|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Buford's main concern?
(a) He himself will be killed in the gunfire.
(b) His men will not be able to hold out long enough for help to arrive.
(c) His men will run out of ammunition and have to fight with bayonets.
(d) The ground they are defending is in a poor position.
2. What is "The Cause" for Longstreet?
(a) States' rights
(b) Southern aristocracy
3. Buford looks for ___________.
(b) Food for his men
(c) Additional ammunition
(d) Relief from his command
4. How does Lee calm his worries?
(a) He breathes deeply.
(b) He prays quickly.
(c) He confers with Longstreet.
(d) He takes a drink of whisky.
5. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) Col. Vincent
(b) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(c) Gen. Meade
(d) John Reynolds
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession had the spy had before that helps him in his current position?
2. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
3. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
4. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
5. Buford is in need of more _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
2. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," provides information on the dispute at Union headquarters. What is the nature of the controversy?
4. Why is Lee so concerned about Longstreet's well-being?
5. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
6. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the significance of Dan Butterfield?
8. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
10. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)