|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
2. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
3. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
4. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
5. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
2. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
3. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
4. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
5. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
6. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
7. When did things change in the Congo?
8. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
9. What was ivory used for in Europe?
10. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Morel? How did he turn the tide for the Congo?
Essay Topic 3
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)