|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Processed ivory.
(b) Elephant tusks.
(c) Ivory rocks.
(d) Balls of ivory.
2. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
3. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) American Revolutionary War.
(c) American Civil War.
(d) War of 1812.
4. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
5. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
2. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
3. What year was the Force Publique established?
4. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
5. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
2. Describe Joseph Conrad.
3. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
4. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
5. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
6. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
7. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
8. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
9. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
10. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)