|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His kingdom.
(c) His treasury.
(d) His marriage.
2. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
3. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish carefully written articles.
(b) To advertise his riches.
(c) To write short stories.
(d) To publish articles about ivory.
4. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(b) Elder Dempster.
(c) His boss.
5. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
(a) An editorial.
(b) A denial.
(c) A summary.
(d) A supporting statement.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
2. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
3. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
4. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
5. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
2. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
3. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
4. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
5. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
6. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
7. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
8. What was the Casement Report?
9. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
10. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)