|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Middle East.
(b) Far East.
2. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
3. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 235 miles.
(b) 225 miles.
(c) 230 miles.
(d) 220 miles.
4. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Congo Free State.
(b) Free Congo.
(c) Republic of Congo.
(d) Belgian Congo.
5. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Victoria Parry.
(c) Mary Parry.
(d) Betsy Parry.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
2. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
3. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
4. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
5. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
2. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
3. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
4. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
5. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
6. What was ivory used for in Europe?
7. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
8. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
9. When did things change in the Congo?
10. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)