|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Agba speak to the Sultan?
2. What is the meaning of the Arabic name Sham?
3. Why is the Sultan pleased with Agba's silence?
4. What do the stable boys do aboard the ship bound for France?
5. Which country does Man o' War represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
2. Why is Sham sent to France?
3. How do Signor Achmet's prophecies contradict each other?
4. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
5. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
6. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
7. Why is a wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
8. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
9. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
10. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)