|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Thread and needles.
(b) Paper and books.
(c) Medicine and food.
(d) Brightly-colored cloth.
2. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
3. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
4. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
(a) Divala Cao.
(b) Diresus Cao.
(c) Diogo Cao.
(d) Disarro Cao.
5. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(a) Became a trader.
(c) Leave America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
2. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
3. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
4. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
5. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
3. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
4. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
5. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
6. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
7. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
8. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
9. When did things change in the Congo?
10. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)