|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Stanley born?
2. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
3. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) At least ten.
(b) A few.
(c) A dozen.
(d) One or two.
4. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(b) A few.
(c) A lot.
(d) As many as could get there.
5. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(b) Several hundred.
(d) Several dozen.
6. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
7. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
8. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
9. What kind of rifles allowed Leopold's agents in the Congo to establish dominance?
(a) Breech-loading rifles.
(b) Side-winding rifles.
(c) Large caliber rifles.
(d) Boar-shot rifles.
10. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Power possession.
(b) Human possession.
(c) Resource possession.
(d) Colonial possession.
11. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Belgian Congo.
(b) Free Congo.
(c) Congo Free State.
(d) Republic of Congo.
12. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
13. To prevent desertion from Force Publique, how far away were soldiers stationed from their homes?
(a) Tens of miles.
(b) A few dozen miles.
(c) A few miles.
(d) Several hundred miles.
14. How did many Europeans die in Congo?
(a) Old age.
15. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
2. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
3. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
4. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
5. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)