|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
2. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
3. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
4. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
5. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
2. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
3. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
4. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
5. What was ivory used for in Europe?
6. Describe Joseph Conrad.
7. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
10. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the reasons King Leopold II did not outright colonize the Congo? How did this affect his decisions in Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rom? What does he symbolize for the Congo?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)