|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the battlefield, Edgar sets Gloucester by a tree and tells him to pray for what?
(a) That his sons will survive the fight.
(b) That the English win and Lear is restored to his throne.
(c) That the right side will be victorious.
(d) That the French will win and Lear will be victorious.
2. Gloucester tries to commit suicide by doing what?
(a) Hanging himself.
(b) Jumping off a cliff.
(c) Stabbing himself.
(d) Lighting himself on fire.
3. Cordelia prays that Lear will recover from what?
(a) His madness.
(b) His depression.
(c) His suicidal tendancy.
(d) His regrets.
4. When the King recognizes Cordelia, this is seen as a sign of what?
(a) His recovery from sickness.
(b) His recovery from exposure.
(c) His recovery from madness.
(d) His recovery from the flu.
5. The British armies are encamped near what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has to happen in order for Edgar to be reunited with his father?
2. Regan complains about not feeling well while fighting with whom about Edmund?
3. Who makes Lear sleep while they are in the farmhouse?
4. Lear says that wickedness is only punished in the poor and that wickedness isn't punished in the rich because they are protected by what?
5. How does Edmund die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
2. How do Edmund's actions when turning his father in to Cornwall indicate that he is dishonest?
3. When Goneril hears of Cornwall's death, what are her concerns?
4. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
5. How does Cornwall punish Gloucester for his villainy?
6. What plants the seeds of discord between Goneril and Regan?
7. The comments of the servants to Regan after Gloucester is blinded indicate what?
8. What does Edgar pray for while Lear is asleep in the farmhouse?
9. At the end of the play, why is Lear happy?
10. While Lear and his party are in the farmhouse, what action does Lear take that makes him appear to be suffering from madness?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)