|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
2. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
3. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Early 1860s.
(b) Late 1860s.
(c) Late 1870s.
(d) Early 1870s.
4. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Paper and books.
(b) Thread and needles.
(c) Brightly-colored cloth.
(d) Medicine and food.
5. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
6. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
7. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 220 miles.
(b) 235 miles.
(c) 230 miles.
(d) 225 miles.
8. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
9. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
10. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Balls of ivory.
(b) Elephant tusks.
(c) Ivory rocks.
(d) Processed ivory.
11. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Human possession.
(b) Resource possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Power possession.
12. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
(b) The Africans.
(c) White men.
(d) The local chiefs.
13. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
14. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
15. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) Confederate Army.
(b) British Army.
(c) French Foreign Legion.
(d) Union Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
2. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
3. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
4. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
5. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)