|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
2. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) A favorable report.
(b) An honest report.
(c) A whitewashed report.
(d) A detailed report.
3. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
4. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Firearms and ammunition.
(b) Books and paper.
(c) Firearms and medicine.
(d) Whips and chains.
5. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(b) The newspaper editors.
(c) The Belgian Prime Minister.
6. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Celtic nationalist.
(b) Irish nationalist.
(c) British nationalist.
(d) Scottish nationalist.
7. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
8. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Mine workers.
(b) Riverboat crews.
(c) Force Publique.
(d) Rubber harvesters.
9. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
10. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(b) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
(c) A sad and poor country.
(d) A paradise.
11. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 9 million.
(b) 13 million.
(c) 11 million.
(d) 10 million.
12. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1913.
(b) 1880 to 1925.
(c) 1880 to 1918.
(d) 1880 to 1920.
13. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
14. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
15. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(a) Art restorer.
(c) Sketch artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the West African Mail?
2. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
3. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
4. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
5. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)