|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
(a) It is haphazard, doomed to failure.
(b) It is happening beyond his control.
(c) It is just as he planned.
(d) It is well-organized, and victory is certain.
2. Which of these does Lee think will NOT be an issue with Meade?
(a) He will have staff problems.
(b) He will not be bringing adequate ammunition.
(c) It will take him some time to get up to speed.
(d) His information will be poor.
3. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
(b) He has been hired as a spy.
(c) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(d) He is observing for the Queen.
4. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(b) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
(c) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(d) A misty rain begins to fall.
5. What profession had the spy had before that helps him in his current position?
(b) Traveling salesman
6. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
(a) Be at the front of the charge.
(b) Stay out of harm's way.
(c) Be responsible for keeping Lee updated on the battle's progression.
(d) Lead his men from the cupola.
7. Who is Buford initially facing?
8. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
(a) Have the cavalry fight dismounted.
(b) Pull back and preserve your troops.
(c) Attack the Union's flank.
(d) Take the hill if at all possible.
9. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
10. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
(a) Get between Gettysburg and Washington, D.C., to prevent further movement north by the Rebels.
(b) Start to gather your troops and await further messages.
(c) Do nothing until you receive orders from Meade.
(d) Come to Gettysburg with all possible speed.
11. What shadow hangs over Dick Garnett?
(a) Captured once, he gave away important information to the enemy.
(b) His father loses the family fortune through drink and gambling.
(c) His brother is on the side of the enemy.
(d) Stonewall Jackson accuses him of cowardice.
12. What continues to frustrate Lee as the battle progresses?
(a) He is still fighting "blind" without adequate information.
(b) His officers continue to refuse to follow orders.
(c) The Union soldiers are inexplicably beating his men.
(d) His health is slowing him down and taking away his concentration.
13. Why did the mutineers mutiny?
(a) They believe the war is wrong.
(b) They are forced to fight in intense heat, and many die of sunstroke.
(c) The believe their service time is up, yet they are not allowed to return home.
(d) They are no longer permitted alcohol.
14. What disagreement does Buford encounter upon arriving at headquarters?
(a) Which general is in command, Howard or Hancock.
(b) Who is responsible for the day's success.
(c) Who is the better man, Lee or Meade.
(d) What should be done with captured deserters.
15. What scent directs Buford to headquarters?
(a) Fresh-dug earth
(b) Cooking meat
(c) Cigar smoke
(d) Burning wood
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Gettysburg best described?
2. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
3. Which of these is NOT a description of Stonewall Jackson as given by Longstreet to Fremantle?
4. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
5. Once the Union soldiers start retreating, what is Lee's goal?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)