|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
2. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
(a) He creates a rockslide, taking out an entire Rebel division.
(b) His 3000 men hold off Longstreet's 25,000 for six hours.
(c) He beats a Rebel officer in hand-to-hand combat.
(d) His men capture the most Rebel prisoners in the war so far.
3. Why is Kilrain only a private?
(a) He had stolen a horse.
(b) He had only joined the army a few weeks earlier.
(c) He had refused promotion several times.
(d) He had picked a fight with an officer.
4. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
(b) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
(c) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
(d) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
5. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A friend
(b) A neat trim man
(c) A gentleman
(d) A dandy
6. How does Ewell appear to Lee?
(a) As a wounded wolf
(b) As a caged tiger
(c) As a hopping bird
(d) As a scared rabbit
7. Who has been given command of the Union Army?
8. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
9. What disagreement does Buford encounter upon arriving at headquarters?
(a) Who is the better man, Lee or Meade.
(b) Which general is in command, Howard or Hancock.
(c) What should be done with captured deserters.
(d) Who is responsible for the day's success.
10. Why does Longstreet stay up as late as possible?
(a) To avoid thinking about his children.
(b) To study the battle plans carefully.
(c) To await orders from Lee.
(d) To explain strategy to Fremantle.
11. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(b) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(c) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(d) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
12. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
(a) His officers are not following his orders.
(b) He has more troops, yet the Union seems to be winning already.
(c) His health is preventing him from getting close to the action.
(d) He has still heard nothing from Stuart.
13. Buford is in need of more _____________.
14. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
(a) Fight, or we'll shoot you.
(b) Fight or be called cowards.
(c) The truth
(d) Comforting lies
15. Chamberlain comes from the state of _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
2. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
3. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
4. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
5. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)