|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Friday, July 3, 1863, Chapter 3, Chamberlain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Fremantle say the English have not entered the war?
(a) They believe the North will win in the end.
(b) They are engaged in their own war with France.
(c) They don't have the resources.
(d) They will not fight to support slavery.
2. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
(b) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(c) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(d) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
3. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(b) He has been hired as a spy.
(c) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
(d) He is observing for the Queen.
4. What does Longstreet want Lee to do now that the Union army is retreating?
(a) Interrogate the prisoners to find out the Union's overall strategy.
(b) Call a truce to discuss the Union's surrender.
(c) Attack with all force.
(d) Disengage and move the troops between Gettysburg and D.C.
5. What prediction does Hancock make about the Rebels?
(a) They will concentrate on the left.
(b) They will retreat before noon.
(c) They will strike again, this time in the middle.
(d) They will attack the right flank again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Longstreet struggling with throughout the chapter?
2. What news does Tom bring Chamberlain?
3. Which of these is NOT a reason Longstreet gives for why Meade will not attack?
4. What happens to Kilrain in the battle?
5. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)