|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
2. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The newspaper editors.
(c) The Belgian Prime Minister.
3. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
4. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
5. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish carefully written articles.
(b) To write short stories.
(c) To advertise his riches.
(d) To publish articles about ivory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
2. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
3. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
4. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
5. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
2. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
3. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
4. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
5. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
6. What was Elder Dempster?
7. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
8. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
9. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
10. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)