|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Goneril and Regan believe that the King's banishment of the man who defended Cordelia against being disinherited was what?
2. When Kent says: "but you have that in your countenance which I would fain call master," what quality is he referring to?
3. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(c) The Queen.
4. Gloucester orders Edgar captured and killed because Gloucester thinks Edgar did what to Edmund?
(a) Gloucester thinks Edgar killed Edmund.
(b) Gloucester thinks Edgar hurt Edmund.
(c) Gloucester thinks Edgar betrayed Edmund.
(d) Gloucester thinks Edgar stabbed Edmund.
5. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
(a) A whipping.
(b) A caning.
6. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do to his hair?
(a) He shaves it all off.
(b) He cuts it.
(c) He rubs mud in it.
(d) He knots it.
7. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(c) Wise man.
8. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
(a) England will once again be Lear's.
(b) England will be divided.
(c) England is in confusion.
(d) England is going to be conquered by France.
9. Which character does the line "when old fools are babes again" refer to?
(a) The Fool.
(b) King Lear.
(c) King of France.
(d) Duke of Albany.
10. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
(a) As truth.
(b) As preposterous.
(c) As superstitious.
(d) As genuine.
11. When Edmund tells his brother that his father is horribly angry with him, what does Edmund advise his brother to do?
(a) Leave England until Gloucester cools off.
(b) Stay away from Gloucester until he cools off.
(c) Go and talk to Gloucester to cool him off.
(d) Write a letter to Gloucester to explain things.
12. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
(a) The Fool.
(b) No one.
13. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
14. Kent tells the gentleman of a coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall and asks the gentleman to take the report to where?
15. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Lear's castle.
(b) Albany's castle.
(c) Gloucester's castle.
(d) Goneril's castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
2. Oswald is what relation to Goneril?
3. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
4. Who delivers King Lear's letter to his other daughter, while the King is at Goneril's?
5. Who is Goneril's husband?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)