|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
2. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The newspaper editors.
(d) The Belgian Prime Minister.
3. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
4. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
(a) Humanitarian publishing.
(b) Humanitarian need organizations.
(c) Humanitarian donations.
(d) Humanitarian missionaries.
5. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
(a) Slave labor.
(b) Foreign investment.
(c) Leopold's investment.
(d) Missionary money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
2. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
3. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
4. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
5. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
2. What was Elder Dempster?
3. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
4. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
5. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
6. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
9. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
10. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)