|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Pettigrew of the Confederates like Chamberlain of the Union?
(a) They both are 34 years old.
(b) They are both intellectuals.
(c) They are both from Maine.
(d) They both have a brother serving under them.
2. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will retreat before noon.
(b) They will attack the right flank again.
(c) They will concentrate on the left.
(d) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
3. Why won't Longstreet send support to Pickett when he asks for it?
(a) Pickett's division is doing better than anyone else's.
(b) There is no support to send.
(c) If Pickett had obeyed orders, he would not need support.
(d) There is no way to get the men to where Pickett is.
4. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) Meade wants to see him.
(b) The hospital has been shut down.
(c) Kilrain has died.
(d) The rations can't get through.
5. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(a) Pickett and Hood
(d) Ewell and Early
6. On whose eagerness for battle is Lee depending?
(a) Stuart and Pickett
(b) Ewell and Early
(c) Longstreet and Rodes
(d) McLaws and Hood
7. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
(b) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
(c) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(d) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
8. Why does Sykes want to see Chamberlain?
(a) To make sure he and his men had enough food.
(b) To compliment him on his leadership the day before.
(c) To promote him to a new command.
(d) To inquire after his casualties.
9. What strange action does Chamberlain take under gunfire?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He charges on horseback, alone.
(c) He runs to the rear.
(d) He sends Tom to the front line.
10. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
11. Now that nearly half of his regiment is gone, what does Rice tell Chamberlain to do?
(a) Occupy the big, wooded hill.
(b) Move his remaining men out of harm's way for the time being.
(c) Join his men to Sickles' regiment.
(d) Take care of the wounded.
12. What does Chamberlain think will happen if the South wins?
(a) The South will become a British protectorate.
(b) The North and South will eventually reunify.
(c) The South will eventually overtake the North.
(d) America will become two countries.
13. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
(a) Medals of Honor
(b) New horses
(c) New uniforms
14. Why does Longstreet say Lee should put Hill in command instead of Longstreet?
(a) Hill earned the right with his victory the day before.
(b) The men are mostly Hill's.
(c) Longstreet has come down with the old soldier's disease.
(d) Hill is better at this kind of assault.
15. Who does Lee blame for the attack's failure?
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
2. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
3. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
4. What is the outcome of Lee's discussion with Longstreet?
5. When the South seceded, why did Lee give up his position in the U.S. military?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)