|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What memory suddenly strikes Longstreet?
(a) The death of his children
(b) The death of his father
(c) His first battle in Indian territory
(d) His wedding day
2. Buford is in need of more _____________.
3. How does Chamberlain get the mutineers' attention?
(a) Blowing a bugle
(b) Waving a flag
(c) Firing a shot in the air
(d) Speaking softly
4. Pickett concerned about ___________.
(a) Being placed last in line in an important battle.
(b) Losing too many men to continue fighting.
(c) How to get letters to his fiancee in the fastest manner.
(d) His honor if the Confederates lose this battle.
5. Why does Armistead say Lee will not use a defensive strategy?
(a) A defensive strategy has not worked to this time in American warfare.
(b) He is too proud.
(c) He is too angry at the Union army to refrain from attacking.
(d) He does not think it is a sound strategy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
2. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
3. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
4. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
5. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 1, Chamberlain," what does Tom say about the bayonets?
2. In "Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 2, Longstreet," why does Longstreet say the assault will be especially hard on Armistead?
3. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
4. Describe the relationship between Lee and Longstreet in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy."
5. In "Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 1, Fremantle," describe Fremantle's thoughts toward the Southerners.
6. How do Longstreet and Lee differ in their strategies?
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
9. In "Friday, July 3, Chapter 4, Armistead," why does Garnett decide to go against orders and ride his horse into battle?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)