|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
(a) The hall.
(b) The dining room.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) The entrance.
2. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(b) Wise man.
3. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
4. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
(a) Sit by the fire in it.
(b) Take shelter in it.
(c) Clean it.
(d) Go dry out in it.
5. Who delivers King Lear's letter to his other daughter, while the King is at Goneril's?
(a) A knight.
(d) The Fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
2. Before leaving Goneril's house, what does the Fool warn King Lear about?
3. Gloucester, when mentioning the effect of the stars and planets on relationships, says that these effects have caused King Lear to do what to Cordelia?
4. Who says, "I am a man / More sinned against than sinning" ?
5. What event caused the Fool to pine away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Fool compare Lear too?
2. Why does Edmund bemoan the fact that he is illegitimate?
3. Goneril wants King Lear to leave her home and go where?
4. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
5. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
6. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
7. What is the point of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
9. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
10. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)