|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does the line "when old fools are babes again" refer to?
(a) King Lear.
(b) King of France.
(c) Duke of Albany.
(d) The Fool.
2. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
3. Who carries a torch and finds the King and company in the forest?
4. What are the rumors that Curan tells Edmund?
(a) Rumors of war between Lear and Burgundy.
(b) Rumors of war between the Duke of Cornwall and the Duke of Albany.
(c) Rumors of war between Lear and the Duke of Albany.
(d) Rumors of war between Fance and England.
5. What event caused the Fool to pine away?
(a) The King leaving his palace.
(b) The King going to Goneril's home.
(c) Cordelia leaving for France.
(d) Cordelia not professing her love for the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is King Lear going to go when he leaves Goneril's house?
2. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
3. What do Regan and Goneril believe is affecting the King's mind?
4. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. King Lear has brought how many servants and knights to stay with Goneril?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
2. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
3. Why can King Lear's son-in-laws not tell who Lear loves best in the beginning of the play?
4. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
5. What request, by Goneril, drives the King to leave her house?
6. How are Goneril and Regan shown to be disloyal daughters in the play?
7. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
8. When Lear arrives at Regan's castle, what is one of the actions Regan takes to show that she is selfish?
9. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
10. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)