|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
2. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
3. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
4. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
2. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
3. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
4. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
5. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
6. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
7. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
8. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
9. When did things change in the Congo?
10. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of Part I? Why would the chapters in Part I be grouped together?
Essay Topic 2
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)