|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
2. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
3. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
4. What work did Casement do in Africa?
5. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
2. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
3. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
4. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
5. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
6. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
7. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
8. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
9. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
10. What was the Casement Report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)