|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In conclusion of their discussions of initiation, the authors stress that the most important element of a young man's initiation is _____.
(a) The sacred space.
(b) The ritual elder.
(c) The cave paintings.
(d) The absence of women.
2. What do the authors believe an initiation contributes to a young man's maturity?
(a) It helps him be a better public speaker.
(b) It helps him become a fully realized adult male.
(c) He gains social skills.
(d) It helps him learn to talk to women.
3. The woman's male sub-personality is called the ______.
4. In the negative conditions youth experience today, what pattern do the authors see developing in young people?
(a) Trying to change the world.
(b) Identifying more with women.
(c) Developing a Peter Pan complex.
(d) Developing their own rites of passage without guidance.
5. What do the authors hope is the correction of this male crisis?
(a) An internal blueprint in men.
(b) Strong public figures.
(c) Harsher laws.
(d) Women's empowerment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the key element of the ritual process Moore and Gillette believe that modern day young men lack?
2. What role does the Know-It-All Trickster play in the Precocious Child?
3. Classically, initiations are a ______ ritual.
4. A point of "Boy Psychology and Man Psychology" is that a mature male pattern is a _____ to a young man's development.
5. Whom is the Oedipal Child tied to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What professions is the Tyrant usually drawn to?
2. Why is the Lover considered primal?
3. What do the authors believe is the nature of a young man's ascension without a ritual elder?
4. Who do the authors think will benefit from the techniques described in the conclusion?
5. Why is the Hero the most advanced stage of a boy's psychology?
6. According to the authors, what is the fundamental, inherent desire in every young man?
7. Can the shadow sides of a male personality integrate into a fully mature male? What is their affect on an adult?
8. Why is the Manipulator distant from his own life?
9. How does a young man become a fully-fledged adult male?
10. Why do these archetypes need to coexist in a boy for him to develop into a man?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)