|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
2. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
3. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
4. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
5. What year was the Force Publique established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
2. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
3. When did things change in the Congo?
4. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
5. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
6. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
7. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
8. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
9. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
10. Describe Joseph Conrad.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
Essay Topic 3
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)