|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lee hear as he and Longstreet begin to ride?
(b) Galloping horses
(d) The Rebel yell
2. What is the first question Chamberlain has for the mutineers?
(a) Why did you mutiny?
(b) When did you last eat?
(c) Where are you from?
(d) How many of you will fight?
3. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
(a) He has more troops, yet the Union seems to be winning already.
(b) His health is preventing him from getting close to the action.
(c) His officers are not following his orders.
(d) He has still heard nothing from Stuart.
4. What kind of relationship do Lee and Longstreet have?
(a) Lee admires Longstreet but Longstreet thinks Lee is too old for the job.
(b) They are very close although Lee is very formal and Longstreet doesn't speak much.
(c) They used to be very close until they had a disagreement over strategy.
(d) Longstreet is Lee's son-in-law.
5. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
(a) You never know who on the enemy side might be an old friend.
(b) To get his attention to discuss a surrender.
(c) To find out what rank the officer is.
(d) To signal the start of the battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Gettysburg best described?
2. Why did the mutineers mutiny?
3. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
4. Which of these is NOT a description of Stonewall Jackson as given by Longstreet to Fremantle?
5. What disagreement does Buford encounter upon arriving at headquarters?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
2. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," how is Ewell described? What kind of commander do you think he is?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
5. How would you characterize Buford as a soldier?
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," provides information on the dispute at Union headquarters. What is the nature of the controversy?
7. Describe the situation at the end of "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee."
8. Compare and contrast Chamberlain and Kilrain as described in "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 2, Chamberlain."
9. What does the arrival of John Reynolds in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford" signify for Buford?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)