|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Rubber harvesters.
(b) Riverboat crews.
(c) Mine workers.
(d) Force Publique.
2. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(c) Chicken pox.
3. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
(a) 1880 to 1918.
(b) 1880 to 1913.
(c) 1880 to 1920.
(d) 1880 to 1925.
4. What work did Casement do in Africa?
5. When did Morel resign, under pressure, from Elder Dempster?
6. What did E.D. Morel determine was the only explanation for what he was seeing on the docks?
(a) Theft of resources.
(b) Death threats.
(c) Widespread slavery.
(d) Willing workers.
7. What was Casement, in his youth?
(a) Scottish nationalist.
(b) British nationalist.
(c) Celtic nationalist.
(d) Irish nationalist.
8. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
(a) A summary.
(b) A denial.
(c) A supporting statement.
(d) An editorial.
9. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The lack of money in the Congo.
(b) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
(c) The abuses in the Congo.
(d) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
10. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
(a) Late 1905.
(b) July, 1905.
(c) Mid 1905.
(d) Early 1905.
11. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
12. What was Dorothy Tennant's job?
(b) Sketch artist.
(d) Art restorer.
13. What did Elder Dempster have exclusive contracts with Leopold to do?
(a) Carry cargo between Congo and Belgium.
(b) Carry slaves from Congo to anywhere.
(c) Carry people between Congo and Belgium.
(d) Carry slaves to Belgium.
14. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
15. What kind of report did Leopold expect from the Commission of Inquiry?
(a) A whitewashed report.
(b) A favorable report.
(c) An honest report.
(d) A detailed report.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
2. What job did E.D. Morel work at with Elder Dempster?
3. What did coagulated sap from the wild vines in the Congo form the basis of?
4. Leopold put on a lavish display about Congo at the World's Fair and suggest it was what?
5. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)