|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
2. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
3. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
4. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
5. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Those who colonized the Congo, such as King Leopold, did so in the name of progress, humanity, and Christianity. Were their actions hypocritical? How? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)