|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, how does Agba prepare a bed for the mare?
(a) He piles straw and leaves on the floor of the stable.
(b) He places an old blanket over a generous pile of hay.
(c) He pours buckets of sand on the floor and covers the sand with hay.
(d) He sweeps the floor clean and lays down a fresh blanket.
2. Why does the Sultan want Signor Achmet to select six horses and six horse boys?
(a) To sell.
(b) To test his new saber.
(c) To race.
(d) To send as a gift to the new King of France.
3. In Chapter 1, how many horses does Agba care for?
4. Which horse is Man o' War racing?
(a) Sir Barton.
(b) Big Red.
(d) Sir Riddle.
5. Why doesn't the mare eat the corn Agba brings her in Chapter 2?
(a) She is a picky eater.
(b) The corn is spoiled.
(c) She is too tired.
(d) Another horse steals the corn.
6. Where is Sham sent in Chapter 11?
(a) To Spain.
(b) To Morocco.
(c) To the royal stables.
(d) To the army.
7. Why is the mare described as being like the wind?
(a) The wind is fierce.
(b) She is fast.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) The wind cannot be tamed.
8. Why doesn't Signor Achmet think the mare's milk will be of use to the foal?
(a) The mare is weak and will die soon.
(b) The foal will be sent to another stable the next day.
(c) He believes that sweetened camel's milk is better.
(d) The foal is too weak to nurse.
9. Where does Agba fall asleep at the end of Chapter 2?
(a) In the straw.
(b) On a table.
(c) In his cot.
(d) Outside the stables.
10. How does Agba's society explain unusual occurrences?
(a) With reason and logic.
(b) Through signs and superstitions.
(c) By consulting the elders.
(d) Through scientific observation.
11. Why doesn't the French King's adviser want to see the horses from Morocco?
(a) He is busy with important affairs of state.
(b) He is afraid of horses.
(c) He dislikes the odor of the stables.
(d) The King of France already has a hundred horses in his stables.
12. What has the captain of the ship put inside the horses' feed sacks?
13. What information does the scribe include in the Sultan's letter?
(a) The Sultan will wage war on anyone who steals a horse.
(b) The stable boys are to return to Morocco when their horses die.
(c) The horses are to return to Morocco after 20 years.
(d) The price of the horses and their boys is not negotiable.
14. Who is Agba supposed to alert about the foal's birth?
(a) The stable boys.
(c) Signor Achmet.
(d) The Sultan.
15. What must Agba do before he can approach the Sultan?
(a) Shave his head and bathe.
(b) Pray and present an offering.
(c) Locate the mare.
(d) Clean Sham's stall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Agba make to the foal?
2. What does the Sultan give each horse?
3. Why is Agba startled by Signor Achmet's appearance in Chapter 4?
4. Where does Signor Achmet go in Chapter 11?
5. Why is the wild boar kept behind the Sultan's stables?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)