|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
2. Where does Agba fall asleep at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Why do Man 'o War's fans want him to race at Newmarket?
4. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
5. What does Signor Achmet announce in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
2. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
3. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
4. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
5. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
6. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
7. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
8. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
9. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
10. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does rejection affect Sham and Agba's characters? What types of rejection does each character experience and how does each character react to rejection? How do these two characters use rejection to create acceptance and success?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sham and Hobgoblin's rivalry affect the development of the story? What factors or characters have influenced their rivalry, and why? What other rivalries are evident in the novel and how do they relate to the rivalry between the two stallions?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)