|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King complains to whom in the third scene?
2. What does Anna tell the King she does NOT like about her palace apartment?
3. What is the name of the English Queen?
4. What is the title of the King's right-hand man in Siam?
5. What gift does the King want to send to help President Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lady Thiang feel when Anna agrees to speak with the King about Britain?
2. What does Anna do when she sees that the King has died?
3. What does Lady Thiang say and realize after Anna agrees to talk to the King about Britain?
4. What does the King do to get Anna to agree to stay and teach his children?
5. What is the first song the King sings as a solo, and what is it about?
6. What are the children doing in the last scene?
7. What is the central theme of all of Anna's first lessons?
8. What is the subject of the song that Anna sings after her fight in the classroom with the King?
9. Why does the King want Anna to teach his children?
10. Anna gets upset about what when the Kralahome speaks to her on the ship, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security are two themes present in this book. Where do these themes appear, and which characters are most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a theme that is very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)