|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
2. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba city.
(b) Kuba ritual grounds.
(c) Kuba hospital.
(d) Kuba capital.
3. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
(a) Humanitarian publishing.
(b) Humanitarian need organizations.
(c) Humanitarian missionaries.
(d) Humanitarian donations.
4. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
5. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1925.
(b) 1880 to 1920.
(c) 1880 to 1913.
(d) 1880 to 1918.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 15?
2. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
3. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
4. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
5. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
2. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
3. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
4. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
5. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
6. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
9. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
10. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)