|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Armistead's fear at the end?
(a) That he will die without seeing Hancock.
(b) That he will be punished eternally for his part in this war.
(c) That he will lose honor for not having accomplished his task.
(d) That Mira Hancock will get receive word that both Armistead and Hancock have been killed.
2. Why does Sykes want to see Chamberlain?
(a) To make sure he and his men had enough food.
(b) To compliment him on his leadership the day before.
(c) To inquire after his casualties.
(d) To promote him to a new command.
3. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
(a) He has no cause and he cannot just fight for the soldiers.
(b) His men will not follow him if he shows a shred of doubt.
(c) He will be demoted if he does not show Lee proper support.
(d) His habit of speaking his mind will be his political downfall.
4. What does Longstreet contemplate when he realizes the battle is lost?
(a) Changing sides and fighting for the North.
(b) Finding Lee and yelling at him.
(c) Going home and leaving the war behind.
(d) Committing suicide by walking toward the enemy.
5. Why won't Longstreet send support to Pickett when he asks for it?
(a) If Pickett had obeyed orders, he would not need support.
(b) There is no support to send.
(c) There is no way to get the men to where Pickett is.
(d) Pickett's division is doing better than anyone else's.
6. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
(b) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(c) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(d) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
7. How does Armistead get his men's attention when he goes to help Kemper?
(a) Puts his hat on top of his uplifted sword.
(b) Shoots his gun into the air.
(c) Blows a bugle call.
(d) Waves a flag in the air.
8. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
(a) The heavy casualties his regiment suffered.
(b) Getting wounded in the foot.
(c) Kilrain's wound taking him off the field.
(d) Using Tom to plug the hole in the line.
9. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
(a) Engages in battle without permission.
(b) Removes his troops from battle.
(c) Swings his men around the Confederate troops to the south.
(d) Moves his troops down off the hill.
10. Now that nearly half of his regiment is gone, what does Rice tell Chamberlain to do?
(a) Occupy the big, wooded hill.
(b) Move his remaining men out of harm's way for the time being.
(c) Take care of the wounded.
(d) Join his men to Sickles' regiment.
11. What concerns Armistead about this battle?
(a) He believes Lee was wrong to attack the middle.
(b) He may not survive to see his wife again.
(c) He is too old to fight anymore.
(d) He may have to face his old friend, Hancock.
12. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(a) Pickett and Hood
(b) Ewell and Early
13. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
(a) It is a very good position and they can hold it for quite a while.
(b) They would be better off finding another site altogether.
(c) One side of it is very weak.
(d) It is an OK position, but with a little power, the Rebels will overtake them.
14. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
(a) The last time he saw his wife.
(b) The first girl he ever loved.
(c) His former homeland, Ireland.
(d) The last time he saw Winfield Hancock.
15. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
(a) Give him his own horse to ride.
(b) Force him to go to the hospital tent.
(c) Detail an aide to him to help him walk.
(d) Order him not to make the charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
2. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
3. Why does Longstreet say Lee should put Hill in command instead of Longstreet?
4. Who does Lee blame for the attack's failure?
5. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)