|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
(a) Those who remain are the best of the best.
(b) Another battle like the one the day before, and the regiment will be gone.
(c) They deserve recognition for what they accomplished the day before.
(d) They would be better off under the command of someone else.
2. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(b) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
(c) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(d) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
3. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He gets shot in the armpit.
(b) He gets shot in the leg.
(c) He is almost instantly killed.
(d) He falls from a horse.
4. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
(a) His own feelings of revulsion
(b) The instant feeling of brotherhood
(c) The slave's articulateness
(d) The similarity between them
5. What does Armistead want Pickett to do about Garnett?
(a) Give him his own horse to ride.
(b) Detail an aide to him to help him walk.
(c) Order him not to make the charge.
(d) Force him to go to the hospital tent.
6. Why does Fremantle say the English have not entered the war?
(a) They believe the North will win in the end.
(b) They will not fight to support slavery.
(c) They are engaged in their own war with France.
(d) They don't have the resources.
7. Now that nearly half of his regiment is gone, what does Rice tell Chamberlain to do?
(a) Take care of the wounded.
(b) Move his remaining men out of harm's way for the time being.
(c) Occupy the big, wooded hill.
(d) Join his men to Sickles' regiment.
8. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
(a) Kilrain has died.
(b) The rations can't get through.
(c) The hospital has been shut down.
(d) Meade wants to see him.
9. In Chamberlain's mind, what takes away from the perfection of the fight?
(a) Getting wounded in the foot.
(b) Using Tom to plug the hole in the line.
(c) The heavy casualties his regiment suffered.
(d) Kilrain's wound taking him off the field.
10. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Show a white flag and surrender.
(b) Fix bayonets and charge.
(c) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
(d) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
11. What difficulty faces Longstreet?
(a) He cannot focus on the battle because he keeps thinking about his dead children.
(b) Not knowing the area well, he's forced to turn his troops around and lead a counter-march.
(c) His men lose confidence in his leadership and refuse to fight.
(d) His horse lames himself, and Longstreet has to find another one.
12. What does Chamberlain think will happen if the South wins?
(a) America will become two countries.
(b) The North and South will eventually reunify.
(c) The South will eventually overtake the North.
(d) The South will become a British protectorate.
13. What does Longstreet contemplate when he realizes the battle is lost?
(a) Finding Lee and yelling at him.
(b) Changing sides and fighting for the North.
(c) Committing suicide by walking toward the enemy.
(d) Going home and leaving the war behind.
14. Which of these is NOT troubling Longstreet before this battle?
(a) He believes a defensive strategy is the best option.
(b) He is concerned they will not get needed supplies from Virginia.
(c) He breaks his vow to the U.S. military.
(d) He is fighting men he once commanded.
15. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
2. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
3. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
4. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
5. What is Armistead's fear at the end?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)