|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Agba think the Sultan looks like?
2. Why doesn't Agba immediately tell anyone about the foal's birth?
3. Why is the mare described as being like the wind?
4. How long does it take for Signor Achmet, the horses, and the stable boys to sail to France?
5. What natural skill does Sham possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
2. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
3. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
4. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
5. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
6. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
7. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
8. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
9. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
10. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)