|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
2. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
3. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
4. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
5. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
2. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
3. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
4. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
5. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
6. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
7. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
8. What was Elder Dempster?
9. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
10. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of Part I? Why would the chapters in Part I be grouped together?
Essay Topic 2
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 3
What were the reasons King Leopold II did not outright colonize the Congo? How did this affect his decisions in Europe?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)