|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
2. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
3. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
4. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
5. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
2. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
3. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
4. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
5. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
6. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
7. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
8. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
9. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
10. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)