Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sham fitted for in Chapter 8?
2. What animal does the mare once outrun?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
4. Why does the cook sell Sham?
5. What command does Signor Achmet give Agba in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
2. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
3. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
4. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
5. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
6. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
7. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
8. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
9. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
10. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)