|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He assaults an officer.
(b) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
(c) He tries to help another slave escape.
(d) He asks directions from a white woman.
2. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
(b) They will concentrate on the left.
(c) They will attack the right flank again.
(d) They will retreat before noon.
3. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
(a) Force him to go to the hospital tent.
(b) Give him his own horse to ride.
(c) Detail an aide to him to help him walk.
(d) Order him not to make the charge.
4. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
(a) They sustain heavy casualties, yet they carry on.
(b) Against the odds, they begin to win.
(c) They are instantly stopped in their tracks.
(d) After a short time, they turn and run as a group.
5. What question continues to occasionally plague Chamberlain?
(a) What is this war really about?
(b) What is more important, his duty to his men or his duty to his country?
(c) How could one man take up arms against another?
(d) What if it is he who is wrong?
6. What does Fremantle think of democracy?
(a) It is an experiment that will ultimately fail.
(b) It should be brought to England.
(c) It is a noble idea.
(d) It will stand the test of time and spread throughout the world.
7. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
(a) He is General Meade.
(b) He will have orders from Washington not to attack.
(c) He has just arrived on the field and will not understand the position.
(d) He will be reluctant to move without his full force.
8. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
(a) New horses
(b) Medals of Honor
(c) New uniforms
9. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(a) The Union army
(c) Confederate factories
10. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(b) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
(c) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
(d) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
11. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
(a) Off the battlefield entirely, to rest
(b) To the center of the line
(c) Back to the left, where they had been
(d) To the right end of the line
12. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
(a) The instant feeling of brotherhood
(b) The similarity between them
(c) His own feelings of revulsion
(d) The slave's articulateness
13. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
(b) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
(c) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
(d) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
14. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for advising against a frontal assault?
(a) An attack would be uphill over open ground.
(b) The enemy has plenty of artillery.
(c) His men will refuse.
(d) The enemy is well entrenched.
15. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He charges on horseback, alone.
(c) He runs to the rear.
(d) He sends Tom to the front line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Armistead about this battle?
2. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
3. How does Lee generally handle a battle?
4. What does Chamberlain think will happen if the South wins?
5. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)