|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
2. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
3. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
4. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
5. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
2. What was the Casement Report?
3. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
4. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
5. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
6. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
7. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
8. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
9. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
10. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author focus on Caroline, Leopold's mistress? What does this say about Leopold's character?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)