|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(b) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
(c) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(d) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
2. Goneril and Cornwall order Gloucester to do what if Lear returns to the castle?
(a) Allow him into the stables only.
(b) Strip him of anything valuable.
(c) Make sure he doesn't have any servants with him.
(d) Not allow him in.
3. King Lear has brought how many servants and knights to stay with Goneril?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
4. How many of King Lear's daughters are married?
5. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(c) The Queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
2. Goneril and Regan believe that the King's banishment of the man who defended Cordelia against being disinherited was what?
3. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
4. What does Oswald say after Kent draws his sword?
5. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, she complains that his knights are doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
4. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
5. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
6. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
7. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
8. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
9. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
10. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)