|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He gets shot in the armpit.
(b) He gets shot in the leg.
(c) He falls from a horse.
(d) He is almost instantly killed.
2. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
(a) He wants to know who those officers are.
(b) He offers to resign from his post.
(c) He protests his innocence.
(d) He bows his head in shame.
3. What concerns Armistead about this battle?
(a) He may not survive to see his wife again.
(b) He may have to face his old friend, Hancock.
(c) He believes Lee was wrong to attack the middle.
(d) He is too old to fight anymore.
4. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(b) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
(c) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(d) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
5. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(c) The Union army
(d) Confederate factories
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Armistead going?
2. Which of these is NOT troubling Longstreet before this battle?
3. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
4. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
5. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what difficulty arises for Longstreet that results in the attack not being effective?
2. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," compare and contrast Pickett's anticipation of battle with Longstreet's.
3. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet," why does Longstreet think he can no longer lead? How does Lee respond?
4. In "Friday, July 3, Chapter 4, Armistead," why does Garnett decide to go against orders and ride his horse into battle?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why does Lee think the choice of Ewell as a commander of a corps is a mistake?
6. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
7. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet several times has the urge to talk to Lee about his tactics, and about Stuart, and yet he suppresses the urge. Why? Do you think that is the right thing to do?
8. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how does Stuart respond to Lee's reprimand? Do you think Lee is right to reprimand him rather than court martial him?
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," how is Hood described? What does Fremantle try to sense about Hood when he meets him?
10. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)