|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year was the Force Publique established?
2. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Late 1870s.
(b) Late 1860s.
(c) Early 1870s.
(d) Early 1860s.
3. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) No degree.
(b) A law degree.
(c) An advanced collegiate degree.
(d) A basic literature degree.
4. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Free Congo.
(b) Republic of Congo.
(c) Belgian Congo.
(d) Congo Free State.
6. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 225 miles.
(b) 235 miles.
(c) 230 miles.
(d) 220 miles.
7. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Indian Ocean route.
(b) Atlantic Ocean route.
(c) Mediterranean Ocean route.
(d) Pacific Ocean route.
8. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Large caliber rifles.
(b) Boar-shot rifles.
(c) Side-winding rifles.
(d) Breech-loading rifles.
9. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(a) Magazine articles.
(d) Newspaper articles.
10. What jobs did George Washington Williams hold?
(a) Minister and publisher.
(b) Minister and doctor.
(c) Minister and historian.
(d) Minister and politician.
11. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) 10 years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) A decade and a half.
12. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Tens of miles.
(b) A few miles.
(c) Several hundred miles.
(d) A few dozen miles.
13. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
14. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
15. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Arnold Pasha.
(b) Ernie Pasha.
(c) Alma Pasha.
(d) Emin Pasha.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
2. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
3. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
4. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
5. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)