|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the basketball star who died after snorting cocaine?
2. What does Rubin say was in full swing when he returned to Colombia?
3. What is the name of Pablo's mother?
4. Who does Pablo claim is using Lara?
5. Why does Pablo order his men to kill Franklin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colonel Martinez think about Escobar?
2. What toll does the manhunt of Escobar take on Martinez's life?
3. How did Lara's death affect how the Colombian government dealt with the drug trade?
4. Why was Gaviria not on board the plane that Escobar blows up?
5. How does Escobar react to his cousin Gustavo's death?
6. In what way is the Colombian scene in shambles in chapter four?
7. Why can't Mendoza arrange for a high security wall to be built around Escobar's prison?
8. How do the Los Pepes react to Escobar's attack on the bookshop?
9. What does Bowden say happened between March 3rd and August 17th?
10. How does Escobar try to win over Martinez?
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Escobar to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Escobar hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Escobar's ideas about life?
3. How has Escobar's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think Escobar had such a need to be so powerful? How did Escobar build his power? What characteristics do the students think Escobar has that makes him such a good leader? What do the students think Escobar had to sacrifice to become so powerful?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)