|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
2. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
3. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
4. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
5. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
2. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
3. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
4. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
5. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
6. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
7. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
8. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
9. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
10. What was Elder Dempster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the reasons King Leopold II did not outright colonize the Congo? How did this affect his decisions in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
How did King Leopold II have two personalities? What were they? Who saw each side of his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)