|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Agba in jail?
2. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have run in the race?
3. After Agba leaves the cook, who hires him?
4. What does "Godolphin" mean?
5. Who buys Sham from Mr. Coke?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
2. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
3. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
4. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
5. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
6. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
7. Why is Agba arrested?
8. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
9. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
10. How is Agba treated while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
Essay Topic 3
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)