|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) A favorable report.
(b) A whitewashed report.
(c) An honest report.
(d) A detailed report.
2. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(b) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
(c) Carry slaves to Belgium.
(d) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
3. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish carefully written articles.
(b) To write short stories.
(c) To publish articles about ivory.
(d) To advertise his riches.
4. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
5. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) British nationalist.
(b) Celtic nationalist.
(c) Irish nationalist.
(d) Scottish nationalist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
2. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
3. Who is Dorothy Tennant?
4. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
5. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
3. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
4. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
5. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
6. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
7. What was the Casement Report?
8. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
9. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
10. What did Sheppard do because of his travels around the Congo?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)