|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
2. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(b) A few.
(c) A lot.
(d) As many as could get there.
4. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A dozen.
(b) At least ten.
(c) One or two.
(d) A few.
5. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Large caliber rifles.
(b) Breech-loading rifles.
(c) Boar-shot rifles.
(d) Side-winding rifles.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
2. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
3. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
4. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
5. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
2. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
3. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
4. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
5. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
6. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
7. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
8. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
9. How does Hochschild begin the book?
10. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)