|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
2. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
3. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
4. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
5. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
2. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
3. What was the Casement Report?
4. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
5. What was Elder Dempster?
6. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
9. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
10. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Those who colonized the Congo, such as King Leopold, did so in the name of progress, humanity, and Christianity. Were their actions hypocritical? How? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)