Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is the book's title derived?
(a) A line of Edgar Allan Poe's.
(b) A letter Chamberlain receives from his father.
(c) A speech Chamberlain made at school.
(d) A sermon from a visiting preacher.
2. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(b) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
(c) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(d) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
3. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) Gen. Meade
(c) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(d) Col. Vincent
4. Buford is in need of more _____________.
5. How does Chamberlain get the mutineers' attention?
(a) Blowing a bugle
(b) Speaking softly
(c) Firing a shot in the air
(d) Waving a flag
6. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
(b) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(c) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
(d) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
7. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
8. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He has been hired as a spy.
(b) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(c) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
(d) He is observing for the Queen.
9. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
(a) Stay out of harm's way.
(b) Lead his men from the cupola.
(c) Be responsible for keeping Lee updated on the battle's progression.
(d) Be at the front of the charge.
10. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
(a) He was the leading expert on hand-to-hand combat.
(b) He had developed a new type of warfare.
(c) He had never lost his cool in battle.
(d) He had written a manual on the rifle.
11. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
(a) James Longstreet's
(b) John Reynolds'
(c) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain's
(d) Robert E. Lee's
12. What response do Ewell and Early have to Longstreet's idea of moving the troops in between Meade and Washington?
(a) They think it should be followed immediately.
(b) They think it bears consideration.
(c) They think it would hurt morale.
(d) They think it is the mark of Longstreet's cowardice.
13. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
(a) Old Man
(b) Old Granny
(c) King of Spades
(d) The Colonel
14. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
15. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
(c) Robert E. Lee
(d) George Washington
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lee tell Taylor to do with the blind horse?
2. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
3. What does Lee hear as he and Longstreet begin to ride?
4. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
5. What does Longstreet think could lose the war?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)