|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
2. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
3. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
4. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(b) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(c) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(d) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
5. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Resource possession.
(b) Power possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Human possession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
2. Where was Stanley born?
3. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
4. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
5. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
2. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
3. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
4. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
5. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
6. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
7. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
8. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
9. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
10. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)