|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
2. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Brightly-colored cloth.
(b) Thread and needles.
(c) Paper and books.
(d) Medicine and food.
3. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(b) Yellow fever.
(c) Chicken pox.
4. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
5. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
(a) The good things Leopold was doing.
(b) The atrocities he saw.
(c) The horrible way the locals treated the Belgians.
(d) The peaceful conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
2. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
3. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
4. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
5. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
2. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
3. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
4. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
5. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
6. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
7. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
8. What does Chapter 19 document?
9. What was Elder Dempster?
10. What happened to Morel when he espoused pacifist principles during World War I?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)