|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) British Army.
(b) Confederate Army.
(c) Union Army.
(d) French Foreign Legion.
2. What did one of Stanley's sick employees compare Stanley to a few weeks before dying?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A boat captain.
(c) A slavedriver.
(d) A lawyer.
3. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
4. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Arnold Pasha.
(b) Alma Pasha.
(c) Ernie Pasha.
(d) Emin Pasha.
5. Where did Leopold get a loan from after exhausting his money?
6. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
7. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
8. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
(c) Several hundred.
(d) Several dozen.
9. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
10. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
(a) Human development.
(b) Original sin.
(d) The Bible.
11. How did Queen Victoria feel about Leopold?
(a) He was evil.
(b) He had too much power.
(c) He was very handsome.
(d) He was too eccentric.
12. Why did most European colonizers focus on Africa's coastal areas?
(a) The coast was cheaper to colonize.
(b) The local people were friendlier.
(c) They were immediately accessible.
(d) They had more riches.
13. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
14. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 235 miles.
(b) 225 miles.
(c) 220 miles.
(d) 230 miles.
15. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(b) Land grants.
(d) Public praise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
2. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
3. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
4. Senator Morgan wanted the Congo to be a colony in order for newly freed slaves to be what?
5. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)