|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which man marries Cordelia even though she doesn't have a dowry?
(a) The King of France.
(b) No one.
(c) The Lord of Burgundy.
(d) The Earl of Gloucester.
2. Where does Act 3, Scene 3 take place?
(a) Gloucester's stable.
(b) Gloucester's hall.
(c) Gloucester's castle.
(d) Gloucester's courtyard.
3. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
(a) An advisor.
(b) A nobleman.
(c) A servant.
(d) A fighter.
4. Gloucester tells Edmund there has been a falling out between which two dukes?
(a) Albany and Cornwall.
(b) Albany and Camelot.
(c) Burgundy and Albany.
(d) Cornwall and Burgundy.
5. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
(a) As genuine.
(b) As truth.
(c) As superstitious.
(d) As preposterous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person who stands up for Cordelia when her father disinherits her?
2. Who carries a torch and finds the King and company in the forest?
3. Where does Act I, Scene 3 take place?
4. In Act I, Scene 3, what are the names of the characters who speak?
5. When King Lear announces that he is retiring, what does he want to do with his lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
2. Goneril wants King Lear to leave her home and go where?
3. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
4. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
5. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
6. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
7. Why is King Lear dividing up his kingdom?
8. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
9. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
10. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)