|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
2. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
3. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
4. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
5. What action does Chamberlain take that haunts him afterward?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what does Hood want Longstreet to give him permission to do? What is Longstreet's response? What do you think the outcome of that decision will be?
2. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
3. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
4. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet," why does Longstreet think he can no longer lead? How does Lee respond?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why does Lee think the choice of Ewell as a commander of a corps is a mistake?
6. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
7. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
8. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," how is Hood described? What does Fremantle try to sense about Hood when he meets him?
9. Meade has been referred to many times throughout the novel, and is referred to again in "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain." What is your impression of him? Support your answer.
10. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 4, Armistead," what are Armistead's dying thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme in The Killer Angels is friendship, whether it is friendship that grows out of fighting together or friendships that are tested by the war. Choose two of the following three pairs and discuss how their friendship is portrayed in the novel and what affect it had on their lives in the war.
1) Chamberlain and Kilrain
2) Armistead and Hancock
3) Lee and Longstreet
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Be sure to include:
1) the origin of the phrase "Killer Angels"
2) the difference of opinion that Chamberlain has with both his father and Kilrain as to man's inherent qualities.
3) the ways that phrase could be interpreted in terms of the battle and in relation to people in general
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One theme in The Killer Angels is bravery, whether in battle or of personal convictions. Discuss episodes of bravery in the novel and how those actions of bravery affected, or did not affect, the outcome of the battle.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)