|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
2. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
3. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
4. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
5. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
2. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
3. When did things change in the Congo?
4. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
5. Describe Joseph Conrad.
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. How does Hochschild begin the book?
8. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
9. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
10. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
Essay Topic 3
The book ends with a summary of Congo's independence movement and current conditions. How does the history of the Congo influence these events?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)