|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 20, who comes to visit Agba in his hovel?
2. Who wins the race in Chapter 23?
3. How long is Agba in jail?
4. Who is waiting for Sham and Agba in Chapter 21?
5. Who keeps Agba company while he is in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
2. How does Agba find Sham in Paris?
3. How does the Earl of Godolphin plan to save his stables from financial ruin?
4. How does Mrs. Cockburn help Agba in prison?
5. Why doesn't Benjamin Biggle want to ride Sham?
6. Why do Sham and Agba leave Mr. Coke's stables?
7. Why does the Earl of Godolphin invite Agba back to Gog Magog?
8. How does Sham prove his pedigree?
9. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
10. Describe the Earl of Godolphin's stables.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)