|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(b) Public praise.
(c) Land grants.
2. What was the purpose of Leopold's establishment of international organizations to look after Africa's interests?
(a) To provide employment for Europeans in Africa.
(b) To provide a smokescreen for his activities in Africa.
(c) To provide someone to look out for Africans.
(d) To launder money coming in and out of Africa.
3. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
4. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) No degree.
(b) A basic literature degree.
(c) An advanced collegiate degree.
(d) A law degree.
5. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
6. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
(a) White men.
(c) The local chiefs.
(d) The Africans.
7. Where was Stanley born?
8. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
9. What job did Conrad have in 1980 on the Congo River?
(a) Riverboat officer.
(b) Cargo officer.
(c) Paddleboat officer.
(d) Portage officer.
10. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
11. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Rowlands.
(b) John Edwards.
(c) John Stanley.
(d) John Morton.
12. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
13. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
14. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A wife and children.
(b) A mother and wife.
(c) A father and his children.
(d) A wife and a mistress.
15. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
2. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
3. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
4. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
5. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)