|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of Pablo's family is kidnapped?
2. Why does Pablo order his men to kill Franklin?
3. What the Medellin Civica call Pablo's victory?
4. What is the name of the US. ambassador of Colombia in 1987?
5. Who do Pablo's men kill in 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way could the Escobars be described as middle class?
2. How do the DEA gather evidence of Escobar's activities?
3. Why is Escobar's sentence easy while in prison?
4. Why does Mendoza decide to go back to Colombia?
5. Why is the author doubtful that Escobar attacked the police just before he died?
6. Describe Pablo's time as a car thief.
7. Describe Pablo's upbringing.
8. In what way is the Colombian scene in shambles in chapter four?
9. How does Escobar like to settle disputes?
10. How does President Barco react to Galan's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Clinton and Bush administrations approach the hunt for Escobar differently? What criticisms could be directed at both administrations?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Colombian and American governments go specifically after Escobar? What suggestions are there that Escobar's death will make no difference to the Colombian drug trade?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)