|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Longstreet think could lose the war?
2. What is the topic of the passionate discussion between Kemper, Fremantle and the others?
(a) The duty of the British government.
(b) The cause of the war.
(c) America's inferiority to Britain.
(d) The rights of blacks.
3. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
(a) He could quickly get extra ammunition to the troops from there.
(b) He will have a good view from the cupola.
(c) His orders arre to use a brick building as his headquarters.
(d) The thick walls will protect him from the gunfire.
4. What memory does Chamberlain have of his brother, Tom, in childhood?
(a) Tom and Lawrence helping their father on the farm.
(b) Tom getting lost in the winter and finding his way back on his own.
(c) Tom always at Lawrence's heels, trying to be just like him.
(d) Tom getting in fights at school over Lawrence's bookishness.
5. What has Heth done that he was not supposed to have done?
(a) He engages in battle with the enemy.
(b) He has sent his troops to support Longstreet's.
(c) He has captured the enemy's headquarters.
(d) He has moved his artillery in front of Lee.
6. What has happened to Heth?
(a) He has been captured by the enemy.
(b) He has been wounded in the head.
(c) He has been killed.
(d) His troops have been captured.
7. What part of his body troubles Lee?
(a) His throat
(b) His lungs
(c) His heart
(d) His stomach
8. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
(b) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
(c) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(d) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
9. Why does Lee think there is an opportunity here?
(a) Lee has just been given several thousand more troops.
(b) Meade will be cautious and slow to move.
(c) The Union Army was just defeated at Vicksburg.
(d) The Confederate Army is much stronger than the Union Army.
10. What kind of relationship do Lee and Longstreet have?
(a) They are very close although Lee is very formal and Longstreet doesn't speak much.
(b) Longstreet is Lee's son-in-law.
(c) Lee admires Longstreet but Longstreet thinks Lee is too old for the job.
(d) They used to be very close until they had a disagreement over strategy.
11. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
(a) Take the hill if at all possible.
(b) Have the cavalry fight dismounted.
(c) Attack the Union's flank.
(d) Pull back and preserve your troops.
12. What is Lee waiting for at the end of the chapter?
(a) A message of surrender from the Union command
(b) Longstreet's spy to bring him new information
(c) Much needed medication for his heart condition
(d) Ewell's attack on the hill
13. Who is Buford initially facing?
14. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
(b) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
(c) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
(d) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
15. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(b) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(c) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(d) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
2. For what is Pickett notorious?
3. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
4. Buford is in need of more _____________.
5. Why does Lee depend on Longstreet?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)