|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take for Signor Achmet, the horses, and the stable boys to sail to France?
2. What does the Sultan give each horse?
3. What does Man 'o War's owner want to do with the horse?
4. What does the King decide to do with the Moroccan horses?
5. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
2. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
3. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
4. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
5. How does Agba prepare for his audience with the Sultan?
6. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
7. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
8. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
9. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
10. How is Sham different from the other colts in the stable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship Agba has with animals in the novel. How do his relationships with the animals in the novel affect his character? Why are these relationships important to Agba and how do they provide fulfillment for his character?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religious tradition and Eastern culture play in the novel? How do religious traditions affect the characters in the novel? How does Sham's separation from Eastern culture affect his character? How does the same separation affect Agba's character?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)