|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is the book's title derived?
(a) A line of Edgar Allan Poe's.
(b) A letter Chamberlain receives from his father.
(c) A speech Chamberlain made at school.
(d) A sermon from a visiting preacher.
2. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(b) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
(c) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(d) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
3. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) Gen. Meade
(c) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(d) Col. Vincent
4. Buford is in need of more _____________.
5. How does Chamberlain get the mutineers' attention?
(a) Blowing a bugle
(b) Speaking softly
(c) Firing a shot in the air
(d) Waving a flag
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
2. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
3. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
4. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
5. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
2. Why have the 120 men from the Second Maine mutinied?
3. Compare and contrast Chamberlain and Kilrain as described in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 2, Chamberlain."
4. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
5. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," how does the setting foreshadow the upcoming battle?
6. How do Longstreet and Lee differ in their strategies?
7. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 6, Chamberlain," Chamberlain is once again surprised at his reaction to a situation. What surprises him about his reaction to the battle?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
9. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain," what does Chamberlain's encounter with the escaped slave reveal to him?
10. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)