|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
2. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black white man.
(b) The scary black man.
(c) The black helpful man.
(d) The black Englishman.
3. How did Shanu die?
(b) On the high seas.
(d) Car accident.
4. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
(d) Not the whole picture.
5. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
(b) Loading summary.
(c) Dock sheet.
6. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1913.
(b) 1880 to 1925.
(c) 1880 to 1920.
(d) 1880 to 1918.
7. What work did Casement do in Africa?
8. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
9. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(a) His boss.
(d) Elder Dempster.
10. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) An honest report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) A whitewashed report.
(d) A detailed report.
11. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
12. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 13 million.
(b) 11 million.
(c) 9 million.
(d) 10 million.
13. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Force Publique.
(b) Riverboat crews.
(c) Rubber harvesters.
(d) Mine workers.
14. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
(a) Three cronies of Leopold.
(b) Three British citizens.
(c) Three lawyers.
(d) Three independent inspectors.
15. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
2. What was the West African Mail?
3. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
4. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
5. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)