|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the King thank Sgt. Masters?
(a) For helping the King recover from a bout of Malaria.
(b) To ask when some quinine might become available.
(c) For tipping the King off about Lt. Grey's message.
(d) For the wine the Sgt. gives the King.
2. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
(a) Tobacco cured in the Javanese way.
(b) A Cuban cigar.
(c) A machete.
(d) A free night out in town.
3. How soon can a newly-born rat breed?
(a) At 6 months.
(b) Anywhere from 1-5 months.
(c) Within 2 months.
(d) At about a year of age.
4. Who does the King speak to across the compound?
(a) Major Johnson.
(b) Lt. Grey cannot ascertain.
(c) No one.
(d) Captain Quigg.
5. Who tries to construct a new wireless?
(b) Lt. Grey.
(c) The King.
6. What do three officers share after the rain?
(a) An egg mixed in rice and a cigarette.
(b) Information from the wireless.
(c) Some illegal hooch.
(d) A rare cigar.
7. What does Lt. Grey want in Chapter 11?
(a) To die.
(b) To be left alone.
(c) To take over Lt. Dexter's job.
(d) To go outside the wire to a geisha girl.
8. Why is Lt. Grey summoning the person?
(a) For a tongue lashing.
(b) To get maps of the island.
(c) To ask about supplies that are to arrive.
(d) For an inventory.
9. Why is Grey angry?
(a) At the fact that Col. Brant upbraids him in front of enlisted men.
(b) At the fact that the King still eludes him.
(c) That the Japanese camp commandant accuses Grey of patronizing the guards.
(d) At being assigned new duties.
10. What does King want Marlowe to do?
(a) Negotiate with Grey about the diamond.
(b) Go with him outside the wire.
(c) Build a radio.
(d) Discipline two of the British airmen.
11. How long is the first litter's gestation?
(a) 35 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 22 days.
(d) 90 days.
12. What is Maj. Barry asking King to sell?
(a) A switchblade.
(b) Two packs of cigarettes.
(c) A Ronson cigarette lighter.
(d) A pair of scissors.
13. How does the King help McCoy?
(a) Gets him the insulin he needs.
(b) Takes him to visit a witch doctor outside the wire.
(c) Cures his ankle ulcers.
(d) Smuggles a letter out to his girlfriend.
14. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A new prisoner who worked with rats in a medical lab.
(b) A Korean soldier who wants in on the rat business.
(c) A different breed of rats that may not carry the plague.
(d) A female rat he has captured.
15. What is Daven doing?
(a) Raising rats.
(b) Working on the radio.
(c) Working undercover for the Koreans.
(d) Working undercover for Grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the King get Vexley talking about rat breeding?
2. What does Grey see the King do?
3. Why does the King panic at Marlowe's request?
4. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
5. What does Grey use Marlowe for concerning the diamond?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)