|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
2. Who is Armistead's friend in the Union army?
3. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
4. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
5. How is Gettysburg best described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
2. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the significance of Dan Butterfield?
4. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
5. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
6. Describe the relationship between Lee and Longstreet in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy."
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," why does Buford go from grinning and a sense of confidence to concern and weariness?
8. What does the arrival of John Reynolds in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford" signify for Buford?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," what is the mood of the Confederate army? Of the Union army?
10. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although General Lee plays a large role in The Killer Angels, General Meade of the Union army seems to play a rather minor role. Drawing from the text, what are the opinions of both the Union soldiers and the Confederate soldiers regarding General Meade? Were those opinions justified given General Meade's actions relating to the battle? How much of an influence did General Meade have on the outcome of the battle?
Essay Topic 2
There are several minor characters that appear throughout The Killer Angels, with varying degrees of influence on the action or on other characters. Choose three of the following minor characters and describe how the author characterizes them, and what influence they have on either other characters or the action of the novel.
1) Tom Chamberlain
3) John Buford
4) Jubal Early
5) J.E.B. Stuart
Essay Topic 3
In any battle, the landscape on which it is fought plays a major role. How does the landscape around Gettysburg affect the battle? What were the advantages and challenges to that landscape and how does each side make the most of the advantages or try to overcome the challenges?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)