|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
2. How did Shanu die?
3. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
4. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
5. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
2. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
3. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
4. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
5. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
6. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
7. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
8. What was the Casement Report?
9. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
10. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
Essay Topic 2
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)