|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cave paintings detail the "____ world" of masculinity.
2. What is the purpose of archetypes?
3. What is the key element of the ritual process Moore and Gillette believe that modern day young men lack?
4. The Hero is the most _____ state of Boy psychology.
5. What do the authors believe the ugly and destructive patterns of an adult man are a product of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Lover in such great need of the other archetypes?
2. What is Admiring Men?
3. Why does the High Chair Tyrant act as he does? As a child? As an adult?
4. How do the Denying Innocent One and the Manipulator compare?
5. What would be the outcome of an interaction between the Know-It-All Trickster and the Dummy?
6. What have the authors interpreted was the purpose of Cro-Magnon cave paintings?
7. Why do these archetypes need to coexist in a boy for him to develop into a man?
8. What human needs do the Magician and Lover fulfill?
9. According to the authors, what are the most important challenges for a man to face?
10. Why do the authors feel modern rites of passage don't reflect true men or society?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the complex nature of the Warrior and why and how, despite his aggressive nature, he is considered a functioning archetype.
Essay Topic 2
The authors discuss ancient rituals and initiations for younger men to grow into maturity but claim that no such thing exists today. Discuss whether you agree with the authors' beliefs about the current state of masculinity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how these archetypes relate to women.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)