|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sham allow to hold the reins when he pulls a carriage?
(a) No one.
(c) Signor Achmet.
(d) The Chief Cook.
2. In Chapter 1, why does no one at the palace eat during the day?
(a) They are fasting because it is Ramadan.
(b) They are busy preparing for the Sultan's arrival.
(c) They are in mourning.
(d) The Sultan does not give his slaves much food.
3. Who tells Agba he must appear before the Sultan?
(a) The Chief Guard.
(b) The Sultan's second wife.
(c) Another stable boy.
(d) Signor Achmet.
4. Who is Signor Achmet?
(a) The Sultan's Chief of the Guards.
(b) The Sultan's Chief Chef.
(c) Agba's uncle.
(d) The Sultan's Chief of the Grooms.
5. Who leads the procession to the city limits in Chapter 9?
(b) Signor Achmet.
(c) The Sultan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the mare eat the corn Agba brings her in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Agba fall asleep at the end of Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Agba see when he awakens?
4. When does the foal begin to nurse from the mare?
5. Why doesn't Agba immediately tell anyone about the foal's birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the white spot on the foal's heel?
2. How does Big Red win the race in Kenilworth Park against Sir Barton?
3. How does Agba's disability save his life?
4. What is the Duke's reaction to the Sultan's gift when the horses and their stable boys arrive in France?
5. Why does Mr. Riddle decide to retire Big Red?
6. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
7. Why doesn't Agba break his fast with the other stable boys?
8. How does the captain of the ship deceive the Sultan?
9. What is the significance of the new moon?
10. Why is Sham sent to France?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)