|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been Chamberlain's job before joining the army?
2. What response do Ewell and Early have to Longstreet's idea of moving the troops in between Meade and Washington?
3. What continues to frustrate Lee as the battle progresses?
4. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
5. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how is Ewell described? What kind of commander do you think he is?
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
4. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
5. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the significance of Dan Butterfield?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
9. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet describes Jackson to Fremantle. How would you characterize Jackson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In any battle, the landscape on which it is fought plays a major role. How does the landscape around Gettysburg affect the battle? What were the advantages and challenges to that landscape and how does each side make the most of the advantages or try to overcome the challenges?
Essay Topic 2
Some mention is made of the foreign soldiers traveling with the Confederacy. Fremantle, an English soldier, often has conversations with Longstreet and the other soldiers. Although the British are against slavery as Fremantle is, he identifies more with the Southern fighters. Why? What is the basis for his opinion of them? What role, if any, does he play in the army? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
There are several minor characters that appear throughout The Killer Angels, with varying degrees of influence on the action or on other characters. Choose three of the following minor characters and describe how the author characterizes them, and what influence they have on either other characters or the action of the novel.
1) Tom Chamberlain
3) John Buford
4) Jubal Early
5) J.E.B. Stuart
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)