|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Anna's son?
2. Who is Lady Thiang?
3. Anna says she had known nothing about what before coming to teach the children in Siam?
4. What do the children think when they hear men can walk on frozen rivers?
5. The song Anna sings alone in her room is about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the King want Anna to teach his children?
2. What does the King accuse Anna of being when she defends Tuptim?
3. What does Lady Thiang say to comfort the Crown Prince at the news of his dying father?
4. What does the King sense in Chulalongkorn in the last scene, and what does he ask of him?
5. What do the letters to Britain say about the King, and how does Anna hear about them?
6. What does Anna say she does whenever she is afraid?
7. What kind of makeup is given to the women at the palace before the feast, and why?
8. What causes an uproar in Anna's classroom?
9. The Crown Prince tells his father he is worried about what?
10. Buddha given credit for what event(s) in Tuptim's play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity is one of the main themes in this book. Where does this theme appear, and how does its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might the authors have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)