|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marks Gaitan out as an outsider?
2. What is the name of the American drug czar appointed in 1989?
3. Whose problem does Martinez say cocaine is?
4. What is the name of the village Martinez is from?
5. What did people begin referring to Pablo as after he killed the Conservative landowner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author doubtful that Escobar attacked the police just before he died?
2. How does President Barco react to Galan's death?
3. What does Escobar's wife tell the TV after the police capture her and her son in Argentina?
4. Why does Sheehan want to pull American military out of Colombia?
5. What was the US Executive Order 12333?
6. Why does the author claim Jacoby makes such a good spy?
7. What does Martinez think is Escobar's weakness?
8. What problems does Escobar face to his business in 1979?
9. Why is Escobar's sentence easy while in prison?
10. What does the author describe as Escobar's adolescent appetites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Martinez identify with Escobar? How does this help Martinez in his quest to find Escobar?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Clinton and Bush administrations approach the hunt for Escobar differently? What criticisms could be directed at both administrations?
Essay Topic 3
Compare American and Colombian culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)