|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
2. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
3. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
4. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
5. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
3. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
4. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
5. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
6. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
7. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
8. What was Elder Dempster?
9. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
10. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 3
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)