|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
2. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
3. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
4. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
5. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
2. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
3. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
4. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
5. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
6. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
7. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
8. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
9. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
10. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author focus on Caroline, Leopold's mistress? What does this say about Leopold's character?
Essay Topic 2
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there a focus on so many biographies in the last few chapters?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)