|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
2. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
3. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
4. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
5. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
2. Describe Joseph Conrad.
3. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
4. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
5. When did things change in the Congo?
6. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
7. How does Hochschild begin the book?
8. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
9. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
10. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 2
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the book?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)