|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
(a) To the right end of the line
(b) Off the battlefield entirely, to rest
(c) Back to the left, where they had been
(d) To the center of the line
2. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
(a) He will have orders from Washington not to attack.
(b) He is General Meade.
(c) He has just arrived on the field and will not understand the position.
(d) He will be reluctant to move without his full force.
3. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
4. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
(a) The first girl he ever loved.
(b) His former homeland, Ireland.
(c) The last time he saw Winfield Hancock.
(d) The last time he saw his wife.
5. Why does Fremantle say the English have not entered the war?
(a) They believe the North will win in the end.
(b) They are engaged in their own war with France.
(c) They will not fight to support slavery.
(d) They don't have the resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lee blame for the attack's failure?
2. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
3. Where does Tom get the coffee that he brings to Chamberlain?
4. Which of these countries is NOT represented at breakfast?
5. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," how do Longstreet and Lee differ on their views of the day's battle?
2. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
3. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what difficulty arises for Longstreet that results in the attack not being effective?
4. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
6. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what does Hood want Longstreet to give him permission to do? What is Longstreet's response? What do you think the outcome of that decision will be?
7. Earlier, in "The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," Chamberlain remembers Ames saying that to lead men, "You must care for your men's welfare. You must show physical courage." Do you think Chamberlain exemplifies these qualities? Explain, including reference to "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain,".
8. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," compare and contrast Pickett's anticipation of battle with Longstreet's.
9. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet," why does Longstreet think he can no longer lead? How does Lee respond?
10. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 4, Armistead," what are Armistead's dying thoughts?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)