|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the constable try to convince Kim?
2. About what does Kim brag to the lama?
3. What does the lama call the railway station as he looks at its layout?
4. How had the money-lender suggested he and his wife travel?
5. What is the sole ornament that is on the table in the mess tent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kim come upon while resting along the Grand Trunk Road?
2. How does the farmer on the outskirts of Umballa first respond to Kim and the lama, and what changes the farmer's response?
3. What happens when Kim and the lama approach Umballa?
4. How does Kim react to the farmer's curses, and what does the lama say to Kim about Kim's reaction?
5. Why is the lama travelling alone?
6. How does Kim play a prank on his hosts that night in Umballa?
7. How does the railway clerk try to cheat the lama concerning the lama's ticket to Umballa, and who helps keep the Lama from being cheated?
8. What is Kimball O'Hara's connection to the Red Bull?
9. What does the lama lecture the soldier about and how does the soldier point out an inconsistency in the lama?
10. What does the lama do when he and Kim enter the railway station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the protagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Identify the antagonists of the story and why you believe they are such? Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot? Which, if any, characters are not essential to the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes Kim interesting. Discuss the following:
Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kim. What are his strengths and weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he usually likable? Seldom likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas. Use the same criteria to thoroughly discuss and analyze Ali and Mookerjee.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think Kim would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think Kim fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)