|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The Belgian Prime Minister.
(c) The newspaper editors.
2. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
3. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 10 million.
(b) 11 million.
(c) 9 million.
(d) 13 million.
4. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
(b) Carrie Ann.
5. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their advertising.
(b) Their circulation.
(c) Their content.
(d) Their news.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
2. What was Casement, in his youth?
3. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
4. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
5. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
2. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
3. What was Elder Dempster?
4. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
5. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
6. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
7. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
8. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
9. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
10. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)