|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries a torch and finds the King and company in the forest?
2. What is the name of Edmund's legitimate brother?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) In the hall of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(b) In the court before the Duke of Albany's palace.
(c) In the upstairs of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(d) In the stable of the Duke of Albany's palace.
4. Which man marries Cordelia even though she doesn't have a dowry?
(a) The Earl of Gloucester.
(b) The King of France.
(c) The Lord of Burgundy.
(d) No one.
5. What is Edmund going to do in order to assure Gloucester that his brother's intent isn't to hurt Gloucester?
(a) Talk with Edgar so that Gloucester can hear them.
(b) Write a letter asking Edgar what his intent is.
(c) Talk with Edgar and report to Gloucester.
(d) Send someone to spy on Edgar.
6. To aide in his disguise, what does Edgar do to his hair?
(a) He cuts it.
(b) He rubs mud in it.
(c) He shaves it all off.
(d) He knots it.
7. Who is Gloucester's illegitimate son?
8. Kent points out that there is a hovel nearby and asks the King to do what?
(a) Go dry out in it.
(b) Sit by the fire in it.
(c) Clean it.
(d) Take shelter in it.
9. The gentleman on the hearth tells Kent that Lear is doing what in the storm?
10. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
(a) During the day with the demands of his followers.
(b) Day and night and every hour.
(c) At least once an hour.
(d) At mealtimes with his demands.
11. What did Oswald's letter from Goneril cause Regan and Cornwall to do?
(a) Immediately depart.
(b) Stay and clean.
(c) Leave for the King's castle.
(d) Go hunting for food.
12. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
(d) A herald's announcement.
13. Gloucester blames the effects of what for affecting relationships?
(a) The stars.
(b) The eclipses.
(c) The planets.
(d) The moon.
14. Instead of calling Edgar mad, Lear gives him what title?
(c) Wise man.
15. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
(a) England is in confusion.
(b) England will be divided.
(c) England is going to be conquered by France.
(d) England will once again be Lear's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before leaving Goneril's house, what does the Fool warn King Lear about?
2. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester in order to do what?
3. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
4. What punishment will King Lear give to the Fool for lying?
5. Who says: "Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst been wise"
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)