|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
2. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
(a) Leopold's public statements.
(b) Morel's publications.
(d) Congo's independence.
3. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Trim the vines.
(b) Tap the vines.
(c) Skin the vines.
(d) Cut the vines.
4. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(b) E.D. Morel.
(c) British officials.
(d) Military personnel.
5. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
(a) German Council.
(b) British Parliament.
(c) U.S. Senate.
(d) Belgian Parliament.
6. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) A foot was severed.
(b) A leg was severed.
(c) A hand was severed.
(d) An arm was severed.
7. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
8. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
9. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
10. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Irish nationalist.
(b) Celtic nationalist.
(c) British nationalist.
(d) Scottish nationalist.
11. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
(a) Dock hand.
(b) Ship captain.
(c) Freight manager.
12. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The newspaper editors.
(b) The Belgian Prime Minister.
13. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(a) Sketch artist.
(b) Art restorer.
14. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
15. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
(a) Public honors.
(b) A statue.
(c) A letter from King Leopold.
(d) Public hatred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
2. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
3. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
4. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
5. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)