|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Betsy Parry.
(c) Victoria Parry.
(d) Mary Parry.
2. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Large caliber rifles.
(b) Breech-loading rifles.
(c) Boar-shot rifles.
(d) Side-winding rifles.
3. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
4. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
5. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
2. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
3. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
4. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
2. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
3. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
4. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
5. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
6. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
7. When did things change in the Congo?
8. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
9. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
10. Why did Leopold embark on a plan to gain the Congo as a colonial possession?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)