|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) He had a sick family.
(b) He got sick.
(c) There was a bounty on his head.
(d) His time in the Congo ran out.
2. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
(a) His assistance was no longer needed.
(b) He died shortly thereafter.
(c) He was unable to get back.
(d) He has used up all his supplies.
3. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(b) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
(c) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(d) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
4. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
5. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Free Congo.
(b) Republic of Congo.
(c) Belgian Congo.
(d) Congo Free State.
6. What kind of ivory did Stanley transport out of the Congo?
(a) Ivory rocks.
(b) Elephant tusks.
(c) Balls of ivory.
(d) Processed ivory.
7. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
8. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A mother and wife.
(b) A wife and children.
(c) A father and his children.
(d) A wife and a mistress.
9. What is the name of the publisher that Stanley became involved with?
(a) James Gordon Morrow.
(b) James Gordon Madison.
(c) James Gordon Edison.
(d) James Gordon Bennett.
10. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a crew member.
(b) As a stow-away.
(c) As a pilot.
(d) As a passenger.
11. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(b) The New World.
12. Where was Stanley born?
13. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He had too much power.
(b) He was very handsome.
(c) He was evil.
(d) He was too eccentric.
14. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Victoria Parry.
(b) Mary Parry.
(c) Betsy Parry.
(d) Kathy Parry.
15. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
2. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
5. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)