|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has to happen in order for Edgar to be reunited with his father?
(a) Edgar must repent of his actions.
(b) Edgar's innocence has to be proven.
(c) Edgar has to not be mad.
(d) Edgar has to find his father.
2. Who tells Kent of Cordelia's response to his letter?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) The Marshal of France.
(c) A soldier.
(d) An officer.
3. Edmund laments promising himself to both sisters and figures out that the only way he is going to enjoy one of them is for what to happen?
(a) One of the sisters to die.
(b) Goneril stays married to Albany.
(c) If the sisters move farther apart.
(d) He says he can enjoy them both if he is crafty.
4. Cornwall says that Gloucester's villainy may be the cause of who's villainy?
5. Goneril thinks that Gloucester should suffer what punishment?
(a) He should be drawn and quartered.
(b) His skin should be removed.
(c) His eyes should be plucked out.
(d) His hands should be cut off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the King of France leave the French encampment and return to France?
2. Where do Lear, The Fool, Kent, and Gloucester go when they leave the farmhouse?
3. Kent asks who not to reveal his identity?
4. Cordelia says that France is not fighting the English with which motivation?
5. Who says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, / Than still contemned and flattered"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Lear's madness?
2. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
3. Goneril and Regan dismiss Albany's desire to not hurt the King and say that what matters?
4. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
5. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
6. How does Cornwall link the villainy in Edmund's family?
7. When Edgar sees that his father is blind, what does he offer to do?
8. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
9. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
10. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)