|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kim and the lama encounter at the end of Chapter 2 as they are walking towards a stream?
2. What flag does Kim see that makes him think a vision about him is happening?
3. What does Father Victor say he would give a good deal to be able to do?
4. What does the lama think Kim should do?
5. How does the lama bless those he encounters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kulu?
2. What do Kim and the lama do at the end of Chapter 7?
3. When and where does Kim take place?
4. What happens when Kim and the lama approach Umballa?
5. What does Kim do when he sees the Red Bull, and what happens?
6. What does the lama do when he and Kim enter the railway station?
7. How does Kim react to the farmer's curses, and what does the lama say to Kim about Kim's reaction?
8. What is the significance to Kim of the Red Bull?
9. For what does the Buddhist lama Kim meets search?
10. How does the railway clerk try to cheat the lama concerning the lama's ticket to Umballa, and who helps keep the Lama from being cheated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kim is an Irish boy whose father has passed away, and Kim been raised as an Indian by the owner of an opium den.
Discuss the differences between what happens to Kim, as an orphan in India in the late 1800’s and what would happen to Kim as an orphan in America in the present time. Use examples from Kim to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
An epiphany occurs when a Russian spy rips the lama's Wheel of Life from his hands, which incites the lama to violence.
Explain what is meant by the word epiphany in the above sentence and how that epiphany affects the lama’s life. Use examples from Kim to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why Kim is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)