|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Agba eat with the other stable boys?
2. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
3. What do the stable boys do aboard the ship bound for France?
4. How does Signor Achmet react to the boar's squeal in Chapter 4?
5. What animal does the mare once outrun?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
2. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
3. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
4. How do Signor Achmet's prophecies contradict each other?
5. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
6. Why is Sham sent to France?
7. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
8. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
9. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
10. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
Essay Topic 3
How does rejection affect Sham and Agba's characters? What types of rejection does each character experience and how does each character react to rejection? How do these two characters use rejection to create acceptance and success?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)