|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appeals to the warden on Agba's behalf in Chapter 16?
2. Which famous people attend the great race in Chapter 23?
3. What is the Queen's plate?
4. How long is Agba in jail?
5. How does Sham anger the carter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
2. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
3. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
4. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
5. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
6. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
7. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
8. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
9. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
10. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 3
How does rejection affect Sham and Agba's characters? What types of rejection does each character experience and how does each character react to rejection? How do these two characters use rejection to create acceptance and success?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)