|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Regan and Goneril believe is affecting the King's mind?
(d) Old age.
2. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester in order to do what?
(a) Be selfish.
(b) Gain more for himself.
(c) Get married to Cordelia.
(d) Get Gloucester's land.
3. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
(a) Her brother's house.
(b) His summer palace.
(c) His palace.
(d) Her sister's house.
4. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
(a) Her father disowns her.
(b) Her father takes back the jewels.
(c) Her father hits her.
(d) Her father yells at her.
5. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
(b) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
(c) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(d) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
6. After Lear laments his ungrateful daughters, what begins?
(b) A hurricane.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A storm.
7. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
8. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) A servant.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A madman.
9. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, how does she command her servants to treat the King and his people?
(c) Like royalty.
10. Gloucester, when mentioning the effect of the stars and planets on relationships, says that these effects have caused King Lear to do what to Cordelia?
(a) Send her away.
(b) Love her.
(c) Turn against her.
(d) Marry her to someone she doesn't like.
11. What does Edmund have that is supposedly from his brother?
(a) A ring.
(b) A letter.
(c) A book.
(d) A seal.
12. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(b) The Queen.
13. When Edmund tells his brother that his father is horribly angry with him, what does Edmund advise his brother to do?
(a) Write a letter to Gloucester to explain things.
(b) Stay away from Gloucester until he cools off.
(c) Leave England until Gloucester cools off.
(d) Go and talk to Gloucester to cool him off.
14. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, she complains that his knights are doing what?
(a) Taking up too much space.
(b) Causing problems with the children.
(c) Interfering with her household.
(d) Eating too much food.
15. Edgar hides in what location to escape his pursuers?
(a) In tree branches.
(b) A hollow of a tree.
(c) Under a bush.
(d) An abandoned shack.
Short Answer Questions
1. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do for clothing?
2. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
3. Who is Edmund's father?
4. What does Kent give to the gentleman to show Cordelia?
5. Who delivers King Lear's letter to his other daughter, while the King is at Goneril's?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)