|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) In the court before the Duke of Albany's palace.
(b) In the stable of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(c) In the hall of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(d) In the upstairs of the Duke of Albany's palace.
2. Who says, "I am a man / More sinned against than sinning" ?
(b) The Fool.
3. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
(a) Support Albany.
(b) Invade England.
(c) Support Lear.
(d) Protect France.
4. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
(a) As superstitious.
(b) As genuine.
(c) As preposterous.
(d) As truth.
5. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, how does she command her servants to treat the King and his people?
(d) Like royalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kent tells the gentleman of a coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall and asks the gentleman to take the report to where?
2. After Lear laments his ungrateful daughters, what begins?
3. King Lear has brought how many servants and knights to stay with Goneril?
4. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
5. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lear able to recover from his madness?
2. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
3. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
4. How do Lear's and Gloucester's characters parallel each other?
5. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
6. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
7. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
8. What does Cordelia consider her father to be suffering from?
9. How does Edmund incite his father into a rage against Edgar?
10. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)