|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) An honest report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) A detailed report.
(d) A whitewashed report.
2. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
(a) There was little resemblance between the two.
(b) The two were similar, but not identical.
(c) There was some similarity between the two on important points.
(d) The two were identical.
3. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(b) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
(c) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
(d) Carry slaves to Belgium.
4. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
(a) Ship captain.
(b) Freight manager.
(c) Dock hand.
5. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1918.
(b) 1880 to 1920.
(c) 1880 to 1925.
(d) 1880 to 1913.
6. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
7. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
(a) Foreign investment.
(b) Slave labor.
(c) Leopold's investment.
(d) Missionary money.
8. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
(a) A denial.
(b) An editorial.
(c) A supporting statement.
(d) A summary.
9. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A sad and poor country.
(b) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
(c) A paradise.
(d) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
10. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
11. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
12. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
(b) Morel's publications.
(c) Congo's independence.
(d) Leopold's public statements.
13. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Riverboat crews.
(b) Rubber harvesters.
(c) Force Publique.
(d) Mine workers.
14. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
15. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(a) E.D. Morel.
(b) British officials.
(d) Military personnel.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
2. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
3. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
4. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
5. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)