|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the Sultan's horses amulets?
2. Why does the Sultan want Signor Achmet to select six horses and six horse boys?
3. What do the horses and their stable boys look like to the Duke when they arrive in France?
4. Why does the cook sell Sham?
5. How long does it take for Signor Achmet, the horses, and the stable boys to sail to France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
2. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
3. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
4. How does Agba's disability save his life?
5. What advice does Big Red's trainer give the horse's jockey, and why?
6. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
7. What is the significance of the new moon?
8. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
9. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
10. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)