|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
2. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
3. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
4. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
5. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
2. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
3. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
4. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
5. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
6. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
9. What was Elder Dempster?
10. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
How did King Leopold II have two personalities? What were they? Who saw each side of his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)