|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Sultan test a new saber?
2. Why doesn't Man 'o War's owner want him to race at Newmarket?
3. Which country does Sir Barton represent?
4. What do the two signs on the foal signify?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Agba look for outside the palace walls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
2. How does Agba's disability save his life?
3. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
4. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
5. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
6. What is the significance of the new moon?
7. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
8. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
9. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
10. What special treatment does Agba give the pregnant mare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use the element of suspense in the novel? How does the author build up suspense? If the element of suspense had not been used so frequently, how would the flow of the novel have been affected, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What role does language play in Agba's life? What advantages and disadvantages does Agba experience due to his inability to speak? How does the change in language that Agba experiences as he travels from country to country affect his character as well as Sham's character?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)