|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agba worry about Sham in Chapter 6?
2. What unusual command does the Sultan give in Chapter 1?
3. What does the Duke advise the King to do with the Moroccan horses?
4. Which famous horse is Man o' War descended from?
5. Why doesn't the mare eat the corn Agba brings her in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
2. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
3. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
4. How is Agba treated while in prison?
5. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
6. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
7. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
8. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
9. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
10. How does Agba's disability save his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? If so, how? If not, why? Which factors or characters influence his ability to gain that title? How does Sham's attempt to become the "King of the Wind" influence other horses as well as the human characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role does politics play in Sham's survival? Describe how Sham's life is affected by Moroccan, French, and English politics. Which elements of each political system benefit Sham's character? Which elements of each political system harm Sham's character?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)