|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new moon represent to Agba?
2. What natural skill does Sham possess?
3. Who is Signor Achmet?
4. Who tells Agba that the mare is made of wind?
5. What is Sham fitted for in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
2. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
3. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
4. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
5. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
6. Describe Agba.
7. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
8. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
9. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
10. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 2
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)