Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
(a) He charges on horseback, alone.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He sends Tom to the front line.
(d) He runs to the rear.
2. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
(a) Keep his men hidden behind rocks to surprise the enemy.
(b) Hold as long as he can but preserve his men.
(c) Send frequent messages to Vincent updating him on the progress of the battle.
(d) Not withdraw under any circumstances.
3. What does Tom say about the battle the day before?
(a) The bayonets are very effective -- he saw lots of men killed by them.
(b) Many of the men cannot bring themselves to use the bayonets.
(c) He had no time to be afraid during the battle.
(d) Chamberlain should have given a different command.
4. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) Kilrain has died.
(b) The hospital has been shut down.
(c) The rations can't get through.
(d) Meade wants to see him.
5. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(a) Ewell and Early
(b) Pickett and Hood
6. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
(a) It is a very good position and they can hold it for quite a while.
(b) One side of it is very weak.
(c) They would be better off finding another site altogether.
(d) It is an OK position, but with a little power, the Rebels will overtake them.
7. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
(a) His disagreement with Lee and whether or not to just follow orders.
(b) The loss of Stonewall Jackson.
(c) Losing faith in the abilities of his men.
(d) Fighting a war that is about slavery.
8. What action does Chamberlain take that haunts him afterward?
(a) He leaves Kilrain wounded on the battlefield.
(b) He shoots an enemy officer at point-blank range.
(c) He sends his men to scavenge ammunition from the dead.
(d) He sends Tom into a gap to fill it.
9. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(b) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
(c) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(d) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
10. What is the outcome of Lee's discussion with Longstreet?
(a) The attack at the center will go ahead.
(b) The attack will move to the right.
(c) The attack will move to the left.
(d) They will attack both the left and the right simultaneously.
11. Which of these countries is NOT represented at breakfast?
12. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for advising against a frontal assault?
(a) An attack would be uphill over open ground.
(b) The enemy has plenty of artillery.
(c) The enemy is well entrenched.
(d) His men will refuse.
13. What misconception, in Longstreet's opinion, does Fremantle have of Lee?
(a) He is brilliant at getting men to follow him.
(b) He is as good a leader as any Englishman.
(c) He moves too quickly.
(d) He is a devious tactician.
14. What does Fremantle think of democracy?
(a) It will stand the test of time and spread throughout the world.
(b) It should be brought to England.
(c) It is a noble idea.
(d) It is an experiment that will ultimately fail.
15. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(b) Confederate factories
(c) The Union army
Short Answer Questions
1. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
2. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
3. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
4. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
5. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)