|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
2. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
(b) Private palaces.
3. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
(a) The British Government.
(b) Senator McKenna.
(c) The Belgian public.
4. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(d) Severely shortened.
5. Who is Dorothy Tennant?
(a) Stanley's wife.
(b) Stanley's daughter.
(c) Stanley's mistress.
(d) Stanley's mother.
6. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
7. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(b) His boss.
(d) Elder Dempster.
8. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Death threats.
(b) Theft of resources.
(c) Widespread slavery.
(d) Willing workers.
9. How did Shanu die?
(b) Car accident.
(c) On the high seas.
10. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
11. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
(a) Congo's independence.
(c) Morel's publications.
(d) Leopold's public statements.
12. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
(a) A letter from King Leopold.
(b) A statue.
(c) Public hatred.
(d) Public honors.
13. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(a) E.D. Morel.
(b) Military personnel.
(c) British officials.
14. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(b) A paradise.
(c) A sad and poor country.
(d) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
15. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(b) Art restorer.
(d) Sketch artist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
2. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
3. What was the West African Mail?
4. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
5. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)