|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
2. Why is the mare described as being like the wind?
3. Where is Sham sent in Chapter 11?
4. Why doesn't the French King's adviser want to see the horses from Morocco?
5. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
2. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
3. Why doesn't the Earl of Godolphin inscribe anything on Sham's gravestone?
4. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
5. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
6. How does Agba become the foal's "father"?
7. Why is Agba arrested?
8. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
9. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
10. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
Essay Topic 1
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)