|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sham fitted for in Chapter 8?
2. What animal does the mare once outrun?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
4. Why does the cook sell Sham?
5. What command does Signor Achmet give Agba in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
2. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
3. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
4. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
5. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
6. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
7. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
8. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
9. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
10. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
Essay Topic 1
What role do signs and superstitions play in the novel? How do signs and superstitions affect Sham's character? How do signs and superstitions influence the actions of other characters? If this one element of the book had been omitted, how might Sham's life have been different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
Essay Topic 3
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
This section contains 1,630 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)