Prologue, and Chapters 1, 2, and 3
• King Leopold II of Belgium privately controlled and owned the Congo Free States (Congo) from 1885-1908.
• In 1908, the area was annexed to Belgium and known as the Belgian Congo.
• Leopold used his control to strip the area of wealthy in the form of ivory and rubber.
• The stripping of the wealth was done through forced labor and slave labor of the natives.
• Various people publicized these atrocities and slowly the international community began to pressure Leopold to end his tyranny.
• When Leopold's reign ended and Belgium ruled the area, little changed inside the country.
• The changes inside the country occurred when the ivory and rubber were exhausted.
• Europeans held many bizarre and strange theories about Africa.
• In the 1480s a Portuguese explorer, Diogo Cao, sailed along the west coast of Africa and was the first European to discover the mouth of the Congo River...
This section contains 3,902 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)