|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have run in the race?
2. Why is Benjamin afraid to ride Sham?
3. Who explains that Sham's pedigree is written in his sons?
4. What does Titus Twickerham think Sham would do best?
5. What does the carter threaten to do to Sham when the horse falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
2. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
3. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
4. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
5. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
6. How does the carter treat Sham?
7. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
8. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
9. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
10. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
What role does politics play in Sham's survival? Describe how Sham's life is affected by Moroccan, French, and English politics. Which elements of each political system benefit Sham's character? Which elements of each political system harm Sham's character?
Essay Topic 3
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)