|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
2. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
5. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did things change in the Congo?
2. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
3. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
4. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
5. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
6. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
7. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
8. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
9. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
10. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of Part I? Why would the chapters in Part I be grouped together?
Essay Topic 3
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)