|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls on the police to arrest Sham?
2. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have watch the race?
3. In Chapter 17, who is looking for Agba at the Red Lion Inn?
4. Who is Titus Twickerham?
5. Who rides into town with the Dowager Duchess of Marlborough and the Earl of Godolphin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Agba treated while in prison?
2. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
3. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
4. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
5. How does the carter treat Sham?
6. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
7. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
8. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
9. Why is Agba arrested?
10. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
Essay Topic 3
What role does language play in Agba's life? What advantages and disadvantages does Agba experience due to his inability to speak? How does the change in language that Agba experiences as he travels from country to country affect his character as well as Sham's character?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)