|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
(a) He will have a good view from the cupola.
(b) He could quickly get extra ammunition to the troops from there.
(c) His orders arre to use a brick building as his headquarters.
(d) The thick walls will protect him from the gunfire.
2. Why does Sorrel not believe the spy?
(a) Reports from Stuart contradict the spy's information.
(b) Another spy gave different information.
(c) There would have been word earlier if his information were true.
(d) The spy has given them false information in the past.
3. What news does the spy have for Longstreet?
(a) Gettysburg has been invaded.
(b) The Union Army is on the move.
(c) Confederate troops have been defeated at Harrisburg.
(d) John Reynolds plans to attack Richmond.
4. Buford looks for ___________.
(a) Relief from his command
(b) Food for his men
(c) Additional ammunition
5. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
(a) The scream of wounded horses
(b) The scream of incoming cannon fire
(c) The Rebel yell
(d) The scream of wounded men
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
2. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
3. How does Chamberlain say this war is different from other wars?
4. Why does Longstreet stay up as late as possible?
5. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
2. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
3. What does the arrival of John Reynolds in "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford" signify for Buford?
4. From what is the book's title derived?
5. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
6. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
7. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what is the difference between Fremantle's view of the war and Kemper's view of the war?
8. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford," describe how the battle starts.
9. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 3, Buford," why does Buford have any hope of holding out against such a large opponent?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)