|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
2. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Books and paper.
(b) Firearms and medicine.
(c) Firearms and ammunition.
(d) Whips and chains.
3. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
4. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
5. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
6. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Death threats.
(b) Theft of resources.
(c) Willing workers.
(d) Widespread slavery.
7. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
(a) The two were identical.
(b) There was little resemblance between the two.
(c) The two were similar, but not identical.
(d) There was some similarity between the two on important points.
8. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
9. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
10. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba hospital.
(b) Kuba ritual grounds.
(c) Kuba city.
(d) Kuba capital.
11. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black white man.
(b) The black helpful man.
(c) The black Englishman.
(d) The scary black man.
12. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) An honest report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) A detailed report.
(d) A whitewashed report.
13. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(a) Military personnel.
(c) E.D. Morel.
(d) British officials.
14. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
15. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
(a) Three independent inspectors.
(b) Three British citizens.
(c) Three lawyers.
(d) Three cronies of Leopold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
2. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
3. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
4. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
5. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)