|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
2. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
3. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
4. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
5. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
2. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
3. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
4. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
5. What was ivory used for in Europe?
6. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
7. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
8. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
9. Describe Joseph Conrad.
10. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
Essay Topic 3
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)