|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call the mission the colonel has been given?
2. What is the name of the Colonel's oldest son?
3. What famous figure does Bowden compare Pablo's mustache to?
4. What does Bennett want to send to kill the narcos?
5. Who do Pablo's men kill in 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author describe as Escobar's adolescent appetites?
2. How do the PNC eventually kill Pablo?
3. What influenced Pablo's decision to become a criminal?
4. Why was Gaviria not on board the plane that Escobar blows up?
5. Why does Sheehan want to pull American military out of Colombia?
6. How is Pablo raising money for his war against the state?
7. Why does Busby want the American military to stay in Colombian?
8. How did Lara's death affect how the Colombian government dealt with the drug trade?
9. How does President Barco react to Galan's death?
10. In what does Pablo express an obsession for education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What contributed to Escobar's downfall? How could he have continued without creating such problems with the American and Colombian governments?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Colombian and American governments go specifically after Escobar? What suggestions are there that Escobar's death will make no difference to the Colombian drug trade?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)