|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Sultan want Signor Achmet to select six horses and six horse boys?
2. Why is the Sultan pleased with Agba's silence?
3. What does the Duke advise the King to do with the Moroccan horses?
4. What promise does Agba make to the foal?
5. What animal does the mare once outrun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
2. How does Agba's disability save his life?
3. Describe Agba.
4. How do Signor Achmet's prophecies contradict each other?
5. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
6. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
7. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
8. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
9. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
10. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the concept of justice expressed in the novel? Which characters seek justice, and how? Which characters oppose justice, and how? Is justice served in the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the successes of Man 'o War (Big Red) and Sham. How do these horses prove themselves? What challenges must they overcome in order to succeed? How do their trainers influence their successes?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)