|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kim think it is difficult to travel in northern India?
2. Who shows Kim a letter from the lama?
3. Where does Colonel Creighton accompany Kim?
4. How does Huneefa disguise Kim?
5. What charm does Huneefa put on Kim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mahbub Ali say to Kim when he comes to visit?
2. How does Kim help a Punjabi farmer when Kim is disguised as a Buddhist monk?
3. What does the letter that Father Victor receives from the lama offer?
4. How does one of the spies ruin the lama's drawing of the Wheel?
5. Where does Mookerjee take Kim, and what does the man give Kim?
6. How does Kim spend his next summer and then the Christmas holiday after that?
7. How does Mookerjee trick the Russian and French spies?
8. What is Mookerjee's motivation in encountering the spies?
9. How do Kim and the lama react differently to being in the Northern lands?
10. Where is Kim sent at the beginning of Chapter 9 per Colonel Creighton's orders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kim is an Irish boy whose father has passed away, and Kim been raised as an Indian by the owner of an opium den.
Discuss the differences between what happens to Kim, as an orphan in India in the late 1800’s and what would happen to Kim as an orphan in America in the present time. Use examples from Kim to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about what they know, and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Rudyard Kipling. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Kipling's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Kipling's probable agenda concerning that idea.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Kim. Are these universal symbols that would have the same meaning in any culture? What other symbols could portray the same idea? Why do you think Kipling chooses the symbols he does?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)