|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Late 1860s.
(b) Early 1870s.
(c) Late 1870s.
(d) Early 1860s.
2. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(a) Yellow fever.
(c) Chicken pox.
3. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was too eccentric.
(b) He was evil.
(c) He was very handsome.
(d) He had too much power.
4. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(b) Several dozen.
(d) Several hundred.
5. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
2. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
3. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
4. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
5. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
2. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
3. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
4. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
5. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
6. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
7. When did things change in the Congo?
8. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
9. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
10. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)