|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
(a) Paid for his passage.
(b) Deserted the ship.
(c) Snuck off the ship.
(d) Became captain of the ship.
2. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) He got sick.
(b) His time in the Congo ran out.
(c) He had a sick family.
(d) There was a bounty on his head.
3. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
4. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
(a) The Africans.
(b) The local chiefs.
(c) White men.
5. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(b) Puerto Rico.
6. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Emin Pasha.
(b) Arnold Pasha.
(c) Alma Pasha.
(d) Ernie Pasha.
7. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(b) Several dozen.
(d) Several hundred.
8. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was evil.
(b) He was very handsome.
(c) He had too much power.
(d) He was too eccentric.
9. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Morton.
(b) John Edwards.
(c) John Stanley.
(d) John Rowlands.
10. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
11. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A wife and a mistress.
(b) A mother and wife.
(c) A wife and children.
(d) A father and his children.
12. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
13. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(c) The New World.
14. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(b) A few.
(c) A lot.
(d) As many as could get there.
15. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
2. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
3. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
4. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
5. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)