|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
2. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
(a) Portage officer.
(b) Cargo officer.
(c) Paddleboat officer.
(d) Riverboat officer.
3. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
4. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) African and European languages.
(b) African languages.
(d) European languages.
5. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A wife and children.
(b) A mother and wife.
(c) A father and his children.
(d) A wife and a mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
2. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
3. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
4. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
2. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
3. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
4. Describe Joseph Conrad.
5. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. What was ivory used for in Europe?
8. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
9. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
10. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)