|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Agba supposed to alert about the foal's birth?
2. Why is Agba worried about the mare he tends?
3. In Chapter 1, how many horses does Agba care for?
4. What is Sham fitted for in Chapter 8?
5. Where does Signor Achmet go in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
2. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
3. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
4. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
5. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
6. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
7. How does Agba convince Signor Achmet that the foal is not unlucky?
8. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
9. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
10. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
Essay Topic 2
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 3
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)