|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
2. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
3. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
4. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
5. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
2. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
3. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
4. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
5. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
6. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
7. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
8. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
9. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
10. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
Essay Topic 3
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)