|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
2. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
3. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
4. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
5. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
2. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
3. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
4. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
5. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
6. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
7. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
8. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
9. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
10. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
Essay Topic 2
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author focus on Caroline, Leopold's mistress? What does this say about Leopold's character?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)