|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Heth?
(a) He has been captured by the enemy.
(b) He has been wounded in the head.
(c) His troops have been captured.
(d) He has been killed.
2. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(b) Lee has been killed in battle.
(c) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
(d) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
3. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
(c) George Washington
(d) Robert E. Lee
4. According to Ames, what two things must an officer do to lead men?
(a) Know the men personally and play upon their strengths.
(b) Always be the first to attack and always be the last to retreat.
(c) Care for the men's welfare and show physical courage.
(d) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
5. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
(a) She is a Southern sympathizer.
(b) Her husband is a prisoner in a Southern camp.
(c) Her husband is an undertaker.
(d) She is a widow.
6. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
(a) From horseback on top of Cemetery Hill
(b) From the base of the white angel
(c) From a high tree
(d) From the cupola
7. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(b) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
(c) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(d) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
8. What is the difficulty Lee's army has with being in Pennsylvania?
(a) They cannot get messages to Confederacy headquarters.
(b) They are too far from their supply line.
(c) They have no maps of the state.
(d) They are now invaders of enemy territory.
9. Who has been given command of the Union Army?
10. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(b) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(c) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(d) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
11. To whom does Buford send a message regarding the Rebel troops?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) James Longstreet
(c) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(d) Gen. Meade
12. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
(a) If he survives, he might make a soldier one day.
(b) He is not a great horseman, but he knows how to choose ground.
(c) He's the best calvary leader in the army.
(d) He's the best-dressed soldier in the Union army.
13. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
(b) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(c) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
(d) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
14. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
(a) Come to Gettysburg with all possible speed.
(b) Start to gather your troops and await further messages.
(c) Get between Gettysburg and Washington, D.C., to prevent further movement north by the Rebels.
(d) Do nothing until you receive orders from Meade.
15. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
(a) He had defeated Reynold's troops a few days before.
(b) He and his cavalry were captured by Union soldiers.
(c) He has been court-martialed.
(d) He's riding in the north, not doing any real damage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of his body troubles Lee?
2. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
3. Why is Kilrain only a private?
4. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
5. What is the first question Chamberlain has for the mutineers?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)