|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sham anger the carter?
2. Where is Sham stabled in Chapter 21?
3. Where is the great race held in Chapter 23?
4. In Chapter 17, who is looking for Agba at the Red Lion Inn?
5. Who calls on the police to arrest Sham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
2. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
3. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
4. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
5. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
6. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
7. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
8. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
9. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
10. How is Agba treated while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 2
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)