|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King decide to do with the Moroccan horses?
2. Where are the horses racing in the Prologue?
3. How do the other colts in the stables treat Sham?
4. What does the camel driver give Agba?
5. Why does Agba stay close to the mare in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Agba treated while in prison?
2. Describe the foal born in Chapter 3.
3. What happens to Sham's pedigree while Agba is in prison?
4. Why is Agba afraid to be alone in prison?
5. What happens when Mrs. Williams separates Agba and Sham?
6. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
7. How do Sham and Agba escape from the carter?
8. How does Agba's disability save his life?
9. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
10. How does Agba feel about Sham not being allowed to race at Newmarket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does politics play in Sham's survival? Describe how Sham's life is affected by Moroccan, French, and English politics. Which elements of each political system benefit Sham's character? Which elements of each political system harm Sham's character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Sultan and the Earl of Godolphin. What motivates each character? Describe how their similarities and differences affect the characters they rule. How do these two characters affect Sham's life?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)