|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Kilrain only a private?
(a) He had only joined the army a few weeks earlier.
(b) He had refused promotion several times.
(c) He had stolen a horse.
(d) He had picked a fight with an officer.
2. What does Joseph Bucklin bring to Chamberlain?
(a) A letter from his wife.
(b) More ammunition.
(c) The mutineers' grievances.
(d) Orders from Gen. Meade.
3. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
(a) Fresh-dug earth
(b) Cigar smoke
(c) Burning wood
(d) Cooking meat
4. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(b) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
(c) Lee has been killed in battle.
(d) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
5. Why does Gibbon not want Buford to go into headquarters?
(a) There is a private discussion going on.
(b) It's too crowded already.
(c) Howard has a complaint against him.
(d) There is a fist fight underway inside.
6. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
7. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
(a) He has been killed.
(b) His horse gets startled by the cannonfire and runs off with him.
(c) He has been severely injured and is taken to the hospital tent.
(d) Gen. Meade has arrived and removed him from command.
8. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
(a) Should not take the offense when the enemy outnumbers you.
(b) Should have happened much earlier.
(c) Will be difficult, but the South will eventually succeed.
(d) Was absolutely necessary.
9. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
(a) A white stone angel with arms outstretched.
(b) A gravestone with his family name on it.
(c) A gate that is hanging off its hinges.
(d) A tree full of crows.
10. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
(a) Drinking unboiled water.
(b) Eating too many cherries.
(c) Sharing eating utensils.
(d) Eating spoiled meat.
11. According to Ames, what two things must an officer do to lead men?
(a) Know the men personally and play upon their strengths.
(b) Always be the first to attack and always be the last to retreat.
(c) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
(d) Care for the men's welfare and show physical courage.
12. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
(a) From the base of the white angel
(b) From the cupola
(c) From a high tree
(d) From horseback on top of Cemetery Hill
13. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
(a) George Washington
(b) Robert E. Lee
14. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
(b) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
(c) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
(d) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
15. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
(a) Fight, or we'll shoot you.
(b) Comforting lies
(c) The truth
(d) Fight or be called cowards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Armistead say Lee will not use a defensive strategy?
2. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
3. What has happened to Heth?
4. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
5. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)