Act 1, Scene 1
• Gloucester acknowledges Edmund as his illegitimate son.
• King Lear announces he wants to retire and divide up his lands between his daughters.
• Lear requires each of his daughters to profess her love for him. On the basis of that declaration, he will give each daughter lands.
• Goneril and Regan profess their unending love for their father.
• Cordelia says she can only give half her love to her father, because half will be given to her future husband.
• Cordelia is disowned by Lear.
• Goneril and Regan split Lear's lands in half.
• Kent protests Cordelia's disowning and because of his protest, is banished from the kingdom by Lear.
• Cordelia's two suitors--the Lord of Burgundy and the King of France--are asked, by Lear, who will have her as their wife if she has no dowry.
• The Lord of Burgundy wants nothing to do with Cordelia now that she is...
This section contains 2,233 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)