|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Agba make to the foal?
2. What does the camel driver give Agba?
3. Why doesn't the French King's adviser want to see the horses from Morocco?
4. What mark does Agba notice on the new foal?
5. Which horse wins the race in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
2. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
3. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
4. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
5. How does Agba's disability save his life?
6. What special treatment does Hobgoblin receive at the Gog Magog stables?
7. How does the Earl of Godolphin punish Agba?
8. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
9. How do Agba and Mr. Twickerham's opinions of Sham differ?
10. How does Agba survive alone on the streets of Paris?
Essay Topic 1
How does ownership affect Man 'o War's (Big Red) and Sham's characters? Discuss how the treatment of each of these horse's owners affects the horses' health, spirit, and success. Could Agba ever be considered an "owner"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)