|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(b) Lieutenant General.
(d) Lieutenant Colonel.
2. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(b) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(c) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(d) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
3. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Alma Pasha.
(b) Ernie Pasha.
(c) Arnold Pasha.
(d) Emin Pasha.
4. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A dozen.
(b) One or two.
(c) A few.
(d) At least ten.
5. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was evil.
(b) He was very handsome.
(c) He was too eccentric.
(d) He had too much power.
6. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(b) Discover their heritage.
(c) Given the option of returning to Africa.
(d) Have contact with their families.
7. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
8. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
(a) A slavedriver.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A blacksmith.
(d) A boat captain.
9. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
10. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
(a) James Gordon Madison.
(b) James Gordon Morrow.
(c) James Gordon Edison.
(d) James Gordon Bennett.
11. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
12. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
13. Where was Stanley born?
14. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a passenger.
(b) As a crew member.
(c) As a pilot.
(d) As a stow-away.
15. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
2. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
3. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
4. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
5. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)