|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Morton.
(b) John Rowlands.
(c) John Stanley.
(d) John Edwards.
3. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
4. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) A few dozen miles.
(b) A few miles.
(c) Several hundred miles.
(d) Tens of miles.
5. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
(b) Human development.
(c) Original sin.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
2. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
3. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
4. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
5. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
2. When did things change in the Congo?
3. How does Hochschild begin the book?
4. What was ivory used for in Europe?
5. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
6. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
7. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
8. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
9. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
10. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)