|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
2. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
3. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
4. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joseph Conrad.
2. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
3. How does Hochschild begin the book?
4. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
5. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
6. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
7. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
8. What does the text end with?
9. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
10. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
Essay Topic 1
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)