|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His kingdom.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His treasury.
2. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A sad and poor country.
(b) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(c) A paradise.
(d) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
3. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black helpful man.
(b) The scary black man.
(c) The black Englishman.
(d) The black white man.
4. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 9 million.
(c) 11 million.
(d) 10 million.
5. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
2. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
3. What was Casement, in his youth?
4. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
5. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
3. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
4. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
5. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
6. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
7. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
8. What was Elder Dempster?
9. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
10. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)