|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Far East.
(d) Middle East.
2. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Medicine and food.
(b) Thread and needles.
(c) Brightly-colored cloth.
(d) Paper and books.
3. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
(a) Disarro Cao.
(b) Divala Cao.
(c) Diogo Cao.
(d) Diresus Cao.
4. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Tens of miles.
(b) A few dozen miles.
(c) A few miles.
(d) Several hundred miles.
5. What year was the Force Publique established?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
2. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
3. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
4. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
5. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Leopold maneuver and manage Stanley?
2. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
3. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
4. How does Hochschild begin the book?
5. What happened to the Africans that other Africans captured and took to the coastal towns?
6. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
7. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
8. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
9. What happened to the Congo Free State in 1908?
10. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)