|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
2. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
3. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
4. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
5. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elder Dempster?
2. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
3. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
4. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
5. What was the Casement Report?
6. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
9. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
10. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
Essay Topic 3
Those who colonized the Congo, such as King Leopold, did so in the name of progress, humanity, and Christianity. Were their actions hypocritical? How? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)