|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ewell appear to Lee?
(a) As a scared rabbit
(b) As a hopping bird
(c) As a wounded wolf
(d) As a caged tiger
2. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(b) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(c) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(d) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
3. Whose presence does Lee feel during his meeting with Ewell, Early and Rodes?
(a) Stonewall Jackson's
(b) The first man he killed in combat
(c) John Reynolds'
(d) His son, Rooney's
4. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
(a) The scream of wounded men
(b) The Rebel yell
(c) The scream of wounded horses
(d) The scream of incoming cannon fire
5. What news does Trimble bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell was eager to take the hill but Early would not allow it.
(b) There was no possible way for Ewell to take the hill.
(c) Lee's order to take the hill arrived too late.
(d) Ewell could have easily taken the hill but hesitated too long.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
2. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
3. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
4. From what is the book's title derived?
5. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how is Ewell described? What kind of commander do you think he is?
2. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have little faith that reinforcements will arrive in time?
5. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," what is the mood of the Confederate army? Of the Union army?
6. Why have the 120 men from the Second Maine mutinied?
7. How would you characterize Buford as a soldier?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what is the difference between Fremantle's view of the war and Kemper's view of the war?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)