|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will attack the right flank again.
(b) They will concentrate on the left.
(c) They will retreat before noon.
(d) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
2. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(c) Ewell and Early
(d) Pickett and Hood
3. Why does Longstreet say Lee should put Hill in command instead of Longstreet?
(a) The men are mostly Hill's.
(b) Hill earned the right with his victory the day before.
(c) Longstreet has come down with the old soldier's disease.
(d) Hill is better at this kind of assault.
4. What question continues to occasionally plague Chamberlain?
(a) What is more important, his duty to his men or his duty to his country?
(b) How could one man take up arms against another?
(c) What if it is he who is wrong?
(d) What is this war really about?
5. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
6. Why won't Longstreet send support to Pickett when he asks for it?
(a) If Pickett had obeyed orders, he would not need support.
(b) There is no way to get the men to where Pickett is.
(c) Pickett's division is doing better than anyone else's.
(d) There is no support to send.
7. Why does Longstreet tell Hood not to attack to the right?
(a) He does not want to go against Lee again.
(b) He knows the enemy is reforming for just such an attack.
(c) He wants Hood to stay where he is as a buffer between Longstreet and the enemy.
(d) He thinks an attack on the right will fail.
8. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
(a) To the center of the line
(b) Back to the left, where they had been
(c) Off the battlefield entirely, to rest
(d) To the right end of the line
9. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(a) Confederate factories
(c) The Union army
10. Which of these is NOT troubling Longstreet before this battle?
(a) He breaks his vow to the U.S. military.
(b) He believes a defensive strategy is the best option.
(c) He is concerned they will not get needed supplies from Virginia.
(d) He is fighting men he once commanded.
11. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
(a) He wants to know who those officers are.
(b) He bows his head in shame.
(c) He protests his innocence.
(d) He offers to resign from his post.
12. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
(a) One side of it is very weak.
(b) They would be better off finding another site altogether.
(c) It is a very good position and they can hold it for quite a while.
(d) It is an OK position, but with a little power, the Rebels will overtake them.
13. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He sends Tom to the front line.
(c) He runs to the rear.
(d) He charges on horseback, alone.
14. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
(b) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
(c) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
(d) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
15. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
(a) Those who remain are the best of the best.
(b) Another battle like the one the day before, and the regiment will be gone.
(c) They deserve recognition for what they accomplished the day before.
(d) They would be better off under the command of someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
2. Where does Tom get the coffee that he brings to Chamberlain?
3. Who does Lee blame for the attack's failure?
4. What does Fremantle think the war is really about?
5. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)