|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
(b) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(c) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(d) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
2. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
3. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Human development.
(c) Original sin.
4. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
5. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
(a) The atrocities he saw.
(b) The peaceful conditions.
(c) The horrible way the locals treated the Belgians.
(d) The good things Leopold was doing.
6. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Republic of Congo.
(b) Belgian Congo.
(c) Free Congo.
(d) Congo Free State.
7. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) A law degree.
(b) A basic literature degree.
(c) No degree.
(d) An advanced collegiate degree.
8. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(b) The New World.
9. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
10. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A few.
(b) One or two.
(c) At least ten.
(d) A dozen.
11. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
12. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
13. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(c) Magazine articles.
14. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Alma Pasha.
(b) Ernie Pasha.
(c) Arnold Pasha.
(d) Emin Pasha.
15. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) African languages.
(b) European languages.
(d) African and European languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
2. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
3. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
4. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
5. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)