|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the internal conflict with which Lee struggles?
(a) He does not believe he is the right man to lead this army.
(b) He is certain that battle will mean death for many of his soldiers.
(c) He is attacking land he had once sworn to defend.
(d) He needs food for his men, but does not like to take it from civilians.
2. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
(a) He creates a rockslide, taking out an entire Rebel division.
(b) He beats a Rebel officer in hand-to-hand combat.
(c) His 3000 men hold off Longstreet's 25,000 for six hours.
(d) His men capture the most Rebel prisoners in the war so far.
3. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
(b) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
(c) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(d) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
4. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
(a) The scream of wounded horses
(b) The Rebel yell
(c) The scream of wounded men
(d) The scream of incoming cannon fire
5. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) A misty rain begins to fall.
(b) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
(c) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(d) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
Short Answer Questions
1. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
2. What does Longstreet want Lee to do when Stuart finally returns?
3. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
4. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
5. What had been Chamberlain's job before joining the army?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)