|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy tell Marlowe?
(a) He has to amputate above the elbow that day or it will be too late.
(b) He can only wait a few more days before amutating.
(c) The arm looks as though it is getting better on its own.
(d) He can not longer operate as the arm is too far gone.
2. What is the rumor about the airfield?
(a) That three coconut trees will be felled.
(b) It is going to be paved.
(c) It flooded in the last rain and is now full of pits and holes.
(d) That it is being abandoned so the Americans have no good place to land.
3. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) It is a family heirloom.
(b) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(c) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(d) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
4. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
(a) Lives off the land.
(b) Assimilates Javanese culture.
(c) Lies down and has delusions because of malaria.
(d) Builds a good shelter.
5. What is borehole detail?
(a) Digging new boreholes.
(b) Checking to see that the boreholes are covered appropriately.
(c) Cleaning out old boreholds and taking the contents to the jungle.
(d) Scooping cockroaches out of the latrines.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Samson envious concerning Marlowe?
2. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
3. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
4. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
5. About what does Torusumi talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
2. Describe Marlowe's visit with McCoy in the infirmary.
3. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
4. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
5. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
6. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
7. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
8. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
9. How does Marlowe manage to obtain a radio and what is the King's reaction?
10. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)