|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
2. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
3. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a pilot.
(b) As a stow-away.
(c) As a crew member.
(d) As a passenger.
4. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
5. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) War of 1812.
(b) The 100 Years War.
(c) American Civil War.
(d) American Revolutionary War.
6. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Side-winding rifles.
(b) Large caliber rifles.
(c) Boar-shot rifles.
(d) Breech-loading rifles.
7. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
8. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
9. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) French Foreign Legion.
(b) British Army.
(c) Confederate Army.
(d) Union Army.
10. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) One or two.
(b) At least ten.
(c) A dozen.
(d) A few.
11. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) He had a sick family.
(b) There was a bounty on his head.
(c) He got sick.
(d) His time in the Congo ran out.
12. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(b) Lieutenant Colonel.
(c) Lieutenant General.
13. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
14. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(b) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(c) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(d) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
15. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Discover their heritage.
(b) Have contact with their families.
(c) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(d) Given the option of returning to Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
2. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
3. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
4. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
5. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)