|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lee calm his worries?
(a) He takes a drink of whisky.
(b) He confers with Longstreet.
(c) He breathes deeply.
(d) He prays quickly.
2. What is different about the way Buford has his cavalry soldiers fight?
(a) They fight on foot, not on horseback.
(b) They form a circle and surround the enemy.
(c) They fight in civilian clothes, not in uniform.
(d) They use bows and arrows.
3. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
(a) Take him out of the cavalry and put him in the infantry.
(b) Reproach him.
(c) Court-martial him.
(d) Demote him to private.
4. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
(a) Burning wood
(b) Cigar smoke
(c) Fresh-dug earth
(d) Cooking meat
5. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
(a) To go to Lee.
(b) To move the troops to Gettysburg.
(c) To contact J.E.B. Stuart to get the cavalry to Longstreet's headquarters.
(d) To send another scout out to confirm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chamberlain get the mutineers' attention?
2. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
3. What had been Chamberlain's job before joining the army?
4. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
5. Why did the mutineers mutiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," why does Buford go from grinning and a sense of confidence to concern and weariness?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what is the difference between Fremantle's view of the war and Kemper's view of the war?
4. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
5. Describe the relationship between Lee and Longstreet in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy."
6. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
7. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
8. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have little faith that reinforcements will arrive in time?
10. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)