|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
2. What is written on the papers the Sultan includes in the horse's gifts?
3. Why does Signor Achmet scold Agba in Chapter 2?
4. Where is Sham sent in Chapter 11?
5. What do the two signs on the foal signify?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
2. How does Agba convince Signor Achmet that the foal is not unlucky?
3. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
4. Why is Sham sent to France?
5. Why doesn't Agba break his fast with the other stable boys?
6. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
7. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
8. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
9. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
10. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
Essay Topic 2
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)