|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Pickett notorious?
(a) Playing practical jokes on his fellow officers.
(b) Giving nicknames to the soldiers under his command.
(c) Finishing last in his class at West Point.
(d) Getting in fights after drinking too much.
2. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
(a) To contact J.E.B. Stuart to get the cavalry to Longstreet's headquarters.
(b) To move the troops to Gettysburg.
(c) To send another scout out to confirm.
(d) To go to Lee.
3. What news does Trimble bring to Lee?
(a) There was no possible way for Ewell to take the hill.
(b) Lee's order to take the hill arrived too late.
(c) Ewell was eager to take the hill but Early would not allow it.
(d) Ewell could have easily taken the hill but hesitated too long.
4. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
(a) Lee has turned -- it's the main body of the Rebel army.
(b) The battle will take place outside of town.
(c) They went to the wrong place by mistake.
(d) The Rebels are scared to face Union soldiers.
5. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
(a) It is well-organized, and victory is certain.
(b) It is happening beyond his control.
(c) It is haphazard, doomed to failure.
(d) It is just as he planned.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Buford initially facing?
2. What does Longstreet want Lee to do now that the Union army is retreating?
3. To whom does Buford send a message regarding the Rebel troops?
4. How is Gettysburg best described?
5. What does Longstreet think could lose the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
2. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
4. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," describe how the battle starts.
5. From what is the book's title derived?
6. How would you characterize the friendship between Kilrain and Chamberlain?
7. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain," what is the significance of Dan Butterfield?
9. Why have the 120 men from the Second Maine mutinied?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)