|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
(a) Regan doesn't say anything.
(b) Regan says that she will be different.
(c) Regan defends Goneril.
(d) Regan agrees with Lear.
2. What is the name Edgar uses in place of his own?
(a) Poor Kent.
(b) Poor Thomas.
(c) Poor Man.
(d) Poor Tom.
3. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
(c) A whipping.
(d) A caning.
4. Who are the three speakers in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Gloucester, Edgar, and Edmund.
(b) Edmund Curan, and Gloucester.
(c) Edgar Curan, and Gloucester.
(d) Edmund, Curan, and Edgar.
5. Oswald is what relation to Goneril?
(a) Her steward.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her son.
6. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester to whom?
(a) The Duke.
(b) The knights.
(c) The King.
(d) The Earl.
7. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
(b) The Fool.
(c) No one.
8. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar cover his face with?
9. Who is the protagonist in the play?
(b) King Lear.
(d) Duke of Cornwall.
10. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
(a) A servant.
(b) A fighter.
(c) An advisor.
(d) A nobleman.
11. Who says: "Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise"
(a) King Lear.
(b) The Fool.
12. What is the name of Edmund's legitimate brother?
13. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(b) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(c) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
(d) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
14. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Goneril's castle.
(b) Lear's castle.
(c) Albany's castle.
(d) Gloucester's castle.
15. King Lear is trying to find his fool who has been missing for how long?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lear states that Edgar is the natural man, after his ravings, because of what?
2. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
3. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
4. How many suitors does Cordelia have when the King tells them that she will have no dowry?
5. Who protests punishing Kent without the King's consent?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)