|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what do the officers depend heavily for survival?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) The blind eyes of the Korean guards.
(c) Three hens.
(d) A goat which they milk.
2. Why does Grey feel defeated?
(a) Col. Brant won't allow him to run the comissary.
(b) Marlowe plays along with King's lie.
(c) Col. Brant has demoted him.
(d) He cannot beat the other men at cards.
3. What does Marlowe ask of King?
(a) To help the doctor.
(b) A light for his cigarette.
(c) To befriend another enlisted man.
(d) To help the chaplain.
4. About what does Grey read?
(a) God afflicting Job.
(b) How the war fares.
(c) How to make hooch with rice.
(d) How to make clothing with hemp.
5. What does the doctor rule as cause of death on Gurble?
(b) Heart attack.
6. Who reprimands both Lt. Grey and the man he summons?
(a) Col. Brant.
(b) Major Johnson.
(c) Captain Quigg.
(d) Col. Bird.
7. With whom do the King and Marlowe meet in the night?
(a) A Korean guard.
(b) A man with six daughters.
(c) Col. Brant.
(d) A Buddhist monk.
8. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
(a) No place.
(b) The Ginseng dungeons.
(c) The Utram Road jail.
(d) The Ultra fortress.
9. What fault does Col. Brant find with the King?
(a) Being late to formation.
(b) Flaunting his wealth.
(c) Wearing a dirty uniform.
(d) Harrassing the laundress.
10. What is essential to the rat project?
(a) That it be kept a secret.
(b) The permission of the officers.
(c) The tacit permission of the Korean guards.
(d) To have enough space.
11. Who is Peter Marlowe?
(a) A Marine colonel.
(b) A journalist.
(c) An Air Force general.
(d) The man speaking with the native.
12. For what do the Korean guards search?
(a) Any contraband.
(b) Illegal rations.
(c) Woman brought into the camp illegally.
(d) An illegal radio.
13. Where does Col. Kennedy go after talking with the King?
(a) To talk with Col. Brant.
(b) To attend another death.
(c) Outside the wire.
(d) To the Korean guards to ask for more quinine.
14. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
(c) Lt. Grey.
(d) Col. Brant.
15. What is one problem that could impact humans?
(b) Rat meat goes rancid very quickly.
(c) The psychological problem of eating rat.
(d) The fleas on rats can carry plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is the King thinking when he spies a man talking with a native?
2. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
3. In what language are the man and native speaking?
4. What does Col. Smedly-Taylor ask Yoshima?
5. Who does the King speak to across the compound?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)