|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(c) His boss.
(d) Elder Dempster.
2. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
3. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) An honest report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) A detailed report.
(d) A whitewashed report.
4. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
5. What work did Casement do in Africa?
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
2. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
3. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
4. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
5. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shanu do after he became disillusioned with Leopold's regime in the Congo?
2. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
3. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
4. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
5. What was Elder Dempster?
6. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
7. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
8. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
9. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
10. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)