|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 6, Lee.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Gettysburg best described?
(a) The headquarters of the entire Union army.
(b) A small town in the Pennsylvania countryside.
(c) The second largest city in Pennsylvania.
(d) A strategically important port town.
2. What does Longstreet want Lee to do now that the Union army is retreating?
(a) Attack with all force.
(b) Disengage and move the troops between Gettysburg and D.C.
(c) Call a truce to discuss the Union's surrender.
(d) Interrogate the prisoners to find out the Union's overall strategy.
3. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
(a) He creates a rockslide, taking out an entire Rebel division.
(b) His men capture the most Rebel prisoners in the war so far.
(c) His 3000 men hold off Longstreet's 25,000 for six hours.
(d) He beats a Rebel officer in hand-to-hand combat.
4. Which of these is the prevailing opinion held by others about General Meade?
(a) He is the best general either side had ever seen.
(b) He knows a great deal about the tactics of Robert E. Lee.
(c) He is the only hope for the Union army.
(d) He will not be any help.
5. What does Lee hear as he and Longstreet begin to ride?
(c) Galloping horses
(d) The Rebel yell
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
2. What does Lee want Longstreet to do in battle?
3. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
4. Chamberlain think the war is about slavery and __________________.
5. What is Longstreet's opinion of the South's invasion of the North?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)