|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
(a) A regiment of Union soldiers that had come around behind them.
(b) Their own cannons pointed at them.
(c) The sight of the flag of Virginia still waving.
(d) The sight of Lee, bareheaded, on horseback.
2. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
(a) They sustain heavy casualties, yet they carry on.
(b) They are instantly stopped in their tracks.
(c) After a short time, they turn and run as a group.
(d) Against the odds, they begin to win.
3. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
(b) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
(c) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
(d) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
4. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) Kilrain has died.
(b) The rations can't get through.
(c) Meade wants to see him.
(d) The hospital has been shut down.
5. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
2. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
3. Why does Longstreet say Lee should put Hill in command instead of Longstreet?
4. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
5. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Friday, July 3, Chapter 4, Armistead," why does Garnett decide to go against orders and ride his horse into battle?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
3. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
4. Meade has been referred to many times throughout the novel, and is referred to again in "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain." What is your impression of him? Support your answer.
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," how do Longstreet and Lee differ on their views of the day's battle?
6. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
7. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what does Hood want Longstreet to give him permission to do? What is Longstreet's response? What do you think the outcome of that decision will be?
8. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how does Stuart respond to Lee's reprimand? Do you think Lee is right to reprimand him rather than court martial him?
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," how is Hood described? What does Fremantle try to sense about Hood when he meets him?
10. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)