|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what could Marlowe eventually die?
(c) Dengue fever.
2. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
(a) To trick the Korean guards into telling the news.
(b) To call a meeting of the highest-ranking officers and let them decide.
(c) For each to tell two friends, who tell two friends.
(d) They decide not to say anything since things are not going that well.
3. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
(a) That he is willing to break the rules.
(b) That he is on the King's payroll.
(c) That he likes Steven.
(d) That he is friends with Lt. Grey.
4. Why does the King trip?
(a) To give Marlowe a chance to get away with the money.
(b) He has his shoes on the wrong feet.
(c) He missess seeing a root sticking up out of the ground.
(d) To trip Grey and make it look like an accident.
5. What is the rumor about the airfield?
(a) It is going to be paved.
(b) That it is being abandoned so the Americans have no good place to land.
(c) It flooded in the last rain and is now full of pits and holes.
(d) That three coconut trees will be felled.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
2. When does the King say he will pay Timsen?
3. How much do delivery, nurse and equipment cost to take care of Marlowe?
4. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
5. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
2. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
3. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
4. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
5. Describe Tiny Timsen.
6. Describe Marlowe's visit with McCoy in the infirmary.
7. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
8. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
9. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
10. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)