|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is borehole detail?
(a) Cleaning out old boreholds and taking the contents to the jungle.
(b) Scooping cockroaches out of the latrines.
(c) Checking to see that the boreholes are covered appropriately.
(d) Digging new boreholes.
2. What does Yoshima revoke when he cannot find the radio?
(a) The privilege of walking freely through camp.
(b) The privilege of playing music with homemade instruments.
(c) The privilege of having camp plays.
(d) The return to standard rations.
3. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
(b) Attack Yoshima.
(c) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
(d) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
4. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 10 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
5. What has Grey learned from his spy about the diamond?
(a) It is a fake.
(b) It is more valuable than first thought.
(c) It is about to change hands soon.
(d) It has been stolen by a Korean guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What is the doctor's consolation to Marlowe if he has to amputate?
3. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
4. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
5. How much does the King take as his commission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marlowe's visit with McCoy in the infirmary.
2. Who does the King invite to start up a rat breeding operation and what is the plan?
3. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
4. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
5. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
6. Describe Tiny Timsen.
7. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
8. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
9. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
10. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)