|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
(a) She is a Southern sympathizer.
(b) Her husband is an undertaker.
(c) Her husband is a prisoner in a Southern camp.
(d) She is a widow.
2. Buford is in need of more _____________.
3. How does Lee handle Ewell's failure?
(a) He makes no mention of it.
(b) He warns Ewell to be more decisive in the future or face court-martial.
(c) He tells Ewell he is very disappointed in him and relieves him of his command.
(d) He tells Ewell he won a victory, though it might have been a greater victory.
4. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
(a) Drinking unboiled water.
(b) Sharing eating utensils.
(c) Eating spoiled meat.
(d) Eating too many cherries.
5. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
(b) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(c) A misty rain begins to fall.
(d) There is a shower of shooting stars.
6. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
(a) His health is preventing him from getting close to the action.
(b) He has still heard nothing from Stuart.
(c) His officers are not following his orders.
(d) He has more troops, yet the Union seems to be winning already.
7. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
(a) The Union soldiers quickly begin to fall apart.
(b) The Rebels start to gain control.
(c) The remaining commanders begin to argue about strategy.
(d) The troops follow his orders, though he's not there to command.
8. What news does the spy have for Longstreet?
(a) John Reynolds plans to attack Richmond.
(b) Confederate troops have been defeated at Harrisburg.
(c) Gettysburg has been invaded.
(d) The Union Army is on the move.
9. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
(b) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(c) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(d) He has written for help before and it has never come.
10. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
(a) Attack the Union's flank.
(b) Take the hill if at all possible.
(c) Have the cavalry fight dismounted.
(d) Pull back and preserve your troops.
11. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
(a) Stonewall Jackson accuses him of cowardice.
(b) His brother is on the side of the enemy.
(c) His father loses the family fortune through drink and gambling.
(d) Captured once, he gave away important information to the enemy.
12. Who has been given command of the Union Army?
13. What does Lee hear as he and Longstreet begin to ride?
(a) Galloping horses
(d) The Rebel yell
14. What kind of relationship do Lee and Longstreet have?
(a) They are very close although Lee is very formal and Longstreet doesn't speak much.
(b) They used to be very close until they had a disagreement over strategy.
(c) Longstreet is Lee's son-in-law.
(d) Lee admires Longstreet but Longstreet thinks Lee is too old for the job.
15. What is different about the way Buford has his cavalry soldiers fight?
(a) They form a circle and surround the enemy.
(b) They fight on foot, not on horseback.
(c) They use bows and arrows.
(d) They fight in civilian clothes, not in uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
2. What does Longstreet want Lee to do now that the Union army is retreating?
3. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
4. How does Lee calm his worries?
5. For what is Pickett notorious?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)