|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
(a) John Reynolds'
(b) James Longstreet's
(c) Robert E. Lee's
(d) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's
2. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(b) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(c) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(d) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
3. Why does Sorrel not believe the spy?
(a) The spy has given them false information in the past.
(b) There would have been word earlier if his information were true.
(c) Reports from Stuart contradict the spy's information.
(d) Another spy gave different information.
4. Why does Longstreet stay up as late as possible?
(a) To explain strategy to Fremantle.
(b) To study the battle plans carefully.
(c) To await orders from Lee.
(d) To avoid thinking about his children.
5. Who is Buford initially facing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
2. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
3. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
4. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
5. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lee so concerned about Longstreet's well-being?
2. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
4. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," describe how the battle starts.
5. Once the enemy starts running, in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what does Longstreet suggest? How does Lee respond?
6. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," how does the setting foreshadow the upcoming battle?
7. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
8. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
9. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
10. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)