|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
(b) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
(c) Show a white flag and surrender.
(d) Fix bayonets and charge.
2. What does Longstreet think he should do but cannot?
(a) Lead the attack from the front line.
(b) Find a place to get some rest.
(c) Send scouts for additional ammunition.
(d) Resign his position.
3. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
(b) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(c) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
(d) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
4. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
(a) Removes his troops from battle.
(b) Swings his men around the Confederate troops to the south.
(c) Engages in battle without permission.
(d) Moves his troops down off the hill.
5. On whose eagerness for battle is Lee depending?
(a) Ewell and Early
(b) Stuart and Pickett
(c) Longstreet and Rodes
(d) McLaws and Hood
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
2. What does Pitzer tell Chamberlain about Meade?
3. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
4. What keeps Armistead going?
5. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Kilrain think the war is about?
2. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 4, Armistead," what are Armistead's dying thoughts?
3. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
4. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how does Stuart respond to Lee's reprimand? Do you think Lee is right to reprimand him rather than court martial him?
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
6. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what is ironic about where Chamberlain and his men are being sent?
7. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
8. In "Friday, July 3,1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain," the word "dreamyly" appears several times. Explain its significance.
9. Earlier, in "The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," Chamberlain remembers Ames saying that to lead men, "You must care for your men's welfare. You must show physical courage." Do you think Chamberlain exemplifies these qualities? Explain, including reference to "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain,".
10. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 3, Longstreet," what difficulty arises for Longstreet that results in the attack not being effective?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)