|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) American Civil War.
(b) War of 1812.
(c) American Revolutionary War.
(d) The 100 Years War.
2. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
3. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
4. Where was Stanley born?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
2. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
3. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
4. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
5. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. When did things change in the Congo?
3. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
4. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
5. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
6. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
7. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
8. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
9. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
10. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)