|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A wife and a mistress.
(b) A father and his children.
(c) A mother and wife.
(d) A wife and children.
2. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
3. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
4. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Pacific Ocean route.
(b) Indian Ocean route.
(c) Atlantic Ocean route.
(d) Mediterranean Ocean route.
5. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(b) Leave America.
(d) Became a trader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
2. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
3. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
4. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
5. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Senator John Tyler Morgan want Leopold's claim to the Congo recognized?
2. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
3. How does Hochschild begin the book?
4. What were some of the technological advances that led Leopold's agents to establish dominance in the Congo?
5. What was ivory used for in Europe?
6. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
7. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
8. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
9. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
10. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)