|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who destroys Sham's pedigree?
2. Who owns Sham in Chapter 12?
3. Where is Agba sent in Chapter 20?
4. What does Sham do to the English horse-breaker hired to tame him?
5. Who wins the race in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
2. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
3. How does the carter treat Sham?
4. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
5. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
6. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
7. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
8. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
9. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
10. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do signs and superstitions play in the novel? How do signs and superstitions affect Sham's character? How do signs and superstitions influence the actions of other characters? If this one element of the book had been omitted, how might Sham's life have been different?
Essay Topic 2
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)