|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal also lives in Sham's shed in Chapter 12?
2. Which famous people attend the great race in Chapter 23?
3. Which chore does Agba despise in Chapter 19?
4. What is Gog Magog?
5. How does Agba recognize Sham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba into his home in Chapter 22?
2. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
3. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
4. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
5. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
6. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
7. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
8. Describe the family Sham sires with Roxana.
9. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
10. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)