|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
2. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
3. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
4. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
5. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
2. What was Elder Dempster?
3. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
4. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
5. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
6. What was the Casement Report?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
9. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
10. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)