|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Reynolds bringing with him?
(a) No one. He could not spare the troops
(b) One brigade
(c) The First and Eleventh Corps
(d) A division of infantry
2. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
(a) He had defeated Reynold's troops a few days before.
(b) He has been court-martialed.
(c) He's riding in the north, not doing any real damage.
(d) He and his cavalry were captured by Union soldiers.
3. What memory suddenly strikes Longstreet?
(a) His first battle in Indian territory
(b) His wedding day
(c) The death of his children
(d) The death of his father
4. Buford is in need of more _____________.
5. What had been Chamberlain's job before joining the army?
6. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
(b) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
(c) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
(d) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
7. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
(a) He's the best-dressed soldier in the Union army.
(b) He's the best calvary leader in the army.
(c) If he survives, he might make a soldier one day.
(d) He is not a great horseman, but he knows how to choose ground.
8. What continues to frustrate Lee as the battle progresses?
(a) His officers continue to refuse to follow orders.
(b) The Union soldiers are inexplicably beating his men.
(c) His health is slowing him down and taking away his concentration.
(d) He is still fighting "blind" without adequate information.
9. What is Chamberlain told to do to the mutineers if they will not fight?
(a) Shoot them.
(b) Court-martial them.
(c) Release them from the army.
(d) Hang them.
10. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
(a) To move the troops to Gettysburg.
(b) To contact J.E.B. Stuart to get the cavalry to Longstreet's headquarters.
(c) To send another scout out to confirm.
(d) To go to Lee.
11. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He has been hired as a spy.
(b) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
(c) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(d) He is observing for the Queen.
12. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A gentleman
(b) A friend
(c) A dandy
(d) A neat trim man
13. For whose soul does Lee pray ?
(a) John Reynolds'
(b) His own
(c) Rooney Lee's
(d) Stonewall Jackson's
14. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
(a) He had developed a new type of warfare.
(b) He had written a manual on the rifle.
(c) He had never lost his cool in battle.
(d) He was the leading expert on hand-to-hand combat.
15. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
(a) Attack the Union's flank.
(b) Take the hill if at all possible.
(c) Pull back and preserve your troops.
(d) Have the cavalry fight dismounted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Buford initially facing?
2. What sight appears to Longstreet to look like masses of fat white spiders?
3. Why did the mutineers mutiny?
4. How does Lee handle Ewell's failure?
5. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)