|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) A decade and a half.
(b) 10 years.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) Five years.
2. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A dozen.
(b) At least ten.
(c) A few.
(d) One or two.
3. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(a) Lieutenant General.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
4. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Victoria Parry.
(b) Kathy Parry.
(c) Betsy Parry.
(d) Mary Parry.
5. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(b) Land grants.
(c) Public praise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
2. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
3. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
4. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
5. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
2. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
3. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
4. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
5. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
6. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
7. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
8. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
9. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
10. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)