|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
2. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
3. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
4. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
5. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
2. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
3. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
4. Describe Joseph Conrad.
5. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
6. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
7. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
8. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
9. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
10. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of Part I? Why would the chapters in Part I be grouped together?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rom? What does he symbolize for the Congo?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)