|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marlowe get the King in trouble in the first place?
(a) To irritate Lt. Grey.
(b) A love of danger.
(c) He does not like the man.
(d) To see what sort of man the King is.
2. Who is Sean?
(a) The camp cook.
(b) The camp idiot.
(c) A cross-dresser.
(d) A young boy who serves the officers.
3. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Trying to corner a rat.
(b) Tying up Lt. Grey.
(c) Gathering bamboo shoots.
(d) Breeding pigeons.
4. What is essential to the rat project?
(a) The permission of the officers.
(b) That it be kept a secret.
(c) The tacit permission of the Korean guards.
(d) To have enough space.
5. What is Grey to check in the ditch by Hut 16?
(a) A stash of hemp fibers for weaving.
(b) A can.
(c) A stash of weed.
(d) A dead body.
6. Why have the rat breeders installed a trap door to the "kennels"?
(a) They decide not to install a trap door as it would be too apparent something was going on.
(b) To keep the curious out.
(c) To trap anyone trying to steal a rat couple.
(d) To keep the rats from digging out.
7. About what is the King thinking when he spies a man talking with a native?
(a) Doing K.P.
(b) Asking Col. Brant for a transfer.
(c) A diamond deal.
(d) Selling the item for Major Barry.
8. In what language are the man and native speaking?
9. How long does it take to construct a radio?
(a) They don't have the parts to construct a radio.
(b) Five months.
(c) A few days.
(d) Two weeks.
10. How soon can a newly-born rat breed?
(a) Within 2 months.
(b) At 6 months.
(c) At about a year of age.
(d) Anywhere from 1-5 months.
11. On what does Grey splurge?
(a) A half cup of milk.
(b) A second cigarette for the day.
(c) A night with one of the geisha girls.
(d) A night sneaking out of the camp.
12. What secret does the King leak to the Australians?
(a) About the Korean guards.
(b) About the rats.
(c) About the tobacco process.
(d) About Lt. Grey's wife.
13. Why does Grey feel defeated?
(a) Col. Brant won't allow him to run the comissary.
(b) Col. Brant has demoted him.
(c) He cannot beat the other men at cards.
(d) Marlowe plays along with King's lie.
14. About how many litters per year can the Rattus norvegicus have per year?
(a) Anywhere from 5-40 depending upon its individual fertility.
15. What does King see in Marlowe's offer?
(a) An attempt to entrap the King.
(b) A catch somewhere.
(c) Commercial value.
(d) A kindness the King does not deserve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Peter Marlowe?
2. Why does the King thank Sgt. Masters?
3. What POW camp is Marlowe in before coming to Changi?
4. What does King offer Marlowe to join his payroll?
5. Of what does Grey say he has heard rumors?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)