Prologue, Chapter 1
• The prologue opens with Pablo's murder. His mother arrives back to the house to find police surrounding the area and claiming they have killed her son. She doesn't believe them until she sees his body. She feels his death could cause violence.
• During Pablo's funeral, the locals push away the coffin bearers, rip open Pablo's coffin and touch his face.
• Bowden starts the book claiming in 1948 Bogota, the capital of Colombia, was one of the most exciting places in the world. Colombia had just joined the Ninth Inter-American Conference and for the first time had a voice beyond South America.
• A politician called Gaitan becomes hugely popular among the Colombian masses, but makes powerful enemies. His assassination in 1948 leads to a decade of violence.
• Pablo Emilio Escobar Gaviria is born in 1949 to Abel and Hermilda. They are a middle class family and live in a town...
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)