|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say stalks Colombia like a biblical plague?
2. What is Pablo's pet name for his wife?
3. What is the name of the man who assassinates Gaitan?
4. What sport did the young Pedro love to play?
5. Who does Pablo think the Americans are more interested in fighting than narcos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Escobar like to settle disputes?
2. How is Pablo raising money for his war against the state?
3. How does Martinez show he is coming to the end of his tether at the end of this section?
4. What do photos of Escobar's death show?
5. How do the PNC eventually kill Pablo?
6. What does Escobar tell the authorities when he surrenders in 1991?
7. Describe the scenes after the bookstore bombing.
8. What is Centra Spike?
9. What does Escobar tell the Clinton administration?
10. What does Colonel Martinez think about Escobar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Escobar manipulate the different groups in Colombian society to maintain his power? How does Escobar deal with people that stand in his way? How does the way he deals with people contribute to his downfall?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)