|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lee depend on Longstreet?
(a) He is the best commander now that Stonewall Jackson is dead.
(b) He is the only one who knows the Pennsylvania countryside.
(c) He can stir the men with his eloquent speeches.
(d) He has the most distinguished record for offensive warfare.
2. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A neat trim man
(b) A dandy
(c) A friend
(d) A gentleman
3. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(b) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
(c) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(d) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
4. What news does the spy have for Longstreet?
(a) Gettysburg has been invaded.
(b) John Reynolds plans to attack Richmond.
(c) The Union Army is on the move.
(d) Confederate troops have been defeated at Harrisburg.
5. How does Lee handle Ewell's failure?
(a) He tells Ewell he is very disappointed in him and relieves him of his command.
(b) He warns Ewell to be more decisive in the future or face court-martial.
(c) He makes no mention of it.
(d) He tells Ewell he won a victory, though it might have been a greater victory.
6. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
(a) The civilians become more hostile.
(b) The civilians become much more friendly.
(c) The weather improves.
(d) The weather gets worse.
7. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
(a) Stay out of harm's way.
(b) Lead his men from the cupola.
(c) Be at the front of the charge.
(d) Be responsible for keeping Lee updated on the battle's progression.
8. Who is Armistead's friend in the Union army?
9. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
10. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(b) John Reynolds
(c) Gen. Meade
(d) Col. Vincent
11. Pickett concerned about ___________.
(a) How to get letters to his fiancee in the fastest manner.
(b) Losing too many men to continue fighting.
(c) His honor if the Confederates lose this battle.
(d) Being placed last in line in an important battle.
12. Why does Armistead say Lee will not use a defensive strategy?
(a) He does not think it is a sound strategy.
(b) A defensive strategy has not worked to this time in American warfare.
(c) He is too proud.
(d) He is too angry at the Union army to refrain from attacking.
13. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
(b) Lee has been killed in battle.
(c) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
(d) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
14. Which of these does Lee think will NOT be an issue with Meade?
(a) It will take him some time to get up to speed.
(b) His information will be poor.
(c) He will not be bringing adequate ammunition.
(d) He will have staff problems.
15. Who has been given command of the Union Army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
2. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
3. How does Lee calm his worries?
4. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
5. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)