|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Agba train Sham to run longer?
(a) So he will fetch the highest price at the market.
(b) To prepare him for the long journey.
(c) To prepare him for the race.
(d) Because Signor Achmet tells him to do so.
2. Why doesn't the mare eat the corn Agba brings her in Chapter 2?
(a) Another horse steals the corn.
(b) She is too tired.
(c) The corn is spoiled.
(d) She is a picky eater.
3. Which horse is Man o' War racing?
(a) Sir Barton.
(b) Sir Riddle.
(d) Big Red.
4. What does the new moon represent to Agba?
(a) A chance to escape the Sultan.
(b) A bad omen for the mare's unborn foal.
(c) A favorable sign for the mare's unborn foal.
(d) The beginning of a new life.
5. Which country does Man o' War represent?
6. What is Man 'o War's nickname?
(a) Big Red.
(b) Sir Riddle.
(c) Sir Barton.
7. Why does Agba stay close to the mare in Chapter 2?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) He is lonely and has nowhere else to go.
(c) The stables are warmer than his shack.
(d) The Sultan ordered him to stay near his horses.
8. How many horses does the Sultan own?
(a) Twelve thousand.
(b) Twenty Thousand.
(c) Twelve hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
9. What has the captain of the ship put inside the horses' feed sacks?
10. What do the stable boys do aboard the ship bound for France?
(a) Sit below the deck.
(b) Pray for their horses.
(c) Tend their horses.
(d) Man the heavy sails on stormy seas.
11. What natural skill does Sham possess?
(a) He knows what Sham is thinking.
(b) He can jump higher than all the other horses.
(c) He can escape any stall.
(d) He can outrun all the other horses.
12. What unusual command does the Sultan give in Chapter 1?
(a) Most of his horses will be sacrificed.
(b) The horses must also fast for Ramadan.
(c) Most of his horses will be sold.
(d) The slaves must now grow their own food.
13. Why is Agba afraid to appear before the Sultan?
(a) The Sultan might have sold him.
(b) He cannot find the mare.
(c) He knows he is guilty.
(d) He is afraid he will die.
14. Which country does Sir Barton represent?
15. Who tells Agba that the mare is made of wind?
(a) An old woman.
(b) An old man.
(c) The Sultan.
(d) Signor Achmet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the mare once outrun?
2. What must Agba do before he can approach the Sultan?
3. Who is Signor Achmet?
4. What prophecy does Signor Achmet make in Chapter 5?
5. How does Signor Achmet react to the boar's squeal in Chapter 4?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)