|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
(a) Row boats.
(b) Sail boats.
(c) Coal boats.
2. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Ernie Pasha.
(b) Alma Pasha.
(c) Emin Pasha.
(d) Arnold Pasha.
3. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
4. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(a) A few.
(b) As many as could get there.
(c) A lot.
5. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) One or two.
(b) A few.
(c) A dozen.
(d) At least ten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
2. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
3. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
4. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
5. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
2. How does Hochschild begin the book?
3. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
4. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
5. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
6. Describe Joseph Conrad.
7. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
8. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
9. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
10. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)