|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
2. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Tap the vines.
(b) Cut the vines.
(c) Skin the vines.
(d) Trim the vines.
3. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
(b) Carrie Ann.
4. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(b) Carry slaves to Belgium.
(c) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
(d) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
5. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1918.
(b) 1880 to 1913.
(c) 1880 to 1925.
(d) 1880 to 1920.
6. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The women and children.
(b) The tools and food.
(c) The medicine and fuel.
(d) The animals.
7. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
8. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
(a) There was some similarity between the two on important points.
(b) There was little resemblance between the two.
(c) The two were similar, but not identical.
(d) The two were identical.
9. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
10. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
11. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their content.
(b) Their news.
(c) Their circulation.
(d) Their advertising.
12. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
(a) Private palaces.
13. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
14. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
(b) Dock sheet.
(c) Loading summary.
15. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black helpful man.
(b) The black Englishman.
(c) The scary black man.
(d) The black white man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
2. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
3. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
4. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
5. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)