|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
2. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
3. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
4. What response do Ewell and Early have to Longstreet's idea of moving the troops in between Meade and Washington?
5. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
3. Why is Lee so concerned about Longstreet's well-being?
4. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
5. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
6. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," what is the mood of the Confederate army? Of the Union army?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
8. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," how does the setting foreshadow the upcoming battle?
10. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the novel's title. Be sure to include:
1) the origin of the phrase "Killer Angels"
2) the difference of opinion that Chamberlain has with both his father and Kilrain as to man's inherent qualities.
3) the ways that phrase could be interpreted in terms of the battle and in relation to people in general
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character from The Killer Angels that you particularly identify with or admire. Using specific citations from the text to support your ideas.
1) Explain why you identify with or admire that character.
2) Describe how that character represents your personal beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
In any battle, the landscape on which it is fought plays a major role. How does the landscape around Gettysburg affect the battle? What were the advantages and challenges to that landscape and how does each side make the most of the advantages or try to overcome the challenges?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)