|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Breech-loading rifles.
(b) Boar-shot rifles.
(c) Side-winding rifles.
(d) Large caliber rifles.
2. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
3. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
(b) They were immediately accessible.
(c) The local people were friendlier.
(d) They had more riches.
4. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
5. What did Williams write about, while in the Congo?
(a) The peaceful conditions.
(b) The atrocities he saw.
(c) The horrible way the locals treated the Belgians.
(d) The good things Leopold was doing.
6. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
7. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
(a) Discover their heritage.
(b) Forcibly repatriated to Africa.
(c) Given the option of returning to Africa.
(d) Have contact with their families.
8. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
(a) Minister and politician.
(b) Minister and historian.
(c) Minister and publisher.
(d) Minister and doctor.
9. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
(a) Coal boats.
(b) Row boats.
(d) Sail boats.
10. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) War of 1812.
(b) The 100 Years War.
(c) American Revolutionary War.
(d) American Civil War.
11. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Mary Parry.
(c) Betsy Parry.
(d) Victoria Parry.
12. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
(a) Riverboat officer.
(b) Paddleboat officer.
(c) Cargo officer.
(d) Portage officer.
13. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Atlantic Ocean route.
(b) Pacific Ocean route.
(c) Mediterranean Ocean route.
(d) Indian Ocean route.
14. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
15. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) No degree.
(b) An advanced collegiate degree.
(c) A law degree.
(d) A basic literature degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
2. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
3. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
4. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
5. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)