|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
2. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
3. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
4. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
5. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
2. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
3. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
4. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
5. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
6. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
7. What happened to Casement after he traveled to Germany during World War I?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
10. When did things change in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 2
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
Essay Topic 3
What were the reasons King Leopold II did not outright colonize the Congo? How did this affect his decisions in Europe?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)