|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
2. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
3. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
4. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
5. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
2. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
3. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
4. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
5. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
6. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
7. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
8. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
9. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
10. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Rom? What does he symbolize for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 3
How did King Leopold II have two personalities? What were they? Who saw each side of his personality?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)