|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
2. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
3. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
4. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
3. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
4. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
5. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
6. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
7. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
10. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
Essay Topic 3
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)