|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at headquarters?
2. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
(b) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
(c) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
(d) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
3. What does Lee tell Taylor to do with the blind horse?
(a) Shoot it.
(b) Release it.
(c) Add it to the cavalry's horses.
(d) Return it to its rightful owner.
4. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
(b) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(c) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(d) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
5. How does Lee handle Ewell's failure?
(a) He warns Ewell to be more decisive in the future or face court-martial.
(b) He makes no mention of it.
(c) He tells Ewell he won a victory, though it might have been a greater victory.
(d) He tells Ewell he is very disappointed in him and relieves him of his command.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is the book's title derived?
2. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
3. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
4. What part of his body troubles Lee?
5. Why does Lee think there is an opportunity here?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
2. Do you think Reynolds is a good commander? Why or why not?
3. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
4. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why are Sorrel, Longstreet and Lee hesitant to believe the spy's information?
5. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," Longstreet describes Jackson to Fremantle. How would you characterize Jackson?
6. Describe how Longstreet appears to other soldiers.
7. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," what doubts does Lee have about some of his men that he tries to quiet within himself? What might this demonstrate about Lee?
8. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
9. How would you characterize Lee's approach to civilians?
10. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee," why does Lee think "God has decreed a fight here?"
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)