|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
(b) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(c) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
(d) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
2. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
(a) New uniforms
(c) Medals of Honor
(d) New horses
3. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
(a) They are both intellectuals.
(b) They are both from Maine.
(c) They both are 34 years old.
(d) They both have a brother serving under them.
4. What strategy does Lee decide is the best course of action?
(a) Attack on the right as Longstreet suggested.
(b) Attack on the left where the enemy has already been weakened.
(c) Attack at the center and split the line in two.
(d) Withdraw to higher ground and try to draw the enemy out in the open.
5. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
(a) The surviving soldiers will draw more troops to them with their stories of courage.
(b) The North will have suffered too many casualties to finish the war.
(c) The South will eventually lose the war.
(d) The South will come back to win more important battles.
6. How does Lee think one wins victories?
(a) By coming up with clever strategies.
(b) By knowing when to attack and when to retreat.
(c) By knowing one's enemy better than one's friends.
(d) By attacking with courage and with faith.
7. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He tries to help another slave escape.
(b) He assaults an officer.
(c) He asks directions from a white woman.
(d) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
8. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
(a) He will be reluctant to move without his full force.
(b) He will have orders from Washington not to attack.
(c) He has just arrived on the field and will not understand the position.
(d) He is General Meade.
9. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
(a) Swings his men around the Confederate troops to the south.
(b) Engages in battle without permission.
(c) Moves his troops down off the hill.
(d) Removes his troops from battle.
10. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
(a) Ask Lee to court-martial Stuart.
(b) Speak to Lee on Stuart's behalf.
(c) Talk Lee into a frontal attack.
(d) Talk Lee into an attack on the right.
11. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) The hospital has been shut down.
(b) Meade wants to see him.
(c) The rations can't get through.
(d) Kilrain has died.
12. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
(a) The last time he saw Winfield Hancock.
(b) The last time he saw his wife.
(c) His former homeland, Ireland.
(d) The first girl he ever loved.
13. Which of these is NOT troubling Longstreet before this battle?
(a) He is concerned they will not get needed supplies from Virginia.
(b) He believes a defensive strategy is the best option.
(c) He breaks his vow to the U.S. military.
(d) He is fighting men he once commanded.
14. What keeps Armistead going?
(a) His belief that the attack will be a success.
(b) His love for his home and his country.
(c) His desire to see his wife again.
(d) His fear of being labeled a coward.
15. What does Fremantle hope for after the war is over?
(a) An English victory over France.
(b) The South will rejoin England.
(c) The destruction of the Northern government.
(d) A position in the Confederate government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
2. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
3. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
4. What concerns Armistead about this battle?
5. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)