|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Agba sent in Chapter 20?
2. In Chapter 16, why doesn't Agba defend himself against his accusers?
3. Who fathers the colt that outruns all of the Earl of Godophin's other colts?
4. Who are Cade and Regulus?
5. Who asks about Sham's pedigree in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
2. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
3. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
4. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
5. How does the carter treat Sham?
6. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
7. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
8. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
9. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
10. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What role does politics play in Sham's survival? Describe how Sham's life is affected by Moroccan, French, and English politics. Which elements of each political system benefit Sham's character? Which elements of each political system harm Sham's character?
Essay Topic 3
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)