|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Betsy Parry.
(c) Mary Parry.
(d) Victoria Parry.
2. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) A decade and a half.
(b) 10 years.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) Five years.
3. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
(a) Brightly-colored cloth.
(b) Medicine and food.
(c) Paper and books.
(d) Thread and needles.
4. What year was the Force Publique established?
5. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
(a) St. John's.
(b) St. Nicholas'.
(c) St. Asaph's.
(d) St. Luke's.
6. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel.
(c) Lieutenant General.
7. In what year did Stanley locate Livingstone?
8. What kind of degree did Williams claim to have?
(a) An advanced collegiate degree.
(b) A basic literature degree.
(c) No degree.
(d) A law degree.
9. Where did Joseph Conrad spend his youth?
10. What was the name of the colony that the Congo was annexed to Belgium as in 1908?
(a) Republic of Congo.
(b) Belgian Congo.
(c) Congo Free State.
(d) Free Congo.
11. Who was the chancellor of Germany when Leopold wanted the foreign powers to recognize his colony?
12. Whom did Williams abandon when he traveled to Belgium to learn more of the Congo?
(a) A father and his children.
(b) A wife and children.
(c) A mother and wife.
(d) A wife and a mistress.
13. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(b) Newspaper articles.
(d) Magazine articles.
14. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Indian Ocean route.
(b) Pacific Ocean route.
(c) Mediterranean Ocean route.
(d) Atlantic Ocean route.
15. At what age did Williams tour the Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
2. When Stanley left Zanzibar, what did he traverse?
3. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
4. Who was President in America when Leopold began to have his colony recognized by the foreign powers?
5. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)