|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Goneril and Regan believe that the King's banishment of the man who defended Cordelia against being disinherited was what?
2. How many of King Lear's daughters are married?
3. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
(a) Her father disowns her.
(b) Her father takes back the jewels.
(c) Her father hits her.
(d) Her father yells at her.
4. Lear states that Edgar is the natural man, after his ravings, because of what?
(a) Edgar is unburdened by heartache.
(b) Edgar is mad.
(c) Edgar owes nobody anything.
(d) Edgar is letting his own mind run free.
5. What do Regan and Goneril believe is affecting the King's mind?
(b) Old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
2. King Lear is trying to find his fool who has been missing for how long?
3. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
4. Who is Edmund's father?
5. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cordelia respond to Kent's letter, according to the gentleman?
2. What caused Lear's madness?
3. What does Edgar mean when he says "Yet better thus, and known to be contemned, Than still contemned and flattered."
4. What is ironic about Gloucester bemoaning that he was betrayed by his son?
5. How does Oswald deny the King's authority in Goneril's house?
6. Although Lear does not want to see Cordelia, what is Cordelia's goal?
7. What does the letter Edmund has, that is supposedly from Edgar, say?
8. What happens to Cordelia, Regan, and Goneril by the end of the play?
9. The storm is distracting the King from what?
10. In terms of the plot, what is Act 5, Scene 2 designed to do?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)