|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna teach the King's children?
2. What do the children think when they hear men can walk on frozen rivers?
3. The King tells Anna to talk to whom when he leaves her after she demands a separate house?
4. What word(s) does Anna use that enthralls the King when they first meet?
5. Who finds letters sent to Britain about the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes an uproar in Anna's classroom?
2. How have Tuptim and Lun Tha been able to meet in secret?
3. What does Sir Ramsay say after the feast and play?
4. What does Tuptim do when she enters the stage in the fourth scene?
5. What does Anna do after Tuptim is dragged out of the room?
6. What warnings does the Captain give Anna before she gets to Siam?
7. Buddha given credit for what event(s) in Tuptim's play?
8. Whom does the King blame for the change in Chulalongkorn, and how does the person feel about this?
9. What does Anna say to Lady Thiang about love?
10. Anna gets upset about what when the Kralahome speaks to her on the ship, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Despair is a theme that is used in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The King endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)