|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that print stories from Pablo's drug trafficking past?
2. How does the author describe Martinez's sense of humor?
3. What famous American building does Pablo pose in front of with his son Juan Pablo?
4. What does Bennett want to send to kill the narcos?
5. What does the American say to himself after he hears forty-four explosions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pablo do when he realizes that a member of his inner circle must be a spy?
2. Why does Pablo think the world has a hypocritical stance on drug trafficking?
3. Why does Escobar start shipping cocaine to America?
4. How did Gaitán come to prominence in 1948?
5. How does Escobar like to settle disputes?
6. How does Escobar try to win over Martinez?
7. Describe Pablo's upbringing.
8. How does Escobar kidnap Mendoza?
9. Why does Mendoza decide to go back to Colombia?
10. Describe the scenes after the bookstore bombing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think Escobar had such a need to be so powerful? How did Escobar build his power? What characteristics do the students think Escobar has that makes him such a good leader? What do the students think Escobar had to sacrifice to become so powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Escobar to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the person he is at the end.
1. What did Escobar hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Escobar's ideas about life?
3. How has Escobar's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Escobar escape the authorities for so long? Do you believe it was worth the time, money and lives it took to capture him?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)