|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lear states that Edgar is the natural man, after his ravings, because of what?
(a) Edgar is mad.
(b) Edgar owes nobody anything.
(c) Edgar is unburdened by heartache.
(d) Edgar is letting his own mind run free.
2. If Edmund cannot get his brother disinherited, how much of his father's inheritance will Edmund inherit?
3. Who delivers King Lear's letter to his other daughter, while the King is at Goneril's?
(b) The Fool.
(d) A knight.
4. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(b) The Queen.
5. Lear refuses to leave the storm and go to safety without whom?
(c) The Fool.
6. Who does Kent ask to "turn thy wheel"?
(a) The sun.
7. King Lear is trying to find his fool who has been missing for how long?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
8. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, she complains that his knights are doing what?
(a) Taking up too much space.
(b) Eating too much food.
(c) Causing problems with the children.
(d) Interfering with her household.
9. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
(a) A herald's announcement.
10. When Edmund tells his brother that his father is horribly angry with him, what does Edmund advise his brother to do?
(a) Leave England until Gloucester cools off.
(b) Go and talk to Gloucester to cool him off.
(c) Write a letter to Gloucester to explain things.
(d) Stay away from Gloucester until he cools off.
11. Who is the protagonist in the play?
(a) King Lear.
(c) Duke of Cornwall.
12. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(d) Wise man.
13. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
(a) A caning.
(b) Dismissal as Fool.
(c) A whipping.
14. In Act I, Scene 3, what are the names of the characters who speak?
(a) King Lear and Goneril.
(b) Goneril and Oswald.
(c) Goneril, Oswald, and King Lear.
(d) King Lear and Oswald.
15. Where is King Lear going to go when he leaves Goneril's house?
(a) His palace.
(b) Regan's house.
(c) His summer home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to escape detection, Edgar decides to disguise himself as what?
2. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
3. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
4. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
5. Lear says the anguish of the storm distracts him from what?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)