|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
(a) Three lawyers.
(b) Three cronies of Leopold.
(c) Three independent inspectors.
(d) Three British citizens.
2. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
3. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The abuses in the Congo.
(b) The lack of money in the Congo.
(c) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(d) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
4. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
(a) A summary.
(b) An editorial.
(c) A supporting statement.
(d) A denial.
5. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(a) Severely shortened.
6. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
7. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their content.
(b) Their news.
(c) Their circulation.
(d) Their advertising.
8. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
9. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Celtic nationalist.
(b) Scottish nationalist.
(c) British nationalist.
(d) Irish nationalist.
10. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
11. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
12. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba ritual grounds.
(b) Kuba city.
(c) Kuba capital.
(d) Kuba hospital.
13. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(d) Chicken pox.
14. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
15. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The tools and food.
(b) The medicine and fuel.
(c) The women and children.
(d) The animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
2. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
3. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
4. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
5. What was the West African Mail?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)