|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) He had a sick family.
(b) There was a bounty on his head.
(c) He got sick.
(d) His time in the Congo ran out.
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Stanley.
(b) John Morton.
(c) John Rowlands.
(d) John Edwards.
3. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
(a) Gold and diamonds.
(b) Ivory and rubber.
(c) Ivory and diamonds.
(d) Rubber and gold.
4. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
5. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
6. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(a) Competent to rule themselves.
(c) Available labor.
7. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
8. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
9. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Given the option of returning to Africa.
(b) Have contact with their families.
(c) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(d) Discover their heritage.
10. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Boar-shot rifles.
(b) Large caliber rifles.
(c) Breech-loading rifles.
(d) Side-winding rifles.
11. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
12. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
13. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was evil.
(b) He was too eccentric.
(c) He had too much power.
(d) He was very handsome.
14. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
15. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(b) As many as could get there.
(c) A few.
(d) A lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
2. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
3. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
4. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
5. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)