|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
2. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
3. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
4. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
5. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
2. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
3. What was Elder Dempster?
4. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
5. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
6. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
7. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
8. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
9. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
10. What was the Casement Report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
Essay Topic 2
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)