|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the procession to the city limits in Chapter 9?
2. Which horse wins the race in the Prologue?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Agba pack for his journey?
4. Where does the cook sell Sham?
5. In Chapter 1, how many horses does Agba care for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the new moon?
2. Why is Sham sent to France?
3. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
4. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
5. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
6. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
7. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
8. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
9. What advice does Big Red's trainer give the horse's jockey, and why?
10. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 3
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)