|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls the hovel haunted?
(c) The Fool.
(d) The King.
2. What sound precedes the King's entrance into a scene?
(c) A herald's announcement.
3. What did Goneril's gentleman do that causes King Lear to strike him?
(a) Refusing one of the knight's requests.
(b) Chiding the Fool.
(c) Entering a building before the King.
(d) Chiding the King.
4. Where does Act 1, Scene 5 take place?
(a) In the upstairs of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(b) In the hall of the Duke of Albany's palace.
(c) In the court before the Duke of Albany's palace.
(d) In the stable of the Duke of Albany's palace.
5. Regan and Goneril tell Lear that he is what type of a man?
6. According to Goneril, while King Lear is staying with her, how often does King Lear wrong her?
(a) Day and night and every hour.
(b) At mealtimes with his demands.
(c) At least once an hour.
(d) During the day with the demands of his followers.
7. While they are walking to the hovel, the Fool utters a prophecy that says what?
(a) England is going to be conquered by France.
(b) England is in confusion.
(c) England will be divided.
(d) England will once again be Lear's.
8. What does Oswald say after Kent draws his sword?
(a) Help, ho! Leave me be!
(b) Help, ho! Sword is drawn!
(c) Help, ho! Murderer, Murderer!
(d) Help, ho! My life be spared!
9. When Cordelia refuses to profess her undying love for her father (the King), what does her father do?
(a) Her father takes back the jewels.
(b) Her father disowns her.
(c) Her father hits her.
(d) Her father yells at her.
10. Oswald and Kent meet in front of what structure?
(a) Albany's stable.
(b) Gloucester's stable.
(c) Albany's castle.
(d) Gloucester's castle.
11. When Lear sees Kent in the stocks, he asks Kent what question?
(a) He asks if Kent is amusing himself.
(b) He asks if Kent hurt anyone.
(c) He asks if Kent likes being in the stocks.
(d) He asks if Kent has slept.
12. While King Lear is staying with Goneril, how does she command her servants to treat the King and his people?
(a) Like royalty.
13. What is Edmund going to do in order to assure Gloucester that his brother's intent isn't to hurt Gloucester?
(a) Talk with Edgar and report to Gloucester.
(b) Write a letter asking Edgar what his intent is.
(c) Talk with Edgar so that Gloucester can hear them.
(d) Send someone to spy on Edgar.
14. The Fool calls King Lear a fool for doing what?
(a) Giving away his lands.
(b) Hitting Oswald.
(c) Leaving his palace.
(d) Searching for the Fool.
15. When King Lear gets ready to depart Goneril's house, what is his method of travel?
(a) By foot.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By cart.
(d) On horseback.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Lear has brought how many servants and knights to stay with Goneril?
2. What room in the house does Act I, Scene 4 take place?
3. When Lear bemoans his treatment at Goneril's house, what does Regan say?
4. How many suitors does Cordelia have when the King tells them that she will have no dowry?
5. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)