|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
2. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
3. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Whips and chains.
(b) Firearms and medicine.
(c) Firearms and ammunition.
(d) Books and paper.
4. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
5. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Scottish nationalist.
(b) Irish nationalist.
(c) Celtic nationalist.
(d) British nationalist.
6. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
7. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(b) Severely shortened.
8. By who was the official Commission of Inquiry staffed?
(a) Three British citizens.
(b) Three independent inspectors.
(c) Three lawyers.
(d) Three cronies of Leopold.
9. What is the name for the piece of paper that shows what freight a ship is carrying?
(c) Dock sheet.
(d) Loading summary.
10. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
(a) Humanitarian missionaries.
(b) Humanitarian need organizations.
(c) Humanitarian donations.
(d) Humanitarian publishing.
11. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(b) The newspaper editors.
(d) The Belgian Prime Minister.
12. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish articles about ivory.
(b) To publish carefully written articles.
(c) To advertise his riches.
(d) To write short stories.
13. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
14. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
15. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
(c) Carrie Ann.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
2. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
3. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
4. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
5. What is the title of Chapter 15?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)