|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dorothy Tennant?
(a) Stanley's daughter.
(b) Stanley's mother.
(c) Stanley's wife.
(d) Stanley's mistress.
2. How did Shanu die?
(b) Car accident.
(c) On the high seas.
3. In 1903, who passed a resolution protesting atrocities in Congo?
(a) U.S. Senate.
(b) British Parliament.
(c) German Council.
(d) Belgian Parliament.
4. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
5. Hezekiah Andrew Shanu was born and educated in what is now known as which country?
6. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(b) The lack of money in the Congo.
(c) The abuses in the Congo.
(d) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
7. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
8. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His treasury.
(c) His kingdom.
(d) His marriage.
9. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Riverboat crews.
(b) Force Publique.
(c) Rubber harvesters.
(d) Mine workers.
10. What did Shanu receive when he went to Belgium in 1894?
(a) Public hatred.
(b) Public honors.
(c) A letter from King Leopold.
(d) A statue.
11. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
(c) Private palaces.
12. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(b) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
(c) Illustrated weekly postcard.
(d) Illustrated weekly magazine.
13. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(b) British officials.
(c) Military personnel.
(d) E.D. Morel.
14. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
15. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
2. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
3. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
4. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
5. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)