|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Widespread slavery.
(b) Theft of resources.
(c) Death threats.
(d) Willing workers.
2. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
3. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba capital.
(b) Kuba ritual grounds.
(c) Kuba hospital.
(d) Kuba city.
4. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
5. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1925.
(b) 1880 to 1913.
(c) 1880 to 1920.
(d) 1880 to 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
2. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
3. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
4. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
5. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elder Dempster?
2. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
3. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
4. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
5. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
6. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
7. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
8. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
9. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
10. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)