|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the King get Vexley talking about rat breeding?
(a) By giving Vexley a cigarette.
(b) By offering him a small percentage in the rat meat business.
(c) By threatening to tell on Vesley for having extra rations.
(d) He cannot seem to get Vexley to talk about rats.
2. Why does the King thank Sgt. Masters?
(a) For helping the King recover from a bout of Malaria.
(b) To ask when some quinine might become available.
(c) For tipping the King off about Lt. Grey's message.
(d) For the wine the Sgt. gives the King.
3. How soon can a newly-born rat breed?
(a) At 6 months.
(b) Anywhere from 1-5 months.
(c) At about a year of age.
(d) Within 2 months.
4. Who drinks quinine and then has nightmares?
(d) Lt. Grey.
5. What fault does Col. Brant find with the King?
(a) Harrassing the laundress.
(b) Being late to formation.
(c) Wearing a dirty uniform.
(d) Flaunting his wealth.
6. Where does the King want to set up a rat farm?
(a) In an excavation under the Korean solders's barracks.
(b) In the officer's latrine area.
(c) In the slit trench under a hut.
(d) In the jungle outside the wire.
7. What does King offer Marlowe to join his payroll?
(a) $20 a week.
(b) One good meal a day.
(c) A geisha at his beck and call.
(d) $50 a week.
8. In what language are the man and native speaking?
9. Who is Sean?
(a) A cross-dresser.
(b) The camp idiot.
(c) The camp cook.
(d) A young boy who serves the officers.
10. What does Dr. Prudhomme announce?
(a) Another run-in with the Japanese doctor.
(b) Two upcoming amputations.
(c) Two upcoming appendectomies.
(d) Four more deaths.
11. What is Maj. Barry asking King to sell?
(a) A Ronson cigarette lighter.
(b) A pair of scissors.
(c) A switchblade.
(d) Two packs of cigarettes.
12. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Trying to corner a rat.
(b) Tying up Lt. Grey.
(c) Breeding pigeons.
(d) Gathering bamboo shoots.
13. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
(a) The Utram Road jail.
(b) The Ginseng dungeons.
(c) No place.
(d) The Ultra fortress.
14. What do three officers share after the rain?
(a) Some illegal hooch.
(b) A rare cigar.
(c) Information from the wireless.
(d) An egg mixed in rice and a cigarette.
15. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
(a) Lt. Grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one problem that could impact humans?
2. What secret does the King leak to the Australians?
3. What surprises King about Marlowe?
4. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
5. How does the King help McCoy?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)