|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
(a) The thick walls will protect him from the gunfire.
(b) His orders arre to use a brick building as his headquarters.
(c) He will have a good view from the cupola.
(d) He could quickly get extra ammunition to the troops from there.
2. How does Chamberlain say this war is different from other wars?
(a) People are fighting for land.
(b) People are fighting for women.
(c) People are fighting for other's freedom.
(d) People are fighting for money.
3. How does Ewell appear to Lee?
(a) As a scared rabbit
(b) As a caged tiger
(c) As a hopping bird
(d) As a wounded wolf
4. What is the topic of the passionate discussion between Kemper, Fremantle and the others?
(a) America's inferiority to Britain.
(b) The cause of the war.
(c) The duty of the British government.
(d) The rights of blacks.
5. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
(a) More than six hours.
(b) Long enough for Lee to arrive in town.
(c) All day.
(d) Long enough for the infantry to arrive to support his cavalry.
6. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) Gen. Meade
(b) John Reynolds
(c) Col. Vincent
(d) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
7. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
(a) He is as good as an English general.
(b) He has great forbears.
(c) He is a gentleman.
(d) He is overly virtuous.
8. What kind of relationship do Lee and Longstreet have?
(a) Lee admires Longstreet but Longstreet thinks Lee is too old for the job.
(b) Longstreet is Lee's son-in-law.
(c) They are very close although Lee is very formal and Longstreet doesn't speak much.
(d) They used to be very close until they had a disagreement over strategy.
9. For what is Pickett notorious?
(a) Playing practical jokes on his fellow officers.
(b) Getting in fights after drinking too much.
(c) Finishing last in his class at West Point.
(d) Giving nicknames to the soldiers under his command.
10. What news does Trimble bring to Lee?
(a) There was no possible way for Ewell to take the hill.
(b) Ewell could have easily taken the hill but hesitated too long.
(c) Ewell was eager to take the hill but Early would not allow it.
(d) Lee's order to take the hill arrived too late.
11. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
(a) Robert E. Lee's
(b) James Longstreet's
(c) John Reynolds'
(d) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's
12. What continues to frustrate Lee as the battle progresses?
(a) His officers continue to refuse to follow orders.
(b) He is still fighting "blind" without adequate information.
(c) His health is slowing him down and taking away his concentration.
(d) The Union soldiers are inexplicably beating his men.
13. Why is Kilrain only a private?
(a) He had only joined the army a few weeks earlier.
(b) He had picked a fight with an officer.
(c) He had refused promotion several times.
(d) He had stolen a horse.
14. Buford is in need of more _____________.
15. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
(b) Robert E. Lee
(d) George Washington
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his body troubles Lee?
2. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
3. Who arrives at headquarters?
4. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
5. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)