|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
(a) Dock hand.
(b) Freight manager.
(c) Ship captain.
2. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
3. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
4. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) A Settlement.
(b) A Tally.
(c) The Score.
(d) A Reckoning.
5. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(b) His boss.
(c) Elder Dempster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Casement do in Africa?
2. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
3. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
4. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
5. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
2. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
3. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
4. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
5. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
6. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
7. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
8. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
9. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
10. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)