|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their advertising.
(b) Their circulation.
(c) Their news.
(d) Their content.
2. What did the first comprehensive census of the Congo determine the national population to be?
(a) 10 million.
(b) 13 million.
(c) 9 million.
(d) 11 million.
3. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(b) The abuses in the Congo.
(c) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
(d) The lack of money in the Congo.
4. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
5. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1918.
(b) 1880 to 1920.
(c) 1880 to 1925.
(d) 1880 to 1913.
6. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(c) Elder Dempster.
(d) His boss.
7. What church was William Henry Sheppard a missionary for?
8. What work did Casement do in Africa?
9. What was the relationship between the summary of the report Leopold had published and the official Commission of Inquiry report?
(a) The two were similar, but not identical.
(b) There was little resemblance between the two.
(c) There was some similarity between the two on important points.
(d) The two were identical.
10. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) Early 1905.
(b) Mid 1905.
(c) Late 1905.
(d) July, 1905.
11. What profession did Henry I. Kowalsky practice?
12. Based on what he observed, what did E.D. Morel decide that Belgium's trade with the Congo was?
(c) Severely shortened.
13. When did Casement go to the Congo to make an evaluation of the atrocities?
14. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Death threats.
(b) Widespread slavery.
(c) Willing workers.
(d) Theft of resources.
15. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
2. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
3. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
4. How did Shanu die?
5. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)