|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous figure does Bowden compare Pablo's mustache to?
2. What course did Martinez study in Spain?
3. What is Pablo's drug of choice?
4. Who do Pablo's men kill in 1989?
5. What is the name of the basketball star who died after snorting cocaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Escobar try to win over Martinez?
2. How does President Barco react to Galan's death?
3. What does the author describe as Escobar's adolescent appetites?
4. What does Toft do before he leaves Colombia?
5. Why does Sheehan want to pull American military out of Colombia?
6. How do the PNC eventually kill Pablo?
7. What does Bowden say happened between March 3rd and August 17th?
8. Why does the author claim Jacoby makes such a good spy?
9. How did Gaitán come to prominence in 1948?
10. In what does Pablo express an obsession for education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How does Escobar manipulate the different groups in Colombian society to maintain his power? How does Escobar deal with people that stand in his way? How does the way he deals with people contribute to his downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Colombian and American governments go specifically after Escobar? What suggestions are there that Escobar's death will make no difference to the Colombian drug trade?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)