|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Act I, Scene 3 take place?
(a) Goneril's summer home.
(b) The Duke of Burgundy's palace.
(c) The Duke of Albany's palace.
(d) The King's palace.
2. Who is Gloucester's illegitimate son?
3. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(b) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
(c) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(d) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
4. What does Kent give to the gentleman to show Cordelia?
(a) His seal.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A letter.
5. How much love does Cordelia say she will give her husband?
(a) All her love.
(b) None of her love.
(c) Some of her love.
(d) Half her love.
6. What is the name of the person who stands up for Cordelia when her father disinherits her?
7. Who says, "Here's a night pities neither wise man nor fool"?
(a) The King.
(c) The Fool.
8. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
9. Gloucester, when mentioning the effect of the stars and planets on relationships, says that these effects have caused King Lear to do what to Cordelia?
(a) Love her.
(b) Marry her to someone she doesn't like.
(c) Turn against her.
(d) Send her away.
10. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Edmund Curan, and Gloucester.
(b) Edmund, Curan, and Edgar.
(c) Edgar Curan, and Gloucester.
(d) Gloucester, Edgar, and Edmund.
11. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
(a) Support Lear.
(b) Support Albany.
(c) Protect France.
(d) Invade England.
12. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
(a) Regan agrees with Lear.
(b) Regan doesn't say anything.
(c) Regan says that she will be different.
(d) Regan defends Goneril.
13. Instead of referring to the King by his title, what does Oswald call the king?
(a) My lady's responsibility.
(b) My lady's relation.
(c) My lady's burden.
(d) My lady's father.
14. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
(a) Her father takes back the jewels.
(b) Her father hits her.
(c) Her father disowns her.
(d) Her father yells at her.
15. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
(a) Dismissal as Fool.
(b) A caning.
(c) A whipping.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kent says: "but you have that in your countenance which I would fain call master," what quality is he referring to?
2. Kent tells the gentleman of a coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall and asks the gentleman to take the report to where?
3. Cornwall and Regan administer what punishment to Kent?
4. What did Goneril's gentleman do that causes King Lear to strike him?
5. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar cover his face with?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)