|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
2. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
3. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
4. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(b) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
(c) The abuses in the Congo.
(d) The lack of money in the Congo.
5. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
6. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
(a) A paradise.
(b) A sad and poor country.
(c) A place of sin, needing missionaries.
(d) A poor place, being helped by Leopold.
7. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1918.
(b) 1880 to 1925.
(c) 1880 to 1913.
(d) 1880 to 1920.
8. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
9. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(d) Severely shortened.
10. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
11. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(d) Chicken pox.
12. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(a) The Belgian Prime Minister.
(d) The newspaper editors.
13. When the Casement Report was made public, who did Casement join with to demand action?
(a) The British Government.
(c) Senator McKenna.
(d) The Belgian public.
14. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
15. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The animals.
(b) The tools and food.
(c) The medicine and fuel.
(d) The women and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work did Casement do in Africa?
2. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
3. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
4. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
5. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)