|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Buford's observation point at the start of the battle?
(a) From the base of the white angel
(b) From horseback on top of Cemetery Hill
(c) From a high tree
(d) From the cupola
2. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) A misty rain begins to fall.
(b) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(c) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(d) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
3. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(b) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(c) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(d) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
4. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(b) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(c) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
(d) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
5. What had Heth been distinguished for the in old army?
(a) He had developed a new type of warfare.
(b) He had never lost his cool in battle.
(c) He had written a manual on the rifle.
(d) He was the leading expert on hand-to-hand combat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
2. What compliment does Reynolds pay Buford?
3. Why is Kilrain only a private?
4. How do Lee and Longstreet differ on battle strategy?
5. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)