|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous people attend the great race in Chapter 23?
2. In Chapter 17, who is looking for Agba at the Red Lion Inn?
3. Who fathers the colt that outruns all of the Earl of Godophin's other colts?
4. Where is Agba sent in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 16, why doesn't Agba defend himself against his accusers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
2. Why is Agba arrested?
3. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
4. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
5. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
6. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
7. How does the carter treat Sham?
8. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
9. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
10. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does language play in Agba's life? What advantages and disadvantages does Agba experience due to his inability to speak? How does the change in language that Agba experiences as he travels from country to country affect his character as well as Sham's character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)