|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(a) African and European languages.
(b) European languages.
(c) African languages.
2. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Betsy Parry.
(b) Mary Parry.
(c) Kathy Parry.
(d) Victoria Parry.
3. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Ernie Pasha.
(b) Alma Pasha.
(c) Arnold Pasha.
(d) Emin Pasha.
4. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(b) Old age.
5. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
(a) Diogo Cao.
(b) Divala Cao.
(c) Disarro Cao.
(d) Diresus Cao.
6. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Human possession.
(b) Resource possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Power possession.
7. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
8. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
(a) Paddleboat officer.
(b) Portage officer.
(c) Riverboat officer.
(d) Cargo officer.
9. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
10. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
11. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
(a) Late 1860s.
(b) Early 1870s.
(c) Late 1870s.
(d) Early 1860s.
12. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(a) Lieutenant General.
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
13. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
(a) The local chiefs.
(b) The Africans.
(c) White men.
14. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) 10 years.
(b) A decade and a half.
(c) Five years.
(d) Over a decade.
15. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
2. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
3. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
4. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
5. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)