|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
2. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) His time in the Congo ran out.
(b) He got sick.
(c) There was a bounty on his head.
(d) He had a sick family.
3. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
4. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(b) Old age.
5. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(b) Land grants.
(c) Public praise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
2. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
3. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
4. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
5. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
2. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
3. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
4. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
5. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
6. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
7. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
10. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)