|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
2. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A dozen.
(b) One or two.
(c) At least ten.
(d) A few.
3. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Indian Ocean route.
(b) Atlantic Ocean route.
(c) Pacific Ocean route.
(d) Mediterranean Ocean route.
4. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
5. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
2. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
3. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
4. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
5. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
2. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
3. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
4. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
5. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
6. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
7. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
8. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
9. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
10. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)