|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(b) A few.
(c) As many as could get there.
(d) A lot.
2. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
3. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(b) Old age.
4. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(a) The New World.
5. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) War of 1812.
(c) American Civil War.
(d) American Revolutionary War.
Short Answer Questions
1. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
2. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
3. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
4. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
5. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
2. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
3. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
4. What happened to the young white bachelors who entered into the Congo service?
5. What did the international organizations Leopold established and then dissolved do?
6. When did things change in the Congo?
7. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
8. What did the treaties Stanley negotiated with the local chiefs trade for brightly colored cloth?
9. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
10. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)