|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After hearing the news of Cornwall's death, Albany vows to take revenge for what act of Cornwall's?
(a) The escape of the King.
(b) Not keeping Goneril at Cornwall.
(c) The blinding of Gloucester.
(d) Not keeping the women out of the plans.
2. Who is leading a blind Gloucester into the heath?
(a) A mad man.
(b) A poor man.
(c) A sad man.
(d) An old man.
3. Where do Lear, The Fool, Kent, and Gloucester go when they leave the farmhouse?
(a) To see a doctor.
(d) To Cordelia.
4. Lear conducts a mock trial of his daughters; who serves as the judges?
(a) Edgar and The Fool.
(b) Edgar and Kent.
(c) Edgar, Kent, and The Fool.
(d) Kent and The Fool.
5. When Goneril and Edmund travel to Albany's palace, what happens between them?
(a) They hate each other.
(b) They become friends.
(c) They fall in love.
(d) They have an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Edmund fakes feeling what about turning in his father?
2. Kent wonders how such different daughters can come from the same what?
3. Cordelia says that France is not fighting the English with which motivation?
4. Regan thinks that Gloucester should suffer what punishment?
5. Cordelia enters Act 4, Scene 4 with what instruments sounding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
2. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
3. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
4. In terms of the plot, the description of Cordelia's response to Kent's letter paves the way for what?
5. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
6. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
7. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
8. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
9. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
10. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)