|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chamberlain decide to do when his men run out of ammunition?
(a) Fix bayonets and charge.
(b) Show a white flag and surrender.
(c) Ride to Col. Vincent to request more ammunition.
(d) Move his men to the right to join other troops.
2. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
(a) He gets shot in the leg.
(b) He falls from a horse.
(c) He is almost instantly killed.
(d) He gets shot in the armpit.
3. Whose advice has Lee taken regarding strategy?
(b) Ewell and Early
(c) Pickett and Hood
4. Which of these is NOT something Chamberlain thinks about his men?
(a) Another battle like the one the day before, and the regiment will be gone.
(b) Those who remain are the best of the best.
(c) They would be better off under the command of someone else.
(d) They deserve recognition for what they accomplished the day before.
5. Who do Hood's officers blame for their loss?
6. Of what had Lee been trying to warn Longstreet?
(a) His men will not follow him if he shows a shred of doubt.
(b) His habit of speaking his mind will be his political downfall.
(c) He has no cause and he cannot just fight for the soldiers.
(d) He will be demoted if he does not show Lee proper support.
7. What does Longstreet think will be the outcome of this battle?
(a) The North will have suffered too many casualties to finish the war.
(b) The South will come back to win more important battles.
(c) The South will eventually lose the war.
(d) The surviving soldiers will draw more troops to them with their stories of courage.
8. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
(a) The slave's articulateness
(b) His own feelings of revulsion
(c) The instant feeling of brotherhood
(d) The similarity between them
9. How does the battle go for the Confederates?
(a) Against the odds, they begin to win.
(b) They sustain heavy casualties, yet they carry on.
(c) They are instantly stopped in their tracks.
(d) After a short time, they turn and run as a group.
10. What does Chamberlain hope to get for his men very soon?
(a) New horses
(b) New uniforms
(d) Medals of Honor
11. What does Chamberlain think will happen if the South wins?
(a) The South will eventually overtake the North.
(b) America will become two countries.
(c) The South will become a British protectorate.
(d) The North and South will eventually reunify.
12. What had Sickles done that causes difficulty for the Union?
(a) Swings his men around the Confederate troops to the south.
(b) Removes his troops from battle.
(c) Engages in battle without permission.
(d) Moves his troops down off the hill.
13. What does Pitzer tell Chamberlain about Meade?
(a) He had wanted to retreat.
(b) He is issuing new orders.
(c) He is resigning his position.
(d) He is the bravest man Pitzer had ever seen.
14. What news about Gen. Ewell does Venable bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell and Early have had a disagreement and there is talk of a duel.
(b) Ewell has regained control and is gathering his men together.
(c) Ewell has been taken sick and can no longer serve.
(d) Ewell is not in command but is deferring to Early.
15. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the slave shot?
2. The song "Kathleen Mavourneen" remind Armistead of ___________.
3. What does Marshall request of Longstreet?
4. What keeps Armistead going?
5. What does Tom say about the battle the day before?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)