|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Thursday, July 2, 1863, The Second Day, Chapter 2, Chamberlain.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor circulates among the men to help boost morale?
(a) Extra troops are coming and will be relieving the Maine men in the morning.
(b) General McClellan has assumed command of the army.
(c) The Rebels have been routed from Gettysburg.
(d) Lee has been killed in battle.
2. What does Buford conclude when the Rebel troops pull back?
(a) Lee has turned -- it's the main body of the Rebel army.
(b) The Rebels are scared to face Union soldiers.
(c) The battle will take place outside of town.
(d) They went to the wrong place by mistake.
3. How does the battle continue without Reynolds?
(a) The remaining commanders begin to argue about strategy.
(b) The Union soldiers quickly begin to fall apart.
(c) The troops follow his orders, though he's not there to command.
(d) The Rebels start to gain control.
4. What does Corse find out about the young woman Buford has seen in town?
(a) Her husband is an undertaker.
(b) Her husband is a prisoner in a Southern camp.
(c) She is a Southern sympathizer.
(d) She is a widow.
5. To whom does Buford once more send a message?
(a) John Reynolds
(b) Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
(c) Gen. Meade
(d) Col. Vincent
Short Answer Questions
1. What song of Dan Butterfield's becomes well known?
2. Why does Buford wave to the Rebel officer?
3. What surprises Chamberlain about his interaction with the escaped slave?
4. What is described as "that ripply sound that raised the hair, that high thin scream from far away... terrible, inhuman"?
5. Why does Buford pause when writing for help?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)