|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
2. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
3. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
4. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
5. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
2. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
3. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
4. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
5. What was the Casement Report?
6. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
7. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
8. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
9. What was Elder Dempster?
10. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)