|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
2. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
3. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
4. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
5. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
3. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
4. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
5. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
6. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
7. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
8. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
9. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
10. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Rom? What does he symbolize for the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
What is genocide? How did Stanley's actions construct the underpinnings of genocide?
Essay Topic 3
How was Conrad's novel, "The Heart of Darkness," based in fact? How was it autobiographical?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)