|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
2. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
3. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(b) Far East.
(d) Middle East.
4. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Processed ivory.
(b) Balls of ivory.
(c) Ivory rocks.
(d) Elephant tusks.
5. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
6. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) War of 1812.
(b) The 100 Years War.
(c) American Revolutionary War.
(d) American Civil War.
7. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
8. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) Five years.
(b) Over a decade.
(c) 10 years.
(d) A decade and a half.
9. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(a) A lot.
(c) A few.
(d) As many as could get there.
10. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A few.
(b) A dozen.
(c) One or two.
(d) At least ten.
11. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) African languages.
(c) European languages.
(d) African and European languages.
12. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) Several dozen.
(d) Several hundred.
13. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
14. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
(a) Minister and historian.
(b) Minister and doctor.
(c) Minister and publisher.
(d) Minister and politician.
15. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Boar-shot rifles.
(b) Large caliber rifles.
(c) Side-winding rifles.
(d) Breech-loading rifles.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
2. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
3. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
4. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
5. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)