|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chamberlain get the mutineers' attention?
(a) Blowing a bugle
(b) Speaking softly
(c) Firing a shot in the air
(d) Waving a flag
2. What news does the spy have for Longstreet?
(a) Gettysburg has been invaded.
(b) Confederate troops have been defeated at Harrisburg.
(c) John Reynolds plans to attack Richmond.
(d) The Union Army is on the move.
3. How is Gettysburg best described?
(a) The headquarters of the entire Union army.
(b) A small town in the Pennsylvania countryside.
(c) A strategically important port town.
(d) The second largest city in Pennsylvania.
4. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
5. What sight appears to Longstreet to look like masses of fat white spiders?
(a) Chewed bits of paper littering the road
(b) The tattered remnants of several brigades' flags
(c) Piles of severed limbs in the darkness
(d) The tents gathered on the low ground in front of him
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession had the spy had before that helps him in his current position?
2. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
3. Why does Gibbon not want Buford to go into headquarters?
4. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
5. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 5, Longstreet," what does Fremantle say about Lee? How are Fremantle and Lee similar in their approach to warfare?
2. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 4, Longstreet," what does Longstreet's lack of interest in poker represent?
3. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee," why is Trimble upset with Ewell?
4. Based on his interaction with the mutineers, how would you characterize Chamberlain's leadership?
5. Describe George Pickett's appearance.
6. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 7, Buford," provides information on the dispute at Union headquarters. What is the nature of the controversy?
7. In "Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy," why does Lee think the change in Union command from Hooker to Meade is to the Confederates' advantage?
8. Why is Lee so concerned about Longstreet's well-being?
9. In "Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 1, Lee," what does Lee have to feel guilty about?
10. How would you characterize Buford as a soldier?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)