|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that print stories from Pablo's drug trafficking past?
2. What did Maria claim the police refused to give her while in custody?
3. What does the American say to himself after he hears forty-four explosions?
4. What does Hugo think would happen to him if he accepted Pablo's bribe?
5. What does the American say Bogota reminds him of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Gaitán come to prominence in 1948?
2. What does Bowden say happened between March 3rd and August 17th?
3. How do the locals react to Pablo's death?
4. How does Mendoza's life change?
5. How does Escobar react to his cousin Gustavo's death?
6. Describe Pablo's time as a car thief.
7. Why does Escobar start shipping cocaine to America?
8. How did Escobar gain respect in the drug world?
9. What does Pablo say is his personal opinion on cocaine?
10. In what way is the Colombian scene in shambles in chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Escobar had such a need to be so powerful? How did Escobar build his power? What characteristics do the students think Escobar has that makes him such a good leader? What do the students think Escobar had to sacrifice to become so powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare American and Colombian culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)