|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Longstreet think he should do but cannot?
(a) Find a place to get some rest.
(b) Lead the attack from the front line.
(c) Send scouts for additional ammunition.
(d) Resign his position.
2. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
(a) His men will not follow him if he shows a shred of doubt.
(b) He has no cause and he cannot just fight for the soldiers.
(c) His habit of speaking his mind will be his political downfall.
(d) He will be demoted if he does not show Lee proper support.
3. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
(b) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
(c) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(d) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
4. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
(b) He asks directions from a white woman.
(c) He assaults an officer.
(d) He tries to help another slave escape.
5. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
(a) He offers to resign from his post.
(b) He wants to know who those officers are.
(c) He protests his innocence.
(d) He bows his head in shame.
6. Where does Tom get the coffee that he brings to Chamberlain?
(a) From Gen. Meade with his compliments
(b) From the regiment's rations
(c) From dead soldiers
(d) From captured Rebel soldiers
7. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
(a) The North will have suffered too many casualties to finish the war.
(b) The South will eventually lose the war.
(c) The surviving soldiers will draw more troops to them with their stories of courage.
(d) The South will come back to win more important battles.
8. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
9. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He falls from a horse.
(b) He gets shot in the armpit.
(c) He gets shot in the leg.
(d) He is almost instantly killed.
10. Which of these countries is NOT represented at breakfast?
11. What action does Chamberlain take that haunts him afterward?
(a) He sends his men to scavenge ammunition from the dead.
(b) He sends Tom into a gap to fill it.
(c) He leaves Kilrain wounded on the battlefield.
(d) He shoots an enemy officer at point-blank range.
12. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
(a) Moves his troops down off the hill.
(b) Removes his troops from battle.
(c) Engages in battle without permission.
(d) Swings his men around the Confederate troops to the south.
13. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
(b) Fix bayonets and charge.
(c) Show a white flag and surrender.
(d) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
14. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
(a) Using Tom to plug the hole in the line.
(b) Getting wounded in the foot.
(c) Kilrain's wound taking him off the field.
(d) The heavy casualties his regiment suffered.
15. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question continues to occasionally plague Chamberlain?
2. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
3. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
4. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
5. Who does Lee blame for the attack's failure?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)