|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Firearms and ammunition.
(b) Firearms and medicine.
(c) Books and paper.
(d) Whips and chains.
2. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) Mid 1905.
(b) Early 1905.
(c) Late 1905.
(d) July, 1905.
3. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
(a) Public honors.
(b) A letter from King Leopold.
(c) Public hatred.
(d) A statue.
4. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
5. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their advertising.
(b) Their content.
(c) Their circulation.
(d) Their news.
6. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
(a) Ship captain.
(b) Dock hand.
(d) Freight manager.
7. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 9 million.
(c) 11 million.
(d) 10 million.
8. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(b) Illustrated weekly magazine.
(c) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(d) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
9. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
10. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba city.
(b) Kuba capital.
(c) Kuba hospital.
(d) Kuba ritual grounds.
11. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The newspaper editors.
(c) The Belgian Prime Minister.
12. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(b) Sketch artist.
(c) Art restorer.
13. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) British nationalist.
(b) Irish nationalist.
(c) Scottish nationalist.
(d) Celtic nationalist.
14. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
15. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
2. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
3. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
4. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
5. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)