|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
(a) Richard Garnett
(b) George Pickett
(c) Lewis Armistead
(d) Arthur Fremantle
2. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
(a) His 3000 men hold off Longstreet's 25,000 for six hours.
(b) He beats a Rebel officer in hand-to-hand combat.
(c) He creates a rockslide, taking out an entire Rebel division.
(d) His men capture the most Rebel prisoners in the war so far.
3. What has happened to Heth?
(a) He has been killed.
(b) He has been wounded in the head.
(c) His troops have been captured.
(d) He has been captured by the enemy.
4. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
5. What part of his body troubles Lee?
(a) His stomach
(b) His heart
(c) His throat
(d) His lungs
Short Answer Questions
1. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
2. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
3. How is Gettysburg best described?
4. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
5. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," what do you think it symbolizes when Buford cannot find the white angel but sees instead the Rebel fires burning?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," how does the setting foreshadow the upcoming battle?
4. What does the arrival of John Reynolds in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford" signify for Buford?
5. From what is the book's title derived?
6. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
7. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
8. Why have the 120 men from the Second Maine mutinied?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
10. Describe the relationship between Lee and Longstreet in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy."
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)