|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
2. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
(b) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
(c) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
(d) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
3. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(b) Confederate factories
(d) The Union army
4. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
(a) His former homeland, Ireland.
(b) The last time he saw Winfield Hancock.
(c) The last time he saw his wife.
(d) The first girl he ever loved.
5. How does Pickett respond to his orders?
(a) With some hesitation
(b) Soberly and somberly
(c) With great enthusiasm
(d) With excitement, but some doubts
Short Answer Questions
1. What question continues to occasionally plague Chamberlain?
2. Now that nearly half of his regiment is gone, what does Rice tell Chamberlain to do?
3. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
4. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
5. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what is ironic about where Chamberlain and his men are being sent?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
3. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the result of Vincent telling Chamberlain that his men cannot withdraw under any circumstances?
4. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what difficulty arises for Longstreet that results in the attack not being effective?
5. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
6. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
7. Meade has been referred to many times throughout the novel, and is referred to again in "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain." What is your impression of him? Support your answer.
8. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," compare and contrast Pickett's anticipation of battle with Longstreet's.
9. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 4, Armistead," what are Armistead's dying thoughts?
10. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," how do Longstreet and Lee differ on their views of the day's battle?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)