|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Several hundred miles.
(b) A few dozen miles.
(c) Tens of miles.
(d) A few miles.
2. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
(a) He died shortly thereafter.
(b) He has used up all his supplies.
(c) His assistance was no longer needed.
(d) He was unable to get back.
3. Where was Stanley born?
4. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) American Civil War.
(c) American Revolutionary War.
(d) War of 1812.
5. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(b) Available labor.
(d) Competent to rule themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
2. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
3. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
4. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
5. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
2. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
3. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
4. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
5. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
6. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
7. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
8. What was ivory used for in Europe?
9. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
10. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)