|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Signor Achmet go in Chapter 11?
2. What does Agba think the Sultan looks like?
3. What do the two signs on the foal signify?
4. Why doesn't the mare eat the corn Agba brings her in Chapter 2?
5. Who gives the Sultan's horses amulets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
2. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
3. Describe Agba.
4. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
5. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
6. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
7. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
8. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
9. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
10. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)