|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
2. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
3. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
4. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
5. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Casement Report?
2. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
3. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
4. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
5. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
6. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
7. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
8. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
9. What was Elder Dempster?
10. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 2
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
Essay Topic 3
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)