|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
2. What did Leopold issue before the Commission of Inquiry report was published?
(a) A summary.
(b) A denial.
(c) A supporting statement.
(d) An editorial.
3. What military title did Henry I. Kowalsky affect?
4. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
5. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
6. When Morel began to crusade against the atrocities in the Congo and Africa, he became the center of what?
(a) Humanitarian missionaries.
(b) Humanitarian need organizations.
(c) Humanitarian publishing.
(d) Humanitarian donations.
7. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
8. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Force Publique.
(b) Mine workers.
(c) Riverboat crews.
(d) Rubber harvesters.
9. What work did Casement do in Africa?
10. What did Leopold dismiss the Casement Report as when he first heard of it?
(a) Not the whole picture.
11. What suffered because of Leopold's fascination with the young girl and his adventures with her?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His treasury.
(c) His marriage.
(d) His kingdom.
12. What did E.D. Morel realize the only thing exported to the Congo was?
(a) Whips and chains.
(b) Firearms and ammunition.
(c) Firearms and medicine.
(d) Books and paper.
13. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
(a) Retain Caroline as his mistress.
(b) Divorce his wife to marry Caroline.
(c) Retain Caroline and her sister as his mistresses.
(d) Retain Caroline as his wife.
14. When Leopold fired Kowalsky, whom did Kowalsky turn over masses of damning documents to?
(b) The newspaper editors.
(c) The Belgian Prime Minister.
15. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
2. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
3. What punishment would men who failed to meet their quota of vines undergo?
4. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
5. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)