|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Irish nationalist.
(b) Scottish nationalist.
(c) British nationalist.
(d) Celtic nationalist.
2. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(b) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
(c) A paradise.
(d) A sad and poor country.
3. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
4. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
5. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
6. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
7. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Riverboat crews.
(b) Force Publique.
(c) Mine workers.
(d) Rubber harvesters.
8. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
(c) Carrie Ann.
9. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(c) Art restorer.
(d) Sketch artist.
10. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
(a) Mundele Ndom.
(b) Mundele Nrom.
(c) Mundele Mtom.
(d) Mundele Mnom.
11. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 9 million.
(b) 11 million.
(c) 10 million.
(d) 13 million.
12. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Death threats.
(b) Widespread slavery.
(c) Willing workers.
(d) Theft of resources.
13. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
14. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
(a) Retain Caroline as his wife.
(b) Divorce his wife to marry Caroline.
(c) Retain Caroline and her sister as his mistresses.
(d) Retain Caroline as his mistress.
15. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their advertising.
(b) Their news.
(c) Their circulation.
(d) Their content.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
2. What was the West African Mail?
3. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
4. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
5. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)