|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Wednesday, July 1, 1863, The First Day, Chapter 3, Lee.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens just before dawn when the battle is about to begin?
(a) The moon sets in a reddish haze.
(b) There is a shower of shooting stars.
(c) Lightning strikes a tree on a hill.
(d) A misty rain begins to fall.
2. Who is Buford initially facing?
3. What is causing Lee frustration at the start of the battle?
(a) He has more troops, yet the Union seems to be winning already.
(b) He has still heard nothing from Stuart.
(c) His officers are not following his orders.
(d) His health is preventing him from getting close to the action.
4. What message does Reynolds send to his commanders?
(a) Get between Gettysburg and Washington, D.C., to prevent further movement north by the Rebels.
(b) Do nothing until you receive orders from Meade.
(c) Come to Gettysburg with all possible speed.
(d) Start to gather your troops and await further messages.
5. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
(a) He has to think up a code in case the enemy got hold of the message.
(b) He has an argument with his superior and does not want to apologize.
(c) He does not want his superiors to think he cannot handle the battle.
(d) He has written for help before and it has never come.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about Buford's reaction to Reynolds' arrival?
2. Why is Kilrain only a private?
3. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
4. What is Chamberlain told to do to the mutineers if they will not fight?
5. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)