|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) They had more riches.
(b) They were immediately accessible.
(c) The local people were friendlier.
(d) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
2. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) The 100 Years War.
(b) American Civil War.
(c) War of 1812.
(d) American Revolutionary War.
3. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Indian Ocean route.
(b) Pacific Ocean route.
(c) Mediterranean Ocean route.
(d) Atlantic Ocean route.
4. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(a) Lieutenant General.
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
5. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
6. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
(a) Gold and diamonds.
(b) Ivory and diamonds.
(c) Ivory and rubber.
(d) Rubber and gold.
7. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
8. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Edwards.
(b) John Rowlands.
(c) John Stanley.
(d) John Morton.
9. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
10. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) A law degree.
(b) An advanced collegiate degree.
(c) No degree.
(d) A basic literature degree.
11. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
12. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
13. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Arnold Pasha.
(b) Emin Pasha.
(c) Alma Pasha.
(d) Ernie Pasha.
14. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Free Congo.
(b) Congo Free State.
(c) Republic of Congo.
(d) Belgian Congo.
15. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(c) Newspaper articles.
(d) Magazine articles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
2. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
3. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
4. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
5. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)