|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
2. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
3. What does Tom say about the battle the day before?
4. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
5. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
Essay Topic 1
As noted in The Killer Angels, each side of the war had a different opinion of the reason for that war.
1) What reason does each side give for the reason for the Civil War?
2) How can each side morally justify the war, given their reason for it?
3) Given the differing opinions on the reason for the war, do you think the war could have somehow been avoided altogether?
Make sure you support your ideas with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Some mention is made of the foreign soldiers traveling with the Confederacy. Fremantle, an English soldier, often has conversations with Longstreet and the other soldiers. Although the British are against slavery as Fremantle is, he identifies more with the Southern fighters. Why? What is the basis for his opinion of them? What role, if any, does he play in the army? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The Killer Angels is told from various characters' perspectives. This use of multiple perspectives helps give the reader a more well-rounded understanding of the people and events. Choose a character and "remove" it from the novel.
1) How would your understanding of the people or events change with the loss of that character?
2) If that character had not been involved in the battle, how might the battle have changed?
Support your ideas with citations from the text.
This section contains 1,777 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)