|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor about the airfield?
(a) It is going to be paved.
(b) It flooded in the last rain and is now full of pits and holes.
(c) That it is being abandoned so the Americans have no good place to land.
(d) That three coconut trees will be felled.
2. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
(b) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(c) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(d) It is a family heirloom.
3. What does Marlowe bargain out of Sutra?
(b) A radio.
(c) A hen.
(d) A piglet.
4. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is happy McCoy is getting better.
(c) He wants to impress Marlowe.
(d) The King asks him to do so.
5. How much does the King take as his commission?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
2. What does Grey find on the King when he catches him?
3. About what does Torusumi talk?
4. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
5. When does the King say he will pay Timsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
2. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
3. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
4. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
5. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
6. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
7. How does Marlowe manage to obtain a radio and what is the King's reaction?
8. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
9. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
10. Describe Tiny Timsen.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)