|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
(b) Private palaces.
2. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
(a) U.S. Senate.
(b) British Parliament.
(c) German Council.
(d) Belgian Parliament.
3. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A sad and poor country.
(b) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
(c) A paradise.
(d) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
4. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
(b) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(c) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(d) Illustrated weekly magazine.
5. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(c) The Belgian Prime Minister.
(d) The newspaper editors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
2. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
3. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
4. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
5. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
2. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
3. What was the Casement Report?
4. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
5. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
6. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
7. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
8. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
9. What did Stanley do after he gave up adventuring?
10. What did the official Commission of Inquiry do?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)