|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
2. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
3. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
4. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
5. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
2. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
3. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
4. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
5. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
6. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
7. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
8. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
9. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
10. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
Those who colonized the Congo, such as King Leopold, did so in the name of progress, humanity, and Christianity. Were their actions hypocritical? How? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)