|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the carter threaten to do to Sham when the horse falls?
2. How long is Agba in jail?
3. Who smells of lavender and cakes?
4. What crime is Agba accused of?
5. What does Agba eat while in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
2. How does the carter treat Sham?
3. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
4. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
5. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
6. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
7. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
8. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
9. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
10. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 2
How does rejection affect Sham and Agba's characters? What types of rejection does each character experience and how does each character react to rejection? How do these two characters use rejection to create acceptance and success?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)