|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome appreciates that the Eppys...
2. As food for the raccoons, Donald has brought...
3. At the table, Emma Lou and Donald gently argue about...
4. When she arrives for dinner, Emma Lou...
5. For the Christmas party, Jerome is expecting...
Short Essay Questions
1. When Emma proves that Monarch's mother was killed by a lion, how does she react? How does she feel about her reaction?
2. Why does Jerome decide to give Emma money for Christmas, rather than a gift?
3. Discus Jerome's developing attitude toward Donald. Why does he not go ahead and welcome Donald to come visit?
4. What activities seem to bring the two kids together? Why?
5. Jerome is more comfortable with Emma Lou and Donald now. Why?
6. Why is Jerome feeling stressful?
7. Discuss what Emma has managed to teach the skunks to do as tricks.
8. What can the reader deduce about Jerome's cooking skills? Why?
9. Why does Donald choose to go to the country school where Emma goes? Does he have hidden motives?
10. Briefly summarize up the happy-ending pieces to this story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerome is able to bridge the gap between the two cultures of the Eppys and the Cabots. How does he do this? Is it inadvertent? From what social class is Jerome Kildee, himself?
Essay Topic 2
Is Jerome Kildee a poor man? If not, how does the reader know? Do a careful reading of the story and find passages that reveal hints about Jerome's financial status, and draw your conclusions in a persuasive essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of taming wild raccoons. Research to find out what kinds of problems, laws and other issues face people who allow raccoons to become pets. In conclusion, advise and convince your audience as to your educated opinion on domesticating raccoons.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)