|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
(a) The heavy casualties his regiment suffered.
(b) Kilrain's wound taking him off the field.
(c) Getting wounded in the foot.
(d) Using Tom to plug the hole in the line.
2. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
(a) Against the odds, they begin to win.
(b) After a short time, they turn and run as a group.
(c) They sustain heavy casualties, yet they carry on.
(d) They are instantly stopped in their tracks.
3. What action does Chamberlain take that haunts him afterward?
(a) He sends his men to scavenge ammunition from the dead.
(b) He sends Tom into a gap to fill it.
(c) He leaves Kilrain wounded on the battlefield.
(d) He shoots an enemy officer at point-blank range.
4. What does Fremantle hope for after the war is over?
(a) The South will rejoin England.
(b) The destruction of the Northern government.
(c) An English victory over France.
(d) A position in the Confederate government.
5. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
(b) They will retreat before noon.
(c) They will attack the right flank again.
(d) They will concentrate on the left.
6. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
(b) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(c) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(d) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
7. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
(b) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
(c) Fix bayonets and charge.
(d) Show a white flag and surrender.
8. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
(a) It is a very good position and they can hold it for quite a while.
(b) It is an OK position, but with a little power, the Rebels will overtake them.
(c) One side of it is very weak.
(d) They would be better off finding another site altogether.
9. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
(a) They would be better off under the command of someone else.
(b) Those who remain are the best of the best.
(c) They deserve recognition for what they accomplished the day before.
(d) Another battle like the one the day before, and the regiment will be gone.
10. How does Lee think one wins victories?
(a) By knowing one's enemy better than one's friends.
(b) By attacking with courage and with faith.
(c) By knowing when to attack and when to retreat.
(d) By coming up with clever strategies.
11. What does Longstreet contemplate when he realizes the battle is lost?
(a) Changing sides and fighting for the North.
(b) Finding Lee and yelling at him.
(c) Going home and leaving the war behind.
(d) Committing suicide by walking toward the enemy.
12. What keeps Armistead going?
(a) His desire to see his wife again.
(b) His love for his home and his country.
(c) His fear of being labeled a coward.
(d) His belief that the attack will be a success.
13. What is Armistead's fear at the end?
(a) That he will die without seeing Hancock.
(b) That Mira Hancock will get receive word that both Armistead and Hancock have been killed.
(c) That he will lose honor for not having accomplished his task.
(d) That he will be punished eternally for his part in this war.
14. What difficulty faces Longstreet?
(a) Not knowing the area well, he's forced to turn his troops around and lead a counter-march.
(b) His horse lames himself, and Longstreet has to find another one.
(c) He cannot focus on the battle because he keeps thinking about his dead children.
(d) His men lose confidence in his leadership and refuse to fight.
15. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
(b) New uniforms
(c) Medals of Honor
(d) New horses
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
2. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
3. Where does Tom get the coffee that he brings to Chamberlain?
4. Why does Sykes want to see Chamberlain?
5. How does Pickett respond to his orders?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)