|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(a) Available labor.
(b) Competent to rule themselves.
2. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(b) Middle East.
(d) Far East.
3. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
4. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) French Foreign Legion.
(b) Confederate Army.
(c) British Army.
(d) Union Army.
5. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
6. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
(a) He died shortly thereafter.
(b) He was unable to get back.
(c) His assistance was no longer needed.
(d) He has used up all his supplies.
7. Where was Stanley born?
8. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Elephant tusks.
(b) Ivory rocks.
(c) Balls of ivory.
(d) Processed ivory.
9. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Human possession.
(b) Colonial possession.
(c) Resource possession.
(d) Power possession.
10. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
11. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
(a) Rubber and gold.
(b) Gold and diamonds.
(c) Ivory and diamonds.
(d) Ivory and rubber.
12. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A few.
(b) One or two.
(c) At least ten.
(d) A dozen.
13. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was very handsome.
(b) He was too eccentric.
(c) He was evil.
(d) He had too much power.
14. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Given the option of returning to Africa.
(b) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(c) Discover their heritage.
(d) Have contact with their families.
15. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) African languages.
(b) European languages.
(d) African and European languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
2. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
3. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
4. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
5. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)