|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the foal begin to nurse from the mare?
(a) After a few failed attempts to stand.
(b) He never nurses from his mother.
(c) Almost immediately.
(d) The next morning.
2. In Chapter 1, why does no one at the palace eat during the day?
(a) The Sultan does not give his slaves much food.
(b) They are busy preparing for the Sultan's arrival.
(c) They are in mourning.
(d) They are fasting because it is Ramadan.
3. Who supposedly makes the wind transform into the mare?
(b) Aladdin's lamp.
(c) A genie.
(d) The Jinn.
4. Where does the cook sell Sham?
(a) At the docks.
(b) Behind the royal stables.
(c) In the market square.
(d) At the Thieves' Kitchen.
5. What animal does the mare once outrun?
(a) A leopard.
(b) A camel.
(c) A cheetah.
(d) A gazelle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the mare described as being like the wind?
2. Why doesn't Agba speak to the Sultan?
3. What does the King decide to do with the Moroccan horses?
4. Where are the horses racing in the Prologue?
5. What happens to the mare in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the omen Signor Achmet discovers on the foal.
2. Why is a wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
3. How does the old man in Chapter 2 describe the mare?
4. How does the Chief Cook rid himself of Sham?
5. Describe the gifts the Sultan gives the horses before they leave for France.
6. What does King Louis XV decide to do with the Sultan's gift?
7. Why is Sham sent to France?
8. Why doesn't the mare eat her corn?
9. How does Agba find nourishment for the orphaned foal?
10. How does Agba help the mare prepare for delivery?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)