|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
2. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) A foot was severed.
(b) A hand was severed.
(c) A leg was severed.
(d) An arm was severed.
3. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
4. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(b) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(c) Illustrated weekly magazine.
(d) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
5. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) A Tally.
(b) A Reckoning.
(c) The Score.
(d) A Settlement.
6. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
(b) Not the whole picture.
7. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
(a) Divorce his wife to marry Caroline.
(b) Retain Caroline as his wife.
(c) Retain Caroline as his mistress.
(d) Retain Caroline and her sister as his mistresses.
8. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Scottish nationalist.
(b) British nationalist.
(c) Celtic nationalist.
(d) Irish nationalist.
9. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Books and paper.
(b) Firearms and medicine.
(c) Firearms and ammunition.
(d) Whips and chains.
10. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish carefully written articles.
(b) To write short stories.
(c) To publish articles about ivory.
(d) To advertise his riches.
11. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
12. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
13. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
14. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
15. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
2. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
3. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
4. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
5. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)