Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sham fitted for in Chapter 8?
2. What animal does the mare once outrun?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
4. Why does the cook sell Sham?
5. What command does Signor Achmet give Agba in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
2. How does the Sultan anger Agba in Chapter 1?
3. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
4. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
5. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
6. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
7. How does Agba anger the Earl of Godolphin?
8. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
9. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
10. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
Essay Topic 1
What role do signs and superstitions play in the novel? How do signs and superstitions affect Sham's character? How do signs and superstitions influence the actions of other characters? If this one element of the book had been omitted, how might Sham's life have been different?
Essay Topic 2
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 3
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)