|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
2. What must Agba do before he can approach the Sultan?
3. Why doesn't the French King's adviser want to see the horses from Morocco?
4. Why does Agba worry about Sham in Chapter 6?
5. What advice does Man 'o War's trainer give the jockey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
2. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
3. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
4. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
5. Why is Sham sent to France?
6. How does Agba's disability save his life?
7. How does Agba convince Signor Achmet that the foal is not unlucky?
8. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
9. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
10. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)