|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Kent warns the gentleman of the coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall, what are the spies of France doing?
(a) Sowing discord.
(c) Gathering information.
(d) Causing trouble.
2. In Act I, Scene 3, what are the names of the characters who speak?
(a) Goneril, Oswald, and King Lear.
(b) King Lear and Oswald.
(c) Goneril and Oswald.
(d) King Lear and Goneril.
3. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Gloucester, Edgar, and Edmund.
(b) Edmund Curan, and Gloucester.
(c) Edgar Curan, and Gloucester.
(d) Edmund, Curan, and Edgar.
4. Lear refuses to leave the storm and go to safety without whom?
(a) The Fool.
5. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oswald say after Kent draws his sword?
2. When Kent says: "but you have that in your countenance which I would fain call master," what quality is he referring to?
3. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
4. Who says: "Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise"
5. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do for clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
2. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
3. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
4. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
5. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
6. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
7. What warning does Regan ask Oswald to give to Goneril?
8. Goneril complains to Oswald about her father's behavior for what reason?
9. The storm is distracting the King from what?
10. Before Lear and his retinue depart for Regan's house, what does the Fool tell Lear?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)