|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
2. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
3. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
4. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
5. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
2. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
3. How does Hochschild begin the book?
4. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
5. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
8. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
9. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
10. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Henry M. Stanley? What was his importance to King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 2
Why was George Williams called the "first heretic?" Is this an accurate title for him? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)