|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Reynolds no longer in command?
(a) He has been killed.
(b) His horse gets startled by the cannonfire and runs off with him.
(c) Gen. Meade has arrived and removed him from command.
(d) He has been severely injured and is taken to the hospital tent.
2. Why doesn't Lee believe there are Union cavalry in Gettysburg?
(a) Cavalry travels behind infantry, not in front of it.
(b) He believes Stuart would have told him if the cavalry were arriving there.
(c) The Union army has lost so many of its horses, it can no longer support a cavalry.
(d) Gettysburg is known to be sympathetic with the Southern cause.
3. What is the situation when Reynolds arrives?
(a) Buford's troops are holding, but barely.
(b) Buford's troops are soundly beating the Rebels.
(c) The Rebels have taken over Buford's headquarters.
(d) Buford has given up command to a junior officer.
4. Why is Fremantle, the Englishman, in Longstreet's camp?
(a) He is planning to write a book about American customs.
(b) He has been hired as a spy.
(c) He is hoping to sell new guns to the Confederate army.
(d) He is observing for the Queen.
5. What catches Buford's eye in the cemetery?
(a) A gravestone with his family name on it.
(b) A white stone angel with arms outstretched.
(c) A tree full of crows.
(d) A gate that is hanging off its hinges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these name is NOT used to refer to General Lee?
2. What has happened to Heth?
3. What had been Chamberlain's job before joining the army?
4. How is Gettysburg best described?
5. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)