|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
2. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
3. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
4. What is the title of Chapter 15?
5. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
2. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
3. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
4. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
5. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
6. What was Elder Dempster?
7. What was the Casement Report?
8. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
9. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
10. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
Essay Topic 3
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)