|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Victoria Parry.
(b) Betsy Parry.
(c) Mary Parry.
(d) Kathy Parry.
2. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Late 1870s.
(b) Early 1870s.
(c) Late 1860s.
(d) Early 1860s.
3. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
4. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Balls of ivory.
(b) Processed ivory.
(c) Elephant tusks.
(d) Ivory rocks.
5. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
6. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
7. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
8. Where was Stanley born?
9. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
(a) Yellow fever.
(c) Chicken pox.
10. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
11. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
12. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Thread and needles.
(b) Paper and books.
(c) Brightly-colored cloth.
(d) Medicine and food.
13. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
14. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) They were immediately accessible.
(b) The local people were friendlier.
(c) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
(d) They had more riches.
15. In what country was Williams commissioned a lieutenant?
(c) Puerto Rico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
2. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
3. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
4. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
5. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)