|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
(b) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(c) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
(d) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
2. Who is Edmund's father?
(d) King Lear.
3. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
4. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
(a) A servant.
(b) A nobleman.
(c) An advisor.
(d) A fighter.
5. How many daughters does King Lear have?
6. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
(a) His summer palace.
(b) Her sister's house.
(c) Her brother's house.
(d) His palace.
7. What does Edmund have that is supposedly from his brother?
(a) A seal.
(b) A letter.
(c) A ring.
(d) A book.
8. What did Oswald's letter from Goneril cause Regan and Cornwall to do?
(a) Leave for the King's castle.
(b) Stay and clean.
(c) Immediately depart.
(d) Go hunting for food.
9. Edmund tells his brother that he fears someone has turned Gloucester against him and then tells his brother to do what?
(a) Issue a challenge.
(b) Arm himself.
(c) Find out who the informant is.
(d) Leave quickly.
10. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
(a) Regan doesn't say anything.
(b) Regan says that she will be different.
(c) Regan defends Goneril.
(d) Regan agrees with Lear.
11. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
(b) A whipping.
(c) A caning.
(d) Dismissal as Fool.
12. Goneril and Cornwall order Gloucester to do what if Lear returns to the castle?
(a) Strip him of anything valuable.
(b) Not allow him in.
(c) Make sure he doesn't have any servants with him.
(d) Allow him into the stables only.
13. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(b) Wise man.
14. What is the name Edgar uses in place of his own?
(a) Poor Kent.
(b) Poor Thomas.
(c) Poor Tom.
(d) Poor Man.
15. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester to whom?
(a) The knights.
(b) The Duke.
(c) The King.
(d) The Earl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
2. Lear refuses to leave the storm and go to safety without whom?
3. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
4. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
5. Kent repeatedly calls Oswald by what name?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)