|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sham stabled in Chapter 21?
2. Who is Grimalkin?
3. What is Gog Magog?
4. Why is the Earl of Godolphin considering selling his stables?
5. What new name is Sham given in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
2. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
3. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
4. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
5. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
6. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
7. How does the carter treat Sham?
8. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
9. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
10. How is Agba treated while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)