|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) European languages.
(c) African languages.
(d) African and European languages.
2. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
3. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 225 miles.
(b) 220 miles.
(c) 235 miles.
(d) 230 miles.
4. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
5. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(a) Became a trader.
(c) Leave America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
2. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
3. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
4. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
5. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
2. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
3. What did Leopold do when the venture in the Congo consumed all his funds?
4. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
5. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
6. When did things change in the Congo?
7. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
8. How does Hochschild begin the book?
9. What military did George Washington Williams have after the American Civil War?
10. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)