|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
2. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
3. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
4. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
5. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
2. How did Marchal view Leopold's distant colony, before he began researching the history of Leopold and the Congo?
3. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
4. How did Marchal become interested in the truth behind Leopold and the Congo?
5. What happened in the Congo after the transfer of administration to the Belgian Parliament?
6. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
7. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
10. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the book?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)