|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
2. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Early 1870s.
(b) Early 1860s.
(c) Late 1860s.
(d) Late 1870s.
3. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
4. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
5. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(a) Puerto Rico.
6. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Stanley.
(b) John Edwards.
(c) John Morton.
(d) John Rowlands.
7. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
(a) The Great Divide.
(b) The desert.
(c) The Congo River.
(d) The Nile.
8. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(a) A few.
(b) As many as could get there.
(d) A lot.
9. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
10. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
11. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
12. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
13. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) French Foreign Legion.
(b) Confederate Army.
(c) Union Army.
(d) British Army.
14. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(b) Several dozen.
(c) Several hundred.
15. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Power possession.
(b) Resource possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Human possession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
2. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
3. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
4. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
5. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)