|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Man 'o War's nickname?
2. Who is Man 'o War's owner?
3. Why is Agba worried about the mare he tends?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
5. What do the two signs on the foal signify?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
2. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
3. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
4. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
5. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
6. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
7. Why is Sham sent to France?
8. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
9. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
10. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
Essay Topic 2
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)