|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Buford initially facing?
2. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
3. What is "The Cause" for Longstreet?
(c) States' rights
(d) Southern aristocracy
4. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
(a) The scream of wounded horses
(b) The scream of wounded men
(c) The scream of incoming cannon fire
(d) The Rebel yell
5. How is Gettysburg best described?
(a) A small town in the Pennsylvania countryside.
(b) A strategically important port town.
(c) The second largest city in Pennsylvania.
(d) The headquarters of the entire Union army.
6. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
(a) King of Spades
(b) Old Granny
(c) Old Man
(d) The Colonel
7. Why does Armistead say Lee will not use a defensive strategy?
(a) He is too proud.
(b) He is too angry at the Union army to refrain from attacking.
(c) He does not think it is a sound strategy.
(d) A defensive strategy has not worked to this time in American warfare.
8. What has Heth done that he was not supposed to have done?
(a) He has captured the enemy's headquarters.
(b) He has sent his troops to support Longstreet's.
(c) He has moved his artillery in front of Lee.
(d) He engages in battle with the enemy.
9. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
(a) Be at the front of the charge.
(b) Lead his men from the cupola.
(c) Be responsible for keeping Lee updated on the battle's progression.
(d) Stay out of harm's way.
10. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
(a) If he survives, he might make a soldier one day.
(b) He's the best calvary leader in the army.
(c) He's the best-dressed soldier in the Union army.
(d) He is not a great horseman, but he knows how to choose ground.
11. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
(a) From horseback on top of Cemetery Hill
(b) From a high tree
(c) From the base of the white angel
(d) From the cupola
12. To whom does Buford send a message regarding the Rebel troops?
(a) Gen. Meade
(b) James Longstreet
(c) John Reynolds
(d) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
13. What disagreement does Buford encounter upon arriving at headquarters?
(a) Which general is in command, Howard or Hancock.
(b) Who is the better man, Lee or Meade.
(c) What should be done with captured deserters.
(d) Who is responsible for the day's success.
14. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
(a) To send another scout out to confirm.
(b) To contact J.E.B. Stuart to get the cavalry to Longstreet's headquarters.
(c) To move the troops to Gettysburg.
(d) To go to Lee.
15. Which of these does Lee think will NOT be an issue with Meade?
(a) It will take him some time to get up to speed.
(b) He will not be bringing adequate ammunition.
(c) His information will be poor.
(d) He will have staff problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what is the book's title derived?
2. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
3. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
4. Why is Kilrain only a private?
5. Buford looks for ___________.
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)