|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Trimble bring to Lee?
(a) Ewell could have easily taken the hill but hesitated too long.
(b) Lee's order to take the hill arrived too late.
(c) There was no possible way for Ewell to take the hill.
(d) Ewell was eager to take the hill but Early would not allow it.
2. To whom does Buford send a message regarding the Rebel troops?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(c) James Longstreet
(d) Gen. Meade
3. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
(a) Was absolutely necessary.
(b) Will be difficult, but the South will eventually succeed.
(c) Should have happened much earlier.
(d) Should not take the offense when the enemy outnumbers you.
4. What is causing the Old Soldier's illness?
(a) Eating spoiled meat.
(b) Eating too many cherries.
(c) Sharing eating utensils.
(d) Drinking unboiled water.
5. Chamberlain think the war is about slavery and __________________.
(a) The right to bear arms
(b) The North buying up Southern businesses.
(c) The South recreating European nobility.
(d) States' rights
6. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(b) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(c) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
(d) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
7. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
(a) Take him out of the cavalry and put him in the infantry.
(b) Court-martial him.
(c) Demote him to private.
(d) Reproach him.
8. Why does Sorrel not believe the spy?
(a) There would have been word earlier if his information were true.
(b) Another spy gave different information.
(c) Reports from Stuart contradict the spy's information.
(d) The spy has given them false information in the past.
9. How does Lee calm his worries?
(a) He prays quickly.
(b) He confers with Longstreet.
(c) He breathes deeply.
(d) He takes a drink of whisky.
10. What is the topic of the passionate discussion between Kemper, Fremantle and the others?
(a) The duty of the British government.
(b) America's inferiority to Britain.
(c) The cause of the war.
(d) The rights of blacks.
11. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
(a) The weather improves.
(b) The civilians become more hostile.
(c) The weather gets worse.
(d) The civilians become much more friendly.
12. How does Chamberlain say this war is different from other wars?
(a) People are fighting for women.
(b) People are fighting for money.
(c) People are fighting for land.
(d) People are fighting for other's freedom.
13. Why does Gibbon not want Buford to go into headquarters?
(a) It's too crowded already.
(b) There is a private discussion going on.
(c) There is a fist fight underway inside.
(d) Howard has a complaint against him.
14. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
(a) A tree full of crows.
(b) A gate that is hanging off its hinges.
(c) A white stone angel with arms outstretched.
(d) A gravestone with his family name on it.
15. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
(a) It is the first time Buford is happy to see the appearance of higher command.
(b) Buford is more frightened of Reynolds than of Heth.
(c) Buford is angry that it has taken Reynolds so long to respond.
(d) Buford is disappointed that Reynolds is taking command.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Reynolds bringing with him?
2. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
3. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
4. What is the difficulty Lee's army has with being in Pennsylvania?
5. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)