love.
(b) They hate each other.
(c) They become friends.
(d) They have an affair.
3. Who confirms the death of Cornwall to Cordelia and the doctor?
4. Who was captured by the English army?
(a) Lear and Cordelia.
(b) Cordelia and the Marshal of France.
(c) Kent and Lear.
(d) Lear and the Marshal of France.
5. People who see Gloucester's crippled condition are turning against whom?
(a) Regan and Albany.
(b) Albany and Edmund.
(c) Regan and Edmund.
(d) Edmund and Goneril.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Goneril that she is becoming a monster and only her shape as a woman protects her?
2. When Oswald leaves Goneril and Albany and returns to Regan at Cornwall, what does he carry from Goneril to Edmund?
3. Who brings Cordelia the news that the British armies are marching towards them?
4. Edmund fakes feeling what about turning in his father?
5. Who tells Gloucester that Edmund betrayed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
2. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
3. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
4. How does Cornwall link the villainy in Edmund's family?
5. Gloucester meets the news of Lear and Cordelia's capture with what?
6. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
7. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
8. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
9. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
10. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)