|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The lack of money in the Congo.
(b) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
(c) The abuses in the Congo.
(d) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
2. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Whips and chains.
(b) Firearms and medicine.
(c) Books and paper.
(d) Firearms and ammunition.
3. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) July, 1905.
(b) Early 1905.
(c) Late 1905.
(d) Mid 1905.
4. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their content.
(b) Their news.
(c) Their circulation.
(d) Their advertising.
5. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Rubber harvesters.
(b) Force Publique.
(c) Mine workers.
(d) Riverboat crews.
6. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
7. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(b) His boss.
(c) Elder Dempster.
8. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
9. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black Englishman.
(b) The black white man.
(c) The scary black man.
(d) The black helpful man.
10. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
11. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
12. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His treasury.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His kingdom.
13. What would be seized until the men of the village delivered a specific quota of sap?
(a) The medicine and fuel.
(b) The animals.
(c) The tools and food.
(d) The women and children.
14. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
(a) An arm was severed.
(b) A foot was severed.
(c) A leg was severed.
(d) A hand was severed.
15. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(c) Severely shortened.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
2. When did Morel begin publishing articles?
3. How many official depositions did the Commission of Inquiry members take?
4. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
5. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)