|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Buford looks for ___________.
(b) Additional ammunition
(c) Food for his men
(d) Relief from his command
2. How do Lee and Longstreet differ on battle strategy?
(a) Lee wants to take the defensive. Longstreet wants to take the offensive.
(b) Lee wants to take the offensive. Longstreet wants to take the defensive.
(c) Lee wants to lead with the infantry. Longstreet wants to lead with the cavalry.
(d) Lee wants to lead with the cavalry. Longstreet wants to lead with the infantry.
3. What continues to frustrate Lee as the battle progresses?
(a) His officers continue to refuse to follow orders.
(b) He is still fighting "blind" without adequate information.
(c) His health is slowing him down and taking away his concentration.
(d) The Union soldiers are inexplicably beating his men.
4. What sight appears to Longstreet to look like masses of fat white spiders?
(a) The tattered remnants of several brigades' flags
(b) Piles of severed limbs in the darkness
(c) The tents gathered on the low ground in front of him
(d) Chewed bits of paper littering the road
5. Which of these is NOT a way Lee thinks of Reynolds?
(a) A gentleman
(b) A neat trim man
(c) A friend
(d) A dandy
6. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
(a) The Rebels start to gain control.
(b) The Union soldiers quickly begin to fall apart.
(c) The troops follow his orders, though he's not there to command.
(d) The remaining commanders begin to argue about strategy.
7. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(b) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(c) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(d) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
8. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
(a) His brother is on the side of the enemy.
(b) Captured once, he gave away important information to the enemy.
(c) Stonewall Jackson accuses him of cowardice.
(d) His father loses the family fortune through drink and gambling.
9. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
(a) He has more troops, yet the Union seems to be winning already.
(b) He has still heard nothing from Stuart.
(c) His health is preventing him from getting close to the action.
(d) His officers are not following his orders.
10. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
(a) George Pickett
(b) Arthur Fremantle
(c) Lewis Armistead
(d) Richard Garnett
11. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) A misty rain begins to fall.
(b) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(c) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(d) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
12. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
(a) He will have a good view from the cupola.
(b) His orders arre to use a brick building as his headquarters.
(c) He could quickly get extra ammunition to the troops from there.
(d) The thick walls will protect him from the gunfire.
13. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
(a) He has been severely injured and is taken to the hospital tent.
(b) His horse gets startled by the cannonfire and runs off with him.
(c) Gen. Meade has arrived and removed him from command.
(d) He has been killed.
14. What is the difficulty Lee's army has with being in Pennsylvania?
(a) They have no maps of the state.
(b) They are too far from their supply line.
(c) They cannot get messages to Confederacy headquarters.
(d) They are now invaders of enemy territory.
15. Which of these is NOT Fremantle's opinion of Lee?
(a) He is as good as an English general.
(b) He has great forbears.
(c) He is a gentleman.
(d) He is overly virtuous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
2. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
3. Which of these is NOT a description of Stonewall Jackson as given by Longstreet to Fremantle?
4. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
5. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)