|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous figure does Bowden compare Pablo's mustache to?
2. In what state had Lara arranged with the US embassy to live in with her family?
3. How does the author describe Martinez's sense of humor?
4. What member of Pablo's family is kidnapped?
5. What is the name of the man who assassinates Gaitan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Escobar gain respect in the drug world?
2. Describe the scenes after the bookstore bombing.
3. Who are the Los Pepes?
4. Why was Gaviria not on board the plane that Escobar blows up?
5. Why did Escobar kill Franklin?
6. Describe Pablo's upbringing.
7. Why is Escobar's sentence easy while in prison?
8. In what way could the Escobars be described as middle class?
9. What does Bowden say happened between March 3rd and August 17th?
10. How did Gacha die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is America so involved in helping to hunt Escobar? What does the Colombian government think about their involvement? What cultural differences are there between the two countries and how does the author them during the hunt for Escobar?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could it be said that Martinez has respect for Escobar? Does his respect for Escobar help him or it hold him back?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)