|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sham stabled in Chapter 21?
2. Who is Lath?
3. Who is Roxana?
4. Who explains that Sham's pedigree is written in his sons?
5. Who does Sham knock down on the stable floor in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
2. What special treatment does Sham receive when he returns from Wicken Fen?
3. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
4. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
5. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
6. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
7. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
8. How is Agba treated while in prison?
9. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
10. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 2
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)