|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the Force Publique established?
2. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
3. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
4. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(a) Land grants.
(c) Public praise.
5. Where was Stanley born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
2. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
3. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
4. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
5. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hochschild begin the book?
2. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
3. Describe Joseph Conrad.
4. How did Marchal become interested in the truth behind Leopold and the Congo?
5. What happened when Leopold determined that hiring Kowalsky was a mistake?
6. What sources of death are included when the author attempts to tally the death toll associated with colonialism in the Congo?
7. What did Leopold do when he determined the situation with the international community and the Congo to be untenable?
8. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
9. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
10. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)