|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
2. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
3. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
4. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
5. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
2. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
3. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
4. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
5. Describe Joseph Conrad.
6. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
7. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
8. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
9. What was ivory used for in Europe?
10. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of Part I? Why would the chapters in Part I be grouped together?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)