|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
2. Why does Longstreet tell Hood not to attack to the right?
3. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
4. What is the outcome of Lee's discussion with Longstreet?
5. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several minor characters that appear throughout The Killer Angels, with varying degrees of influence on the action or on other characters. Choose three of the following minor characters and describe how the author characterizes them, and what influence they have on either other characters or the action of the novel.
1) Tom Chamberlain
3) John Buford
4) Jubal Early
5) J.E.B. Stuart
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Be sure to include:
1) the origin of the phrase "Killer Angels"
2) the difference of opinion that Chamberlain has with both his father and Kilrain as to man's inherent qualities.
3) the ways that phrase could be interpreted in terms of the battle and in relation to people in general
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Some mention is made of the foreign soldiers traveling with the Confederacy. Fremantle, an English soldier, often has conversations with Longstreet and the other soldiers. Although the British are against slavery as Fremantle is, he identifies more with the Southern fighters. Why? What is the basis for his opinion of them? What role, if any, does he play in the army? Use the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)