|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 4, Chamberlain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Longstreet think Lee and his army should be instead of Chambersburg?
2. Once the Union soldiers start retreating, what is Lee's goal?
(a) To keep pushing to capture the hill.
(b) To fall back to a stronghold outside of Gettysburg.
(c) To go after the Union commanders to create fear in the infantry.
(d) To force the Union out of Gettysburg entirely.
3. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
(b) He has written for help before and it has never come.
(c) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(d) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
4. What information does the spy have about Stuart?
(a) He had defeated Reynold's troops a few days before.
(b) He and his cavalry were captured by Union soldiers.
(c) He has been court-martialed.
(d) He's riding in the north, not doing any real damage.
5. Why does Armistead say Lee will not use a defensive strategy?
(a) A defensive strategy has not worked to this time in American warfare.
(b) He is too proud.
(c) He does not think it is a sound strategy.
(d) He is too angry at the Union army to refrain from attacking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose troops wear black hats and are known as the Iron Brigade?
2. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
3. How is Gettysburg best described?
4. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
5. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)