|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reduces Agba's bread ration?
2. What does Sham do to the English horse-breaker hired to tame him?
3. In Chapter 22, who does the Earl want to have watch the race?
4. Who destroys Sham's pedigree?
5. In Chapter 12, where does Agba look for Sham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
2. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
3. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
4. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
5. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
6. Why is Agba arrested?
7. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
8. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
9. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
10. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
Essay Topic 3
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)