|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His treasury.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His kingdom.
(d) His reputation.
2. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba hospital.
(b) Kuba ritual grounds.
(c) Kuba city.
(d) Kuba capital.
3. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
(a) Loading summary.
(b) Dock sheet.
4. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
5. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
2. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
3. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
4. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
5. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
3. What was Elder Dempster?
4. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
5. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
6. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
7. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
8. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
9. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
10. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)