|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did people begin referring to Pablo as after he killed the Conservative landowner?
2. Who do Pablo's men kill in 1989?
3. What kind of shoes does Pablo like to wear?
4. What does Flaco mean in Spanish?
5. What was Martinez's position in the small town of Perreda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colonel Martinez think about Escobar?
2. How does Pablo manage to stay out of prison?
3. What does Bowden say happened between March 3rd and August 17th?
4. Why did Escobar kill Franklin?
5. In what way is the Medellin cartel in shambles at the beginning of chapter five?
6. Why was Gaviria not on board the plane that Escobar blows up?
7. How did Escobar gain respect in the drug world?
8. How is Pablo raising money for his war against the state?
9. What problems does Escobar face to his business in 1979?
10. Why is Escobar's sentence easy while in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
What contributed to Escobar's downfall? How could he have continued without creating such problems with the American and Colombian governments?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Colombian and American governments go specifically after Escobar? What suggestions are there that Escobar's death will make no difference to the Colombian drug trade?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)