|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(b) Newspaper articles.
(c) Magazine articles.
2. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
3. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
4. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
5. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
2. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
3. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
4. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
5. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
3. What caused the official pressure on Leopold from the international front?
4. What did Leopold do when he realized he could not suppress the Commission of Inquiry report?
5. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
6. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
7. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
8. Describe Casement's voyage through the Congo.
9. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
10. If the death of 50% of the population in the Congo was not genocide per se, what was it?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)