|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
(a) It is the first time Buford is happy to see the appearance of higher command.
(b) Buford is more frightened of Reynolds than of Heth.
(c) Buford is angry that it has taken Reynolds so long to respond.
(d) Buford is disappointed that Reynolds is taking command.
2. What is Chamberlain told to do to the mutineers if they will not fight?
(a) Hang them.
(b) Shoot them.
(c) Court-martial them.
(d) Release them from the army.
3. How does Lee calm his worries?
(a) He takes a drink of whisky.
(b) He confers with Longstreet.
(c) He breathes deeply.
(d) He prays quickly.
4. For what is Pickett notorious?
(a) Getting in fights after drinking too much.
(b) Playing practical jokes on his fellow officers.
(c) Finishing last in his class at West Point.
(d) Giving nicknames to the soldiers under his command.
5. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
(a) His 3000 men hold off Longstreet's 25,000 for six hours.
(b) He creates a rockslide, taking out an entire Rebel division.
(c) He beats a Rebel officer in hand-to-hand combat.
(d) His men capture the most Rebel prisoners in the war so far.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
2. How long does Buford hope to hold the Rebel soldiers at bay?
3. Who is described, upon his arrival, as looking "like a French king, all curls and feathers?"
4. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
5. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)