|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Longstreet want Lee to do now that the Union army is retreating?
(a) Interrogate the prisoners to find out the Union's overall strategy.
(b) Call a truce to discuss the Union's surrender.
(c) Attack with all force.
(d) Disengage and move the troops between Gettysburg and D.C.
2. How does Ewell appear to Lee?
(a) As a scared rabbit
(b) As a hopping bird
(c) As a wounded wolf
(d) As a caged tiger
3. What part of his body troubles Lee?
(a) His stomach
(b) His heart
(c) His lungs
(d) His throat
4. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(b) He is observing for the Queen.
(c) He has been hired as a spy.
(d) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
5. What memory suddenly strikes Longstreet?
(a) His wedding day
(b) The death of his father
(c) The death of his children
(d) His first battle in Indian territory
6. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
(a) King of Spades
(b) Old Man
(c) The Colonel
(d) Old Granny
7. Once the Union soldiers start retreating, what is Lee's goal?
(a) To keep pushing to capture the hill.
(b) To fall back to a stronghold outside of Gettysburg.
(c) To force the Union out of Gettysburg entirely.
(d) To go after the Union commanders to create fear in the infantry.
8. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
9. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
(a) It is just as he planned.
(b) It is well-organized, and victory is certain.
(c) It is happening beyond his control.
(d) It is haphazard, doomed to failure.
10. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
(a) He had never lost his cool in battle.
(b) He had written a manual on the rifle.
(c) He was the leading expert on hand-to-hand combat.
(d) He had developed a new type of warfare.
11. What is the topic of the passionate discussion between Kemper, Fremantle and the others?
(a) The cause of the war.
(b) America's inferiority to Britain.
(c) The duty of the British government.
(d) The rights of blacks.
12. What decision does Longstreet make after hearing the spy's information?
(a) To go to Lee.
(b) To contact J.E.B. Stuart to get the cavalry to Longstreet's headquarters.
(c) To move the troops to Gettysburg.
(d) To send another scout out to confirm.
13. Which of these is the prevailing opinion held by others about General Meade?
(a) He will not be any help.
(b) He knows a great deal about the tactics of Robert E. Lee.
(c) He is the only hope for the Union army.
(d) He is the best general either side had ever seen.
14. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) A misty rain begins to fall.
(b) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(c) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(d) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
15. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
(a) The civilians become more hostile.
(b) The weather improves.
(c) The weather gets worse.
(d) The civilians become much more friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
2. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
3. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
4. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
5. What is Reynolds bringing with him?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)