* Gloucester acknowledges Edmund as his illegitimate son.
* King Lear announces he wants to retire and divide up his lands between his daughters.
* Lear requires each of his daughters to profess her love for him. On the basis of that declaration, he will give each daughter lands.
* Goneril and Regan profess their unending love for their father.
* Cordelia says she can only give half her love to her father, because half will be given to her future husband.
* Cordelia is disowned by Lear.
* Goneril and Regan split Lear's lands in half.
* Kent protests Cordelia's disowning and because of his protest, is banished from the kingdom by Lear.
* Cordelia's two suitors--the Lord of Burgundy and the King of France--are asked, by Lear, who will have her as their wife if she has no dowry.
* The Lord of Burgundy wants nothing to do with Cordelia now that she is...
This section contains 1,968 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)