|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
2. What unusual command does the Sultan give in Chapter 1?
3. What does the Duke advise the King to do with the Moroccan horses?
4. Which horse wins the race in the Prologue?
5. Which country does Man o' War represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
2. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
3. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
4. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
5. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
6. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
7. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
8. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
9. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
10. What is the significance of the new moon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
Essay Topic 2
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)