|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Stanley born?
2. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
3. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
4. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
5. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
2. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
3. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
4. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
5. What was Elder Dempster?
6. What was ivory used for in Europe?
7. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
8. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
9. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
10. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
Essay Topic 1
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)