|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of relationship do Lee and Longstreet have?
(a) Longstreet is Lee's son-in-law.
(b) Lee admires Longstreet but Longstreet thinks Lee is too old for the job.
(c) They used to be very close until they had a disagreement over strategy.
(d) They are very close although Lee is very formal and Longstreet doesn't speak much.
2. Who arrives at headquarters?
3. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
(a) John Reynolds'
(b) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's
(c) James Longstreet's
(d) Robert E. Lee's
4. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
(a) Eating spoiled meat.
(b) Sharing eating utensils.
(c) Eating too many cherries.
(d) Drinking unboiled water.
5. From what is the book's title derived?
(a) A speech Chamberlain made at school.
(b) A letter Chamberlain receives from his father.
(c) A sermon from a visiting preacher.
(d) A line of Edgar Allan Poe's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
2. What has happened to Heth?
3. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
4. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
5. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," what is the mood of the Confederate army? Of the Union army?
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what is the difference between Fremantle's view of the war and Kemper's view of the war?
5. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," what do you think it symbolizes when Buford cannot find the white angel but sees instead the Rebel fires burning?
6. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
8. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
9. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," provides information on the dispute at Union headquarters. What is the nature of the controversy?
10. How do Longstreet and Lee differ in their strategies?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)