|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He tries to help another slave escape.
(b) He assaults an officer.
(c) He asks directions from a white woman.
(d) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
2. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He gets shot in the armpit.
(b) He gets shot in the leg.
(c) He falls from a horse.
(d) He is almost instantly killed.
3. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will concentrate on the left.
(b) They will retreat before noon.
(c) They will attack the right flank again.
(d) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
4. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
(a) His disagreement with Lee and whether or not to just follow orders.
(b) The loss of Stonewall Jackson.
(c) Losing faith in the abilities of his men.
(d) Fighting a war that is about slavery.
5. What misconception, in Longstreet's opinion, does Fremantle have of Lee?
(a) He is as good a leader as any Englishman.
(b) He is brilliant at getting men to follow him.
(c) He moves too quickly.
(d) He is a devious tactician.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fremantle hope for after the war is over?
2. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
3. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
4. When the South seceded, why did Lee give up his position in the U.S. military?
5. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 4, Armistead," what are Armistead's dying thoughts?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the result of Vincent telling Chamberlain that his men cannot withdraw under any circumstances?
3. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet," why does Longstreet think he can no longer lead? How does Lee respond?
4. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
6. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
7. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
8. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why does Lee think the choice of Ewell as a commander of a corps is a mistake?
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
10. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," compare and contrast Pickett's anticipation of battle with Longstreet's.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)