|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 18 and 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Casement travel during World War I?
2. What does the text end with recounting?
(a) Congo's current ties to Belgium.
(b) Congo's independence movement.
(c) Congo's economic downfall.
(d) Congo's history of dictators.
3. When was Henry Morton Stanley born?
4. What was the West African Mail?
(a) Illustrated weekly magazine.
(b) Illustrated weekly newsletter.
(c) Illustrated weekly newspaper.
(d) Illustrated weekly postcard.
5. How did Stanley get on board the ship to America?
(a) As a pilot.
(b) As a passenger.
(c) As a stow-away.
(d) As a crew member.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the article's footnote that Marchal read, how many deaths did the Congo suffer during Leopold's reign?
2. A Portuguese explorer was the first European to discover the mouth of which river?
3. Who did Leopold negotiate with when he decided to sell Congo?
4. What disease did Williams contract when he left the Congo?
5. What does Leopold purchase several magazines and newspapers to control?
This section contains 170 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)