|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
2. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
(a) Off the battlefield entirely, to rest
(b) To the right end of the line
(c) To the center of the line
(d) Back to the left, where they had been
3. What question continues to occasionally plague Chamberlain?
(a) What if it is he who is wrong?
(b) How could one man take up arms against another?
(c) What is this war really about?
(d) What is more important, his duty to his men or his duty to his country?
4. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
(a) They both are 34 years old.
(b) They are both intellectuals.
(c) They both have a brother serving under them.
(d) They are both from Maine.
5. On whose eagerness for battle is Lee depending?
(a) Stuart and Pickett
(b) Ewell and Early
(c) McLaws and Hood
(d) Longstreet and Rodes
6. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
(a) The last time he saw his wife.
(b) His former homeland, Ireland.
(c) The last time he saw Winfield Hancock.
(d) The first girl he ever loved.
7. Why won't Longstreet send support to Pickett when he asks for it?
(a) Pickett's division is doing better than anyone else's.
(b) There is no way to get the men to where Pickett is.
(c) If Pickett had obeyed orders, he would not need support.
(d) There is no support to send.
8. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
9. What misconception, in Longstreet's opinion, does Fremantle have of Lee?
(a) He is brilliant at getting men to follow him.
(b) He is a devious tactician.
(c) He moves too quickly.
(d) He is as good a leader as any Englishman.
10. What concerns Armistead about this battle?
(a) He believes Lee was wrong to attack the middle.
(b) He may not survive to see his wife again.
(c) He is too old to fight anymore.
(d) He may have to face his old friend, Hancock.
11. What does Fremantle think of democracy?
(a) It is a noble idea.
(b) It is an experiment that will ultimately fail.
(c) It will stand the test of time and spread throughout the world.
(d) It should be brought to England.
12. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(a) Confederate factories
(d) The Union army
13. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
(a) The sight of Lee, bareheaded, on horseback.
(b) The sight of the flag of Virginia still waving.
(c) A regiment of Union soldiers that had come around behind them.
(d) Their own cannons pointed at them.
14. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He sends Tom to the front line.
(c) He runs to the rear.
(d) He charges on horseback, alone.
15. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
(b) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(c) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(d) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
2. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
3. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
4. Which of these is NOT troubling Longstreet before this battle?
5. What keeps Armistead going?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)