|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
2. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
5. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
2. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
3. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
4. When did things change in the Congo?
5. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
6. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
7. What was ivory used for in Europe?
8. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
9. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
10. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)