|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I am a man / More sinned against than sinning" ?
(d) The Fool.
2. Lear refuses to leave the storm and go to safety without whom?
(b) The Fool.
3. Who says: "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is / To have a thankless child"
(a) The Fool.
(c) The Duke of Burgundy.
(d) King Lear.
4. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Lear's castle.
(b) Goneril's castle.
(c) Albany's castle.
(d) Gloucester's castle.
5. Goneril's goal is to have King Lear go and stay with whom, rather than stay at her house?
(a) His palace.
(b) His summer palace.
(c) Her brother's house.
(d) Her sister's house.
6. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
(a) Sit by the fire in it.
(b) Clean it.
(c) Take shelter in it.
(d) Go dry out in it.
7. Who does Kent ask to "turn thy wheel"?
(b) The sun.
8. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
(a) As truth.
(b) As genuine.
(c) As superstitious.
(d) As preposterous.
9. The paper Edmund has, which he is going to show to Gloucester as proof of his brother's treachery, says that the older generation should do what with their riches?
(a) Hold onto them.
(b) Give them to the younger men.
(c) Give them to the poor.
(d) Use them to benefit their children.
10. Who is Edmund's father?
(b) King Lear.
11. Edgar hides in what location to escape his pursuers?
(a) An abandoned shack.
(b) A hollow of a tree.
(c) Under a bush.
(d) In tree branches.
12. Who calls the hovel haunted?
(c) The Fool.
(d) The King.
13. Who does Lear say should feel obligation to him?
(a) His servants.
(b) His kingdom.
(c) His son-in-laws.
(d) His daughters.
14. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
15. Gloucester tells Edmund to say what if someone asks about Gloucester?
(a) That Gloucester is sick.
(b) That Gloucester is out of town.
(c) That Gloucester is away.
(d) That Gloucester is not home.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what title does Oswald refer to Goneril as in Act I, Scene 3?
2. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
3. What punishment will King Lear's daughters give the Fool for speaking the truth?
4. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
5. What event caused the Fool to pine away?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)