|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
(a) A whipping.
(c) A caning.
2. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
(c) No one.
(d) The Fool.
3. Kent tells the gentleman of a coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall and asks the gentleman to take the report to where?
4. When Kent says: "but you have that in your countenance which I would fain call master," what quality is he referring to?
5. Which character does the line "when old fools are babes again" refer to?
(a) King of France.
(b) The Fool.
(c) Duke of Albany.
(d) King Lear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
2. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
3. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
4. When King Lear announces that he is retiring, what does he want to do with his lands?
5. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
2. How is King Lear going to divide up his kingdom?
3. How does Edmund incite his father into a rage against Edgar?
4. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
5. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
6. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
7. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
8. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
9. When Lear arrives at Regan's castle, what is one of the actions Regan takes to show that she is selfish?
10. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)