|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Colonel fear the planes will hit when they fly low over the army base?
2. What sport did the young Pedro love to play?
3. What does Nadaistas mean in English?
4. What is the name of the American drug czar appointed in 1989?
5. What was the name of the war that began in 1899?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Escobar react to his cousin Gustavo's death?
2. How did Gacha die?
3. What does Pablo do when he realizes that a member of his inner circle must be a spy?
4. What does Escobar's wife tell the TV after the police capture her and her son in Argentina?
5. How does Lara devastate the Colombian drug trade?
6. Why does Busby want the American military to stay in Colombian?
7. How does Pablo get a bomb aboard the commercial airline?
8. How does Escobar like to settle disputes?
9. In what way is the Colombian scene in shambles in chapter four?
10. What does Escobar tell the Clinton administration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think Escobar had such a need to be so powerful? How did Escobar build his power? What characteristics do the students think Escobar has that makes him such a good leader? What do the students think Escobar had to sacrifice to become so powerful?
Essay Topic 3
How does the airline bombing change people's views on Escobar? Why does Escobar think it is necessary to take such extreme measures? Does the bombing contributes to Escobar's downfall?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)