|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Martinez's sense of humor?
2. What was Martinez's position in the small town of Perreda?
3. What is Pablo's pet name for his wife?
4. Whose problem does Martinez say cocaine is?
5. What course did Martinez study in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pablo get a bomb aboard the commercial airline?
2. How does Martinez show he is coming to the end of his tether at the end of this section?
3. Describe the scenes after the bookstore bombing.
4. In what way could the Escobars be described as middle class?
5. Why does Mendoza decide to go back to Colombia?
6. What does Escobar tell the authorities when he surrenders in 1991?
7. Why is Escobar's sentence easy while in prison?
8. How does Escobar try to win over Martinez?
9. How did Gaitán come to prominence in 1948?
10. What do photos of Escobar's death show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Escobar rise to power? How does Escobar keep his power once he is there?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the masses and Escobar's family view Pablo Escobar as a revolutionary rather than a criminal? How difficult would it have been for Escobar to help the masses without breaking the law?
Essay Topic 3
How does Escobar manipulate the different groups in Colombian society to maintain his power? How does Escobar deal with people that stand in his way? How does the way he deals with people contribute to his downfall?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)