|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
(a) Burning wood
(b) Fresh-dug earth
(c) Cigar smoke
(d) Cooking meat
2. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
(a) A tree full of crows.
(b) A white stone angel with arms outstretched.
(c) A gate that is hanging off its hinges.
(d) A gravestone with his family name on it.
3. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
(a) Was absolutely necessary.
(b) Should have happened much earlier.
(c) Will be difficult, but the South will eventually succeed.
(d) Should not take the offense when the enemy outnumbers you.
4. What response do Ewell and Early have to Longstreet's idea of moving the troops in between Meade and Washington?
(a) They think it should be followed immediately.
(b) They think it bears consideration.
(c) They think it is the mark of Longstreet's cowardice.
(d) They think it would hurt morale.
5. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A gentleman
(b) A neat trim man
(c) A friend
(d) A dandy
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is the prevailing opinion held by others about General Meade?
2. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
3. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
4. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
5. What is Lee waiting for at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," what is the mood of the Confederate army? Of the Union army?
4. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," what do you think it symbolizes when Buford cannot find the white angel but sees instead the Rebel fires burning?
5. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," provides information on the dispute at Union headquarters. What is the nature of the controversy?
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
7. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
8. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
9. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
10. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have little faith that reinforcements will arrive in time?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)