|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King offer Marlowe to join his payroll?
(a) A geisha at his beck and call.
(b) $20 a week.
(c) One good meal a day.
(d) $50 a week.
2. With whom do the King and Marlowe meet in the night?
(a) Col. Brant.
(b) A man with six daughters.
(c) A Korean guard.
(d) A Buddhist monk.
3. What is Vexley's favorite topic in biology class?
4. Why is Lt. Grey summoning the person?
(a) To ask about supplies that are to arrive.
(b) To get maps of the island.
(c) For an inventory.
(d) For a tongue lashing.
5. What do the conspirators wonder in Hut 16?
(a) Who betrays them.
(b) If Marlowe can fix the transponder.
(c) If the King can get another radio crystal.
(d) If Col. Brant will be moved to Ultram.
6. What does Larkin say Australians need to do?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(c) Have geisha girls in the camp.
(d) Feel like men.
7. Of what does Grey say he has heard rumors?
(a) A diamond in the camp.
(b) An armistice.
(c) That they are to be given new clothing next week.
(d) An allied invasion.
8. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
(a) Lt. Grey.
(b) Col. Brant.
9. For what do the Korean guards search?
(a) Woman brought into the camp illegally.
(b) Any contraband.
(c) An illegal radio.
(d) Illegal rations.
10. What POW camp is Marlowe in before coming to Changi?
(a) Changi is his first time in a POW camp.
(b) Malay POW camps.
(c) Burma POW camps.
(d) Java POW camps.
11. Who drinks quinine and then has nightmares?
(c) Lt. Grey.
12. What is Col. Sellars missing?
(a) A money clip.
(b) A armband.
(c) A watch.
(d) A ring.
13. What does King see in Marlowe's offer?
(a) An attempt to entrap the King.
(b) Commercial value.
(c) A kindness the King does not deserve.
(d) A catch somewhere.
14. About what does Grey read?
(a) How to make clothing with hemp.
(b) How to make hooch with rice.
(c) God afflicting Job.
(d) How the war fares.
15. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Trying to corner a rat.
(b) Gathering bamboo shoots.
(c) Breeding pigeons.
(d) Tying up Lt. Grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads a raid?
2. Why have the rat breeders installed a trap door to the "kennels"?
3. Why does Grey feel defeated?
4. What does Col. Smedly-Taylor ask Yoshima?
5. Who is Sean?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)