|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 220 miles.
(b) 235 miles.
(c) 230 miles.
(d) 225 miles.
2. When Williams was in the Congo, what did he write?
(a) Magazine articles.
(c) Newspaper articles.
3. What were the two major exports from the Congo under Leopold's reign?
(a) Ivory and rubber.
(b) Gold and diamonds.
(c) Rubber and gold.
(d) Ivory and diamonds.
4. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Betsy Parry.
(c) Mary Parry.
(d) Victoria Parry.
5. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(b) Lieutenant General.
(d) Lieutenant Colonel.
6. How long did Conrad spend as a ship's officer in the British merchant marine?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) Five years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) A decade and a half.
7. How did Stanley view the local people in the Congo?
(a) Competent to rule themselves.
(b) Available labor.
8. How old was Leopold when he issued the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
9. When was the Berlin Conference, where Africa was divided between the Europeans, held?
10. What kinds of boats were used on the Congo River above the cataracts?
(b) Row boats.
(c) Sail boats.
(d) Coal boats.
11. When did Leopold II gain the throne of Belgium?
12. Over what route did the Portuguese African slave trade flourish?
(a) Atlantic Ocean route.
(b) Indian Ocean route.
(c) Pacific Ocean route.
(d) Mediterranean Ocean route.
13. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
(a) St. Nicholas'.
(b) St. Asaph's.
(c) St. John's.
(d) St. Luke's.
14. How many white officers led each each garrison of Force Publique?
(a) A dozen.
(b) A few.
(c) One or two.
(d) At least ten.
15. When did Leopold issue the royal decree that declared his colony the Congo Free State?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Stanley become a celebrity for being the first European to explore Africa's interior?
2. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
3. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
4. Who did Leopold want to retain political power in the Congo?
5. What did the treaties Stanley made exchange for all mineral, animal, and wealth rights?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)