|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
2. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
3. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
4. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
5. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
2. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
3. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
4. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
5. Describe Joseph Conrad.
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. How does Hochschild begin the book?
8. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
9. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
10. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the abuses and atrocities in the Congo brought to international attention? Who was involved and how did they succeed? Why did more people not complain?
Essay Topic 2
How is Rudyard Kipling's quote, "Where there aren't no 10 Commandments, an' a man can raise a thirst," an accurate description of the Congo under King Leopold II?
Essay Topic 3
How did King Leopold II have two personalities? What were they? Who saw each side of his personality?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)