|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the slave shot?
(a) He assaults an officer.
(b) He runs from the Confederate ranks.
(c) He asks directions from a white woman.
(d) He tries to help another slave escape.
2. Why does Buford make his headquarters at the Seminary?
(a) He will have a good view from the cupola.
(b) He could quickly get extra ammunition to the troops from there.
(c) His orders arre to use a brick building as his headquarters.
(d) The thick walls will protect him from the gunfire.
3. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
(a) His marching song now known as "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah."
(b) His lullaby now known as "Taps."
(c) His patriotic song now known as "The Star-Spangled Banner."
(d) His love song now known as "My Darlin' Clementine."
4. What is Buford's main concern?
(a) His men will not be able to hold out long enough for help to arrive.
(b) His men will run out of ammunition and have to fight with bayonets.
(c) The ground they are defending is in a poor position.
(d) He himself will be killed in the gunfire.
5. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) Lee has been killed in battle.
(b) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(c) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
(d) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feat does Buford accomplish at Thorofare Gap?
2. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
3. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
4. How do things change when Chamberlain and his men enter Pennsylvania?
5. To whom does Buford send a message regarding the Rebel troops?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)