Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
2. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Early 1870s.
(b) Early 1860s.
(c) Late 1860s.
(d) Late 1870s.
3. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
4. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
5. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(a) Puerto Rico.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
2. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
5. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
2. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
3. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
4. Why does the author discuss Leopold's fascination with Caroline?
5. What was E.D. Morel's conclusion, upon seeing that the trade between Belgium and the Congo was severely unbalanced?
6. Why did Leopold want the soldiers in one area to be of a different cultural unit than the subjects in that area?
7. What happened to Morel when he espoused pacifist principles during World War I?
8. How did the natives of the Congo get the rubber from the vines?
9. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
10. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)