|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 2, Buford.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lee think there is an opportunity here?
(a) Lee has just been given several thousand more troops.
(b) The Confederate Army is much stronger than the Union Army.
(c) Meade will be cautious and slow to move.
(d) The Union Army was just defeated at Vicksburg.
2. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
(a) To get his attention to discuss a surrender.
(b) To signal the start of the battle.
(c) You never know who on the enemy side might be an old friend.
(d) To find out what rank the officer is.
3. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
(a) Long enough for the infantry to arrive to support his cavalry.
(b) All day.
(c) More than six hours.
(d) Long enough for Lee to arrive in town.
4. What does Kilrain say Chamberlain should tell the mutineers?
(a) Fight or be called cowards.
(b) Fight, or we'll shoot you.
(c) Comforting lies
(d) The truth
5. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
(a) A tree full of crows.
(b) A gravestone with his family name on it.
(c) A white stone angel with arms outstretched.
(d) A gate that is hanging off its hinges.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
2. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
3. What is different about the way Buford has his cavalry soldiers fight?
4. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
5. What is the difficulty Lee's army has with being in Pennsylvania?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)