|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
(a) A statue.
(b) A letter from King Leopold.
(c) Public hatred.
(d) Public honors.
2. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
3. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
(a) Humanitarian need organizations.
(b) Humanitarian publishing.
(c) Humanitarian donations.
(d) Humanitarian missionaries.
4. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A paradise.
(b) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(c) A sad and poor country.
(d) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
5. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(b) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(c) Illustrated weekly magazine.
(d) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
6. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Celtic nationalist.
(b) Scottish nationalist.
(c) Irish nationalist.
(d) British nationalist.
7. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) A Reckoning.
(b) A Settlement.
(c) A Tally.
(d) The Score.
8. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(a) Elder Dempster.
(b) His boss.
9. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
10. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
(a) Mundele Mtom.
(b) Mundele Nrom.
(c) Mundele Mnom.
(d) Mundele Ndom.
11. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(a) Sketch artist.
(d) Art restorer.
12. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
13. Who is Dorothy Tennant?
(a) Stanley's mother.
(b) Stanley's daughter.
(c) Stanley's wife.
(d) Stanley's mistress.
14. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
(a) Congo's independence.
(b) Leopold's public statements.
(d) Morel's publications.
15. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The animals.
(b) The medicine and fuel.
(c) The women and children.
(d) The tools and food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
2. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
3. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
4. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
5. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)