|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
2. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
3. What was Casement, in his youth?
4. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
5. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
2. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
3. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
4. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
5. What was Elder Dempster?
6. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
7. What was the Casement Report?
8. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
9. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
10. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 3
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)