|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Sheppard's name among the natives in the Congo?
(a) Mundele Mtom.
(b) Mundele Mnom.
(c) Mundele Nrom.
(d) Mundele Ndom.
2. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
(a) Their advertising.
(b) Their circulation.
(c) Their content.
(d) Their news.
3. For what crime was Sheppard tried for the publication of atrocities in the Congo?
4. When Leopold was in his 70s, what did he do to cause outrage in Belgium?
(a) Retain Caroline as his wife.
(b) Retain Caroline and her sister as his mistresses.
(c) Divorce his wife to marry Caroline.
(d) Retain Caroline as his mistress.
5. When was the first comprehensive census of the Congo performed?
6. Where was Casement sent when he was in the British consular services?
7. What did Sheppard write many letters to international contacts complaining about?
(a) The lack of money in the Congo.
(b) The conditions for white men in the Congo.
(c) The abuses in the Congo.
(d) The need for more missionaries in the Congo.
8. What nationality was the shipping firm Elder Dempster from?
9. Who unsuccessfully bribed Morel to stop his work on the Congo?
(a) Elder Dempster.
(c) His boss.
10. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
(a) Force Publique.
(b) Rubber harvesters.
(c) Riverboat crews.
(d) Mine workers.
11. Why did Leopold purchase newspaper space?
(a) To publish carefully written articles.
(b) To publish articles about ivory.
(c) To advertise his riches.
(d) To write short stories.
12. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) A Tally.
(b) The Score.
(c) A Reckoning.
(d) A Settlement.
13. What did Sheppard's native Congo name mean?
(a) The black helpful man.
(b) The black Englishman.
(c) The scary black man.
(d) The black white man.
14. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
15. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
2. When did the Belgian press expose Shanu as Morel's accomplice?
3. What is the word used to describe someone who is afraid of germs?
4. Where did Shanu move when he moved to Congo?
5. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)