|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sham stabled in Chapter 21?
2. What crime is Agba accused of?
3. Who reduces Agba's bread ration?
4. In Chapter 17, who is looking for Agba at the Red Lion Inn?
5. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have run in the race?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
2. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
3. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
4. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
5. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
6. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
7. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
8. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
9. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
10. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do signs and superstitions play in the novel? How do signs and superstitions affect Sham's character? How do signs and superstitions influence the actions of other characters? If this one element of the book had been omitted, how might Sham's life have been different?
Essay Topic 2
What role does language play in Agba's life? What advantages and disadvantages does Agba experience due to his inability to speak? How does the change in language that Agba experiences as he travels from country to country affect his character as well as Sham's character?
Essay Topic 3
How does rejection affect Sham and Agba's characters? What types of rejection does each character experience and how does each character react to rejection? How do these two characters use rejection to create acceptance and success?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)