|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) In the court before the Duke of Albany's palace.
(b) In the hall of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(c) In the stable of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(d) In the upstairs of the Duke of Albany's palace.
2. Who does Kent ask to "turn thy wheel"?
(a) The sun.
3. Who does Lear say should feel obligation to him?
(a) His daughters.
(b) His kingdom.
(c) His son-in-laws.
(d) His servants.
4. To whom is Gloucester loyal?
(a) Duke of Albany.
(b) The King.
(d) Duke of Cornwall.
5. Where does Act I, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Duke of Burgundy's palace.
(b) Goneril's summer home.
(c) The King's palace.
(d) The Duke of Albany's palace.
6. In the first scene, an attendant is carrying a small crown meant for whom?
(a) The Queen.
7. Who is Edmund's father?
(a) King Lear.
8. The Fool calls King Lear a fool for doing what?
(a) Leaving his palace.
(b) Giving away his lands.
(c) Hitting Oswald.
(d) Searching for the Fool.
9. When Kent says: "but you have that in your countenance which I would fain call master," what quality is he referring to?
10. Kent comes to King Lear in disguise and offers his services in what position?
(a) A fighter.
(b) A nobleman.
(c) An advisor.
(d) A servant.
11. Why does Edmund want his legitimate brother disinherited?
(a) So that Edmund can inherit everything.
(b) So that Edmund can live as a nobleman.
(c) So that Edmund can have all their father's attention.
(d) So that Edmund can sell off all the land.
12. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
(a) Her father takes back the jewels.
(b) Her father disowns her.
(c) Her father hits her.
(d) Her father yells at her.
13. Who calls the hovel haunted?
(c) The Fool.
(d) The King.
14. Edmund is going to betray Gloucester in order to do what?
(a) Be selfish.
(b) Get married to Cordelia.
(c) Get Gloucester's land.
(d) Gain more for himself.
15. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the first scene of Act 3, what are the armies of France ready to do?
2. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
3. Edgar hides in what location to escape his pursuers?
4. Oswald and Kent meet in front of what structure?
5. How does Edmund characterize the belief that people having in the stars and planets ruling their lives?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)