|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
(a) White men.
(b) The local chiefs.
(d) The Africans.
2. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) A law degree.
(b) No degree.
(c) An advanced collegiate degree.
(d) A basic literature degree.
3. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
(a) James Gordon Morrow.
(b) James Gordon Edison.
(c) James Gordon Bennett.
(d) James Gordon Madison.
4. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Large caliber rifles.
(b) Boar-shot rifles.
(c) Breech-loading rifles.
(d) Side-winding rifles.
5. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(b) Became a trader.
(c) Leave America.
6. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(c) Far East.
(d) Middle East.
7. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Atlantic Ocean route.
(b) Indian Ocean route.
(c) Pacific Ocean route.
(d) Mediterranean Ocean route.
8. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
(a) Minister and politician.
(b) Minister and doctor.
(c) Minister and historian.
(d) Minister and publisher.
9. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
10. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
11. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
12. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He had too much power.
(b) He was very handsome.
(c) He was too eccentric.
(d) He was evil.
13. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
14. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
15. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
(a) The horrible way the locals treated the Belgians.
(b) The good things Leopold was doing.
(c) The peaceful conditions.
(d) The atrocities he saw.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
3. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
4. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
5. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)