|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Armistead going?
(a) His fear of being labeled a coward.
(b) His love for his home and his country.
(c) His desire to see his wife again.
(d) His belief that the attack will be a success.
2. What action does Chamberlain take that haunts him afterward?
(a) He sends his men to scavenge ammunition from the dead.
(b) He shoots an enemy officer at point-blank range.
(c) He sends Tom into a gap to fill it.
(d) He leaves Kilrain wounded on the battlefield.
3. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
(b) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
(c) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
(d) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
4. Now that nearly half of his regiment is gone, what does Rice tell Chamberlain to do?
(a) Occupy the big, wooded hill.
(b) Join his men to Sickles' regiment.
(c) Move his remaining men out of harm's way for the time being.
(d) Take care of the wounded.
5. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
(a) They are both intellectuals.
(b) They both have a brother serving under them.
(c) They both are 34 years old.
(d) They are both from Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
2. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
3. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
4. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
5. What misconception, in Longstreet's opinion, does Fremantle have of Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," how is Hood described? What does Fremantle try to sense about Hood when he meets him?
3. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet several times has the urge to talk to Lee about his tactics, and about Stuart, and yet he suppresses the urge. Why? Do you think that is the right thing to do?
4. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
6. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," how do Longstreet and Lee differ on their views of the day's battle?
7. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the result of Vincent telling Chamberlain that his men cannot withdraw under any circumstances?
8. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what difficulty arises for Longstreet that results in the attack not being effective?
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
10. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how does Stuart respond to Lee's reprimand? Do you think Lee is right to reprimand him rather than court martial him?
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)