|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Kilrain only a private?
(a) He had picked a fight with an officer.
(b) He had refused promotion several times.
(c) He had stolen a horse.
(d) He had only joined the army a few weeks earlier.
2. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(b) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
(c) Lee has been killed in battle.
(d) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
3. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
(a) It is the first time Buford is happy to see the appearance of higher command.
(b) Buford is disappointed that Reynolds is taking command.
(c) Buford is more frightened of Reynolds than of Heth.
(d) Buford is angry that it has taken Reynolds so long to respond.
4. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A neat trim man
(b) A gentleman
(c) A friend
(d) A dandy
5. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
2. From what is the book's title derived?
3. What response do Ewell and Early have to Longstreet's idea of moving the troops in between Meade and Washington?
4. What is Reynolds bringing with him?
5. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what is the book's title derived?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
3. Compare and contrast Chamberlain and Kilrain as described in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 2, Chamberlain."
4. How would you characterize Buford as a soldier?
5. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet describes Jackson to Fremantle. How would you characterize Jackson?
7. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
8. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
9. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)