Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
2. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
(b) Sail boats.
(c) Row boats.
(d) Coal boats.
3. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) They were immediately accessible.
(b) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
(c) They had more riches.
(d) The local people were friendlier.
4. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Belgian Congo.
(b) Congo Free State.
(c) Republic of Congo.
(d) Free Congo.
5. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
3. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
4. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
5. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
2. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
3. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
4. When Leopold became concerned about Morel's media attacks, what did he try to do?
5. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
6. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
7. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
8. What did Morel do after quitting his job with Elder Dempster?
9. What was ivory used for in Europe?
10. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)