|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
2. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
3. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
4. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
5. How did Shanu die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Casement Report?
2. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
3. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
4. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
5. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
6. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
7. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
8. What was Elder Dempster?
9. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
10. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 2
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 3
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)