|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
(a) As truth.
(b) As genuine.
(c) As preposterous.
(d) As superstitious.
2. Which man marries Cordelia even though she doesn't have a dowry?
(a) No one.
(b) The King of France.
(c) The Earl of Gloucester.
(d) The Lord of Burgundy.
3. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(d) Wise man.
4. Who says: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child"
(a) King Lear.
(c) The Duke of Burgundy.
(d) The Fool.
5. Who is Gloucester's illegitimate son?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
2. Goneril and Regan believe that the King's banishment of the man who defended Cordelia against being disinherited was what?
3. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester to whom?
4. After Lear laments his ungrateful daughters, what begins?
5. Gloucester tells Edmund there has been a falling out between which two dukes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
2. What information does Kent want the gentleman to take to Dover?
3. What is the point of Act 2, Scene 3?
4. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
5. While King Lear stays with Goneril, what are his knights interfering with?
6. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
7. The storm is distracting the King from what?
8. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
9. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
10. Gloucester asks Edmund to tell anyone who asks for him that he is sick, but what does Edmund plan to do instead?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)