|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
2. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
3. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
4. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
5. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
2. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
3. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
4. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
5. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
6. What was Elder Dempster?
7. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
8. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
9. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
10. What was the Casement Report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Rom? What does he symbolize for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the book?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)