|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Armistead get his men's attention when he goes to help Kemper?
2. Why does Fremantle say the English have not entered the war?
3. What misconception, in Longstreet's opinion, does Fremantle have of Lee?
4. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
5. How does Lee generally handle a battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet several times has the urge to talk to Lee about his tactics, and about Stuart, and yet he suppresses the urge. Why? Do you think that is the right thing to do?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
3. How does Pickett's mood in "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet," contrast with his mood in "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet?"
4. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what does Hood want Longstreet to give him permission to do? What is Longstreet's response? What do you think the outcome of that decision will be?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the result of Vincent telling Chamberlain that his men cannot withdraw under any circumstances?
6. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
7. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
8. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," compare and contrast Pickett's anticipation of battle with Longstreet's.
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why does Lee think the choice of Ewell as a commander of a corps is a mistake?
10. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what is ironic about where Chamberlain and his men are being sent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Killer Angels is friendship, whether it is friendship that grows out of fighting together or friendships that are tested by the war. Choose two of the following three pairs and discuss how their friendship is portrayed in the novel and what affect it had on their lives in the war.
1) Chamberlain and Kilrain
2) Armistead and Hancock
3) Lee and Longstreet
Essay Topic 2
Each of the section of The Killer Angels opens with a fragment from the song "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
1) What is the significance of these quoted fragments?
2) How do these fragments set up the action to follow?
3) Is the use of this song to frame the novel successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
George Pickett is very eager for battle. When he got his orders for charging the center of the Union line, he could barely rein in his anticipation.
1) How is George Pickett generally characterized throughout the novel? Draw from the text.
2) Describe his actions leading up to the final battle, and what his mindset seems to be before the charge begins.
3) Describe his attitude and mindset after the battle.
4) Do you think his initial anticipation would have been different if he had known the outcome ahead of time? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)