|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Kim a letter from the lama?
2. Where does Colonel Creighton accompany Kim?
3. How does Kim's watchdog treat Kim?
4. How does the lama respond to the demand by the spy?
5. How does Kim save Mahbub Ali's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Father Victor receives from the lama offer?
2. How does Kim get a letter off to Mahbub Ali?
3. What does Colonel Creighton do while taking Kim to St. Xavier's and what is the Colonel's plan for Kim?
4. Where does Mookerjee take Kim, and what does the man give Kim?
5. What does Kim learn from Sahib and his servant boy?
6. Why is Kim taken to see Huneefa when Kim is sixteen?
7. What is the main purpose for the spies the British have recruited?
8. Who is Hurree Chunder Mookerjee and what is Mookerjee's response to observing Kim's training?
9. What is Mookerjee's motivation in encountering the spies?
10. What does the lama say is ostensibly his reason for paying for Kim's schooling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Kim, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Kim is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
Kim belongs to the bildungsroman genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the bildungsroman genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a bildungsroman and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)