|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
2. Why does Lee depend on Longstreet?
3. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
4. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
5. Once the Union soldiers start retreating, what is Lee's goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
2. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
3. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
5. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet describes Jackson to Fremantle. How would you characterize Jackson?
6. How do Longstreet and Lee differ in their strategies?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
8. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As noted in The Killer Angels, each side of the war had a different opinion of the reason for that war.
1) What reason does each side give for the reason for the Civil War?
2) How can each side morally justify the war, given their reason for it?
3) Given the differing opinions on the reason for the war, do you think the war could have somehow been avoided altogether?
Make sure you support your ideas with citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
There are several minor characters that appear throughout The Killer Angels, with varying degrees of influence on the action or on other characters. Choose three of the following minor characters and describe how the author characterizes them, and what influence they have on either other characters or the action of the novel.
1) Tom Chamberlain
3) John Buford
4) Jubal Early
5) J.E.B. Stuart
Essay Topic 3
The Killer Angels is told from various characters' perspectives. This use of multiple perspectives helps give the reader a more well-rounded understanding of the people and events. Choose a character and "remove" it from the novel.
1) How would your understanding of the people or events change with the loss of that character?
2) If that character had not been involved in the battle, how might the battle have changed?
Support your ideas with citations from the text.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)