|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
(a) His brother is on the side of the enemy.
(b) His father loses the family fortune through drink and gambling.
(c) Captured once, he gave away important information to the enemy.
(d) Stonewall Jackson accuses him of cowardice.
2. How does Lee calm his worries?
(a) He prays quickly.
(b) He confers with Longstreet.
(c) He breathes deeply.
(d) He takes a drink of whisky.
3. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
(a) If he survives, he might make a soldier one day.
(b) He is not a great horseman, but he knows how to choose ground.
(c) He's the best calvary leader in the army.
(d) He's the best-dressed soldier in the Union army.
4. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
(a) He had developed a new type of warfare.
(b) He was the leading expert on hand-to-hand combat.
(c) He had written a manual on the rifle.
(d) He had never lost his cool in battle.
5. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
(a) He has great forbears.
(b) He is a gentleman.
(c) He is as good as an English general.
(d) He is overly virtuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the way Buford has his cavalry soldiers fight?
2. Which of these is the prevailing opinion held by others about General Meade?
3. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
4. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
5. Why did the mutineers mutiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
3. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
5. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
7. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
8. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
9. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," why does Buford go from grinning and a sense of confidence to concern and weariness?
10. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," how does the setting foreshadow the upcoming battle?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)