|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
2. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The women and children.
(b) The tools and food.
(c) The animals.
(d) The medicine and fuel.
3. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) Early 1905.
(b) Late 1905.
(c) Mid 1905.
(d) July, 1905.
4. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
(a) Mundele Mnom.
(b) Mundele Ndom.
(c) Mundele Mtom.
(d) Mundele Nrom.
5. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(d) Chicken pox.
6. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) A foot was severed.
(b) A hand was severed.
(c) A leg was severed.
(d) An arm was severed.
7. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
(a) Loading summary.
(b) Dock sheet.
8. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) A whitewashed report.
(b) A detailed report.
(c) An honest report.
(d) A favorable report.
9. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Whips and chains.
(b) Books and paper.
(c) Firearms and medicine.
(d) Firearms and ammunition.
10. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(a) Elder Dempster.
(d) His boss.
11. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
(a) The two were identical.
(b) The two were similar, but not identical.
(c) There was little resemblance between the two.
(d) There was some similarity between the two on important points.
12. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
(b) Carry slaves to Belgium.
(c) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(d) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
13. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
14. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The lack of money in the Congo.
(b) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(c) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
(d) The abuses in the Congo.
15. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Theft of resources.
(b) Willing workers.
(c) Widespread slavery.
(d) Death threats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
2. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
3. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
4. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
5. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)