|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Rubber harvesters.
(b) Mine workers.
(c) Riverboat crews.
(d) Force Publique.
2. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The tools and food.
(b) The women and children.
(c) The medicine and fuel.
(d) The animals.
3. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
4. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(b) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(c) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
(d) Illustrated weekly magazine.
5. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba city.
(b) Kuba capital.
(c) Kuba ritual grounds.
(d) Kuba hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
2. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
3. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
4. What was Casement, in his youth?
5. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
2. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
3. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
4. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
5. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
6. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
7. What was the Casement Report?
8. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
9. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
10. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)