|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Sean?
(a) A cross-dresser.
(b) The camp idiot.
(c) A young boy who serves the officers.
(d) The camp cook.
2. How does Marlowe learn that the King has a temper?
(a) When Col. Brant asks the King for extra quinine.
(b) When Lt. Grey comes in to try to sniff out the diamond.
(c) When the King gets angry at Max for a racist comment Max makes.
(d) When Capt. Brady turns in an enlisted man for a minor infraction.
3. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
(c) Lt. Grey.
4. What does the doctor rule as cause of death on Gurble?
(c) Heart attack.
5. What happens to Daven and Cox?
(a) They are executed.
(b) They are flogged.
(c) They are hung in stocks for five days.
(d) They are sent to Ultram Road Jail.
6. About what is the King thinking when he spies a man talking with a native?
(a) Doing K.P.
(b) A diamond deal.
(c) Asking Col. Brant for a transfer.
(d) Selling the item for Major Barry.
7. Who may sit on the lone throne?
(a) Only Colonels.
(b) Only officers.
(c) Only Generals.
(d) Any Major and above.
8. Where does the King want to set up a rat farm?
(a) In the jungle outside the wire.
(b) In an excavation under the Korean solders's barracks.
(c) In the slit trench under a hut.
(d) In the officer's latrine area.
9. With whom do the King and Marlowe meet in the night?
(a) Col. Brant.
(b) A Korean guard.
(c) A Buddhist monk.
(d) A man with six daughters.
10. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
(a) Gathering bamboo shoots.
(b) Breeding pigeons.
(c) Tying up Lt. Grey.
(d) Trying to corner a rat.
11. Why is Lt. Grey summoning the person?
(a) For an inventory.
(b) For a tongue lashing.
(c) To get maps of the island.
(d) To ask about supplies that are to arrive.
12. In what language are the man and native speaking?
13. On what do the officers depend heavily for survival?
(a) A milk cow.
(b) A goat which they milk.
(c) Three hens.
(d) The blind eyes of the Korean guards.
14. Who is Peter Marlowe?
(a) An Air Force general.
(b) The man speaking with the native.
(c) A Marine colonel.
(d) A journalist.
15. Why is Grey angry?
(a) That the Japanese camp commandant accuses Grey of patronizing the guards.
(b) At the fact that Col. Brant upbraids him in front of enlisted men.
(c) At the fact that the King still eludes him.
(d) At being assigned new duties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marlowe get the King in trouble in the first place?
2. What did Smedly-Taylor ask of Cox and Daven?
3. What is one problem that could impact humans?
4. Who does the King summon into his hut?
5. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)