|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
2. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
(a) As many as could get there.
(b) A few.
(d) A lot.
3. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
4. What was the name Henry Morton Stanley was born with?
(a) John Rowlands.
(b) John Morton.
(c) John Stanley.
(d) John Edwards.
5. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
6. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
(a) Sail boats.
(b) Row boats.
(d) Coal boats.
7. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A mother and wife.
(b) A wife and a mistress.
(c) A wife and children.
(d) A father and his children.
8. When Stanley got to America, what did he do?
(a) Paid for his passage.
(b) Became captain of the ship.
(c) Deserted the ship.
(d) Snuck off the ship.
9. Where did Leopold send Henry Shelton Sanford?
10. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
11. Where did Leopold send Gerson Bleichröd?
12. By what year had Williams toured the Congo?
13. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
14. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Victoria Parry.
(b) Kathy Parry.
(c) Betsy Parry.
(d) Mary Parry.
15. What type of possession did Leopold want the Congo as?
(a) Power possession.
(b) Human possession.
(c) Colonial possession.
(d) Resource possession.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Portuguese explorer who sailed along the west coast of Africa in the 1480s?
2. How many black soldiers were in each garrison of Force Publique?
3. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
4. Modern schools traditionally interpret "Heart of Darkness" as being allegorical of what?
5. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)