|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
2. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
3. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
4. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
5. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
(a) St. Nicholas'.
(b) St. Luke's.
(c) St. Asaph's.
(d) St. John's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
2. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
3. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
4. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
5. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hochschild begin the book?
2. What happened to the Europeans on Stanley's expedition in 1874?
3. Why was Leopold easily able to discredit Williams' reports of atrocities in the Congo?
4. Describe Joseph Conrad.
5. What did Leopold use his personal control to do to the Congo?
6. Why is Captain Leon Rom the most likely man upon whom Conrad based the character of Kurtz?
7. How did George Washington Williams present himself that was false?
8. Why did Stanley agree to enter into business dealings with King Leopold?
9. When did things change in the Congo?
10. What happened when Stanley found Dr. Livingstone?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)