|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Edmund's legitimate brother?
2. What is the name of the person who stands up for Cordelia when her father disinherits her?
3. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
4. Curan holds what position in society?
5. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
(b) A caning.
(d) A whipping.
6. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
(a) The dining room.
(b) The hall.
(c) The entrance.
(d) The ballroom.
7. Lear says that the weather is not unkind in its actions of a storm because why?
(a) It has no reason to be obligated to him.
(b) It doesn't need any man to be a storm.
(c) It has reason to be stormy.
(d) It simply acts as nature will.
8. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
(a) Regan defends Goneril.
(b) Regan agrees with Lear.
(c) Regan says that she will be different.
(d) Regan doesn't say anything.
9. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
(a) During the day with the demands of his followers.
(b) Day and night and every hour.
(c) At mealtimes with his demands.
(d) At least once an hour.
10. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
(a) A caning.
(b) Dismissal as Fool.
(c) A whipping.
11. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(b) The Queen.
12. While Kent warns the gentleman of the coming conflict between Albany and Cornwall, what are the spies of France doing?
(a) Sowing discord.
(b) Causing trouble.
(d) Gathering information.
13. How many suitors does Cordelia have when the King tells them that she will have no dowry?
14. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
(a) England will once again be Lear's.
(b) England will be divided.
(c) England is in confusion.
(d) England is going to be conquered by France.
15. While Lear is in the storm, who is his only companion?
(a) The Fool.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Here's a night pities neither wise man nor fool"?
2. Who does Lear say should feel obligation to him?
3. Gloucester orders Edgar captured and killed because Gloucester thinks Edgar did what to Edmund?
4. Who says, "I am a man / More sinned against than sinning" ?
5. How many daughters does King Lear have?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)