|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Titus Twickerham think Sham would do best?
2. Who wins the race in Chapter 23?
3. Who owns Sham in Chapter 12?
4. Who is King of the Wind?
5. What new name is Sham given in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
2. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
3. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
4. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
5. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
6. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
7. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
8. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
9. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
10. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)