|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overloads the carter's cart?
2. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have watch the race?
3. Who is Titus Twickerham?
4. Who appeals to the warden on Agba's behalf in Chapter 16?
5. Who is Grimalkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
2. Why is Agba arrested?
3. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
4. How is Agba treated while in prison?
5. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
6. How does the carter treat Sham?
7. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
8. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
9. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
10. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
Essay Topic 2
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)