|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
2. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Trim the vines.
(b) Skin the vines.
(c) Cut the vines.
(d) Tap the vines.
3. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
4. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
(b) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(c) Illustrated weekly magazine.
(d) Illustrated weekly postcard.
5. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
2. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
3. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
4. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
5. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
2. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
3. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
4. What was Elder Dempster?
5. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
6. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
7. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
8. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
9. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
10. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)