|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a pilot.
(b) As a passenger.
(c) As a crew member.
(d) As a stow-away.
2. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Paper and books.
(b) Thread and needles.
(c) Brightly-colored cloth.
(d) Medicine and food.
3. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
4. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) No degree.
(b) A basic literature degree.
(c) An advanced collegiate degree.
(d) A law degree.
5. Where did Stanley go after the Berlin Conference?
(b) Middle East.
(d) Far East.
6. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
7. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
8. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(a) Puerto Rico.
9. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
10. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Several hundred miles.
(b) A few miles.
(c) A few dozen miles.
(d) Tens of miles.
11. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
12. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
13. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
(b) The local people were friendlier.
(c) They had more riches.
(d) They were immediately accessible.
14. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Power possession.
(b) Resource possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Human possession.
15. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Large caliber rifles.
(b) Boar-shot rifles.
(c) Breech-loading rifles.
(d) Side-winding rifles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
2. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
3. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
4. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
5. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)