|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Conrad have to leave the Congo and return to England?
(a) He had a sick family.
(b) He got sick.
(c) His time in the Congo ran out.
(d) There was a bounty on his head.
2. What was the name of the workhouse Stanley was sent to as a child?
(a) St. Luke's.
(b) St. Nicholas'.
(c) St. Asaph's.
(d) St. John's.
3. How long was the road that Stanley built from the coast to the top of Congo River falls?
(a) 220 miles.
(b) 225 miles.
(c) 230 miles.
(d) 235 miles.
4. Where did the Portuguese transport the slaves?
(c) The New World.
5. Stanley's bizarre route took so long to traverse, that when he arrived to rescue Pasha, what happened?
(a) His assistance was no longer needed.
(b) He has used up all his supplies.
(c) He was unable to get back.
(d) He died shortly thereafter.
6. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a stow-away.
(b) As a crew member.
(c) As a pilot.
(d) As a passenger.
7. What year, after locating Livingstone, did Stanley return to Africa?
8. Who did Leopold send Stanley to rescue after the Berlin Conference?
(a) Alma Pasha.
(b) Emin Pasha.
(c) Ernie Pasha.
(d) Arnold Pasha.
9. What war was George Washington Williams a veteran of?
(a) American Civil War.
(b) War of 1812.
(c) American Revolutionary War.
(d) The 100 Years War.
10. What honorary military rank did Williams receive?
(b) Lieutenant General.
(d) Lieutenant Colonel.
11. What position did Henry Shelton Sanford hold?
12. When Williams left the Congo, where did he go?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
13. Who was Henry Stanley's mother?
(a) Kathy Parry.
(b) Betsy Parry.
(c) Mary Parry.
(d) Victoria Parry.
14. Where did Leopold send Arthur Stevens?
15. Who is the protagonist in "Heart of Darkness"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Stanley is an adopted name for Henry. What was the occupation of the Stanley Henry met in America?
2. What year was the Force Publique established?
3. What American state was Senator John Tyler Morgan from?
4. What was one of the ways Leopold managed Stanley?
5. What country did Leopold grant droit de preference to?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)