|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
2. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
3. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
4. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
5. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
2. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
3. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
4. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
5. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
6. What was the Casement Report?
7. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
8. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
9. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
10. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 2
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)