|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Agba pack for his journey?
2. Why does Agba measure Sham in Chapter 8?
3. What mark does Agba notice on the new foal?
4. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 1, why does no one at the palace eat during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
2. How does Agba become the foal's "father"?
3. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
4. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
5. Why is Sham sent to France?
6. What advice does Big Red's trainer give the horse's jockey, and why?
7. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
8. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
9. What is the significance of the new moon?
10. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
Essay Topic 2
What value do Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham hold for their owners? What factors influence each horse's value throughout his career? Describe each horse's intrinsic value and extrinsic value and explain which value defines each horse's character.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)