|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
(a) Divala Cao.
(b) Disarro Cao.
(c) Diogo Cao.
(d) Diresus Cao.
2. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Congo Free State.
(b) Republic of Congo.
(c) Belgian Congo.
(d) Free Congo.
3. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
4. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) 10 years.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) Five years.
(d) A decade and a half.
5. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
2. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
3. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
4. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
5. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hochschild begin the book?
2. What was the purpose of the Berlin Conference?
3. Describe Joseph Conrad.
4. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
5. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
6. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
7. Why did John Rowlands adopt the last name Stanley?
8. Why did President Arthur recognize Leopold's claim to the Congo?
9. What did Stanley pretend to be once he was a celebrity?
10. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"? What is his job?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)