|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is desirable about Sham's neck?
(a) It is short and stocky, indicating strength.
(b) It is long and stretches nicely when he is running.
(c) It arches well.
(d) His good luck mark can be seen when he is running.
2. What does the Sultan give each horse?
(a) A kiss.
(b) A new blanket emblazoned with the royal crest.
(c) A new saddle.
(d) A bag.
3. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
(a) The Sultan might have sold him.
(b) He cannot find the mare.
(c) He is afraid he will die.
(d) He knows he is guilty.
4. Why does Agba stay close to the mare in Chapter 2?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) He is lonely and has nowhere else to go.
(c) The Sultan ordered him to stay near his horses.
(d) The stables are warmer than his shack.
5. What information does the scribe include in the Sultan's letter?
(a) The stable boys are to return to Morocco when their horses die.
(b) The price of the horses and their boys is not negotiable.
(c) The horses are to return to Morocco after 20 years.
(d) The Sultan will wage war on anyone who steals a horse.
6. What does the new moon represent to Agba?
(a) A favorable sign for the mare's unborn foal.
(b) The beginning of a new life.
(c) A bad omen for the mare's unborn foal.
(d) A chance to escape the Sultan.
7. What does Signor Achmet announce in Chapter 8?
(a) Agba has been sold.
(b) Sham will be going to England.
(c) Sham will be going to France.
(d) Sham has been sold.
8. What promise does Agba make to the foal?
(a) To be his father and care for him.
(b) To avenge his mother's death.
(c) To buy him back.
(d) To search for a new mare.
9. Why is the wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
(a) He is the Sultan's pet.
(b) To warn against intruders.
(c) For food.
(d) To keep evil spirits away from the horses.
10. Why does Agba train Sham to run longer?
(a) To prepare him for the race.
(b) So he will fetch the highest price at the market.
(c) To prepare him for the long journey.
(d) Because Signor Achmet tells him to do so.
11. What do the two signs on the foal signify?
(a) The foal is destined to be a great racehorse.
(b) The foal will experience both good and bad luck.
(c) The foal will die shortly after birth.
(d) The foal will bless the stables with his presence.
12. Where are the horses racing in the Prologue?
(c) Kenilworth Park.
(d) Gog Magogg.
13. Why does Agba measure Sham in Chapter 8?
(a) To compare him to other horses in the Sultan's stable.
(b) For a new blanket.
(c) To make sure his new stall is large enough.
(d) For a new saddle.
14. What does Man 'o War's owner want to do with the horse?
(a) Destroy him.
(b) Sell him.
(c) Allow him to run one more race.
(d) Retire him.
15. What aspect of the foal does Agba point out to Signor Achmet?
(a) His long neck.
(b) The white spot on his heel.
(c) His long legs.
(d) His healthy coat and active behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Signor Achmet react to the boar's squeal in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Agba give the mare special treatment?
3. What does the Duke advise the King to do with the Moroccan horses?
4. Who tells Agba he must appear before the Sultan?
5. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)