|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(b) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(c) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(d) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
2. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
(a) Will be difficult, but the South will eventually succeed.
(b) Was absolutely necessary.
(c) Should have happened much earlier.
(d) Should not take the offense when the enemy outnumbers you.
3. Chamberlain think the war is about slavery and __________________.
(a) The South recreating European nobility.
(b) The right to bear arms
(c) States' rights
(d) The North buying up Southern businesses.
4. Why does Longstreet stay up as late as possible?
(a) To study the battle plans carefully.
(b) To await orders from Lee.
(c) To avoid thinking about his children.
(d) To explain strategy to Fremantle.
5. Why does Gibbon not want Buford to go into headquarters?
(a) There is a fist fight underway inside.
(b) There is a private discussion going on.
(c) It's too crowded already.
(d) Howard has a complaint against him.
6. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
7. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(b) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(c) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
(d) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
8. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
(a) From horseback on top of Cemetery Hill
(b) From the cupola
(c) From the base of the white angel
(d) From a high tree
9. Whose presence does Lee feel during his meeting with Ewell, Early and Rodes?
(a) Stonewall Jackson's
(b) John Reynolds'
(c) The first man he killed in combat
(d) His son, Rooney's
10. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) Col. Vincent
(c) Gen. Meade
(d) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
11. Why is Kilrain only a private?
(a) He had picked a fight with an officer.
(b) He had refused promotion several times.
(c) He had stolen a horse.
(d) He had only joined the army a few weeks earlier.
12. What is different about the way Buford has his cavalry soldiers fight?
(a) They fight in civilian clothes, not in uniform.
(b) They form a circle and surround the enemy.
(c) They use bows and arrows.
(d) They fight on foot, not on horseback.
13. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
(a) Her husband is a prisoner in a Southern camp.
(b) She is a widow.
(c) Her husband is an undertaker.
(d) She is a Southern sympathizer.
14. What order does Lee give to Ewell?
(a) Take the hill if at all possible.
(b) Pull back and preserve your troops.
(c) Have the cavalry fight dismounted.
(d) Attack the Union's flank.
15. After Chamberlain talks to them, how many of the mutineers still refuse to fight?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
2. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
3. What is Chamberlain told to do to the mutineers if they will not fight?
4. What news does the spy have for Longstreet?
5. What profession had the spy had before that helps him in his current position?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)