|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agba measure Sham in Chapter 8?
2. What does Agba see the mare doing when he wakes in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Signor Achmet go in Chapter 11?
4. Who owns the horses that Agba tends?
5. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
2. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
3. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
4. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
5. How does Agba become the foal's "father"?
6. Describe Agba.
7. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
8. Why doesn't Agba report the foal's birth to Signor Achmet?
9. What is the significance of the new moon?
10. Why do Mr. Riddle's friends want him to send Big Red to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sham prove himself to be the "King of the Wind"? What type of title is this and how does he earn it? Which character or characters feel this title is important, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how different characters throughout the novel view Sham's potential as a racehorse. What factors influence the perception of Sham's potential? Which characters are able to discern Sham's true potential, and why?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)