|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the World's Fair held in Brussels?
2. What is the word that means someone who always thinks they are sick?
3. What is the main disease cited in Chapter 15 as a major cause of death?
(b) Chicken pox.
4. What was the easiest way to gather the sap of the vines?
(a) Skin the vines.
(b) Tap the vines.
(c) Trim the vines.
(d) Cut the vines.
5. Where did Casement travel, after Congo, to document abuses against the natives?
6. When did Casement produce the Casement Report?
7. Who is Dorothy Tennant?
(a) Stanley's daughter.
(b) Stanley's mother.
(c) Stanley's mistress.
(d) Stanley's wife.
8. Whom did Leopold bribe in order to suppress information or subvert the truth?
(b) E.D. Morel.
(c) British officials.
(d) Military personnel.
9. What percentage was the population of Congo reduced by as cited by the author during the period covered in Chapter 15?
10. Congo was rich in wild vines of the genus _________.
11. What place in the Congo was Sheppard the first non-native to travel to?
(a) Kuba city.
(b) Kuba hospital.
(c) Kuba ritual grounds.
(d) Kuba capital.
12. What work did Casement do in Africa?
13. Leopold became wealthy off the resources in the Congo and built multiple what?
(c) Private palaces.
14. How old was Leopold when he met a teenage prostitute on one of his European voyages?
15. When did Sheppard travel to Africa?
Short Answer Questions
1. What span of years does Chapter 15 attempt to reconcile the death toll from?
2. What was the probable name of the prostitute that Leopold made his mistress?
3. What did Shanu recruit for in Congo?
4. When did Morel establish the West African Mail?
5. What did the official Commission of Inquiry report validate?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)