|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) Late 1905.
(b) Mid 1905.
(c) Early 1905.
(d) July, 1905.
2. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
3. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) British nationalist.
(b) Celtic nationalist.
(c) Scottish nationalist.
(d) Irish nationalist.
4. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
5. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
(b) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
(c) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(d) Carry slaves to Belgium.
6. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(c) Art restorer.
(d) Sketch artist.
7. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
(a) Retain Caroline as his wife.
(b) Divorce his wife to marry Caroline.
(c) Retain Caroline and her sister as his mistresses.
(d) Retain Caroline as his mistress.
8. How were the roads and railroads in Congo completed and improved?
(a) Missionary money.
(b) Slave labor.
(c) Foreign investment.
(d) Leopold's investment.
9. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Cut the vines.
(b) Skin the vines.
(c) Tap the vines.
(d) Trim the vines.
10. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
11. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
12. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(a) Chicken pox.
13. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) A Tally.
(b) A Reckoning.
(c) A Settlement.
(d) The Score.
14. When did Shanu begin working for Leopold's regime?
15. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Widespread slavery.
(b) Death threats.
(c) Theft of resources.
(d) Willing workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
2. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
3. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
4. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
5. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)