Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
2. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
3. What does Tom say about the battle the day before?
4. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
5. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
Essay Topic 1
As noted in The Killer Angels, each side of the war had a different opinion of the reason for that war.
1) What reason does each side give for the reason for the Civil War?
2) How can each side morally justify the war, given their reason for it?
3) Given the differing opinions on the reason for the war, do you think the war could have somehow been avoided altogether?
Make sure you support your ideas with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Be sure to include:
1) the origin of the phrase "Killer Angels"
2) the difference of opinion that Chamberlain has with both his father and Kilrain as to man's inherent qualities.
3) the ways that phrase could be interpreted in terms of the battle and in relation to people in general
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The Killer Angels opens with a spy gathering information about the Union troops and bringing the information to Longstreet. Throughout the novel, communication of information plays a key role in how the battles are fought, whether it is the communication of orders, or information about a change in situation, or a lack of information about the terrain. Using specific examples from the text, describe how communication is carried out, how it affects the battle, and how various skirmishes or the battle as a whole might have had a different outcome if modern communication devices had been available.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)