|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Agba pack for his journey?
2. How many horses does the Sultan own?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Signor Achmet give Agba before he leaves?
4. Why does Agba train Sham to run longer?
5. Why is Agba startled by Signor Achmet's appearance in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Agba summoned to see the Sultan?
2. What is the significance of the new moon?
3. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
4. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
5. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
6. Why doesn't Agba break his fast with the other stable boys?
7. Why is Sham sent to France?
8. What does Sham do when the Chief Cook takes him to the market?
9. How do Signor Achmet's prophecies contradict each other?
10. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does deception affect the characters in the novel? Which characters are deceptive and how do their actions affect Agba and Sham? Why do these characters choose to be deceptive and how do Agba and Sham rise above the circumstances that result from deception?
Essay Topic 2
What role do signs and superstitions play in the novel? How do signs and superstitions affect Sham's character? How do signs and superstitions influence the actions of other characters? If this one element of the book had been omitted, how might Sham's life have been different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Signor Achmet's character changes from Morocco to France. What roles does he hold in each country and how does his station in life change between the two? What factors cause such a drastic change in his character? How does Agba's perception of Signor Achmet change as they travel from Morocco to France?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)