|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
(a) England is in confusion.
(b) England is going to be conquered by France.
(c) England will be divided.
(d) England will once again be Lear's.
2. Cornwall and Regan administer what punishment to Kent?
(a) They beat him.
(b) They put him in the stocks.
(c) They whip him.
(d) They hang him.
3. How much love does Cordelia say she will give her husband?
(a) Half her love.
(b) Some of her love.
(c) All her love.
(d) None of her love.
4. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The entrance.
(c) The ballroom.
(d) The hall.
5. Who is the protagonist in the play?
(b) King Lear.
(d) Duke of Cornwall.
6. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(a) The Queen.
7. The paper Edmund has, which he is going to show to Gloucester as proof of his brother's treachery, says that the older generation should do what with their riches?
(a) Give them to the younger men.
(b) Use them to benefit their children.
(c) Give them to the poor.
(d) Hold onto them.
8. What is the name Edgar uses in place of his own?
(a) Poor Kent.
(b) Poor Tom.
(c) Poor Thomas.
(d) Poor Man.
9. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
(a) Support Lear.
(b) Support Albany.
(c) Invade England.
(d) Protect France.
10. Who says: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child"
(b) King Lear.
(c) The Duke of Burgundy.
(d) The Fool.
11. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
12. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
(a) Day and night and every hour.
(b) At least once an hour.
(c) During the day with the demands of his followers.
(d) At mealtimes with his demands.
13. Kent tells the gentleman of a coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall and asks the gentleman to take the report to where?
14. What are the rumors that Curan tells Edmund?
(a) Rumors of war between Lear and Burgundy.
(b) Rumors of war between the Duke of Cornwall and the Duke of Albany.
(c) Rumors of war between Lear and the Duke of Albany.
(d) Rumors of war between Fance and England.
15. By what title does Oswald refer to Goneril as in Act I, Scene 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
2. After Lear laments his ungrateful daughters, what begins?
3. Lear says that the weather is not unkind in its actions of a storm because why?
4. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
5. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)