|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
2. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
3. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
4. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
5. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
2. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
3. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
4. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
5. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
6. Describe Joseph Conrad.
7. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
8. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
9. When did things change in the Congo?
10. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
Essay Topic 1
What does the tiger symbolize in the song on page 139? What would be the alternative symbolization if the word were lion?
Essay Topic 2
Those who colonized the Congo, such as King Leopold, did so in the name of progress, humanity, and Christianity. Were their actions hypocritical? How? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How is the title of Part II, "A King at Bay" appropriate, or not, for the second part of the book?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)