|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of person does the author say Colombia breeds?
2. What does Flaco mean in Spanish?
3. What is Hugo Martinez's rank in the police force?
4. How did Pablo's enemies try to kill him in January 1988?
5. Who does Pablo think the Americans are more interested in fighting than narcos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pablo do when he realizes that a member of his inner circle must be a spy?
2. How does Mendoza's life change?
3. How does Lara devastate the Colombian drug trade?
4. In what way could the Escobars be described as middle class?
5. What does Toft do before he leaves Colombia?
6. What does Escobar tell the Clinton administration?
7. What rumors cast doubt on the Search Bloc?
8. How does Hermilda react to her son's death?
9. How does Escobar react to his cousin Gustavo's death?
10. What is Centra Spike?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the airline bombing change people's views on Escobar? Why does Escobar think it is necessary to take such extreme measures? Does the bombing contributes to Escobar's downfall?
Essay Topic 2
How important was Gaitan to Colombia? How does his assassination change the situation in Colombia at this point? What would have happened to Colombia if he had stayed alive?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)