|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
2. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His kingdom.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His treasury.
3. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
4. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
(a) Three lawyers.
(b) Three independent inspectors.
(c) Three cronies of Leopold.
(d) Three British citizens.
5. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
2. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
3. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
4. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
5. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
2. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
3. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
4. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
5. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
6. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
7. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
8. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
9. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
10. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)