|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does the line "when old fools are babes again" refer to?
(a) Duke of Albany.
(b) King Lear.
(c) King of France.
(d) The Fool.
2. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
(a) A servant.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A madman.
(d) A carpenter.
3. Who protests punishing Kent without the King's consent?
4. Who calls the hovel haunted?
(c) The Fool.
(d) The King.
5. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(b) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
(c) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(d) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
Short Answer Questions
1. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do for clothing?
2. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
3. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
4. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
5. Lear says the anguish of the storm distracts him from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
2. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
3. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
4. How does Edmund incite his father into a rage against Edgar?
5. What is ironic about Goneril's behavior towards her father, while he is at her house?
6. After Regan and Cornwall order Gloucester not to let the King back into the castle, Gloucester tells Edmund that he plans to do what?
7. Instead of explaining why he attacked Oswald, what does Kent say?
8. Lear feels like he has lost his identity at Goneril's house for what reason?
9. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
10. What is the point of Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)