|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) A basic literature degree.
(b) An advanced collegiate degree.
(c) A law degree.
(d) No degree.
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Rowlands.
(b) John Edwards.
(c) John Morton.
(d) John Stanley.
3. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(b) The New World.
4. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Free Congo.
(b) Congo Free State.
(c) Republic of Congo.
(d) Belgian Congo.
5. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
(a) James Gordon Bennett.
(b) James Gordon Madison.
(c) James Gordon Morrow.
(d) James Gordon Edison.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
2. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
3. What year was the Force Publique established?
4. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
5. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hochschild begin the book?
2. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
3. Describe Joseph Conrad.
4. What were some of the ways Leopold responded to his critics?
5. How did Leopold react to the Casement Report?
6. What did the British Parliament decide to do after passing a resolution protesting the atrocities in the Congo?
7. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
8. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
9. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
10. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)