|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kim do in his Christmas holiday during his third year at school?
2. What types of games do Sahib and his servant play with Kim?
3. What does the lama do after taking ill?
4. Of what do Ali and Sahib convince Creighton when Kim is sixteen?
5. How does Kim save Mahbub Ali's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crisis does Kim go through as he assumes the role of a spy?
2. What does Mahbub Ali say to Kim when he comes to visit?
3. How does Kim spend his next summer and then the Christmas holiday after that?
4. What artwork does the lama show Kim?
5. Where does Mookerjee take Kim, and what does the man give Kim?
6. What does the lama say is ostensibly his reason for paying for Kim's schooling?
7. What does Kim learn from Sahib and his servant boy?
8. What is Mookerjee's motivation in encountering the spies?
9. How does Kim get a letter off to Mahbub Ali?
10. Who is Hurree Chunder Mookerjee and what is Mookerjee's response to observing Kim's training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kim is taken out of school at the age of sixteen to be trained and join a spy network called the Great Game.
Do you think the men who took Kim out of school at sixteen to make him a spy were wrong to do this? Why or why not? Use examples from Kim to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Kim is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
Kim and the lama proceed to the outskirts of Umballa in search of the River, where they accidentally trespass in a farmer's garden. He curses them until he realizes that the lama is a holy man. Kim is angry at the farmer's abuses, but the lama teaches him not to be judgmental.
Discuss the reasons you think the lama told Kim he is angry because Kim is being judgmental. Use examples from Kim to support your response.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)