|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
2. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
3. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
4. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
5. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
2. Describe Joseph Conrad.
3. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
4. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
5. When did things change in the Congo?
6. How does Hochschild begin the book?
7. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
8. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
9. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
10. What was ivory used for in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the Congo's situation not change after King Leopold II sold it to Belgium? What does that say about the interest of the international community in Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Who influenced the American government to support King Leopold II's claim to the Congo? Why did America support the request?
Essay Topic 3
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)