|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous horse is Man o' War descended from?
2. Why does the Sultan want Signor Achmet to select six horses and six horse boys?
3. Where are the horses racing in the Prologue?
4. Who gives the Sultan's horses amulets?
5. Why doesn't Agba speak to the Sultan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
2. Describe Agba.
3. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
4. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
5. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
6. What advice does Big Red's trainer give the horse's jockey, and why?
7. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
8. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
9. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
10. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
Essay Topic 2
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)