|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Batman give for his alliance and double-crossing of Lex Luthor?
2. What does Superman tie to a flagpole outside of the U.N.?
3. According to the Deadman, who was the Spectre in his former life?
4. With what news does Robin interrupt the interrogation of Norman McKay?
5. Why does Captain Marvel keep Superman from stopping the falling bomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reasons does Superman tell Billy Batson that only he is qualified to make the choice to stop the bombs?
2. Before Wonder Woman leaves for the Gulag, what is her final disagreement with Superman?
3. How does Superman finally subdue Captain Marvel?
4. Why is Captain Marvel attacking Superman?
5. Describe the Gulag.
6. For what does Shazam plead and what is the outcome of his meeting?
7. Why does the Spectre announce it is time to cast judgment to Norman McKay during the battle?
8. What does Norman McKay realize about Superman's attack on the U.N.?
9. Why is the Flash able to see Norman McKay?
10. What is significant about Wonder Woman giving Superman his glasses and calling him "Clark?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Spectre state that Wonder Woman is the figure that needs to be watched the closest? For what reasons has Diana been stripped of her heritage at the beginning of the book? To what does she attribute this and why? What are Superman's views on Wonder Woman's more aggressive nature? For what reasons does Diana become progressively more war-like as the novel goes on? Why does Batman accuse her of over-compensating? How do her actions affect the tide of the battle at the Gulag? In what ways, at the end of the book, has she come to terms with her contradictory roles as peace-keeper and warrior?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the scene with Orion (restored for the trade paperback) a necessary one in terms of themes and lessons in "Kingdom Come?" What lessons and wisdom does he try to impart to Superman? How does Superman react to what he sees as Orion's unnecessarily war-like planet? What is Orion's musings on the nature of changing a person's system of living? Of what does Orion attempt to warn Superman? How do Orion's pronouncements on the dangers of their sort of power come true at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the art in "Kingdom Come" contribute to the story? How did the artist effectively use perspective and focus to keep the reader's eye trained on the main storyline while not neglecting the other characters? What are some of the visual gags added throughout the book? How does this lighten the frequently dark and heavy mood of "Kingdom Come?" How does Ross's realistic style help the reader to better relate to the characters in this book? What is significant about his father posing for the character of Norman McKay?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)