|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
2. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
3. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) An arm was severed.
(b) A hand was severed.
(c) A leg was severed.
(d) A foot was severed.
4. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To advertise his riches.
(b) To publish carefully written articles.
(c) To write short stories.
(d) To publish articles about ivory.
5. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
2. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
3. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
4. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
5. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
2. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
3. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
4. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
5. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
6. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
7. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
8. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
9. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
10. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)