|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Cordelia the news that the British armies are marching towards them?
(a) A gentleman.
(b) An officer.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A messenger.
2. Who poisoned Regan?
3. Cornwall says that Edmund will find a better what with Cornwall than with Gloucester?
4. Edmund promises not to allow Albany to have mercy on whom after the battle?
(a) Gloucester and Edgar.
(b) Lear and Cordelia.
(c) Cordelia and Goneril.
(d) Lear and Edgar.
5. Lear says that wickedness is only punished in the poor and that wickedness isn't punished in the rich because they are protected by what?
(a) Their servants.
(b) Their status.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kent asks who not to reveal his identity?
2. Who brings Cornwall the news that Gloucester has taken the King to Dover?
3. How does Goneril die?
4. Lear conducts a mock trial of his daughters; who serves as the judges?
5. Who was captured by the English army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cordelia respond to Kent's letter, according to the gentleman?
2. What caused Lear's madness?
3. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
4. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
5. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
6. Albany already sympathizes with the King. What action by Goneril is likely to make him turn completely against her?
7. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
8. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
9. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
10. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)