|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Longstreet think he should do but cannot?
(a) Find a place to get some rest.
(b) Lead the attack from the front line.
(c) Resign his position.
(d) Send scouts for additional ammunition.
2. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
(a) They would be better off under the command of someone else.
(b) Those who remain are the best of the best.
(c) Another battle like the one the day before, and the regiment will be gone.
(d) They deserve recognition for what they accomplished the day before.
3. From whom does the Confederacy get many of its guns and most of its wagons?
(b) Confederate factories
(c) The Union army
4. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(a) Pickett and Hood
(d) Ewell and Early
5. Why does Longstreet say Lee should put Hill in command instead of Longstreet?
(a) Longstreet has come down with the old soldier's disease.
(b) Hill is better at this kind of assault.
(c) The men are mostly Hill's.
(d) Hill earned the right with his victory the day before.
6. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
(a) He has just arrived on the field and will not understand the position.
(b) He will have orders from Washington not to attack.
(c) He will be reluctant to move without his full force.
(d) He is General Meade.
7. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
(a) The South will eventually lose the war.
(b) The South will come back to win more important battles.
(c) The surviving soldiers will draw more troops to them with their stories of courage.
(d) The North will have suffered too many casualties to finish the war.
8. What is Stuart's initial response when Lee tells him there are officers who want Stuart court-martialed?
(a) He bows his head in shame.
(b) He protests his innocence.
(c) He wants to know who those officers are.
(d) He offers to resign from his post.
9. On whose eagerness for battle is Lee depending?
(a) Longstreet and Rodes
(b) Stuart and Pickett
(c) Ewell and Early
(d) McLaws and Hood
10. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
(b) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
(c) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(d) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
11. What keeps Armistead going?
(a) His love for his home and his country.
(b) His fear of being labeled a coward.
(c) His desire to see his wife again.
(d) His belief that the attack will be a success.
12. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
(a) The sight of Lee, bareheaded, on horseback.
(b) A regiment of Union soldiers that had come around behind them.
(c) Their own cannons pointed at them.
(d) The sight of the flag of Virginia still waving.
13. What does Chamberlain think will happen if the South wins?
(a) The South will become a British protectorate.
(b) The South will eventually overtake the North.
(c) The North and South will eventually reunify.
(d) America will become two countries.
14. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
(a) It is a very good position and they can hold it for quite a while.
(b) They would be better off finding another site altogether.
(c) It is an OK position, but with a little power, the Rebels will overtake them.
(d) One side of it is very weak.
15. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
(b) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
(c) Fix bayonets and charge.
(d) Show a white flag and surrender.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose absence is once again affecting the Confederate troops?
2. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
3. Why does Sykes want to see Chamberlain?
4. Why is the slave shot?
5. How does Pickett respond to his orders?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)