|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To write short stories.
(b) To publish carefully written articles.
(c) To advertise his riches.
(d) To publish articles about ivory.
2. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
3. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) The Score.
(b) A Tally.
(c) A Reckoning.
(d) A Settlement.
4. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
5. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The animals.
(b) The women and children.
(c) The medicine and fuel.
(d) The tools and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
2. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
3. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
4. What work did Casement do in Africa?
5. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
2. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
3. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
4. What was Elder Dempster?
5. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
6. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
7. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
8. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
9. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
10. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)