|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a pilot.
(b) As a passenger.
(c) As a crew member.
(d) As a stow-away.
2. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
3. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
(a) The desert.
(b) The Great Divide.
(c) The Nile.
(d) The Congo River.
4. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
5. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(a) Old age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
2. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
3. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
4. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
5. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
2. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
3. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
4. When did things change in the Congo?
5. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
6. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
7. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
8. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
9. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
10. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)