|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
2. Who does Sham allow to hold the reins when he pulls a carriage?
3. Where does Agba fall asleep at the end of Chapter 2?
4. How does Agba's society explain unusual occurrences?
5. How many horses does the Sultan own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Agba convince Signor Achmet that the foal is not unlucky?
2. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
3. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
4. Describe Agba.
5. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
6. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
7. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
8. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
9. Why is a wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
10. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does pedigree play in Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's careers? How important is a pedigree to each horse? How does each horse prove its pedigree?
Essay Topic 2
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)