|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
(a) The Great Divide.
(b) The Nile.
(c) The desert.
(d) The Congo River.
2. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) A basic literature degree.
(b) A law degree.
(c) No degree.
(d) An advanced collegiate degree.
3. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(b) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(c) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
(d) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
4. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 230 miles.
(b) 225 miles.
(c) 220 miles.
(d) 235 miles.
5. What year was the Force Publique established?
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
2. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
3. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
4. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
5. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
2. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
3. What was ivory used for in Europe?
4. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
5. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
6. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
7. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
8. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
9. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
10. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)