|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Victoria Parry.
(b) Mary Parry.
(c) Kathy Parry.
(d) Betsy Parry.
2. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(b) Given the option of returning to Africa.
(c) Discover their heritage.
(d) Have contact with their families.
3. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
4. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(b) Puerto Rico.
5. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(b) Chicken pox.
(d) Yellow fever.
6. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(c) Old age.
7. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
8. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
9. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Alma Pasha.
(b) Emin Pasha.
(c) Ernie Pasha.
(d) Arnold Pasha.
10. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
11. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
12. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 235 miles.
(b) 230 miles.
(c) 220 miles.
(d) 225 miles.
13. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
14. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Medicine and food.
(b) Paper and books.
(c) Thread and needles.
(d) Brightly-colored cloth.
15. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) Confederate Army.
(b) British Army.
(c) Union Army.
(d) French Foreign Legion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
2. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
5. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)