|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
2. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
3. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
4. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
5. What year was the Force Publique established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
2. What was ivory used for in Europe?
3. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
4. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
5. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. How does Hochschild begin the book?
8. When did things change in the Congo?
9. Describe Joseph Conrad.
10. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author focus on Caroline, Leopold's mistress? What does this say about Leopold's character?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)