|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wins the race in Chapter 23?
2. How does the carter punish Sham?
3. In Chapter 20, who comes to visit Agba in his hovel?
4. Where is Sham stabled in Chapter 21?
5. Who is kind enough to provide Sham with barley and oats in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
2. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
3. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
4. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
5. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
6. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
7. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
8. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
9. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
10. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)