|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Man 'o War's owner?
2. In Chapter 2, how does Agba prepare a bed for the mare?
3. In Chapter 2, when does Agba eat his meal?
4. In Chapter 1, how many horses does Agba care for?
5. Where is Sham sent in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
2. Why is Sham sent to France?
3. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
4. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
5. How does Agba become the foal's "father"?
6. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
7. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
8. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
9. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
10. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
Essay Topic 3
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)