|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
2. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
3. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
4. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
5. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
3. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
4. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
5. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
6. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
9. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
10. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author focus on Caroline, Leopold's mistress? What does this say about Leopold's character?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)