|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(a) Competent to rule themselves.
(d) Available labor.
2. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was evil.
(b) He was very handsome.
(c) He was too eccentric.
(d) He had too much power.
3. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A wife and children.
(b) A father and his children.
(c) A wife and a mistress.
(d) A mother and wife.
4. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
5. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Chicken pox.
6. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Tens of miles.
(b) A few dozen miles.
(c) A few miles.
(d) Several hundred miles.
7. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
(a) The desert.
(b) The Congo River.
(c) The Nile.
(d) The Great Divide.
8. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
9. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Republic of Congo.
(b) Belgian Congo.
(c) Free Congo.
(d) Congo Free State.
10. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Medicine and food.
(b) Brightly-colored cloth.
(c) Paper and books.
(d) Thread and needles.
11. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
12. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
13. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
14. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
(a) Ivory and rubber.
(b) Gold and diamonds.
(c) Ivory and diamonds.
(d) Rubber and gold.
15. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
(b) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(c) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(d) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
2. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
3. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
4. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
5. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)