|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(b) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(c) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(d) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
2. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
(a) The Rebel yell
(b) The scream of wounded men
(c) The scream of wounded horses
(d) The scream of incoming cannon fire
3. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
(b) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
(c) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(d) Lee has been killed in battle.
4. For whose soul does Lee pray ?
(a) John Reynolds'
(b) Rooney Lee's
(c) His own
(d) Stonewall Jackson's
5. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
(b) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
(c) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(d) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
6. Who arrives at headquarters?
7. What has happened to Heth?
(a) His troops have been captured.
(b) He has been captured by the enemy.
(c) He has been killed.
(d) He has been wounded in the head.
8. Who has been given command of the Union Army?
9. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
(a) To signal the start of the battle.
(b) You never know who on the enemy side might be an old friend.
(c) To get his attention to discuss a surrender.
(d) To find out what rank the officer is.
10. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
(a) Buford is disappointed that Reynolds is taking command.
(b) It is the first time Buford is happy to see the appearance of higher command.
(c) Buford is more frightened of Reynolds than of Heth.
(d) Buford is angry that it has taken Reynolds so long to respond.
11. Who is it the spy quotes to himself as he rides along?
(a) George Washington
(d) Robert E. Lee
12. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
(a) Will be difficult, but the South will eventually succeed.
(b) Was absolutely necessary.
(c) Should have happened much earlier.
(d) Should not take the offense when the enemy outnumbers you.
13. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
(a) Fight, or we'll shoot you.
(b) Comforting lies
(c) Fight or be called cowards.
(d) The truth
14. Why does Sorrel not believe the spy?
(a) The spy has given them false information in the past.
(b) There would have been word earlier if his information were true.
(c) Reports from Stuart contradict the spy's information.
(d) Another spy gave different information.
15. What does Joseph Bucklin bring to Chamberlain?
(a) More ammunition.
(b) The mutineers' grievances.
(c) Orders from Gen. Meade.
(d) A letter from his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does it seem to Lee that the battle is progressing, as first Rodes and then Early engage in battle?
2. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
3. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
4. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
5. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)