|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lee and Longstreet differ on battle strategy?
2. What has happened to Heth?
3. What is "The Cause" for Longstreet?
4. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
5. How does Lee calm his worries?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," describe how the battle starts.
2. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the significance of Dan Butterfield?
4. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
5. Why is Lee so concerned about Longstreet's well-being?
6. Why have the 120 men from the Second Maine mutinied?
7. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," why does Buford go from grinning and a sense of confidence to concern and weariness?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author of The Killer Angels changes his writing style several times throughout the novel.
1) Describe how the style changes from passage to passage. Cite specific examples.
2) How do these changes in style affect the reader's understanding of the events or the characters?
3) Is this change in style successful or distracting?
Support your answers by citing specific examples within the text.
Essay Topic 2
In any battle, the landscape on which it is fought plays a major role. How does the landscape around Gettysburg affect the battle? What were the advantages and challenges to that landscape and how does each side make the most of the advantages or try to overcome the challenges?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Be sure to include:
1) the origin of the phrase "Killer Angels"
2) the difference of opinion that Chamberlain has with both his father and Kilrain as to man's inherent qualities.
3) the ways that phrase could be interpreted in terms of the battle and in relation to people in general
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)