|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leopold was described as pencil thin and possessing a large what?
2. What language were the treaties with the African chiefs written in?
(b) African and European languages.
(c) African languages.
(d) European languages.
3. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
4. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
5. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
6. When Stanley was paroled as a prisoner during the American Civil War, what did he promptly do after being paroled?
(c) Leave America.
(d) Became a trader.
7. Before being put on slave ships by the Portuguese, what religion were slaves baptized into?
8. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
(c) Land grants.
(d) Public praise.
9. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
10. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Atlantic Ocean route.
(b) Pacific Ocean route.
(c) Indian Ocean route.
(d) Mediterranean Ocean route.
11. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
(a) The Congo River.
(b) The Great Divide.
(c) The desert.
(d) The Nile.
12. At what age did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
13. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
(a) He was unable to get back.
(b) He died shortly thereafter.
(c) His assistance was no longer needed.
(d) He has used up all his supplies.
14. What army did Stanley enlist with during the American Civil War?
(a) British Army.
(b) French Foreign Legion.
(c) Confederate Army.
(d) Union Army.
15. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) At least ten.
(b) A few.
(c) One or two.
(d) A dozen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the fanatical madman in "Heart of Darkness"?
2. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
3. How many Africans attended the Berlin Conference?
4. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
5. What country did Leopold's sister and her husband fail to rule?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)