|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Huneefa described?
2. Why is the lama upset?
3. Where did Kim first encounter Colonel Creighton?
4. How does Kim save Mahbub Ali's life?
5. Where does Colonel Creighton accompany Kim?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unspoken agreement do Mahbub Ali and Kim reach when Kim travels with him during summer break from his first year in school?
2. Why is Kim taken to see Huneefa when Kim is sixteen?
3. How does Kim spend his next summer and then the Christmas holiday after that?
4. Who does Kim encounter on the train?
5. What does Kim learn from Sahib and his servant boy?
6. What does the letter that Father Victor receives from the lama offer?
7. What is the main purpose for the spies the British have recruited?
8. How does Mookerjee trick the Russian and French spies?
9. Who is Hurree Chunder Mookerjee and what is Mookerjee's response to observing Kim's training?
10. What does the lama say is ostensibly his reason for paying for Kim's schooling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kim belongs to the bildungsroman genre. Discuss the following:
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the bildungsroman genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a bildungsroman and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Kim and the lama proceed to the outskirts of Umballa in search of the River, where they accidentally trespass in a farmer's garden. He curses them until he realizes that the lama is a holy man. Kim is angry at the farmer's abuses, but the lama teaches him not to be judgmental.
Discuss the reasons you think the lama told Kim he is angry because Kim is being judgmental. Use examples from Kim to support your response.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)