Objective: Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy In the opening chapter, we are introduced to the relationship between Lee and Longstreet, a relationship that will prove to be important throughout the novel. The objective of this lesson is to examine this relationship and the foreshadowing it offers.
1) Review foreshadowing as a class, if necessary.
2) Divide the class into small groups. Each group should create a visual of the relationship between Lee and Longstreet as introduced in this chapter.
3) Allow time for the groups to share their visuals with the class.
4) Class discussion: How do you think this relationship foreshadows events to come in the novel? Why do you think the author chose to open the novel with this relationship?
5) Homework: Write a journal entry as Harrison, the spy, about your encounter with the revered Lee.
Objective: Monday, June 29, 1863, Chapter 1, The Spy In the opening chapter, the scene...
This section contains 4,961 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)