|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Prudhomme announce?
(a) Four more deaths.
(b) Two upcoming appendectomies.
(c) Another run-in with the Japanese doctor.
(d) Two upcoming amputations.
2. What secret does the King leak to the Australians?
(a) About the tobacco process.
(b) About the Korean guards.
(c) About the rats.
(d) About Lt. Grey's wife.
3. Who tries to construct a new wireless?
(a) Lt. Grey.
(c) The King.
4. What is Eve?
(a) The first female rat they breed.
(b) The name Steven calls himself in his latest play.
(c) No one knows who Eve is; the word just appears on a hut wall one day.
(d) The code word for the breeding project.
5. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
(a) A machete.
(b) Tobacco cured in the Javanese way.
(c) A Cuban cigar.
(d) A free night out in town.
6. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Breeding pigeons.
(b) Trying to corner a rat.
(c) Tying up Lt. Grey.
(d) Gathering bamboo shoots.
7. What does Larkin say Australians need to do?
(a) Drink whiskey.
(b) Feel like men.
(c) Have geisha girls in the camp.
8. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A different breed of rats that may not carry the plague.
(b) A new prisoner who worked with rats in a medical lab.
(c) A female rat he has captured.
(d) A Korean soldier who wants in on the rat business.
9. For what do the Korean guards search?
(a) Illegal rations.
(b) Any contraband.
(c) Woman brought into the camp illegally.
(d) An illegal radio.
10. What POW camp is Marlowe in before coming to Changi?
(a) Burma POW camps.
(b) Changi is his first time in a POW camp.
(c) Malay POW camps.
(d) Java POW camps.
11. About what does Grey read?
(a) How the war fares.
(b) How to make clothing with hemp.
(c) God afflicting Job.
(d) How to make hooch with rice.
12. What does King see in Marlowe's offer?
(a) Commercial value.
(b) A kindness the King does not deserve.
(c) A catch somewhere.
(d) An attempt to entrap the King.
13. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
(a) Snakes and flooding of the cages.
(b) Discovery and snakes.
(c) Cannibalism and fighting.
(d) Snakes and stealing.
14. What does Marlowe ask of King?
(a) To help the chaplain.
(b) To befriend another enlisted man.
(c) To help the doctor.
(d) A light for his cigarette.
15. Who drinks quinine and then has nightmares?
(c) Lt. Grey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Peter Marlowe?
2. How does Lt. Grey think of his wife?
3. With whom do the King and Marlowe meet in the night?
4. What is Grey to check in the ditch by Hut 16?
5. Why have the rat breeders installed a trap door to the "kennels"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)