|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) The rations can't get through.
(b) Kilrain has died.
(c) Meade wants to see him.
(d) The hospital has been shut down.
2. Why does Longstreet tell Hood not to attack to the right?
(a) He wants Hood to stay where he is as a buffer between Longstreet and the enemy.
(b) He thinks an attack on the right will fail.
(c) He does not want to go against Lee again.
(d) He knows the enemy is reforming for just such an attack.
3. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He tries to help another slave escape.
(b) He assaults an officer.
(c) He asks directions from a white woman.
(d) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
4. What is the outcome of Lee's discussion with Longstreet?
(a) The attack will move to the right.
(b) They will attack both the left and the right simultaneously.
(c) The attack will move to the left.
(d) The attack at the center will go ahead.
5. What does Fremantle think of democracy?
(a) It should be brought to England.
(b) It will stand the test of time and spread throughout the world.
(c) It is an experiment that will ultimately fail.
(d) It is a noble idea.
6. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He is almost instantly killed.
(b) He gets shot in the leg.
(c) He gets shot in the armpit.
(d) He falls from a horse.
7. Why won't Longstreet send support to Pickett when he asks for it?
(a) There is no way to get the men to where Pickett is.
(b) There is no support to send.
(c) Pickett's division is doing better than anyone else's.
(d) If Pickett had obeyed orders, he would not need support.
8. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
(a) The North will have suffered too many casualties to finish the war.
(b) The South will come back to win more important battles.
(c) The surviving soldiers will draw more troops to them with their stories of courage.
(d) The South will eventually lose the war.
9. Where does Tom get the coffee that he brings to Chamberlain?
(a) From Gen. Meade with his compliments
(b) From the regiment's rations
(c) From captured Rebel soldiers
(d) From dead soldiers
10. Which of these countries is NOT represented at breakfast?
11. What does Fremantle think the war is really about?
(b) States' rights
(c) Adaptation vs. rejection of European customs
(d) The superiority of those of English descent
12. What does Col. Vincent tell Chamberlain he must do?
(a) Send frequent messages to Vincent updating him on the progress of the battle.
(b) Hold as long as he can but preserve his men.
(c) Keep his men hidden behind rocks to surprise the enemy.
(d) Not withdraw under any circumstances.
13. Where is Chamberlain's regiment sent?
(a) Back to the left, where they had been
(b) Off the battlefield entirely, to rest
(c) To the center of the line
(d) To the right end of the line
14. What makes the Confederate troops turn back as they start to retreat?
(a) The sight of Lee, bareheaded, on horseback.
(b) Their own cannons pointed at them.
(c) A regiment of Union soldiers that had come around behind them.
(d) The sight of the flag of Virginia still waving.
15. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
(a) Order him not to make the charge.
(b) Detail an aide to him to help him walk.
(c) Force him to go to the hospital tent.
(d) Give him his own horse to ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sykes want to see Chamberlain?
2. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
3. How does Pickett respond to his orders?
4. Why does Fremantle say the English have not entered the war?
5. What does Chamberlain think about the ground they're holding?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)