|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(a) The New World.
2. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
(a) Snuck off the ship.
(b) Paid for his passage.
(c) Became captain of the ship.
(d) Deserted the ship.
3. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(d) Old age.
4. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(a) Newspaper articles.
(d) Magazine articles.
5. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) One or two.
(b) A dozen.
(c) At least ten.
(d) A few.
6. What year did King Leopold's control over the Congo begin?
7. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
8. Where was Joseph Conrad born?
9. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(b) Lieutenant General.
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
10. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(a) Became a trader.
(d) Leave America.
11. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
12. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
13. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 230 miles.
(b) 220 miles.
(c) 225 miles.
(d) 235 miles.
14. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(a) Available labor.
(b) Competent to rule themselves.
15. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Republic of Congo.
(b) Free Congo.
(c) Congo Free State.
(d) Belgian Congo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
2. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
3. By what year were most of the coastal areas of Africa claimed as colonies by various European powers?
4. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
5. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)