|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The authors detail military enlistment, gangs, and crime as modern day ______.
2. Classically, initiations are a ______ ritual.
3. The authors note that the modern-day prevalence of gangs and fracturing of families has had what effect on youth?
4. "Crisis" stresses that a young man's initiation is ________.
5. What do the authors believe the ugly and destructive patterns of an adult man are a product of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two lower points of the triangle, the shadow-sides, build the pinnacle?
2. Who do the authors think will benefit from the techniques described in the conclusion?
3. Why do the authors believe a ritual initiation is vital to a fully developed male?
4. Is the Lover selfish or selfless?
5. Why does the Weakling respond with rage to some situations?
6. Can the shadow sides of a male personality integrate into a fully mature male? What is their affect on an adult?
7. What would be the outcome of an interaction between the Know-It-All Trickster and the Dummy?
8. Why does the Grandstander Bully act as he does?
9. Why do the authors believe a ritual elder is necessary to a young man's successful ascension into manhood?
10. Do the authors think these archetypes have ever dominated human life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what you believe has caused this shift from a well-established initiation process to a complete lack of positive structure today.
Essay Topic 2
Do young men truly want to move forward into adulthood? Based on the evidence and patterns described about masculinity in the book, discuss this.
Essay Topic 3
What are the conditions that would cause the Oedipal Child to transform into his shadow sides, the Mama's Boy or the Dreamer? How and why does this happen?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)