|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is the King thinking when he spies a man talking with a native?
(a) Selling the item for Major Barry.
(b) Asking Col. Brant for a transfer.
(c) Doing K.P.
(d) A diamond deal.
2. How long does it take to construct a radio?
(a) They don't have the parts to construct a radio.
(b) Five months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few days.
3. Why does Grey feel defeated?
(a) Col. Brant has demoted him.
(b) Marlowe plays along with King's lie.
(c) Col. Brant won't allow him to run the comissary.
(d) He cannot beat the other men at cards.
4. Why have the rat breeders installed a trap door to the "kennels"?
(a) They decide not to install a trap door as it would be too apparent something was going on.
(b) To trap anyone trying to steal a rat couple.
(c) To keep the rats from digging out.
(d) To keep the curious out.
5. What is Rusa tikus?
(a) Rat meat.
(b) The swear word that a captive Russian civilian uses all the time.
(c) The code word for accessing the radio.
(d) The code word to the Korean guard who lets the King into the village.
6. Who tries to construct a new wireless?
(a) The King.
(c) Lt. Grey.
7. Of what does Steven complain?
(a) The smells in the infirmary.
(c) The King's priviledges.
(d) The way his clothes are scratching him.
8. For what do the Korean guards search?
(a) An illegal radio.
(b) Woman brought into the camp illegally.
(c) Any contraband.
(d) Illegal rations.
9. Why does the King thank Sgt. Masters?
(a) To ask when some quinine might become available.
(b) For the wine the Sgt. gives the King.
(c) For helping the King recover from a bout of Malaria.
(d) For tipping the King off about Lt. Grey's message.
10. Who may sit on the lone throne?
(a) Any Major and above.
(b) Only Generals.
(c) Only officers.
(d) Only Colonels.
11. Who leads a raid?
(a) Major Barry.
(b) Lt. Grey.
(c) Capt. Brough.
(d) Col. Brant.
12. What is Eve?
(a) The first female rat they breed.
(b) The code word for the breeding project.
(c) The name Steven calls himself in his latest play.
(d) No one knows who Eve is; the word just appears on a hut wall one day.
13. To what does the King invite Marlowe?
(a) To go outside the wire.
(b) A rat roast.
(c) A planning session.
(d) A rich lunch.
14. What POW camp is Marlowe in before coming to Changi?
(a) Changi is his first time in a POW camp.
(b) Burma POW camps.
(c) Malay POW camps.
(d) Java POW camps.
15. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A Korean soldier who wants in on the rat business.
(b) A female rat he has captured.
(c) A new prisoner who worked with rats in a medical lab.
(d) A different breed of rats that may not carry the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King see in Marlowe's offer?
2. What do the conspirators wonder in Hut 16?
3. Who does the King speak to across the compound?
4. Why is Grey angry?
5. What does Grey see the King do?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)