|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) An honest report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) A detailed report.
(d) A whitewashed report.
2. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(a) Severely shortened.
3. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) A foot was severed.
(b) An arm was severed.
(c) A hand was severed.
(d) A leg was severed.
4. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
5. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Tap the vines.
(b) Trim the vines.
(c) Skin the vines.
(d) Cut the vines.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
2. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
3. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
4. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
5. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
2. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
3. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
4. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
5. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
6. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
7. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
8. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
9. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
10. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)