|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
2. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His treasury.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His kingdom.
(d) His reputation.
3. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
4. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 10 million.
(b) 9 million.
(c) 13 million.
(d) 11 million.
5. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A paradise.
(b) A sad and poor country.
(c) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
(d) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
2. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
3. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
4. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
5. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Elder Dempster?
2. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
3. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
4. What happened if the men of the village took too long to fulfill their quota of rubber demanded of them?
5. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
6. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
7. How did Leopold promote his image of a kindly humanitarian throughout Europe?
8. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
9. What is the implication of Morel's epiphany at the end of Part I?
10. What was the Casement Report?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)