|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edmund have that is supposedly from his brother?
(a) A letter.
(b) A book.
(c) A ring.
(d) A seal.
2. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
(b) The Fool.
(c) No one.
3. Cornwall and Regan administer what punishment to Kent?
(a) They hang him.
(b) They beat him.
(c) They whip him.
(d) They put him in the stocks.
4. Edmund cuts his arm with what weapon after he and Edgar pretend to fight?
(a) A sword.
(b) A knife.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A dagger.
5. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Goneril's castle.
(b) Albany's castle.
(c) Lear's castle.
(d) Gloucester's castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gloucester, when mentioning the effect of the stars and planets on relationships, says that these effects have caused King Lear to do what to Cordelia?
2. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, how does she command her servants to treat the King and his people?
3. How many daughters does King Lear have?
4. Goneril and Cornwall order Gloucester to do what if Lear returns to the castle?
5. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Kent's actions in relation to Oswald similar to Cordelia's actions in relation to Lear?
2. The Fools says who will whip him and for what?
3. When Kent meets with the gentleman on the heath, what does Kent give the gentleman and what is it supposed to do?
4. What are some of the steps Edgar takes to disguise himself?
5. What act of nature is ravaging the earth and Lear?
6. When the Duke of Cornwall and Regan commiserate with Gloucester about his traitorous son, what do they suggest was the influence on Edgar?
7. Why are Goneril and Regan awarded large parts of the kingdom?
8. What actions of the King does Gloucester fret about in Act I, Scene II?
9. The Fool's ambiguous statements while he and Lear are wandering in the storm imply that the Fool thinks Lear is what?
10. When Edgar leaves Edmund at the end of Act I, Scene II, why does Edmund laugh?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)