|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say Pablo has the gift of doing when in people's company?
2. What was the name of the war that began in 1899?
3. Where had Pablo's mother been visiting on the day of his murder?
4. In what state had Lara arranged with the US embassy to live in with her family?
5. What sport did the young Pedro love to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Escobar kill Franklin?
2. What do photos of Escobar's death show?
3. Why does Pablo think the world has a hypocritical stance on drug trafficking?
4. How does Hermilda react to her son's death?
5. What does Martinez think is Escobar's weakness?
6. What does Escobar tell the authorities when he surrenders in 1991?
7. Who are the Los Pepes?
8. How does Martinez show he is coming to the end of his tether at the end of this section?
9. How do the Los Pepes react to Escobar's attack on the bookshop?
10. What rumors cast doubt on the Search Bloc?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is America so involved in helping to hunt Escobar? What does the Colombian government think about their involvement? What cultural differences are there between the two countries and how does the author them during the hunt for Escobar?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could it be said that Martinez has respect for Escobar? Does his respect for Escobar help him or it hold him back?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)