|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Vargas think the bribe is a good thing?
2. What is the name of the hotel the American stays in Bogota?
3. What is the name of the Colonel's oldest son?
4. What is the name of Pablo's favorite singer?
5. What is the name of the village Martinez is from?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what does Pablo express an obsession for education?
2. What does Escobar's wife tell the TV after the police capture her and her son in Argentina?
3. What does Colonel Martinez think about Escobar?
4. What influenced Pablo's decision to become a criminal?
5. How does Hermilda react to her son's death?
6. Describe the scenes after the bookstore bombing.
7. What problems does Escobar face to his business in 1979?
8. What does Toft do before he leaves Colombia?
9. Why did Escobar kill Franklin?
10. Who are the Los Pepes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the airline bombing change people's views on Escobar? Why does Escobar think it is necessary to take such extreme measures? Does the bombing contributes to Escobar's downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Escobar manipulate the different groups in Colombian society to maintain his power? How does Escobar deal with people that stand in his way? How does the way he deals with people contribute to his downfall?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)