|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Sultan pleased with Agba's silence?
2. Why doesn't Agba eat with the other stable boys?
3. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
4. Why does the camel driver help Agba?
5. In Chapter 1, why does no one at the palace eat during the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
2. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
3. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
4. Why doesn't Agba break his fast with the other stable boys?
5. How do Agba and Sham prepare for the journey to France?
6. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
7. Why is Sham sent to France?
8. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
9. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
10. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the concepts of obedience and rebellion affect the characters in the novel. What role does culture play in obedience in the novel? How does rebellious behavior affect the characters in the novel? What changes in Sham and Agba's behavior can be attributed to rebellion?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
Essay Topic 3
What role does language play in Agba's life? What advantages and disadvantages does Agba experience due to his inability to speak? How does the change in language that Agba experiences as he travels from country to country affect his character as well as Sham's character?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)