|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 5, Longstreet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the South seceded, why did Lee give up his position in the U.S. military?
(a) He was about to be removed from power anyway.
(b) He could not fight against his own people.
(c) His wife asked him to.
(d) He believed strongly in the cause of the South.
2. Why does Lee depend on Longstreet?
(a) He can stir the men with his eloquent speeches.
(b) He is the best commander now that Stonewall Jackson is dead.
(c) He is the only one who knows the Pennsylvania countryside.
(d) He has the most distinguished record for offensive warfare.
3. What does Kilrain think is important in fighting this war?
4. According to Ames, what two things must an officer do to lead men?
(a) Care for the men's welfare and show physical courage.
(b) Always be the first to attack and always be the last to retreat.
(c) Know the men personally and play upon their strengths.
(d) Speak softly and carry a big stick.
5. What does the Baptist minister say to Chamberlain about slavery?
(a) It is wrong according to the Bible and every man should fight it.
(b) There is nothing wrong with it provided the master treats the slave well.
(c) It is the mark of a doomed society.
(d) Chamberlain cannot understand it because he has never lived with the black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
2. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
3. What is the difficulty Lee's army has with being in Pennsylvania?
4. Who has still not yet reported to Lee?
5. What does Pitzer tell Chamberlain about Meade?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)